The songs in my pocket just crumble apart

Petite Cour lovelies | Maison du Coeur

POSTED: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:22 pm

She did not feel triumphant after avenging their wounded and their fallen. She did not feel at peace knowing that one of the malefactors responsible for so much unnecessary fear and suffering and destruction was dead by her own axe. She did not feel satisfied knowing that his accomplices, too, had met similarly appropriate fates.

Their livestock were still gone. Chien Hotel was still only ash. The dead were still dead.

Thyri touched her vacant belly with the palm of one hand and looked up, her eyes cast against the perfect little earthen domes that were their homes. Though their stables were abandoned now, and the coops and the pens that hugged the stream quieter, they still had their physical homes.

And she still had her garden.

"I should've known you'd be here."

A blink cleared her thoughts and the Dawnbringer's eyes focused on the shape of her mate. "Where else?" she replied, trying to screw her face into a smile. She knew Merlin wasn't convinced by it and added: "Do you want to help?"

"Garden?" he asked, pulling a face that suggested he would sooner kill anything green he touched rather than help it. This time, Thyri's smile was genuine as she took a playful swipe at him.

"Oh, stop," she said lightly, her lips still turned upwards. "It's not like I'm going to ask you to plant anything." Thyri paused while Merlin played at being relieved and then said, "But I could use some help tilling some of this soil."

Anything was better than nothing.

OOC: For Petite Cour members who might want to help Thyri garden and maybe reminisce about old times. Max 2 other participants please.

[WC — 264]

Petite Cour
Apothicaire
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Thu May 09, 2019 9:50 am

The mountain of things that I still regret
Is a vile reminder that I would rather just forget

OOC: This thread looked lonely so have a Biki. +300 words.

It was not something that was pleasant to think about.. the battle that had broken the Court up and left the few members behind in its wake. So many were able to leave on their attackers warnings, which was good to be sure... but those that remained behind were left to deal with the loss, to watch the hotel go up in flames, and to live in the constant reminder that the home they all shared now was the last thing standing of a once grand pack.

And no doubt no one took this harder than Kalypso. Still, they all pressed on, and they did it together.

Hibiki was pleased that the workshop he had put so much effort into was still standing. It gave him the chance to still do a great amount of good for their small band. He could make weapons to make up for what had been lost, making sure they were at least armed to protect themselves. There were so many more possibilities on creating things from the metal scraps that he had. All the others needed to do was ask.

Light blue gaze moved among the mound houses, most of them empty now. Even his own home seemed to feel a bit empty now.

Then they caught something ahead of his path. The familiar pelt of Thyri was there along with someone else. She was in her garden. A smile managed to make his way onto his face when he saw her playfully swipe at the other man. Even in their current situation, being amongst those that were still left standing, it was nice to see these small moments of joy sprinkled in.

Padding over to the pair, Hibiki brushed his kimono, crossing his arms lightly, "Hey Thyri. Need a hand with anything? I'm free for now."

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

POSTED: Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm

There was a look of something almost cunning in the way his lips quirked, crooked and sharp. Thyri narrowed her eyes quizzically, her small smile frozen on her face. "So you can get a good look at these puppies?" he asked through a playfully toothy smirk, patting a decidedly modest bicep with the fingers of his other hand.

And, despite how the word he chose to use caused a pang of grief to flutter in her heart, Thyri laughed.

"Please," she breathed in playful exasperation, rolling her eyes. "If I wanted that, I would've married Skoll." The sound of a familiar voice shifted her attention and Thyri looked beyond her mate to the shape of Hibiki approaching them. Merlin's ridiculous display of faux manliness dissolved as he twisted to the man's voice.

Thyri dipped her dark nose in acknowledgement and nearly answered him with his former Courtier title but caught herself quickly, painfully. "Hibiki," she greeted while Merlin gave a small wave and a nod. "Actually, if you're offering, I could use some help." After a brief glance at Merlin, she turned to her garden, where the patches of soil lay dark amidst blankets of soft green. "Before I can plant anything, these beds need tilling," she explained, looking at Hibiki again. "I usually just use my hands, or shift and use my paws, but there might be some useful tool left behind." After everything.

"I'll be helping too," Merlin said with assurance, as though assuming that Hibiki might be having second thoughts about his offer to help. "It probably won't take too long."

"It shouldn't," Thyri agreed, looking back over her meager beds sadly. "There aren't too many to till, after all." Had things been different, there might have been more.

