swing low, sweet chariot of god

Dahlia de le Poer | Searsport

POSTED: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:03 am

(400+)

Backdated ● Thread Prompt: It's dusk in Searsport, and it's nice outside. Your character is considering their own mortality.

The day had begun with a shower of rain.

He remained in a shelter for the most of it, the weather leaving him lethargic. Then, when the clouds began to unfold into the brightness of the afternoon, Nicholai got to his feet. The soft drowsiness that he had started with turned into exhaustion with the passage of time. He went without eating, partially because he had failed to set up any traps yesterday. What would be the point, anyway? The scent of salt carried in the air, though he thought better than to attribute it to the bay. No, it meant he wasn't alone. To the south, in the direction of the water, he could hear a few of them shouting—seadogs. Old and weathered, by the sound of it. Nicholai's muzzle bunched up silently, despite himself. He didn't know what had changed in him to prompt such a reaction, guessing a second later that it was the mere idea of being outnumbered.

That line of thought, he believed, it was what had gotten him to survive for so long. If his body would react to the slightest chance of encounter with a fight or flight response, his chance of living became better. Common sense, he'd call it. From the amount of times he had chosen fight, some called it cruel instead. In fact, it was from others referring to him with it that he first learned the word 'paranoid'. He wouldn't deny it was a fair application, but as he had told them once upon a time: he'd rather be wrong than dead. The wrongness he described, though, it had a double meaning to him.

Nicholai passed an old building, one sturdy enough where he could place his hand upon it's wall, and lean into it for support. The wolf paused there in his walking to survey the territory that he had walked, and the paths he had yet to travel. Here's what's funny, he began, and it was so loud in his head that it became his own voice: It's clear God wants me to die, but you'd think he'd make it easier on himself. A mutter, nonetheless the words flowed across the damaged railroad tracks ahead—the ones overtaken by grass and weeds. In the silence that followed, his heart jumped in elation, as though his mumbles had been a diapason. He continued onward and tried not to dwell, letting his hand slip from the wall, carefully stepped over the debris.

Nicholai Cecil

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Jacob
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:23 am

All things truly wicked start from Innocence

Dahlia had never thought about wandering out this far before. When it came to where Inferni was located, be it before the war or after, the furthest south she had gone was to the Dampwoods for her sister, and the furthest north she had gone was near Salsola to find here sister's lover. Everything she had done to this point had been for her family... to help her crumbling sister...

What about what she wanted to do for herself?

With everything that was going on, she had taken a full time role in her sister's health... and putting her own life on hold. In a way, it wasn't fair, and Faith could probably see that it was. The older sibling had come to her, telling her that she could go out and do what she wanted so long as she was careful, and that she let Hope, or someone still living in Inferni's old lands. This was just a precaution when it came to her sister. The former made more sense than the latter, but she was not going to argue with her sister.

Lacking a horse, and really any knowledge on how to ride one, the gray girl was forced to walk wherever she wanted to go. At least her lupus form did make the travel a little quicker, finding it easier to make her way through the forests and keep up the pace on four legs than she would have trying to do the same on two.

These western territories were so new to her. Judging from the scents around the area, not many had been up this way. Good thing in a manner of speaking. That would take some of the worry off her sister when she returned home. Once she had found a decent place to pause, Dahlia's body began to shift again, standing back upright as she was meant to. The spiked collar became more loose around her thinner neck, hands moving along her body to straighten out her fur. It would have been a bit too hard to bring her clothing along with her on the trip.

Green gaze moved around before she spotted not only the broken down port, but also the dark man looking over one of the buildings. Her ears had caught wind of his statement, a small scowl reaching along her muzzle. It soon faded before the coyote padded up to him, arms crossed along her chest, "God is an empty lie. The devil he is will claim us all one day."

+400 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

Loner
Coyote
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:59 pm

(400+)

The black wolf clearly wasn't used to this. Strangers making themselves known to him, so suddenly, without request. Even with all his potential charms, these days his default was an unfriendly facade; the narrow of his eyes and a frown across his muzzle became commonplace. Because of this, he went in unprepared. For the girl, this was fortunate. It meant she left a lasting impression with her words, evident from the way his gaze started honing in on her, caution and interest all in one. It took him a moment to center himself. Then he could get into the circle, the ring of a battle that she had begun.

Was it a battle? On second thought, no, it wasn't—he didn't entirely disagree. Fair enough, coyote. He said to her at last, straightening his stance. Any trace of shock vanished now, a natural adaptability kicking in. Nicholai continued to walk. By the way he kept talking—and kept his gaze on her—the dark man expected her to follow. Whether she would or not, he couldn't say for certain. If this stranger had enough conviction to make such a declaration unprompted, he had to guess that she wouldn't let the subject die easily. There must've been something more to her. His question to her came shortly: But... If he is a lie, why does he get to 'claim us all'?

