Expanding one's Worldview

p. Dandelion ; Borderlands

POSTED: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:14 pm

ooc - Set midafternoon with Oscar wandering around the borderlands, not terribly far from Krokar but just far enough to make him feel adventurous ;)

Oscar

Accompanied by no more than the trusty broadsword hanging by his hip, Oscar had set out beyond the borders of Krokar to slake his curiosity of the world beyond his homelands. His puphood had been nice and stable, and he was forever grateful towards his parents for the lovely childhood he had growing up in Krokar. But being homebound, the teen never really had the opportunity to explore the neutral territories surrounding his pack.

Ever since open borders were established between Krokar and their allied pack, Sapient, Oscar had grown more accustomed to crossing the vast expanse of empty territory between borders. But since these trips, Oscar had grown bold enough as to venture into territory beyond either pack every once in a while in efforts to expand his worldview. The increased frequency of his travels, combined with his growing skills in swordplay, gave Oscar the confidence to further his explorations.

The wirehaired teen paused to take an inhale, closing his eyes as he did so. The familiar, musty scent of the marsh, accompanied with the dampness of water, filled his senses. But even more prevalent, however, was the gamey scent of a familiar prey animal. Rabbit! Though Oscar was much more accustomed to feasting upon fish and other creatures harvested from the sea, he was no stranger to rabbit meat. Cooked right, it was especially tender and flavorful. But today would not be the day that he played hunter and trample through the marshlands on a wild goose chase, one that he would most likely leave empty handed.

wc 260
Krokar
Greenhorn
El
Brawler You sunk my battle ship! Krokar's First Mate

POSTED: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 am

He felt better on all fours if he had to be honest with himself, and Dandelion was always honest with himself. He was hungry and there was food to be caught. Unlike many luperci he couldn't fathom how anyone caught a nice juicy rabbit without their teeth. He usually had to have two or three to keep him happy for a few days, but he was a very good hunter; lucky enough for the simpleton.

He was certain he was on the right trail. He smelled the munchies now and he almost let himself yip happily. He caught it though. Shhh, shhh must be quiet! Was going through his head. He let his large wolf paws pad on the ground with little noise. He had to move slowly, since he did not have his sisters. They were always the ones to chase the prey to him. He loved it. It was fun to see something running right at him! It was different now, he had to do it all his own. Spotting the grey form he halted. It had not noticed him. He wanted to wag his tail but no, slow, slow! Moon Moon had taught him to say the words like her name so that he could remember. They were very important. Very important.

He moved up closer until he was within a good reach of the rabbit and sprang. The rush that came to the wolfdog was the best! He loved how it made his heart feel, but he wanted that rabbit and he would get it. It had little chance as he was already within a few feet of it and he mistakenly got in the way of its den so it got confused as to where it was going to go and made a vital mistake. Dandelion had the thing by its throat and his jaw clamped around a broken neck in no time.

He sat up straight, his black body showing the pride he took in his hunt and began jumping through the grass in triumph. Yes it was time to celebrate now! Then the smell hit him and he stopped. He looked out to see a youngster. Trotting over with a wagging tail he plopped the rabbit right at his feet; "Hello friend!" He said; "I am Dandelion!"
Loners
Wolfdog
Shawchert
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Oscar

Oscar found his thoughts interrupted as a great shaggy beast came hurtling towards him. For a brief moment, the Morelli had mistaken the big boned Luperci for a small bear. A dead rabbit, its neck broken swiftly, hung from his jaws. By reflex, Oscar found his sword hand resting on the hilt of the handle. The teen had not encountered the stranger in these lands before, and there was no telling if the man meant any harm or not. Though the wiry haired youth did not relish a fight with this man, whose bulk usurped his even in Lupus form. Though it would be pretty clear who would win, the teen would put up quite a fight if it came down to it.