OOC: Thank you for joining meeeee! <3

[WC — 300]

Petite Cour
Apothicaire
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 pm

OOC: +300 words.

It must have been hard for both of them, both having been used to addressing to one another by rank. Thyri had been a higher rank than even he was when the Court was standing strong. She must have worked very hard to get herself to that position... and then to have it all fall apart on them. Perhaps it was a similar thing that Kalypso was going through to some level... but more so something to adjust to rather than something that was eating away at her.

Even so, his head dipped respectfully to the light colored woman as well as Merlin upon his approach to where they were talking.

The dark male had never really been tasked with doing anything related to gardening before, not even recalling a single instance where he might have done so back in Sapient. Perhaps the only thing he could think of were in terms of some of his mother's teachings, but given her treatment of him, they were few and far between. Still, that didn't keep him from turning away. If someone needed help, then who was he to pass them up when he had nothing else going on?

Hibiki was careful as he made his way into the garden, lowing himself down near one of the beds. His head moved over to Thryi, giving her a soft smile, "I can't say I've ever done something like this before. Do you mind showing me how to do one so I can help with the rest?" No harm in that right?

As they all got about to work, ears pulled back slightly. It wasn't hard to catch on to the mentality of many of the Petite Cour members after what had happened to their home. Doing his best to be supportive and optimistic had been his thing. After all, Sapient was not his home like the Court had been. Uttering a soft sigh, his gaze turned towards the bed he was currently working with, "How have you both been doing?"

They surely knew since when he was referring.

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

POSTED: Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 pm

The respectful dipping of Hibiki's dark head did not go unnoticed nor underappreciated, though neither Thyri did nothing to acknowledge as much. Merlin, on the other hand, gave the younger man a warm smile and a small nod – a sympathetic gesture that suggested the Knight himself had slipped up and done the same once or twice before.

They were in good company, these refugees of the Court. At least they had each other. At least there was that.

Thyri watched the large hybrid as he carefully padded towards her gardens and crouched before one of the beds that she had painstakingly outlined with stone, forming a short little border. How bright the future of their little gardens – their little lives – had been, before the winds of winter had brought in The Tide. Again, the urge to touch her lifeless belly struck and Thyri fought against it with a straightening of her shoulders.

"No," she replied firmly, as though she were responding also to her heart's desire to grieve. And then, gentler: "Not at all." Stepping past Hibiki, the wheaten Dawnbringer entered the bed he crouched beside and lowered herself down to her knees. The earth was soft and cold and damp. "Shifting down is more comfortable, but you can use your claws to dig through the soil like this too."

Looking away from him again, Thyri leaned forward and dug her fingers into the dark earth and broke up the surface of the soil until it was light and fluffy. "You just keep on like that, until the entire bed is broken up down the length of your hand." Unbeknownst to her, Merlin had shifted to his Lupus form and was in an adjacent bed, digging with wild abandon as though he were a house pet of yore taking advantage of an inattentive master. Thyri gave a short, soft laugh when he turned to them, his tongue flopping out of his mouth, and looked at Hibiki again. "Or, you could do it that way, too."

While Merlin worked on his own bed, Thyri decided to share Hibiki's in the hopes that their teamwork would get the job done more quickly. She was quiet, digging up the earth while her thoughts stilled, but glanced at her companion when he spoke. "We're getting by," she replied after some moments of silence, returning to her work. "There isn't much of an alternative." A soft sigh. "Things like this help; it feels like we're at least controlling some part of our lives."

Brushing her forehead with the back of her hand, Thyri turned to Hibiki again briefly before returning to her work. "How about you, Hibiki?" It dawned on her that it had been some time since she could remember seeing the women – what had her name been? Kadir. – she had last accepted into the Court before The Tide. What had ever become of her? She didn't want to ask. "How are you adjusting?

[WC — 497]

Petite Cour
Apothicaire
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 pm

OOC: +400 words.

Sometimes, it was more a habit that Hibiki still dipped his head in respect to the other members of the Petite Cour. So many of them had been well above his rank before they had fallen, and so he could not help but still bow his head to them, even if now they were all on equal footing with one another.

The dark male had been careful of his footing as he made his way into the garden. He never was light footed, suited more for someone of combat or the task that he had given himself of blacksmith, but he could adjust. They all had to pull their strengths together to make it as the small band they were.

