my sense of fear is wearing thin

AW

POSTED: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:09 am

All Welcome for one. @ Spring Heights [521]

There was only one way to keep the worry, the guilt, and the fright away. And that was to adventure.

Ocèane’s wanderlust often proved a blessing more than a curse; she was never bored when she was exploring, and therefore she could always go traveling and be entertained enough to keep her slew of heavy emotions and worries away. So when the day came that AniWaya proved a bore and had nothing for her to do, she leaped for the opportunity to get away. Today, she went the opposite direction she commonly went in. West, towards the tribe’s old lands, but also towards the skeletal human city, Hailfax.

The Hineyu didn’t spend much time in human structures. Frankly, they just creeped her out. She’d had too much experience with human objects (namely a bear trap which almost cost her a foot), and preferred to stay away from them. But the day was warmer than usual, the snow was soft, and the distant human city seemed to be calling for her to investigate. So she threw her deerskin satchel over her shoulder and pointed her nose in the direction of the dilapidated spiral buildings.

Hailfax seemed more cold than the forest; all gray and hard concrete. Simply uninviting. But the Aston didn’t even hesitate as she stepped from forest floor to old, cracked road. Her body switched onto scan for danger automatically as she moved ever deeper into the unfamiliar lands. Ocèane had been on the outskirts several times before, and was quick to maneuver past the bare and uninteresting buildings. What she really had her sights on was the heart of the city. And it didn’t take her long to get there; the highway she followed led her straight to what she was looking for: a library. Past the entryway she went, slipping into a cool and eerily silent room, full of floor-to-ceiling shelves. The dancer could only imagine what the library had looked like in its glory days; dusted clean and bursting with colorful volumes. Now, it was broken, overgrown with creeping mosses and weeds, and picked clean.

She moved quietly but quickly, scanning each and every shelf to see if anything of interest remained. As expected, there was nothing worth taking a second glance at. So she moved to more intrusive techniques; scanning the walls for large cracks where thin books may hide. She found one there. And then looking underneath the blanket of wilted ivy and weeds; she plucked another one from where it had been forgotten under a carpet of growth. She tipped and scooted old, rotting furniture for any novels hiding therein; and she was rewarded with two more. She smirked at the empty shelves, as if mocking their ability to discourage her. And then she began to scale an old bookcase which had been built into the wall and stood at least ten feet high. Its top was quite wide, and she sat with her feet off the edge rather comfortably. Now satisfied with both her view and her findings, she curled up with her back against the wall and opened the first volume.

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 am

OOC: Hello! C: WC: 522

Aithne often frequented the city, and the library was one of the hot spots that he visited most often. Spring Heights was his favorite part of Halifax, with its expansive garden, bridges, and libraries. The infrastructure of the place was interesting to him all on its own, how things were connected and how humans must have traveled on these roads back when they'd still been alive. He had seen many rusted out cars, trucks, and vehicles but knew what a fresh, brand new one looked like from pictures he had seen in a children's book about automobiles. Over time at the library, he'd found that books written for children were very informative and often had large pictures to go along with the text. He was a lover of more classic novels, but these thin and colorful books were his kryptonite.

Many of the tomes here were missing covers, ripped or moldy. The fact that they hadn't been in a temperature-controlled environment and exposure to rain and snow had done a vast majority of them in. He didn't consider the moldy books necessarily unreadable based on that fact alone, but if they were moldy it usually meant that they'd been exposed to moisture and the pages of these books would stick to one another like glue. He was still looking for a way to try and restore books like this, to dry them out or put them in a container to kill the mold out. Aithne hated to see good books go to waste and had been taking as many as he could carry back with him whenever he'd visit.

His love of human artifacts and knowledge had the male's large manor bedroom looking more like a museum lately than anything else, though, so today he was holding back on how many he took with him. A few crumpled and dirty children's books were all he had in his hands as he made his way through the expansive library for one final look. He had a very hard time resisting and took two more, slipping them into the backpack he carried over his shoulders. He looked somewhat like a typical library patron today, with his bookbag, jeans, and red hooded sweatshirt.

