One Stone

P - Izrian

POSTED: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:26 am

Time: Late afternoon, sometime around 5 PM (backdated to 24th August)
Place: On the border of Casa di Cavalieri's Berwick claim
Weather: Cloudy with moderately-warm temperatures and lots of humidity

Those little bastards.

It was a band of dogs and coymixes that Shale could scent. They were moving northwest at a rapid pace, following the coast like she had. The deer were plentiful this year, and it smelled like they were following a large herd's trail. If they were smart, there was plenty of meat hide, antler and bone they could work and trade with. Tanners paid well for any manure and organs harvested, provided the kills were timely and handled with care.

Why, then, did they feel the need to raid the few snares Shale made of vines and tree roots? She only had three to catch some rabbits or birds with, and all three had been cut and looted. Those responsible weren't smart, sloppy in hiding their tracks and scent as they fled. Shale wasn't sure how she was going to get her kills back, but she could at least see who'd done the deed. Maybe the wolf could steal something of theirs, and pawn it off to some feckless loner for food or hides.

The wolf moved quick through the undergrowth, staying low and in the underbrush. With practiced care, Shale wove and slunk through the foliage with a light step. Her coat wrapped around her waist as a crude sash, snagging on brambles and thorns now and then. The sensible part of her knew it was wiser to leave her clothing, but she couldn't bear the thought of abandoning it. Even if she could follow a scent trail back to it, who wasn't to say an animal or another Luperci wouldn't come by and take it? It wasn't as if Shale could leave a stern note - for one, she had no paper. It wasn't likely if someone would care about a note if she did, though.

The breeze shifted from downwind to upwind, and Shale thanked her luck. The former forced her to disguise her scent, achieved through woodsmoke and rubbing pine needles all over. Her nose itched from the interference her disguise made; it was only because of a fresh trail that she followed the thieves so well. Not only did she not have to worry about her natural odor, but it was easier to pinpoint where her prey was going. Not only were they headed northwest, they - and she, by extension - were on route to somewhere with a lot of horses. There also was the tang of metal in a forge, and the distinct fragrance of fresh-cut and well-worked wood.

This was a settlement. She knew a pack laid claim to part of the coast south of Drifter's Bay, just across the water. Could the band that had raided her traps come from beyond its sharp-scented borders?
Last edited by Shale on Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:16 pm

Izrian Firebringer
Word Count → +4 :: OOC: Thanks so much for starting!

Casa was buzzing with the activity surrounding the influx of deer in the area. Most minds were on scouting out the herds and hunting, or preparing the meat for the feast at the end of the month, or many other exciting activities around this bountiful time. While Izrian was certainly thanking Freya for the gift of prey, she was also a little on edge. With a large population of animals like that and so many predators surrounding Casa, including other Luperci, the chance that loners or other predators would be lurking near or even trespassing onto Casa territory was much higher.

And so when she wasn’t out hunting or prepping more arrows for hunting, Izrian was patrolling. It was a busy time but those were exactly the times she liked best. That day had started out the same, with a morning patrol of the borders with a keen nose testing the winds for the smell of intruders. The morning provided nothing out of the ordinary, but after a day of prepping arrows she needed to stretch her legs and so, she’d taken off for another patrol, heading up towards Wolfville and Berwick. She was getting close to the latter when her nose twitched, and her steps halted. Suddenly, those cornflower blue eyes narrowed and her lips pulled back to reveal sharp, white canines.

There was someone, or someones, on Casa territory that didn’t belong.

The seasoned guardian picked up her step and followed the scent, ensuring her footfalls were as quiet as could be. Her ears were pushed forward and it wasn’t long before she heard the sounds of hushed voices chattering back, laughing about something or other. As she got closer she could smell even clearer who they were – dogs and coyotes, or coyote halflings. Izrian maintained her upwind advantage and watched them from behind a large tree, squinting to check and see if they had weapons. There were four of them in total, two of them at least had knives that she could see, one was very young – no more than a yearling, and the other looked like he was favoring an injured leg.