He didn't pause long enough to let her speak. If we mean to imply that those who spend their days preaching do not know what he truly is... then how can they know of his power? Nicholai slowed his gait, his eyes finally leaving the girl to look forward. I would rather take the chance and fight. As I would against anything that looked down upon me. And to leave that as an ending to their exchange, he would say he was satisfied. It might've very well been, gleams of the past within his eyes. In his experience, 'yotes were never type for long, intelligent discussions... Nevertheless, he would allow the chance for this one to prove him wrong.

Usually, that didn't come as easily to him...but how long had he existed deprived? Of this dialogue, of these scriptures? Come to think of it, it was an amazement she even knew what God meant. A late sense of a twisted happiness would follow in this revelation, recalling her first words. God, an empty lie. Many in this world would call it blasphemous, but it delighted Nicholai, somewhere deep inside. Despite picking apart her statement on instinct—a blessing or a curse, courtesy of his ruminating nature—still a sense of camaraderie had a potential to be forged, with a coyote of all things. All it took was someone, anyone, to see a glimpse of the truth he knew.

Wouldn't you do the same?

Nicholai Cecil

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Jacob
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Dahlia, having been sheltered behind the walls of Inferni, or being around many of Inferni's members all her life, was not common with the idea that other breeds of luperci might put her off for being a coyote. It was not uncommon for members of Inferni to look more wolf or dog... hell even be full dog as the case was with Clover. She was an exception. Even though she was not of coyote blood, she more than earned her keep within Inferni. She should have been given a place within its structure rather than being labeled as an Outsider.

Green gaze narrowed to the name as he refered to her by her breed rather than some kind of name or nothing at all. Rude of him.

But fine, she would let it slide this one time. Back to the topic that seemed to be the center of the discussion for the time being. She was about to speak up when the black male continued on ahead of her. Well so much for trying to get a word in. So he wasn't just rude in one area. Eyes narrowed slightly, but listened to what he had to say none the less. He had logic to his words for sure, but she had seen with enough sense what this so called 'God' was capable of. He had brought nothing but misery to her family since her birth. What good was there in following him?

Dahlia scoffed at the man, one finger moving along her arm, "I've seen God's power. It brings nothing but misfortune. My family has been following in his ways for generations, and I have seen nothing to prove he has our interests at heart. He'd rather watch us suffer."

When prompted with the question, she gave a small role of her eyes, "I've been fighting for my family. My sister needs to get her head out of the clouds and into reality. She is wasting her time, as is anyone else blindly following God."

+300 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

Loner
Coyote
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

(300+)

Either he was oblivious to her displeasure, or he didn't care about it, as the wolf remained inappropriately neutral, a small smile making its way onto his muzzle. Nicholai had experienced schadenfreude openly for a lifetime, since he was a puppy—although he couldn't remember well that far back. He didn't interrupt her further; a small victory for the coyote as she said her peace. As the man fully stopped, he put a hand to his chin in thought. It isn't God's strength, then. He finally said. It's your family's weakness. You shouldn't have to fight for them—they should take care of themselves.

It was blunt. Even he could see that. He lessened the blow: No offense intended, of course. I'm sure you know more about your own kin than I. The smile grew, azure eyes glimmering with a hidden mischief. It gave the impression he had just thought up a good joke that he wouldn't speak aloud. I just believe we are all in control to some extent. There are times when destiny is stronger than us, I'll admit— Nicholai's smile faded, an unfocused gaze darting from side to side, as he considered his next words carefully. But... well, if a man's ship is sinking, he thought of the salt on the wind, does he swim to the nearby shore, or look up into the clouds and pray? His decision determines his fate far more than any God will. Surely, nobody could disagree on that.

This time, he did wait for a response, expectant of one. Still, a while later, he would add on: Our belief is similar. We're on the same side, went unsaid and only vaguely implied. Nicholai wasn't the type to get buddy-buddy with anyone, without good cause. I, too, believe that He is nothing but a liar. But that's why I can never fear him. Only a fool would lie to so many and expect no consequences as he has.

Nicholai Cecil

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Jacob
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 am

What had once started out as a bit of a civil conversation was now starting to get a little more personal than Dahlia would have liked. Ears began to pull back more as this wolf had the audacity to blame her own family for their failings. What would he know of their family's heritage, devoting their entire lives to the Lord, one that demanded the blood of luperci like the one standing before her.

If it hadn't been for her mother's influence, the conversation would have ended right there.

Dahlia stepped forward, uncomfortably closing the gap that separated the two of them. Eyes narrowed more as she drew in, "Be careful on speaking about things you know nothing about, wolf. Trauma and fear is nothing to take so lightly, and if faith is something my family can cling onto, then they will. I will make my own path away from the devil, but the fight is lost in those that cower in fear." It was a losing battle, and it was only a matter of time before Faith finally drowned in it all.

