i'll smile & say i'm good; but i would fall apart if i could

[p] Ascher

POSTED: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Tawny paws worked their way across the soft summer grass and rolling hills underneath a robin-egg blue sky. It was a beautiful, warm summer day on the very Eastern coast of what was once New Brunswick and the light-coloured wolf was intent on enjoying it. So many days during her travels, it had been dreary, with dense fog and drizzle that dampened even the sunniest of dispositions. Birds were chirping in the trees even as she passed and her tail flicked up to them in greeting, all at peace with the world and everything in it.

They say ignorance is bliss, and in Izrian’s case it was heaven. For the past year, she’d been under the care and guidance of an elderly Luperci couple – Marvin and Jeannie – who took her in when they found her unconscious with fever in the woods one stifling day last summer. When she woke, the girl didn’t have any indication of who she was except for a wooden pendant hanging around her neck which bounced across her chest as her Lupus form travelled across the fields. Her bright blue eyes and gratitude to them once she was clear-headed enough to feel it had convinced them to keep her around, and as she got stronger and started to come around, the two had dubbed her Sunshine.

Good things never last forever, as she’d well know if Izrian could remember anything of the first two or three years of her life. Marvin had been the first to pass peacefully in the night, and not long after, Jeannie followed him. Izrian had buried them together on their farm and ensured their animals were taken care of by neighbours, and that their land would be cared for, before she’d taken enough supplies to live on and departed. She didn’t know where she was going, and even after weeks of being in this area and running into a few Luperci here and there, she still didn’t.

Something kept her pushing forward, something nagging at the back of her mind. An abnormal amount of déjà vu had been plaguing her but she brushed it off to coincidence. The Firebringer hunted for herself, worked small jobs on passing farms wherever she could and then moved on when that nagging feeling came again. Now she’d come back into the Western Forefront, a territory she’d explored a few times in her youth. The déjà vu seemed to be getting worse; yet again, she chose not to poke the bear, so to speak.

Who knows what will come crashing in when you open a door?
OOC Note: Izrian does not remember anything from her past aside from her name, and a few relatives she's been introduced to since her return.
Loners
Wolf
Candace
Luperci Thyri: Sisters in Arms

POSTED: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 am

OOC: Wheeee

IC:
West of Krokar was an area Ascher hadn’t explored very much – at least, it was one that he didn’t have any conscious memory of exploring. Given the extended period in which he’d lost himself he could never be entirely sure whether he had been somewhere before. Even if the place seemed completely new to him there would always be a musing at the back of his mind. A question. That question might never be answered and Ascher could cope with that but true to his cerebral nature he hated not knowing something about himself.

He had ridden out into the Forefront on Signe. The mare moved smoothly under her experienced rider, as sweet as ever and patient with the meandering course Ascher guided her on. The man didn’t really know where he was heading, just that he wanted to commit some knowledge of this area to memory before he got too much older and his grasp on the past grew fickle.

The day was warm, clear and beautiful – the sort of Summer day Ascher thought anyone would look back on fondly. These were the sorts of days he still remembered from his youth, before snowstorms and death and disbandments had scattered the Stormbringers to the winds. Ascher was keen not to dwell on all that could have been; he accepted the memory and did his best to move past it. He found himself pushing Signe a little faster, as if he could physically outpace any unwelcome thoughts.

The scent of salt on the air made the old man’s nose twitch. It was sharp, clean – it was a good distraction and it put a smile on Ascher’s grizzled muzzle. He breathed deeply as he halted the mare and dismounted, eager to find a water source so neither of them overheated.

Ascher couldn’t have said on which breath the scent reached him. His mind was slow to acknowledge it, perhaps; all he knew was that when he recognized it his entire body jolted upright, the hairs on the back of his neck bristling.

He peered through blue eyes that were half afraid of seeing. Some distance away there moved a figure, golden-brown as if baked by the sun itself. Ascher’s eyes narrowed. This had to be some sort of mirage – and he had to be sure of it for himself.

He broke into a jog in spite of his protesting joints. The larger and closer the figure got, the more it looked like her – but the Stormbringer still didn’t quite believe it could actually be his long lost niece.