Aithne's companion, an osprey named Yu, had chosen to stay back at the manor and sleep after some vigorous training the day before, but he didn't mind going it alone. Much of his youth had been spent in solitude by choice, surrounded by books and human artifacts that fed his imagination like a fire. Not paying much attention, he walked past a couple of lower bookshelves then quickly down a different aisle. The male heard a small movement and looked up, green eyes widening considerably as a pair of legs came into view, hanging over the top of a bookcase. He jumped in shock and surprise, backing up into a set of empty shelves. Down everything went, taking the next set of shelves with them in a domino effect, and then the next. When the dust settled he sat in shock for a moment and coughed, the air knocked out of him.
Last edited by Aithne Marino on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:12 am

Heyo, thanks for jumping in c: [471]

The first book was thin, and what probably used to be a bright red, but had now faded to a darker maroon. Its cover was tattered, and the edges gnawed on, probably by rats looking for food- but it was still in a decent shape compared to many of the practically unreadable books she had found out in the open. As she opened it, she began to scan its worn pages, finding that it was, in fact, a children’s book. She read the few words scattered among the pages slowly and haltingly, for her reading experience was little and quite rusty, but still she endured- and enjoyed the pictures as she went along. It wasn’t hard for Ocèane to glean the general story- it told the tale of a mother duck who’s eggs had just hatched some fluffy baby chicks. But one was not like the others; this duckling was larger, and an ugly gray color. Throughout the story, the chick is rejected, until the end, where he looks in the water and realizes he has become a beautiful swan-

A scrabble followed by a loud boom caused the Hineyu to be jerked from her reading, and she dropped the book in surprise, and down the ten feet to the cold floor it fell. Luckily, it landed closed, and Ocèane had only barely enough time to assess no damage had been done when another scrape and rumbling noise forced her to look up. What she found was a series of shelves which seemed to be tipping backwards, one against another. In a vague sense of shock and horror, the Fire Maker watched blankly as they all fell, crashing against the cold concrete, until the damage had been done. Jerking her head to wake herself from her stupor, Ocèane crouched and fell the ten feet to the floor, where she landed in a crouch without a single bruise. She managed to remember to snatch up her book before moving forward to investigate what had caused the destruction.

She was cautious- she wasn’t sure if danger lay in wait for her. But by the time the dust from the event had settled, she still could not find the source of the disturbance, until she looped around towards the shelf she had been sitting on. There, she saw a splash of bright red, which she identified as the clothing of a young male. “Bon sang!” The childish outburst made its way from her mouth in the French tongue, but Ocèane didn’t notice the switch of language in the moment. Haphazardly shoving the book she still gripped into her bag, she crouched down and helped the stranger to his feet. “You alright?” She asked, once he was standing, immediately scanning his form for any sign of injury- a quite motherly thing to do.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:23 pm

OOC: Aw well youre welcome! I don't actually know French, so I used a translation website and I apologize if you do know French. XD He says "I'm fine, I am more worried about these" and "I am Aithne from Cour des Miracles" WC: 422

He had literally never come across someone else while perusing the library before, so the sight of Ocèane had been a stark surprise. Recovering now, the jackal hybrid looked around and coughed a couple of times. Fingers worked quickly to brush dust and dirt off of his threadbare blue jeans and his sweatshirt as well, finding bits of debris within the folds as he shook it out a little bit. Aithne was a very clean fellow and getting mucky like that was not one of his favorite things. The few books he'd still been holding in his hands were scattered across the floor now, flipped open with their pages more crumpled than they had been before. Worried that more damage had come to them, he quickly fell upon the books and examined each one carefully then hugged them to his chest.

It was then that the other canine appeared, offering to help him up to his feet. He took the offer and stood unsteadily at first, bending his legs to try and get the the stiffness out of them. As he slid his backpack off his back he realized that the books had dug into it when he had fallen. It ached now, but other than that the adult had no other injuries. Her French was what he had caught first and this stuck in his mind. It was his more natural language; though he had been taught English alongside it, he had a love for reading and speaking the language. French reminded him of home, of quiet chats with his sister or lesson after lesson from his father.