All her sisters could do was be there to help and support her until that day came.

Head pulled back, arms recrossing along her chest as he continued on, "Beliefs are different between each person. I don't need some higher power to make my own destiny. My family has always feared him and he takes advantage of them. Karma will come to get the devil he is.. but who knows how long that will finally be."

Faith needed him, Hope needed him, her cousins saw need in him... but what did it get all of them? For all of their mother's belief, she got a brutal end.. and a daughter with a demon. Antioch had never come back, presumed dead somewhere.. Jethro had lost an older sibling, their older cousin.. God took great pleasure in his de le Poer playground. She would have no more of it.

+300 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

Loner
Coyote
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:49 am

(300+)

all the smugs. too many smugs. put them back or so help me

She had a wild energy, and a determination to match. There were many things to admire about her, and when she invaded his space, Nicholai couldn't take offense, nor could he pull away. If anything, he found himself impressed by the courage she displayed. It might've been foolish bravery, given their difference in size and presumably experience, though he had little way of knowing what she had been through.

Yes, he didn't know the specifics of her history, her family; but he did know trauma. He did know fear, intimately so. This knowledge was what kept him rooted in place, unyielding despite her strong gaze. A smile appeared once more, but now it was not just mischievous. In just one pull of the lips, a crinkle of the fur and skin around his eyes, he revealed a deeply rooted sadism without speaking. It was the kind of villainous expression that very few liked to see. Nicholai was acutely aware of this fact, but he cared little for it at the moment. While the stranger could be wary of the direction the discussion had taken, Nicholai reveled in it. It was far more interesting than a 'friendly' chat would've been.

An exasperated sigh left him, but the smile returned instantaneously. ...You can't have pride without strength, coyote. That isn't sustainable. The wolf said slowly, cryptically, rather than spending time rebuking her claims. The attention to her species lacked the emphasis that she had used herself; but with that pointed line, now they knew exactly what they stood. She would not back down, and neither would he. It was a stalemate, a tense atmosphere that could bristle both of their coats at a moment's notice, if the other so much as twitched in the wrong way. You have the attitude to make it in this world...but as you are now, you wouldn't stand a chance against the real devil. Against me. A huff of laughter escaped his maw. You care far too much. And if you continue, it will make you prey. The man told her plainly, and placed a hand on his hip.

Nicholai Cecil

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Jacob
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Green gaze narrowed on the dark male, watching as the twisted smile began to form along his muzzle. He was finding great pleasure in this conversation. Perhaps he was just getting a kick out of insulting her and her family. Then again, what would he know? From the looks of things, and the smell of it, he wasn't hanging around with anyone. What would a loner like him understand the care that goes into family or others that lived in the area?

His cryptic message was not received on good terms. In a logical way, it made sense. To have pride in something, you had to have strength in it as well, be that mental or physical. There was very little her sister had to hang onto anymore.. and as a result, all her strength had left her.

But then again, it seemed he wasn't grasping things either, "Perhaps you need to check your hearing wolf. I never said anything about pride."

And then he just kept talking, but what he said next was not met with scorn, rather laughter. Grin moved along her own face, teeth bared as she let loose her voice. Now that was a real laugh. As she was now, she wouldn't be able to stand to a demon? Again showing his own stupidity, his own lack of knowledge on her own life, "Oh you stupid wolf. I already stood in the face of one devil and his throat was the victim of my own jaws. You best watch your tongue before you lose it."

Arms crossed along her chest, hip moving out to one side as her cheerful mood was brought down to a more serious note once more, "And you care too little. Others will prey on the weak, one that is all alone and has no one else to depend on. You are a weak link, and when that moment comes that you need aid, it will be denied to you."

This is quite and interesting back and forth they have. +300 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

Loner
Coyote
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 am

(900+)

dude. dude calm down at least he stopped being speciesist, sort of also sorry for this absolute monster ramble of a post he really did just talk for a whole paragraph huh... thanks nic

He put his hands up, placating, the smile still in place, almost as if he was considering laughing with her. As if it was a joke they both shared, rather than one at his expense as she perceived it. And I never said anything about demons, I'm sure you have faced countless, he told her gently. If he wasn't so smug about it, he might have seemed like he was trying to be submissive, to pacify her. It might've had the intended effect. But no fear or anxiety accompanied his head ducking down, only...expectancy.

By the way she'd said it, 'one' devil, that was what she truly meant, wasn't it? Demons? ...They were merely servants. So, that is what is meant by my comment, you see. If you have pride and strength, then you do not let me take it away from you, especially not by words. That's all. He spoke as if he were talking to a pup.

However, her next comment would tip the scales in her favor.

