Just Getting By

The Borderlands

POSTED: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Staring upward into the pale, overcast skies, Gail considered the weather. It was cooler today than it had been the previous day, and it was bound to only grow steadily more chilly as the days wore on. She knew the dark wool cloak in her pack would help once it became necessary to begin adding layers, but that was weeks, possibly even a month out yet. At the moment, it felt nice. The oppressive force of summer was waning and the maritime breezes were cool and refreshing. She smiled and decided luck was on her side.

Adjusting her pack against her shoulder once more, the grey-toned Luperci lowered her verdant gaze and stepped forward, resuming her previous trek without a word. She walked upright and carried herself with a casual grace, while an attentive alertness remained visible from her smiling features. Pale ears strained and twitched above her silky mane, listening to the little noises of nature that signified the life just out of sight. Somewhere here among the scuttling, shifting grasses, Gail intended to find her next meal, but she needed the proper setting first.

Her green eyes fixed themselves on a small copse of trees ahead; in particular, one young sapling she thought might do the trick. The smile on her muzzle became a smirk as she picked up her pace, eager to begin the oh-so-fun process of setting a trap that would hopefully catch her a slim meal for dinner.

Location: The Borderlands Time: Midday Form: Optime Words: 243
OOC: Introducing Gail, woot.

POSTED: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 am

Moon Moon Damaichu
  • Word Count: [234]
  • Form: Optime
  • Outfit: This one.

What are you doing to that tree? came a voice from nowhere, sharp and fast. If the gray wolfess turned to inspect the source of the voice, she would see the bizarre, white woman standing behind her – not too far, not too close – with her baseball bat propped up on her shoulder, other hand on her hip. Her right arm was decorated with various painted pictures, not an ounce of normal white fur to be seen there, she wore slashed black jeans and a black tank top with an old screen printed logo of a skull, and several bones. A large, overstuffed rucksack danged, suspended over one shoulder.

Bright aqua eyes stared at the woman, eyes alight with something more than just life. If the woman had not gone out of her way to already look odd enough, one would be able to see that she lived just a block away from crazy on a daily basis.

Moon Moon cocked her head, her eyes moving from the woman to the bet, molested tree with curiosity. She had seen traps set before, but only after it was done so she did not put two and two together when she happened upon this weird woman who was accosting the sapling.

After a moment of consideration, her eyes turned back to the gray wolfess and she asked, quite sincerely, Ya got a thing against plants er somethin’?

As endless as the ocean, as timeless as the tides.

Template by Kitty and Aso, image by Talkis and Cw-Fb, edits by Nukii.

Sapient
Sodalis
Nukiira the Great!
Luperci SoSuWriMo Winner! Thalia and Melpomene Kiss Me I was motivated!

POSTED: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:42 am

The pieces of her trap had been set out, the worn plant-matter string she used adjusted to her liking, the sapling had been chosen; all that was left was to put them together. With only a minor struggle, Gail managed to wrestle the sapling -- a slightly hardier thing than she'd originally thought -- into place, and in the process of reaching for her string lying forgotten on the ground she was stopped by a sudden, unexpected interruption.

She froze initially, trying vainly to recall if she'd heard someone approach over her own struggles, but, unable to remember hearing anything amiss, the grey Luperci turned her head over one shoulder and peered at a curious sight. The white-furred individual standing there was strikingly dressed in dark clothing, tattered in places but fashionably so -- Gail felt slightly jealous of her unique attire, as well as under-dressed. If the bat wasn't concerning enough, the animated energy of her bright stare could have been, but Gail wasn't one to give in to first impressions.

"Not usually," she answered dryly, "but this one's being stubborn." Her green eyes flashed once to her pack lying open and vulnerable on the ground just feet from her, her trapping gear laid out just so, and the string that should have been in her hand already. Unable to move lest she release the sapling and begin the process of bringing it down all over again, possibly with less success a second time, she motioned toward the string lying just out of her reach with a lift of her muzzle and a pointing of a toe. "Think you could hand that to me?" Gail hadn't a clue if the bat-wielding Luperci would comply, but it was worth a shot given the situation.