Light blue gaze moved over to Thyri, watching as she took to the bed at the side of him, using her hands to fluff up the earth. She was clear about the distance that she wanted, and the male followed along with her movements on the bed sitting in front of him. One hand moved down every so often to make sure he was getting the right amount of distance. Both heads moved up to Merlin after his shift to see him using alternative methods. He couldn't help but chuckle, "I think I'll stick to doing it this way. I'm already here in the garden."

As he came to the end of the first bed, he slide over gently, beginning the next one. He gave a small nod to the light woman's answer to his question, "Every small bit helps. My workshop is still in working order, so I've been working to have some items in stock to defend ourselves... should we need to again."

Ears pulled back a bit as the question had been tossed his direction. His mind had been so focused on the Cour's success in the wake of this destruction... and Kadir. He had not seen her since the battle. He prayed that she was alright. He shook his head gently, offering a small sigh, "I've been adjusting well enough. I've just been trying to make sure everyone else is alright."

He paused before he continued, "I've been over to Casa a fair amount, both to check on Cidro and my nephew. I learned at the ball out my brother's new family."

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

POSTED: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:19 pm

Her pale jade eyes swept over Merlin again, shining with adoration despite the hopeless expression that knitted her brows and quirked her lips. "I can't imagine why," she said with small chuckle, offering Hibiki a rueful shake of her head at her husband's playful antics.

But, silly and immature as they were, Merlin's actions were like a soothing salve to the searing pain that still assaulted her heart.

Dislodging a length of vein-like roots from between her fingers, Thyri looked up from her own work and lifted her brows. "That's great, Hibiki," she said with approval, happy to know that his workshop remained safe from the fire that had demolished their new Community Hall.

The Dawnbringer's eyes hardened when he mentioned his goal to keep them well-stocked with tools of defense, allowing them to drop to the earth again. She swallowed, her lips tight. "I hope we will never need them," she began, glancing at the blacksmith fleetingly. "But I appreciate your foresight." The smile she coaxed to her lips was forced.

Ever the pessimist, Thyri was already convinced Hibiki's work would eventually be put to use.

When she looked at the dark hybrid again, it was with surprise. "Your nephew?" she repeated. "Ah." Yes, the ball; the masquerade: the last good, beautiful, peaceful event to grace their fair court. "I trust they're doing well?" Casa had been a comfortable place to live, back when she had called it home, and its leadership had always seemed to her to be sound. She swallowed the knot that had formed in her throat. "And Cidro?"

In an adjacent garden bed, Merlin rose and shook his thick pelt free of the dirt, weeds, and other debris it had collected before he padded slowly toward Hibiki and Thyri, as cautiously curious as his mate was to know how Cidro was doing.

[WC — 316]

Petite Cour
Apothicaire
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

OOC: I left the bit about Cidro a bit vague since our thread is still being played out. +400 words.

All three of them were hard at work, making sure that the garden was getting taken care of. Hibiki's gaze had shifted at one point to the other two around him, watching them and the way they looked with one another. A smile creased along his muzzle before it soon faded. Kadir was gone from his life again, and so soon after having found her again. Was it a sign of some kind? Should he just move on and not wait for her like he had been?

It was such a complicated answer to try and find for himself.

Blocking such thought out for another time, he returned to their tasks. Thyri had been quick to turn an upbeat tone on the news that his workshop had survived, though slowly turned sour by what he had been doing with it. The battle was still fresh in all their minds, and he had only been doing what he thought would be necessary to protect their small band from something like that happening again. He gave a nod in agreement to her words however, "Yes.. I hope we won't ever have to use them again."

Thinking on his extended family was a bit.. hard at times. There was no doubt that all of them were doing well in Casa, but it was not without its fair share of complications. He gave a soft sigh, "They are doing well, but I have my concerns.. Borya, my nephew, has been.. injured since birth, and from what I understand it's because-" He stopped himself for a moment. He never liked to consider the beast of a man his father, but there was no doubt that the tan woman would know of the man by name. Instead, he continued, lacing the next couple of words with disgust, "-my father attacked his mother during her pregnancy. She doesn't know where my brother is either."

That was not her fault though, and he could not blame her for such a thing. It was his hope that one day they would find Zetsubou, and bring him to his family. He couldn't be dead.

Brushing away the malice, he corrected his tone, "But that is not stopping him from enjoying his life, and he has been working hard."

Moving on to the other name mentioned, to this he gave a nod, "Cidro too has been doing well. I have no doubts that the Lune and Casa will be able to keep him safe and help him to recover more from what happened."

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

Seabreeze Brink