"Je vais bien, je suis plus inquiet au sujet de ces" He replied, holding the books down from his chest so he could show them to her. He examined her while she did the same, his nose working as well. She smelled very similar to a canine he'd met not that long ago who had been from AniWaya. They'd explored the city together and he had left her with some herbal teas to take back to the tribe for the members in case any of them fell ill. "Je suis Aithne, de Cour des des miracles." His brilliant green eyes fell on the bag she carried with her in a curious way, wondering if she'd had any luck at the library today. Wanting to speak in the language she was most comfortable in, he offered a sentence in English as well. "I have never seen another canine here, I apologize for my surprise."
Last edited by Aithne Marino on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:41 am

I use a translator, as well, so no worries there! c8 [388]

Ocèane had taken her high perch for a true reason, believe it or not, and not just for the thrill; from up high, she could spot any that may enter, as well as easily hide. Butt her system had failed miserably, for the sole reason that she had been distracted. The book about the ugly duckling had her so intrigued that she did not notice the Courtier enter, nor did she even realize such when he was directly beneath her feet. In sudden fear of losing the book that had entranced her so, she gripped it by its spine after helping the male to his feet and shoved it deeper and more properly into her satchel, where it was not in danger of falling and being crumpled, like the stranger’s books had been.

Once the boy was on his feet and apparently unhurt, Ocèane stepped back, relieved he had not been hurt, though now vaguely amused at the event now that the original fear had passed. The Hineyu’s eyes brightened when the Courtier began to speak in her second tongue, and she smiled, responding in a friendly tone. “Ll vous semble et je partage les mêmes préoccupations.” She mused, tipping her satchel forward to reveal the five spines of the decent-conditioned books she had managed to find. It was after initial pleasantries that the boy switched back to English, which Ocèane was more familiar with, for it was her native language. She could clearly see, however, how easily the French rolled off of Aithne’s tongue, and she perceived it was probably his first language, due to how easily it was spoken. But the switch was much appreciated, and she took it on with vigor, first with a strong introduction. “Ocèane, of AniWaya.” She nodded in polite acknowledgement. “Sorry for not seeing you earlier. I was distracted. Could’ve warned you those shelves were rather easy to tip.” Gesturing with one tan-dusted hand towards the wreck of shelving, she gave the boy an apologetic smile, unbeknownst that the tipping over had been by an accidental stumble, and not a purposeful poke.

“The human city is a pretty barren place, so I’m not surprised. I usually don’t see many here, either. But there are the occasional few.”

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 pm

OOC: Lol! ok :) I like your hover text thing btw. WC: 432

It was a rare treat to hear the French language outside of his home pack. His perspective of the world was fairly limited, so he had not realized that it could be spoken in other packs as well, that other canines knew the language and would have passed it down as well. He was very grateful that Liam had, as it had opened up the possibility of more pleasant conversations like this one for Aithne. She leaned her book outward so he could see and he stood up a bit higher to have a good look. It was times like these that he felt somewhat embarrassed about his short stature; standing at only around 5'4'', the hybrid looked up at most other luperci.

"Oh wow, those look like they're in pretty good shape. And it's Good to meet you. I've met one other from AniWaya, an Olivia - she educated me on some of the culture of the pack..I mean the tribe." He corrected himself. The spirit guides had been one of the most interesting things he had learned about in his life. The male was very interested in finding out more about them in time because it was such a unique subject. Aithne had sometimes wondered if he was the victim of some kind of spectral haunting with the horrible nightmares he would occasionally get at night, but had never found any definitive proof of it. He'd get a really bad feeling when he'd jump wake up in the middle of the night and look around the room. It didn't help that he had old human artifacts littering the place, covering shelves and sitting in corners and on top of dressers and tables. Their shadows would stretch along the floor, twisting into new shapes as a part of the nightmare.

It seemed she'd been distracted by one of the books she'd been reading, something he couldn't fault her for. The fact that she enjoyed reading was very interesting to him, it had been a love of his since he was a child and likely always would be. "It's alright, there's plenty to distract a person in here." He said, smiling. Her comment about the city was truthful, he'd rarely come across anybody else for a reason. The place was miles and miles of wasteland, garbage, and rats. Sounded appealing. "It has its charms though. Did you come out here just to go to the library? I did but I haven't found any good books around here for a while, I can't think of any more places to look for them"
Last edited by Aithne Marino on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Ah, thanks. <: [659]

Ocèane and her brothers (and her sister, whom she’d rather not think about at the time) had learned French at a young age. The Aston had been slow to pick it up, but once she’d gotten the basics down, it was easy for her to build upon. Being bilingual, she had discovered, definitely had its positives. In her travels, the skill had proven invaluable, since there were a few she’d come across who only spoke heavily accented English or none at all, and were delighted to find they could speak their native tongue with her. But once the Hineyu had returned to Nova Scotia and AniWaya, she found that the language was less common. The only ones she’d met who could speak it consisted of her family or Domovoi, who’s relationship with her was complicated- as a result, they rarely spoke- so Aithne’s use of it was pleasant to her ears. But she’d rather not dig a deep hole for herself and attempt to carry on a detailed conversation in the tongue, since the accent wasn’t particularly natural to her, and there were gaps in her knowledge.