But much to Oscar’s relief, the behemoth paused in his tracks just before running into him, and dropped the rabbit at his feet. Seemingly unaware of his dramatic entrance, the black beast sat back and introduced himself to Oscar in a robust and friendly fashion, tongue lolling out as he did so. He barely knows me, yet he calls me friend? Oscar found himself thinking privately. Nonetheless, relieved by his luck that the loner was benign, Oscar was quick to move past it and return Dandelion’s greeting with a broad smile of his own.

”Well, then! It’s sure nice ta’ meet ya’ Dandelion!” Oscar responded cheerfully, his hand falling from his sword hilt. ”Ya gave me quite a fright back there, ya’ know that?” As he said so, the teen released a jovial laugh, showing that all was forgiven. As he ceased his introduction, the teen found himself extending a hand in greeting, before realizing his mistake. Sheepishly, the teen withdrew his hand and settled for a short nod instead. Who knew if Dandelion had the ability to shift or not, and while Dandelion seemed friendly enough, Oscar sure wasn’t going to ask him upfront. At least, not yet.

”So, what brings yer to these parts? I can’t say I’ve seen ya around before.”

wc 337
Krokar
Greenhorn
El

POSTED: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 am

Dandelion did see the startled face of the other, though he thought little of it. He only noticed the sword at the young mans side only after he took his hand off it but made no mention, ignored it entirely in fact. Dandelion tilted his large head; "Oh, sorry. Rabbit is so good, and fast. I have to be fast too. Didn't want to scare you." He said "What is your name?" He asked when he had yet to receive a name to call the young wolf by. His tail was wagging.

At the question of what brought him there Dandelion made a face of concentration. As though it hurt to think. It really didn't but it was hard to put to words everything he wanted to say. He knew he wasn't smart and he could not remember as well or know as much but he knew some things; "My sisters came here. They passed by. I came too. I found my Moon moon." He made a big goofy grin at his crazy sisters name. "Hey, I can cook this, but not good at a fire, can you make a fire?" He asked and nosed at the dead rabbit; "We can share!" His goofy grin came back, his tongue to one side again. He was happy to make a new friend!
Loners
Wolfdog
Shawchert
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Oscar

”Ay, it’s no problem, really,” Oscar insisted, waving his hand dismissively. His heart rate had since returned to normal, and his weapon remained sheathed at his side. ”A bit of fright nevr’ hurt anyone!” With that out of the way, a broad smile returned to the youth’s expression ”My name’s Oscar. Morelli.” The wiry haired youth proclaimed his surname with a dash of pride, his chest puffing out as he introduced himself. Never mind the fact that there was a good chance that the Damaichu never heard of the Morelli or the Cormier families that centered around the Northern Tides.

”Your...Moon Moon?” Oscar asked in confusion, his brow folded in a puzzled expression. From the affectionate way Dandelion said it, the Morelli took a gander to assume that Moon Moon was the name of one of his littermates. Or her nickname, at least. Either way, it was a strange name that Oscar had never heard before, and he was certain that he would remember if he came across a lady who called herself Moon Moon. ”Well, I haven’t seen em’ cross through yet. But the day is young!” The teen chuckled as he gave a shrug of his shoulders.

”Ay, you prefer your meat cooked too?” Oscar observed with an approving nod ”Great minds think alike!” With no further request needed from the shaggy behemoth, Oscar scurried off in search of firewood. Thankfully he had no need to search far, for within a few minutes he returned with an armful of dry wood.

To his pleasure, Dandelion had remained sedentary during Oscar’s travel, sitting obediently in the same position the teen had left him in. ”Thanks for not straying too far!” The youth quipped as he arranged the firewood in a circular pattern. Then, the teenager selected a long, prong of a stick he had found way back. His siblings had taught him how to start fire from nothing more than friction, and each had their share of fun lighting up flames. That was, until their mother banned the use of fire within their cabin walls after Oscar had nearly set his parent’s bed ablaze during a scuffle with Norah.

