muertos rojos

POSTED: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:12 pm

And the stars will be your eyes, And the wind will be my hands

The north was home to many a strange folk. Many of said folk were not much for amicable conversation; Santiago, however, was largely unperturbed by this, seeing as how many of them were wolves, and he preferred to stay well within his own lane, wary of inciting and invitation to his own bushwacking.

No, for the remains of the posse, it was best to stay quiet. Covert. Evelyn had no trouble pushing their wares here in Searsport, and he had word with the surly little cyclops from the Cartel - things were in motion. Like a frozen water wheel, but things were in motion, lurchingly, slowly, but any progress was good progress. Rough fingers rolled about the paper in his fingers, propped to the old ruins of brick, a skeleton of ages past, before popping the cigarette up to his ruined lips and he took a slow, measured drag. His pallid green eyes skimmed, skimmed, skimmed, and the dice in his pocket felt very heavy. Rugged faced sailors meandered by, a handful of them, with wirey hair and deep-furrowed brows, but he wasn't nearly foolish enough to approach them on his own.

Not yet anyway.

Palms smoothed over his leather coat, and he moved along, scouring for friendly faces.

ooc stuff here | [wc — --] template by hilli, image from Wayne Stadler
Drygrass Posse
The Hustler
Despi

POSTED: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:40 pm

All things truly wicked start from Innocence

Salsola had very little to offer the lone coyote at the bottom of the ranks. She had proven herself enough to them to make it past being an Associate.. so they at least trusted her enough not to toss her aside.. or at the very least see some kind of use in her, but what was there to really gain in return? For all the Thistle Kingdom promoted of being one big family, she felt like the black sheep out of all of them.

They weren't her family.

Her family was left with her niece and nephew, and how greatly she loved the both of them. They were the pride of her sister, the product of the hope she held onto even when she made the decision to bring them to their father. She knew the life she wanted for them, one that was with their true family. The only reason she had come along was to look out for her sister. With that purpose gone... she felt herself wandering away from the kingdom more and more. She had to be careful with every time... doing what she could to make sure Salsola stayed off her back.

There was no telling what danger she might bring to her family if she could not effectively lie to the others as she no doubt believed they did to her.

She was safe so far.. and being so low in the kingdom's ranks, it seemed no one really cared or bothered to check up on he besides Coaxoch and Sebastian. The latter was sure to understand what she was doing, but still had to be careful. She still had to be around enough to help raise the pups, so she did her best to keep her trips short, using longer times away for when the fathers wanted time with their new children.

Dahlia paced forward, green eyes focusing on the coated figure that was sitting alone. Each time she came out this way, it seemed like she was always meeting someone new. Whether he was part of the Cartel or not, one thing was certain, and that he was a coyote. Strolling on up to his side, she wrapped her arms around her chest, small jacket providing some warmth, "You're a face I haven't seen around here before. Who are you?"

+300 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

The Cartel
La Paloma
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm

It wasn't exceedingly common to see other coyotes, Santiago was coming to realize. So when a gray little thing with a wily pair of eyes started beelining for him, the outlaw wasn't sure entirely what to make of it; Was it relief? Was it apprehension?

Coyotes knew other coyotes, after all. And coyotes were opportunists. And she did look particularly cold in that sorry excuse of a jacket.

Santiago cleared his throat - she sure as shit didn't seem like one of the Cartel, but she apparently knew how to pick her company well enough to approach him, and, quite forwardly, point blank ask his name. He ashed his cigarette, and lips pulled into a thin sort of smile.

"Sure know how to introduce yourself, ma'am," he spoke evenly. She was young. He couldn't entirely blame her. His hand smoothed against his leather coat, before he jutted it out to her, palm open for a handshake. "Santiago Tejada. Now, who are you?"