“Thank you. They were hard to find, but there’s a few still around.” Ocèane spoke, noting that his own copies were rather battered and worn, and she wondered if they were even readable. But she didn’t dwell on it too much- maybe he knew how to restore them. Aithne’s next comment brought the woman’s ears high, her eyes alight with curiosity and a vague note of amusement. “Olivia, did you?” She allowed herself a smile, then, seafoam gaze bright. “That would be my daughter. She’s a subleader of AniWaya, also a teacher. What did she show you?” The fact that this boy would have ran into her daughter, of all people, was rather amusing to her. Small world, She thought, trying to ignore the tiny feeling of concern. Even if she would rather Olivia not go out on her own, who was she to stop her? She was a grown woman now, and a leader, at that- she could do what she pleased. It was the fact that her children had been absent for so long in her life, that when they returned, she felt the need to make up for her disappearance in motherly gestures, and often, over-protectiveness. No matter, she was rather failing at that. There was no way to hold either Amorette or Olivia on a leash.

Ocèane did not commonly read- her skills were limited, and it was common she came across a word she wasn’t familiar with and would have to pronounce it as it appeared. She was a rather slow reader in English, and had only a vague idea of how to read French, for she had never found a book in the language- so a lot of it was guess work. She didn’t really find the need to read while traveling, which had taken up a good portion of her life. But she couldn’t deny it was interesting, at times, and she could enjoy it when she felt, especially when she found a gem such as The Ugly Duckling. “I came out for adventure, but the library was the first place I thought of.” She responded, not caring if such a response sounded childish. The Fire Maker was not someone to become dull and boring with age, even if she was reaching higher years. She would go down with a curious light in her eyes, and hopefully her light would be snuffed out by something amazing or dangerous enough to be told about years from her demise. She was rather skilled at attracting dangerous situations, if the falling bookcases were anything to go by. “As I said, they’re hard to find. The best places are in the overgrown corners or cracks in the wall- a lot of the time they get shoved there on accident, or on purpose, and forgotten.”

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:09 pm

OOC: We should have them come across some trouble, since you mentioned danger :D? Let me know if this idea works, was going to play that someone is attempting to burn part of the library down using some old oil or some kind of bad smelling accelerant :o They could put it out and save some books?

WC:615

Aithne had much to learn about the packs in the area, as well as the ones that were farther out. Many of them he had never even heard of or encountered, as he'd rarely left the pack in his youth. When he had encountered Olivia it had been a breath of fresh air, much as he had felt when he went to Casa to learn about them some more. He really liked to learn about different cultures and ways of life that were different from his own so that he could reflect upon the way he did things. He never got offended if someone had a different opinion than his or lived in a different way, unless that way caused harm to another canine.

He had been on his way to visit AniWaya when the leader had happened upon him, though at the time he hadn't realized that she was a person of importance. He'd been relaxed around her and had spoken his mind, giving her a few things to take back to the tribe. He didn't know if she trusted him enough to take them and actually use any of the teas and tinctures. But he hoped that the fact he was from Cour des Miracles and had claimed that, that it would be enough to show her he was being truthful. If she had any troubles with the herbs, she could always track him down at his pack. But he was confident in his tea-making ability, so he didn't think that would be the case.

"She did teach me something, you guessed right." He grinned. "I saw her spirit guide and got real interested in that, I had never seen such a thing before and I had a lot of questions that she graciously answered." It had caught his attention and then Aithne had become a fountain of questions. He had thought that he'd had an experience with a ghost in the past and found the subject quite intriguing. She'd been great with answering them and hadn't seemed to mind his chattering, something he was grateful for. The male was still young and learning how to have a nice conversation that flowed and went back and forth more easily. But things had been pleasant and he'd left with a very good impression of their tribal pack.

The accident-prone male nodded in understanding when she spoke of adventure but ending up at the library. There were some adventures to be had here in this very building, though one would have to open up one of the books to access them. "Plenty of adventure here, in these books." Her explanation of how to find the books made sense to him, that they could more easily be found in forgotten cracks or crevices. If plants had grown over top of the books, they would actually be better protected from the elements and the effects of sun-bleaching and fading too.