“You!” he called out, scraping long brown locks away from his face so hurriedly that his own claw stung his cheek.

[448]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Krokar
Greenhorn
Rat
Luperci Krokar's First Mate
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Izrian had caught the scent of Ascher and his mount early on but she paid them no mind. The scent didn’t trigger anything in her fractured mind though it should have, and she’d seen so many Luperci since coming back East that the sight of them didn’t send her into a panic as it had the first few times. Instead she pressed her ears back and lowered her lupus form to the ground a little, hoping to slink on by at best and, at worst, escape the interaction with nothing more than a smile and a shy, polite nod before trekking on.

That was not meant to be, and the booming voice that followed sent fear splitting down her spine and straight through to her very core. She crouched, creamy belly pressed to the grass beneath her while tawny ears flattened against her skull. Bright blue Stormbringer eyes looked toward the oncoming rider and she trembled in fear, unsure what she’d done to incite him.

“I…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to trespass,” she said, voice wavering, weak. The girl wrenched her eyes closed as though expecting a blow of some sort, or to be trampled beneath the horse’s hooves. Her ribs expanded and deflated again and again in quick succession as the fear affected her down to the most basic of living actions – breathing.
OOC Note: Izrian does not remember anything from her past aside from her name, and a few relatives she's been introduced to since her return.
Loners
Wolf
Candace

POSTED: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 am

The honey-brown and cream figure appeared to crumble before Ascher, pressing herself as low as she could manage. He recognised this sort of submission, for it was the type a younger Ascher might’ve shown to a more dominant individual.

Instead of reassuring her immediately as he would once have done, he stared with hard blue eyes like chips of ice, searching for some sign that this was all a strange dream. A dotted line of red welled from the spot where his claw had caught his cheek and Ascher lifted trembling fingertips to press against the scratch, stemming the flow of blood they shared.

The woman wore a pendant; that was all the confirmation Ascher needed, though it was bittersweet. His hand dropped from his face and he lowered his head.

“You’re not trespassing.”

His eyes searched again, looking for some hint of the figure who had once been a strong, fierce leader. This wilting flower looked nothing like the young woman whose fortitude Ascher had come to admire – and she had not recognized her Uncle.

Maybe Stormbringers truly were cursed. Too many of them had lost their minds or memories over the years.

“You don’t know me, do you?” he asked, feeling his heart sink. Not everyone could be brought back; Ascher knew this and yet he felt a glimmer of hope – because something had brought his niece here, to the lands she had been born in.

“My name’s Ascher. I won’t hurt you.” He reached for his own Frithr pendant. It felt weighty as he lifted it so she could see. “See? We’re – we’re family.” That last word seemed to fall like a leaden weight to the ground. It was poignant to Ascher if not to Izrian; there were few left he could use the term for.

[307]
AscherStormbringer

Krokar
Greenhorn
Rat
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Any time she took the chance and looked up at him, those hard blue eyes a shade close to hers scared her into staring at her paws again. The smell of blood hit the air, and it took her a moment in her anxious state to realize it wasn’t hers and that she remained out of danger for the time being. Still, when he spoke she flinched, until his words made her lift her head up to look at him. Izrian stayed silent, noting the way he looked at her pendant and then trailed his eyes over her – he looked…disappointed.

“I-I’m afraid not, sir, I don’t know you at all…” she said, her voice sounding pained. It wasn’t fear holding her back any longer, he just looked sad to see her, like he’d been expecting someone else. Perhaps she looked like someone he’d known, once? The nagging feeling like she should remember something was digging at her brain again and she felt those eerie tingling of déjà vu on its way.

The girl pushed herself to stand when he said he wouldn’t hurt her, and she followed his movements until her eyes landed on the pendant he wore – it looked exactly like her own. “I…am Sunshine,” she told him carefully, staring at the Frithr when he hold it out. “You…it’s the same as mine,” she said, as though she hadn’t heard him. Her eyes blinked slowly a few times, and her head tipped up, looking him directly in the eyes for the first time.

“Family?”