Last edited by Santiago Tejada on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drygrass Posse
The Hustler
Despi

POSTED: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Perhaps it was Dahlia's own fault that she was sometimes a bit more forward when she was with the other members of the Cartel. She was still not an offical member of their little gang... at least not titled as such. She was still living in Salsola, but she was here just as often as she was there... at least in more recent times. Perhaps it was for that reason that she was able to question the new faces that she found around the camp rather than others letting it be the other way around.

Even so, the male was a sport about it, having taken an inhale from his drag before forming a smile. He smoothed hi hand out before offering it out to her. The coyote reached out with her own hand, taking his as she gave the shake. Santiago gave his name, but turned the tables of her own words back onto her. She couldn't help but grin to this as she spoke back, "Dahlia de le Poer."

Her hand lowered from his own, moving back up along her arms to try and give them a little warmth. At least he was comfortable with what he had on. Standing in place, Dahlia gave her head a bit of a tilt, "So what's a man like yourself doing out here all alone?" Why be here when he could be with the other coyotes?

+200 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

The Cartel
La Paloma
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 pm

"Dahlia de le Poer." He tasted the name on his tongue, pairing it idly with the rocking nod of his head while he tucked the cigarette back up against his cocoa lips and took another pull from his cigarette. She smiled, broad, cocky, and his own gap-filled grin answered it.

"Oh, just, slummin' it, I suppose," he answered, clearing his throat. "Trying to scrape up some goods, but trade ain't so good this week it. Gotta bring somethin' back to camp."

He rubbed the raw feeling out of his fingers and curled his ruined lip a little against the bitter cold. "Say, Miss de le Poer, you ever have any experience with gambling?" Sickly pale eyes found her own, which were certainly a healthier shade of green than his own. "See, there's a game goin' on a few blocks down, and the guy looks not-so-intelligent, but he's shootin' dice. Could always use an accomplice. What do you say?"

Drygrass Posse
The Hustler
Despi

POSTED: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Santiago had aken the moment to repeat her name, though it was nothing special. It wasn't the first time someone had done something like this before. She just waited for him to be done with it before moving on.

Dahlia could at least agree with him on some kind of front. She had been sneaking out of Salsola to come here a fair amount of times, but she had to the preparations to make sure that in the case someone had come across her while she was out, she would have some kind of excuse to give to them. Arms crossed as she gave a soft sigh, "You and I are in a similar situation then, though I don't owe anything to the camp as opposed to somewhere else."

The last thing she needed was to have her cover blown and have Salsola coming after the only piece that remained of Inferni. One eyebrow couldn't help but rise at the offer that Santiago was now making to her. It was no secret that she had been adapting to some of the Cartel's habits, but this was something new to her entirely. She wasn't sure what gambling.. well at least in terms of some kind of game.. was. Gambling was simply meaning a matter of risk, something she was already doing with her life coming out here.

Dahlia's gaze glanced over to the side, "Forgive me, but I don't think I've heard of such a game be called gambling. How are there dice involved? What is the entire point of the game?" Games were not common around Inferni either... at least not while she had others she was looking after. What time was there even to have fun? There wasn't.

+300 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

The Cartel
La Paloma
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:09 pm

An incredulous breath blew out past his lips, and eyebrows climbed the man's head, practically disappearing beneath the band of his hat, before that sound teetered out in to a good-natured laugh.

"Amiga, you ain't heard of gambling?" he asked, though, she had already answered him. There was a click of his tongue, and he clapped a hand down onto her shoulder, hearty enough to trust her sturdiness, but gentle enough as to not harm the poor thing. "Th' point of the game, is to get as much as you can possibly gain. You bet what you got, and others bet what they got, and whoever gets the best - cards, dice, whatever - wins the lot of it!"

His grin was evident, before he thinned it to hide the gaps and broken chips of his teeth, before he gestured for the young woman to follow. "C'mon now, I'll give you a quick lesson, we'll bet in pebbles. Whatchu think, loca?"

