Re: one step forward, then another

POSTED: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 am

OOC: I hope you don't mind but I went ahead and assumed Lynx and Wally are now walking along and talking.
WC: 306

The dog's remark about spears threw the wolfdog off-kilter for a moment before regaining her composure, wondering for a second if he thought similarly about her in her feral form as she did about his two-legged one. It wouldn't be any news to her if he did, and in any event who was she to be worrying about what this stranger- Wally- thought of her? "No, sure don't," was all she said on the matter.

At his question of the trails, Lynx simply shrugged as best she could with both the limited visibility and range of movement, ending up with a rolling motion as they walked. "Haven't noticed it too much 'round here, more down south. Though for all I know of this place it could've just been a bunch of nomads or a big family group." In all honesty, the scents were all mixed together so much that Lynx had nearly gotten dizzy from the mixture, and the female had resolved to stay away from that kind of place from then on. But if this man wanted to know, then she could certainly point him in that direction and let him be.

"Joining a pack?" she questioned, dark brown eyes widening in surprise. "No, I haven't. Not really." The wolfdog had grown up alone, and when traveling with her mother they sought to keep away from the major packs and settlements they had come across. Lynx thought the idea of her surrendering freedom to a group of strangers a bit strange; she could hunt and fight as well as any other canine in the wild, so joining a pack seemed like auxiliary to her concerns at best. "Haven't really come across any packs here yet, have you?" She didn't object to entertaining the notion, however.

Sig image by Despi
Loners
Wolfdog
Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:43 pm

OOC - Don't worry about that, since Wally's just following along until they get out of the fog.

"South..." Wally made a note to check that area once they got out of the fog, a bit annoyed he walked into the territory from the west instead of the south. He could've saved quite a bit of time.

The dog shook his head. "I haven't seen one recently, though I came across a few coming up here. Most of them were coyotes, but there was one dog pack." He made a sheepish grin. "I angered most of them though, either by trespassing or being a dog. There was one pack that was alright, but that was back in the summer. I wasn't looking for a place then. Maybe I should've stayed."

With another step in a puddle, Wally realized how miserable his feet were. Waterlogged and caked with mud, he knew he had to wash them before the mud dried or he would have flakes of dirt in between his toes. With a quiet grumble, he wondered about how to bob-tailed wolfdog next to him was doing.

"Lynx, how are ye holding up?" A few seconds passed before he added, "I don't know about ye, but the first thing I'm doing when we get to someplace drier is shake the water from me feet."

At this point, Wally began to wonder if Lynx could obtain a more humanoid form. It would definitely keep her front paws drier. By her lack of bags or clothes, he was pretty sure she was usually on four legs. She also seemed to be more adept to the wilderness than him, but also had some civilized roots in her father. "By the way, can ye walk on two legs? I'm a bit curious, since yer father was a trader."
Loners
Dog
Noah

POSTED: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 pm

WC: 322

Lynx listened to his commentary without remarks, silently taking note to not venture too far up north in case she had a run-in with this... coyote pack. Lynx wasn't particularly fond of coyotes, and she doubted they'd be very fond of her in return.

The fog seemed, to the wolfdog, to be thinning somewhat, judging by the distance she could see out onto the marshland. The ground was still riddled with puddles- one of which Wally had ended up stepping in- but what dry ground Lynx walked on became rockier and uneven. Perhaps this was hill country? Either way, it seemed to be the right path to take to get out of the mists.

If she had answered his question any other time she would've simply barked out a short "fine" and have been done with it. Now, as they walked, she was silent for a moment, before: "I'm alright." And to his comment on the water, she added, "You act like you never gotten your paws dirty before, two-legger." Her tone was light and friendly. Almost playful.

And then he asked about her form.

A sharp, icy chill shot up the female's spine at the mention of her father, and Lynx froze dead in her tracks. Of course, as soon as she thought this man was okay, as soon as she had started to relax more around him, he had to ask. The wolfdog's mind stalled for a solid minute as her gaze darkened and body became rigid and dominant, almost in challenge. "Yes, I can," she said through gritted teeth. "Got a problem with how I look?" her lips drew back into a snarl that tried to be dominant but came across as mere defense.

She took a few stiff, slow steps towards the dog man and growled low and deep in her throat, pushing on towards her destination without another word.

Sig image by Despi
Loners
Wolfdog
Legacy
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:52 pm

The fog seemed to lessen a bit as the two continued. It didn't save Wally from stepping in that puddle, but it got easier to see where he was going. It also helped that the ground dried up a lot, leaving the dog to shake his legs a bit to get rid of some of the water.

The dog chuckled at Lynx's comment. "I have, but I've never gotten used to it. Don't know why, maybe it's a habit of mine. Besides, most of me old pack prefers I don't dirty their clothes too much when I sew up any holes." At the very least, it seemed she was managing better than he, and it seemed the two of them were getting along well enough.

It took him a second or two before noticing the four-legger stopped in her tracks. A bit of confusion crossed Wally as he stopped and spun around, wondering what was wrong. Did she smell that bear? "Lynx?" That was when he noticed some growing hostility from both her face and her body, and realized he had trampled over some very sensitive ground.

The dog only managed to start moving his mouth when the wolfdog responded. The dog's ears folded back and his tail tucked itself between his legs as he quickly forgot about that bear. Wally tried to say something when her mouth drew back into a snarl and she took a few steps, growling all the way.

"No, I jus...I didn't mean...I'm s..." The dog took a few steps back and lost his footing, stumbling back with a yelp. The fall was enough to snap him out of his shock as he tried again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by it." Most of the fear was replaced with guilt as he lowered his gaze and pulled down the bandana over his eyes. Despite it restricting his vision, it helped to calm him down, and he didn't want to see Lynx staring daggers at him.

He got back to his feet, suppressing any wish to rectify the situation. Whenever he got angry, he needed to cool down before he listened to anyone. His presence would probably antagonize her, and the two just got out of the fog, so he might as well try south. "Safe travels", he said under his breath before he walked away, rubbing his forehead as he did so.
Loners
Dog
Noah

POSTED: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:35 am

OOC: Since it looks like this is about done, I'm gonna go ahead and archive it after this post :3 I had a great time rp-ing with you!
WC: 255

It was shameful to admit even within the privacy of her mind, but Lynx couldn't help but feel like she held a bit more power over the dog, even in his two-legged form, as he bowed and cowered against her snarling teeth and stone-cold glare. "Of course you didn't mean it. No one ever means anything by it, until someone objects." A hard truth, but one she had learned young. Few others she had ever met on her travels managed to avoid her hostility, and most of them were either feral like her or non-Luperci entirely. How could she have expected this dog-this civilized Luperci to think any different than what she had assumed?

Perhaps it was better that the two-legged canine turned away first. Lynx certainly wasn't prepared nor perfectly fit to justify coming to blows over an argument. Nevertheless, her stance never faltered nor lowered until the figure had disappeared behind the veil of the morning mist, and her deep brown eyes never left his retreating form. Her ears were the only things moving about her, swiveling this was and that, checking for sounds of other dangers as the wolfdog stood her ground. And when he was out of sight and nearly out of smell, Lynx once again found herself in the place she always returned to, no matter how many adventures and toils she faced:

Alone. She was alone. And that was all she ever would be.

Lynx carried on silently through the marsh.

Sig image by Despi
Loners
Wolfdog
Legacy
Luperci

Dead Topics