He was about to say something else when a sound caught his attention, and a smell. It was a strong and pungent odor that he could pick out easily amongst the somewhat moldy, dusty smell of the library. "Do you smell that?" He'd only come across something that smelled like that once before, from a metal can he had knocked over inside the house that he was cleaning out in Cour des Miracles. It had reeked in a similar, headache-inducing kind of way and he'd had to air the entire house out and go outside afterward. "It smells really bad. I thought I heard something for a minute.." He looked this way and that, his nose working to try and pinpoint where the scent was originating from.

POSTED: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:12 am

Sounds like an awesome idea! You can pp Oce a bit if needed- I would expect them to run and find where the fire was started, but the one who started it already gone. [461]

To many, AniWaya was shrouded in speculation and oddities- some of them less true than others. This had been more the case when the tribe had been located in its old territory, so far south that it was practically isolated from all other packs. But after the grounds move, Oce's home became a center of activity, as a new group of canines was always nearby and within a day's travel away. Since she wandered a lot, the Hineyu had already known a decent amount about the other packs, but her knowledge was limited due to the excessive amount of ground that would need to be covered before one could come in contact with any from a different pack. Now that AniWaya was in a more central location, the mystery and whispers surrounded it could be wiped away to reveal the truth, the more the tribe members came in contact with outsiders. Aithne was an example of such, if what he said was true.

"Ah, the Spirit Guides always catch outsider's attention. I have one of my own, though I'm not sure where he's gotten off too. He likes to come and go as he pleases." Ocèane shrugged, then, pleased to hear that her daughter had made a good first impression on the Courtier before her. Olivia was the face of AniWaya, now, and she was clearly doing a good job at it already, as well.

The Marino's comment about books and adventure brought a smile to her face, and she was about to respond in kind, when a curl of white smoke twisted around her shoulders. It hovered for a moment, before solidifying into the form of a white serpent. "There you are, Aedus." The Aston commented, before gesturing to her companion who was laced about her throat lightly, in his usual position, appearing almost as an accessory. "Aithne, this is Aedus, Aedus, this is-" She was cut off by the cobra, who hissed to demand her attention. "Now isn't the time for pleasantries. Somebody is trying to burn down the library." He snapped. At the news, Ocèane froze, before glancing to the boy, who had just provided similar information. As a matter of fact, a rather rancid smell did seem to permeate the air, and an odd clicking there to accompany it. The woman glanced toward Aithne, before shouldering her pack. "Where is it?" She asked her guide, who pointed his flickering tongue towards the doorway. "Just near the entrance, on the outside." With another look toward the youth to settle the decision, she set her shoulders and started off as a quick run towards the front. She was sure he would follow, for he cared for the library probably more than even she.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 am

OOC: I apologize for the wait, had a bit of a slump after sosu and still kinda getting back into the swing of things!

Aithne was a fairly social wolf, so he also liked the fact that his pack was located where it was. Casa was never far away and AniWaya was just across the city from them. He was glad for the buffer between his pack and AniWaya so that the two groups could have some space and room to themselves, as well as meet up in the city on occasion. Now he'd met two different members in Halifax. So Aithne was very content with where they were all located. She explained about her spirit guide coming and going and he nodded in understanding. Olivia had said something of the sort, that they came and went as they pleased. "I think most outsiders just aren't used to seeing them. I mean...I see them as being a good thing, but some others might get weirded out by them I wonder" He didn't know if other outsiders tended to accept the guides or disbelieve it.

His nose had just begun to catch the smell of smoke when the spirit guide appeared, wrapped around the older female's neck. She gave his name and began an introduction but the snake interrupted, giving him a clue as to where the awful scent he was smelling was coming from. Someone was trying to burn down the library! Ocèane was off before him and he followed her outside. It looked like whoever had tried to start the fire had used some kind of accelerant, whether it was gas or some kind of oil he couldn't be certain. It smelled terrible, he could almost taste it when he took a breath, and he coughed a few times. Whoever had started the fire was already gone, a pair of footsteps leading back around the other side of the building and then off into an overgrown park that was nearby. "How do we get this out? Throw snow on it?" There wasn't any water out here that wasn't frozen. He thought quickly. If they could find some kind of cloth or canvas to throw over the burning portion of wood, that could put it out too.

Dead Topics