Her head ached in a way it hadn’t in some time and she dipped it down, rubbing her paw against her snout and shaking it back and forth. Anxiety began to well up inside her and she took to pacing back and forth, one step after another. Izrian wanted to remember, she wanted the man standing in front of her claiming he was family to mean something. A frustrated whine left her and she stopped, looking to him again quizzically – hopefully – desperately…

“We’ve…met before?”

[339]
Loners
Wolf
Candace

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Ascher’s mouth felt as dry as sun-beaten sand. His tongue flicked out to wet his dark lips but it did little to relieve the sensation. The confirmation that the tawny female did not recognize him came like a blow to the man’s chest. He felt the breath leave his lungs abruptly and he knew his face had fallen. This wasn’t fair on her. Having expectations wasn’t fair; Ascher knew it because he’d been in her position, lost to the trickery of the mind, and he’d felt the frustration of people trying to guide him back to the truth.

He hadn’t realised, until now, how many of his hopes had been pinned on Izrian resurfacing. Ascher knew in his heart that the return of the last Sannindi wouldn’t mean Vinátta could be resurrected; it wouldn’t bring any of his children back to him. And still some sliver of his heart had been waiting. Hoping.

“Sunshine,” he repeated. The word felt foreign in his mouth, though he knew perfectly what it meant. It was apt in Ascher’s mind, for Izrian allowing him to return to Vinátta had offered Ascher a light in a time of darkness. This woman who called herself Sunshine – no longer Firebringer, but still a beacon – looked at the Frithr carving and Ascher thought he knew what would come next: confusion. Frustration. Niggling doubts, perhaps. A feathery touch at the back of the mind that couldn’t be pinned down.

He had to be patient, now more than ever. Part of him wanted to frog march the honey-brown female back to Krokar. Part of him thought that seeing Sylven might spark something… but what if that part of Ascher was that same foolishly hopeful part which had thought that everything would change if Izrian was seen again?

“Yes, they’re the same. Mine was given to me by my brother when I joined his pack…”
The pack you led right up to the end. My name’s Ascher; I’ve known you since you were a pup… Sunshine.” He didn’t quite dare to utter the name the young woman had been born with.

She looked pained, physically more than emotionally, and Ascher felt guilt stab at his gut. All he could do now was try to reassure.

“Please,” he murmured. “I don’t – I don’t expect anything of you. You don’t have to remember – but if you want to know where – where you came from – I can tell you.”

His gaze dropped, now much softer and more wavering than it had been when he’d thought that this was some twisted joke.

[450]
AscherStormbringer

Krokar
Greenhorn
Rat
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:48 pm

When it finally all came back to her and she realized she was the last Sannindi, it was anyone’s guess how she’d take it. Would she recover and accept what had happened before driving ahead to reclaim the lands of the Vikings? Was that even possible? Perhaps she’d crumble under the weight the disbandment of the pack would bring on her heart and soul and go from being a shadow of who she once was to someone wholly unrecognizable.

The girl had no idea what her return was doing to Ascher, how her uncle had been hoping that the return of the long-lost niece would reunite the Stormbringers who’d scattered across the territories and beyond. Perhaps it would, once she’d recovered her identity and remembered the words of Miskunn when she’d been named Sannindi on that summer day, scared shitless and only two-years-old as she took on the title that was her birthright.

Confusion continued to colour her features as the man kept talking. Her eyelids blinked a few times and she shifted suddenly, moving from the lithe lupus form to her Optime, standing a whole head shorter than Ascher but looking even more like Izrian than she had a moment ago. Her hands moved to her hair, and her fingers started to braid on their own – pulling to braids back to tie at the back of her head in a disheveled resemblance to the braid crown the Sannindi had worn.

“Ascher…” she said, sounding the word out and repeating it slowly, thinking over the word. The sensation was at the back of her mind again and she winced, lifting a hand to press it to the side of her head while those cornflower blue eyes looked to him. “We are family? Are you my…brother?” she asked him. The male was clearly older than she was but it seemed to make sense to her that his reaction would be so strong.