Location: The Borderlands Time: Midday Form: Optime Words: 291
OOC: --

POSTED: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Moon watched the weird-o with pursed brows as she wrestled with the sapling. She had seen traps that had been set, but never the process of doing so. Plus, since she had grown up a part of a litter of five, when it was time to hunt, her family was basically an entire pack in and of itself, so they rarely set traps to go back later, they much preferred that feral thrill of the chase.

Now the woman was having trouble with her string bring out of reach. Moon cocked her head, looked from the wolf to the string and back again, as though helping her was something that required a lot of consideration. Finally, just as it seemed Moon Moon was going to keep standing there staring blankly at her, she dropped Kiss Me to the ground and knelt, picking up the tether and handing it over to Gail.

“Here you go,” she said, and then stated the obvious, “Next time, you should leave that someplace you can reach it.” She grinned, like she had just given Gail the best trapping advice ever.

Moon took a step back again and sat down on her rump, resting her arms on her knees and continuing to watch the woman like a curious puppy. “Sooo…. You are like… a tree slaver or something?”
Sapient
Sodalis
Nukiira the Great!

POSTED: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Gail's eyes followed Moon's as the clothed woman glanced away at the string and back, feeling what small sliver of hope she had fizzle away with each passing second. She had just about resigned herself to the likelihood of wrestling the sapling again when her company set down the bat she carried and picked up the string, earning a surprised sound from Gail as she watched. Pale ears perked, almost smiling, she felt relieved. She really hadn't wanted to wrangle with the tree again.

She chuckled as she accepted the string, made sure she had the right end, and began tying it off around the sapling. "Wise words," Gail acknowledged with a half-smile, "thanks." With the string securely tied, she tentatively released it a little and sighed as it held. Letting the sapling rise upward slightly, she crouched to finish connecting the trap properly and angled an ear back, signifying her divided attention between her task and the conversation with the kindly stranger.

Amused by her company's assumptions, Gail grinned with a quick, sidelong glance as she worked. "Slaver, no," she answered, "trapper, yes. This little tree will, hopefully, help me catch a little something for dinner." Finished with securing the strings, the stakes, ensuring it was all positioned correctly, Gail sat back on her heels and admired her handiwork with a nod and a less-than-certain shrug. "Assuming it all holds, anyway. But! Either way, trap is set." She angled an appreciative smile at the other Luperci. "Thanks for your help. I very nearly had to start all over again with that thing."

Location: The Borderlands Time: Midday Form: Optime Words: 263
OOC: --

POSTED: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 pm

Moon grinned from ear to ear when her new companion thanked her for handing the string over. She basically could take credit for setting the trap, having clearly played a pivotal role in its construction. She puffed her chest out a little bit, feeling proud. “Yer welcome!” she chirped.

She was about to ask why Gail felt the need to trap a stationery object that was literally rooted to the ground, when her brain caught up to reality and it dawned on her that the tree was the trap, not being trapped. She grinned to herself. “How cool,” she mused as she leaned in to inspect the construction of the trap. A slender hand outstretched toward the construction, and she almost touched it before pulling her hand back – again realizing, thankfully before it was too late, that if she did that, she would get tangled in the trap herself.

“So what do ya plan ta catch in a trap like this?” she wondered, still looking at the bent sapling but clearly speaking to the stranger. “Can you get like, ghosts? Or deers? Fish? I’ve never really used a trap before. Kiss Me always helps me do my huntin’.” She made a little motion with her head, indicating that Kiss Me was her baseball bat. “Can I stick around and watch?”

(ooc: I have a mischievous little idea for some action in the next post, if you’re game for me making a little random event happen, if you want it to get interesting.)
Sapient
Sodalis
Nukiira the Great!

Dead Topics