”Aha! There we go!” The teenager exclaimed in triumph after a few awkward moments of rubbing the stick furiously between two palms. Hastily, Oscar knelt besides the spark to blow on it, coaxing the flames to reach higher each time. Pretty soon, a modest campfire flickered between the duo.

wc 409
Krokar
Greenhorn
El

POSTED: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Dandelion nodded at the name, not noting the pride, though knowing he was very happy about something. Dandelion still had issues with some of the different types of emotions shown to him, he knew the man was very happy about his name at least and he nodded a smile on his large wolfish face; "Good name!" He said quietly but heartily.

Dandelion nodded vigerously, "Yes my Moon Moon, she and her Kiss me were up there." He pointed north; "My gramma was with her too. It is always good to see them." He said; "But I could not see my Buttercup, or my Talon, or my Kanana" He said of his other sisters, which he was still actively looking for.

He ran and helped the other man gather the sticks, though he could carry one at a time, he still helped in his own way. Though as the man began making the fire, Dandelion began changing. It took him as long as it took Oscar to light the fire and then some on it building up. It was good, even the big brute knew they needed a hot fire rather than a large fire to cook. He would have to wait for the fire to burn down a little to make anything. So he did what he did best and he began cleaning and stripping the rabbit of fur, he had a crude way of doing it but he never saved the fur or skin for anything, usually he just burned it.

He learned to put some very special leaves and vegetables inside the cavity of any animal, as long as it was small enough, to enjoy a tastier meal, but he did not have that kind of stuff on hand so he cut it up into smaller chunks. "We need something to put it on the fire." He said, frowning a little. He didn't have any cooking utensils, Sometimes he would wrap them in wet leaves and put them in coals and they would cook real well but he did not know leaves around here; "any eating leaves here?" He asked, figuring the other male would know of anything.
Loners
Wolfdog
Shawchert
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Oscar

Oscar nodded along as Dandelion cheerfully prattled off about his recent visit with his family members. Just as he had suspected, Moon Moon, ridiculous sounding name that it was, was one of his littermates. Though the wiry haired youth wasn’t sure what a “Kiss Me” was, it appeared that Buttercup, Talon, and Kanana were his other siblings. ”Da y’all live as loners?” Oscar inquired as he tended to the fire, head cocked in curiosity. The dog hybrid couldn’t smell the scent of Pack on Dandelion, but perhaps he and his siblings once belonged to one.

As Oscar’s attention became consumed by the task of growing a steady campfire, Dandelion had taken it upon himself to shift. The next time Oscar looked up from the hearth, which was after quite a few moments, a lumbering biped was gazing at him through the orange flames. If he looked like a behemoth in his Lupus form, the Damaichu was positively lumbering in his Optime. Even though the shaggy beast remained crouched besides the fire, once standing upright he would be at least a foot taller than the sandy haired teen, if not more. Not to mention that his width was just as impressive as his height. ”So, ya can shift, eh?” Oscar observed as he poked the embers with a stick. While everything about Dandelion’s physique was intimidating, the softness in his eyes inclined towards a more gentle personality. After all, the eyes were the window to the soul.

”Eating leaves?” Oscar’s brow crinkled in confusion at the black beast’s inclination. After speaking with him for longer than a few moments, Oscar took a gander to assume that Dandelion was a bit touched in the head. Though friendly enough, the wolf seemed to experience trouble in conveying his thoughts to words. ”Oh, ya mean ‘erbs? Ya won’t find anything fancy like that ‘round here!” Oscar gave a laugh as he said so, not realizing that he had mistaken Dandelion’s intent.

”Ey, thanks for skinnin’ the beasty for me!” Oscar exclaimed, not put off by the animal’s rough appearance after Dandelion’s crude skinning job. After all, it would still taste the same once it was cooked over an open fire! Instead of wrapping the rabbit in damp leaves as Dandelion was accustomed to, Oscar took the stick he used to coax the flames and speared it clean through the beast. ”After roasting over ‘ese flames for a bit ‘o time, it will be nice and crispy” Oscar exclaimed as he held the rabbit over the flames, rotating it slowly as he did so.

wc 429
Krokar
Greenhorn
El

Western Forefront