“Where was I born? Who…who was I to you? I don’t remember anything of before…” she said, her voice getting stronger and yet more frantic. There were a thousand questions she wanted to ask but something spoke deep inside that she had to be careful. What if she didn’t like the answers he gave? What if the real Sunshine was a horrible person and that’s why she’d woken up alone and surrounded by two strangers who didn’t know , and whom she didn’t know?

“I want to remember…”

[409]
Loners
Wolf
Candace

POSTED: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:52 am

Ascher looked away, thinking, as the woman shifted. He thought about how frightened he’d been when his memories had vanished, how frustrating and tiring it had been to try to remember. Ascher knew that he didn’t have the heart to push his niece – she would remember if and when she remembered, and he could only attempt to guide her back to the path she’d once travelled.

He didn’t know if it would be worth it – if remembering and knowing all that had happened would break her. And that frightened Ascher, too.

Her fingers wound her hair into familiar braids but the styling of Izrian’s – Sunshine’s – hair came as little comfort to Ascher. Muscle memory was not the same thing as remembering.

Large, cornflower blue eyes looked up at him and he felt a pang when he saw the confusion in them. This was unfair - but fairness didn’t seem to be the Stormbringer family’s lot of late. He thought of Shiloh, of how her life had been cruelly ended, and his heart thumped dully.

Glancing around for somewhere to sit the man found a felled tree limb and moved to rest his aching joints.

His brow furrowed as he tried to conjure the words to explain what he had once been to her.

“Your Father is my cousin – although he became more like a brother to me; your Mother was my best friend. I am your Uncle – or that’s what you and your siblings called me when you were young.” He waved a hand, inviting the tawny woman to sit if she wanted to. The way she pressed her hand to her head concerned him.

His voice dropped to a murmur.

“You were also my pack leader and my friend.” Bright blue eyes looked up, past the confusion on her pale face, all the way up to the sky. “You were born in a place a ways South of here called Jordheim, in a pack called Vinátta. That pack was founded by my brother.”

“You come from the Stormbringer family – my family - but when your parents got together they named you and your siblings Firebringer.
Ascher pulled one leg up to rest his chin atop his knee. He spoke slowly, knowing how much information this would be for a brain which seemed to already be taxed, but his gaze was distant. She had said she wanted to remember, yet Ascher knew with knowledge would come pain.

“There are four of you Firebringers: Sylven, Akara, Ahti, and you – Izrian.”

[427]
AscherStormbringer

Krokar
Greenhorn
Rat
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Izrian’s eyes followed Ascher as he moved to sit upon the tree and moments later she’d moved to crouch in front of him, forearms resting on her thighs and fingers clasped in the middle. The male paused before he started into the explanation and it felt like her future rested solely on his tongue. Sharp canines slid down to chew over what of her lip she could, and she fidgeted, tawny ears perking forward to listen as he began.

Her eyes went wide when Ascher mentioned her father and mother, critical figures in a life she’d forgotten and lost. Then after putting meaning to their own relationship he moved on to explain that she’d been his pack leader, something that sent a shock through her. With her balance interrupted by shock she slid forward onto her knees, mouth hanging open as she stared at him blankly. Her mouth worked as though she was going to reply or interrupt him, but no sound came, and so naturally the man kept going.

Stormbringer.

That name caused the now familiar twitching in her brain to increase and she whimpered a little, rubbing over her temple. He explained about her and her...siblings...and their own special surname. The tawny woman shook her head a little, rubbing both of her temples now as an aching pain in her head increased with each revelation. He kept talking, saying there were four of them and listing off the names--

“Wait - Sylven? I...that is familiar. I didn’t know where the name came from but it just kept...it kept popping up? Does that make sense?”

He’d said her own name but Sylven’s was the one she was clinging to for the moment, until she settled back on her rump and rubbed both hands over her face.

“I’m...I’m Iz-rian...Firebringer,” she repeated, and looked up at him with tears in her eyes for a moment. It felt like the memories were water pushed up against a paper-thin dam inside her head and they might burst forth any moment. The only trickle, so far, had been Sylven’s name.

"Why can't I remember it all? I hate this...I hate this so much, Uncle..."

wc: +3
Loners
Wolf
Candace

Western Forefront