He didn't react in the same way she did. He did not snap or threaten, nor did he move closer to intimidate. Nicholai saw no reason to show that she had even the slightest effect. But one could put the pieces together, from the way his smile faded, the way he tilted his head back up, the way patches of his fur bristled in such a slight manner—almost unnoticeable. Almost.

Then it all rolled downhill. The coyote had, for the first time, successfully gotten under his skin, past the thick coat they all wore.

Needing aid is a weakness. He told her, and his voice was different. It seemed the wolf was finally taking the conversation, and by extension, her, seriously.

But wasn't he right? Hadn't they all evolved, grown to shift on two-legs for this very purpose? Learned to trap, to build, to craft; all so that they could survive alone, and fill the void God left behind with something even stronger. They didn't need the aid of the pack like they once did. It was only a bonus, as far as he was concerned.

And what of when you are denied it? If it has not happened to you before already, it will eventually. If not from your family, then from a friend, a lover, his tone had a roughness to it, when he mentioned 'family', and then what does that say about you? Are you the weak link then, for things that were out of your control, decided by others? Or by God? Is your family not worth aiding, for God has abandoned them in their time of need? Or what about the demon you faced? Were his victims weak, because no one aided them?

Nicholai stopped there, realizing that he had begun leaning forward, that his eyes had begun to widen as he bombarded her with these meaningless questions. Questions they both already knew the answer to. Whether those answers were polar opposites, he couldn't say.

He reverted, retreated into himself and shook his head. He had not spoken that fast until now. Before, he carefully picked his words bit by bit, drawling every vowel, like he had all the time in the world. In the present, he had picked up speed, as though an urgency she had set in; that he had tell her all this before it was too late. He forced himself to slow down. ...No. You see how easily that unravels. To think like that, that means we are all weak links. And I cannot believe in that. Otherwise, the chain would've been broken by now, and we would all be extinct. Like the ones before us.

Swallowing, the wolf turned away from her. Then he laughed, running a hand through his hair, turning his head the slightest bit to look back at her. I... fear for you, coyote. You remind me too much of myself. It had taken him this long to remember. But now he could see there had been a time, when he would have wholeheartedly agreed with her. When he would've honestly lowered himself down, submitted to what he thought was superior logic. That God was the true devil, and that they was only victims. That he had committed an unspeakable sin by 'escaping' his own family as he did.

She was different in that she had held on. She wanted to make 'family' work, despite all the signs that it would fall apart. Was it strength, or foolishness? He couldn't decide, and he wondered if that was the difference between wolf and coyote.

Was that the only one?

Forgive me, he said, and it was for many things, and it wasn't only meant for her. Will you tell me your name? So that I may talk to you properly? It could be a turning point for the two strangers. In some way, it made his blood burn, to offer any kind of compromise. But in another, he wanted to know. She had proven herself. Only a handful of canines that had ever thrown him off his guard; and some of them were dead.

With his back still turned, he either submitted to her, or trusted her.

Either was equally insane, given how the day had went. He wasn't well.

Nicholai Cecil

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Jacob
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:37 am

A snort left her nose as she watched the male throw his hands up in the air. He spoke of demons, but once again, he must not have been paying attention to what was being said. He spoke of how in her current state, she would never be able to face a real devil. Oh how wrong he was, and she made sure he knew such thing...

Well it was hard to get any kind of satisfaction when the one she was talking with wasn't paying enough attention, "And I didn't say anything about demons either. Maybe you need to have your ears checked. I think you're losing your hearing. That or you're just not bothering to listen."

The young coyote had been proud of the aid she had. Clover, although more so tending to Vesper, was still an adept healer, a great person to seek out when feeling ill or wounded. Faith had a strong fighter and hunter in her, someone that was willing to go to the bitter end to ensure happiness for the other.. and her older sister wanted nothing but the best for her younger sibling. So it was easy to see why arguing that needing aid was a weakness was enough to give rise to the annoyance she was already carrying.

Dahlia scoffed at his questions. He might have been able to speak for himself, but when it came to how other things were handled, it was not so black and white. As he drew in closer, her head lifted up towards him, her teeth beginning to show, but not from her laughter as they had before.

She let him continue on speaking, though it wasn't until he started to compare himself to her that she decided to get fired up again. Her finger moved out, a low growl rumbling in her throat, "Don't compare me to you. We're not alike. You may have given up but I sure as hell haven't."

Taking a few steps back to give them some space, now was the time he finally felt like asking for forgiveness. Not only that, but he decided now was a good time to ask for her name. After this already heated debate, now he wanted to have a nice conversation? Her arms crossed, another snort releasing from her nose, "Really? After all of that, now you want to try to have a normal conversation?"

Then again, maybe it wouldn't hurt too much, "Dahlia. Since I told you my name I think it's only fitting that you tell me your's."

+400 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

Loner
Coyote
Salena
Luperci

Western Forefront