The Firebringer quelled the growl in her throat as she assessed the situation, considering loosing an arrow as a warning shot before proclaiming them as trespassers. That did seem to be the best course of action and so she notched an arrow, aiming it for the space of tree trunk a hair to the left of the most boisterous of the trespassers – a cocky-sounding male bragging on about their loot from snares some misfortuned trapper had set.

That sealed it – they were trespasses and thieves – and Izrian let her arrow fly without another second’s consideration.

Template by Kitty

POSTED: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:31 pm

The whistle of an arrow lasted less than a second. The head pierced the wood of a young oak with a loud chnk, the band yelping like their tails had been set on fire. Shale heard a young boy's voice begin to scream, the sound cut off with an older mix's growl and snap. The dark bitch moved through the underbrush like water, knife at the ready and teeth bared to fight.

The thieves, meanwhile, had gathered in a circle. The oldest of the group had grabbed the youngest's jaws in a vice grip, staring into the trees. All four had their hackles raised, teeth bared and knives at the ready. One was knocking an arrow, but it was clear he was experienced and struggling with the bow. It looked too big for him, and either he didn't have the back muscles to use it or the bowstring was too tight.

It wasn't long before Shale was upon them. Her eyes were angry and glaring, the dark wolf resisting the urge to leap out and knife one in the back. "Who's there, asshole?!" the oldest coymix barked, snapping his teeth on the last syllable. The scent of metal and logging was even stronger here, and Shale glanced around the clearing the band was in. From her hiding spot, she couldn't see anyone else, but she could smell someone new. A female. Wolf?

"I said, 'Come out!'" the oldest coymix barked. The archer with them, frustrated with his bow, settled for grabbing a broadhead and tossing it into the forest as a warning. His comrades looked at him with disgust, save for the elder with the youngster's mouth in his hand. He was still staring into the trees, daring whoever was there to try and shoot at him again.
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:17 pm

Izrian Firebringer
Word Count → +3 :: OOC: So sorry for the wait!

The sound of her arrow hitting the oak tree unleashed chaos, as the band of thieves cried out and grabbed their weapons. Within seconds Izrian had another arrow notched and sent it flying so it whistled just past the wrist of the thief that was nocking an arrow, a final message before she revealed herself to them. Knives she could handle easily, her throwing daggers were in her boots and she had a knife on her belt as well. It was the archer she wanted to scare shitless - which didn’t appear to be a difficult task as the second arrow sent him screaming and scrambling backwards. The apparent leader of the band called out, demanding to know who was there, and so she revealed herself.

As she shouldered her way through the trees and stepped into their view, the Firebringer had her shoulders squared, her head held high and her tail up in a dominant, aggressive position. I am Izrian Firebringer of Casa di Cavalieri, on whose claimed lands you stand, she said, her voice laced with a threatening growl - though each word was articulate, firm, impossible to be missed.

I suggest you find yourselves on the other side of the border, or the next strike won’t be in warning, she continued, flicking her bow back and over her shoulder and pulling her knife from her belt, holding it loosely and at her side. There was no need for her to brandish it right now - the shewolf was exuding confidence and dominance, and her bright blue eyes burned at the thieves for the crime they were committing.

She picked up the scent of another in the forest, but it didn’t appear that the female was part of this troupe - she didn’t smell like them, and so Izrian didn’t call attention to her just yet. Depending on the thieves’ reaction to her demands, the other might come in handy - or she could be part of it after all and Izrian could find herself in a five-to-one situation...not something she hadn’t handled once in life already, after all.