Santiago didn't wait for her to make up her mind, though, and already began pacing for a blank spot on the overgrown pavement, stooping to pluck up pebbles and pulling up an old cinder block, fishing around in his jacket's pocket for a pouch of dice. "Sit, sit!"

Drygrass Posse
The Hustler
Despi

POSTED: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Dahlia couldn't help but let her eyebrow raise, eyes going a bit wide to the man's reaction. Was it really so hard to believe that there were those that didn't know about this kind of gambling? Guess so. A scoff passed through her lips, curling into a bit of a grin as she noticed his gasp turn into more of a laugh, "Oh, do forgive me. I don't get out very often. I've got those keeping a watchful eye on me."

The gray coyote crossed her arms over her jacket, listening to the basic principle behind this sort of game. So in a way, it was just as the name implied. You gambled away what belonged to you in order to get the chance to either gain more or lose what had been placed on offer. Simple enough rules, but now it was a matter of throwing everything else into the mix.

He had offered to give her a little test run of how the game worked, but before she could even agree to his offer, he had already taken to gathering up some of the pebbles in the pavement. Giving a playful roll of the eyes, she lowered herself down to the ground, scooping up her own set of pebbles to use for this little game. Meanwhile, he had taken to gathering the cinder block as well as the dice out of one of his pockets.

Tail curled gently around her leg as she rested her group of pebbles at her side, "Alright then Santiago, show me how the game is played."

+200 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

The Cartel
La Paloma
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

POSTED: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:58 pm

They were gritty, ugly little things - worn, worn, worn at all their edges and stained from ages past, and the pouch they were in looked no better, moth-eaten and smelling vaguely of rotted fabric while he shook out those dice onto the cinderblock.

"Now, first off, you make your wager," Santiago started, before placing two pebbles on their makeshift game table, and watched as Dahlia did the same with a smile and a nod. "Good! Now, my pop played this game called zonk," he started, tucking the pouch away into a pocket and scooping his handful of dice, before shaking them in his palm, and tipping them out against the cinderblock. The rattling sound wasn't overly pleasant.

"Now, each of these lil cubes got pips on the top to indicate numbers one-through-six," he explained, nudging the dice for emphasis. "To get a score in this game, y'gotta tuck away either a one or a five, or if you roll three of a kind. If you get a one, two, three, four, five, six roll, you automatically win."

He tucked away a five, while explaining away the points - ones counted for ten, fives for five, but three of a kind stood for twenty, thirty, forty, and so on. "You can keep rollin' the dice you don't put aside to maximize your points, but if your roll don't have nothing you can set aside, you zonk, and your turn's done, make sense?"

Drygrass Posse
The Hustler
Despi

POSTED: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Dahlia watched carefully with the male's movements, placing the two pebbles on the makeshift game table. So this was going to be her wager. It would start out small, but if the aim of the game was to get the most, then the more confident one was with the dice they had, the higher the wager would become. She gave a nod as her wager had been placed, focusing once against on the scarred male.

So the game that they were playing was called 'Zonk.' What a weird name for something like this, but she kept that to herself. Rather, she listened to the rules. The point of the game was to ideally get all the numbered dice in lined with one another, giving one an automatic win, but of course that was not going to be easy.

But, there were other ways to win. Either getting a one, a five, or three of the same number. She gave another nod to understanding these rules, though it prompted her to speak up, "Is there a certain combination that is worth more than others. Obviously, nothing is higher than the automatic win."

Then came to how the rounds were decided. Each person could keep rolling with their dice until it was no longer possible to gain anything with the dice they had set aside. Simple enough rules.

Sitting up straight, one hand moved out to the man, "Why don't you take the first round so I can get a good idea of how the game flows. You can stop and show me stuff, pointing it out if you want." Her eyes did glance over towards their fake collective wager, "How do we make the wager go up? When each of us has taken a turn?"

+300 words.

Dahlia de le Poer

The Cartel
La Paloma
Salena
LuperciChaos Star

Dead Topics