Template by Kitty

POSTED: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:59 am

The oldest one sneered at her. The others growled and raised their bottle-brush tails, bodies and lips rigid. "You and what army?" the leader growled, letting go of the youngest's jaws so he could cross his arms. "I smell one bitch and a whole pack a mile away. You could give them a yell, yeah, but I doubt you could get them here in - "

A rock came flying out of the opposite direction with the force of the dark woman's anger. Not keen to watch a bloodbath or for arrows to hit her in the bush, she picked up the largest rock she could see. Squinting her red eyes, she threw that stone like a shot-put, nailing the idiot coymix in the back of his thick skull. He made a gargled yelp and teetered forward, his companions jumping back in surprise. Shale took the moment to slide out of the bushes and bolt towards the archer, grabbing him by the scruff as he turned. He yipped as she pulled him off his feet, holding him to her chest as she glared at the others. They yelped and pulled out a long knife each, Shale's own pressing into the neck of the bowman.

"The lady said that you should leave," the black bitch growled. "Before you do, I'd like my rabbits back, or at least what's left." Her red gaze flickered over to the terrified and indignant face of the coymix in her grasp.

"Or maybe I could skin this bastard and call it even. What do you think, boys?"
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:06 am

Izrian Firebringer
Word Count → +2 :: OOC

Izrian didn’t back down at the sneer. That firm, blue steel expression remained on her face even as the rock came flying out - one tawny ear flicked backward to pick up the sounds from where it came from, but those striking blue eyes stayed transfixed on the apparent leader. Chaos seemed to erupt behind and then around them as one of the moron thieves was struck with a large rock, causing them all to jump and then a dark woman sprung from the bush to snag up another one of them.

Of course, none of this had been planned, but the thieves didn’t need to know that. The woman deftly slid her hand down and brought out one of the knives stashed in her boot and methodically advanced on the leader, holding the blade loosely and walking with pure confidence. Any further questions? she asked the leader, in a mockingly polite tone. Return my friend’s rabbits, and turn tail, or we’ll gut and skewer each one of you.

The trapped coymix was in the process of wetting himself and the leader’s tough outer appearance was starting to crack. Izrian took advantage of this and lunged forward, slicing her blade across the male’s face so his cheek split open and the blood started to flow. At that point, one of the other thieves straight up turned and bolted to run, leaving their bleeding leader, two angry females and the sniveling coymix behind.

Template by Kitty

POSTED: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Shale was a hardened bitch, but not a violent one. The dark wolf didn't fear spilling blood when it came to defending her and her own. Despite this, a small sneer twisted across the otherwise-stoic muzzle of the woman. The coymix was yelping and begging for his life, his fellow thieves tearing away in a chorus of yips and yowls. He'd probably never see them again, or if he did, they'd likely squabble and go for each other's throats. Such was the life of lowly folk as they.

"Shut up!" snapped Shale, jaws coming together close to the coymix's ear. His cries ceased, mouth clamped shut as the huge female leaned in. "Now," Shale growled, "the goods. Where are my rabbits?"

The coymix pointed at the ground. Shale threw him aside almost two feet away, the bastard crying out as he landed. Stalking over to her prey, Shale grabbed off the dirt and glared in disgust, the stiff bodies half-torn. It looked like the bandits had half-chewed some of them apart, saving the scraps for later. Shale turned to face the terrified male, lips pulling back.

"I'm going to say this once and once only. If you ever, ever poach my trap lines again, I'm going to drag you back here, let my friend gut you, and make a rug out of your hide. Don't you ever trespass on someone's land again or take what's not yours, especially if you catch our scent. Do I make myself clear?"

The coymix nodded, wordless. A growl came out of Shale, punctuated as she snapped her teeth again with, "Now, GET!" The bark rang out through the wood, and the thief tucked his tail and ran, sprinting away to where the others had gone. Expression softening to a mild, sour pout, Shale looked back at the one who'd helped her.

"My apologies, ma'am," the wolf said, lowering her ears and tucking her tail a little. "I didn't mean to trespass. I'll grab what's left and leave the less-ruined animals for you, as a thanks."
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

Dead Topics