Women are Mysteries

Perc!

POSTED: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:26 pm

Winter was trying to keep a hard grip on the land, but with the Sun kissing her cheeks, Inara knew things would warm up soon. This bothered her in some ways though she knew The Shoal needed some warm weather to prosper. That and she knew Percival would feel better in warm weather. Inara, however, loved the cold weather, aside from her nose. She didn't like her nose being cold.

Her mind wasn't on the warmth of the sun much longer as her mind went back to Milos. He was alive. How seeing him again made her feel like that scared puppy he met many many moons ago. She had wept at that sight of him. Now with the warmth of the sun on her, she smiled. Milos was alive. The joy warmed her heart. Inara knew that everyone was now much happier. The Shoal needed this good news. It breathed more productivity and apparently it lead to more puppies to come. The coydog couldn't be more happier now.

Marlys wasn't far behind her as she found a good spot in the field of grass to lay. The mare grazing not far from her while she sun bathed. Her newly made red fringed dress spread about. It had little black laced edges, her bosom lifted to be showed off in ways she would not have done moons ago. But now she had learned just how powerful her form could be. The more experience she had at Biff's, dancing, she was learning what moves did the most 'magic'. How weak she could make others, but also, she learned how dangerous it could be. Inara had found herself in compromising situations that were way too close for comfort. Luckily she had learned some ways to defend herself, but after that she practiced mixing the grace she learned from dancing with deadly defense moves.

It wouldn't be long before Inara was a very deadly Shoal. This was her ultimate goal, but not what she had in mind when she changed herself. She was just looking to attract someone, but it seemed by doing so, she found a way to become the deadly force she wanted to become since she was a puppy.
The Shoal
Minnow
Bear
Spotlight Soul If only it could have stuck
Tormented 'Soul
Devil in Angel's Clothing

POSTED: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Golden and warm, the radiance of the sun urged Percival to close his eyes and breathe deeply in. After losing his cloak – the one material item he had managed to salvage from Krokar's fiery end – to whatever the heck had jumped them, the young Shoalman could feel the bite of cold much more intimately than he was used to. But it was more than just the absence of its warmth that made the loss of his cloak so awful. In some ways Percy also felt safer with it on, as though its woolen surface was instead made of steel and capable of deflecting any harm flung at him. He felt vulnerable and impossibly weak without it.

Percival held his breath, tasting the promise of spring and harvesting as much of its hope as he could, and then he opened his eyes again slowly and released whatever was left from the depths of his lungs. The sun helped quell those feelings of insecurity, he decided with a blink, turning is head slowly to take in the scenery around him, as did the knowledge that winter was quickly succumbing to spring.

Something from deep within him that he couldn't possibly identify reassured him of this. He was, after all, a child of spring.

While his thoughts bounced happily about within, his head swiveled and paused while his eyes narrowed. There, in the distance, were two figures and something so red that it caught in the light. As Percival watched, recognition quickly sunk in. Neither the Luperci nor the horse were strange to him, he realized after a brief analysis, but that dress...

Clearing his throat, Percival passed over the thawing earth at a brisk pace and approached the two figures. "Inara!" he called out when he was near enough to, slowing his pace as he got closer. "Goddess! Where have you been?" The sun against the crimson dress drew his eyes downwards. After a brief inspection, he looked back at her expectantly, his tail wagging.

[WC — 335]

The Shoal
Sturgeon
Mandi
Luperci we were infinite; there was no time in those days They stole my dirty socks... :(
timshel

POSTED: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Her eyes had closed as the sun's rays basked over her curvy figure. Her ears listening to the sound of the wind over the grass and the leaves in the trees. The sound over taking her mind along with the sound of her own steady breathing. She was slowly mastering meditation, something she also picked up along the way with a little influence from one of Milos' oldest son.

Inara heard the paw steps before the sun was blocked. Marlys had lifted her head about the same time that Inara heard them. The voice confirmed the faint smell that her nose picked up. A slight smile fought to tug at the corners of her mouth, but she didn't allow it to spread as much as it wanted to. Soon, Percival was blocking her sun, and for a moment she swore she could feel him looking her over. This made it even harder not to blush, and not to smile more. If she let herself follow her desire, she'd ruin the illusion of maturity...she was sure of it.

Keeping up the persona, Inara casually opened her rich brown eyes and smirked confidentially while her hands went behind her head, "Percival....nice to see you." She allowed herself to look at him. He was as attractive to her as ever. This time, she openly admitted it to herself. The way his fur fell over the bridge his nose was as cute as ever, and she loved his dark brows that were always filled with so much expression. Damn...why'd he have to be so cute!? Inara kept herself cool on the outside. She had to, or she'd feel like a fool.

"Oh....I've been around...but I've been dancing at Biff's. He hired me to entertain the patrons." She propped herself up by her hands. "...what you been up to?" ...see that whore? She snarked on the inside while she smiled kindly to him. Inara had yet to run into her, but she hoped to gain a glimpse every time she was at Biff's...but that had yet to happen. The coydog would like to give that charmer a little "friendly" warning...
The Shoal
Minnow
Bear
Tormented 'Soul

POSTED: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:56 pm

There was a suggestion of a smile hidden in the corners of her lips and Percival found himself wondering after it. Did it mean something? After a brief moment of consideration, wherein his brows lowered further in thought and his nutmeg eyes flickered from Inara's gown to her face, the young man breathed in and let it go again with a silent exhale that was meant to dismiss his thoughts as well.

Or, that was the intention. But while Percy waited for her response, he found that his earlier curiosities hung stubbornly in place.

A tickle of something strange erupted within him when Inara opened her eyes against the rays of the golden light and pitched her dark lips into a smirk. Something had changed in her, he thought. Something important. Something beautiful. As though controlled by something beyond his control, Percival gave his head a little shake, is floppy ears flapping sharply, while he kept up the cheerful wagging of his tail. "Yeah," he said began, willing himself to act naturally. "You too."

For her part, it seemed to the young Parhelion, Inara revealed no evidence of overjoy or uncertainty. Rather, there was a quiet coolness about her that Percy found he respected, unexpected as it was to him. But when his adopted sister replied to his question, he blinked sharply as though flinching against a strike. "Biff's?" he blurted before his thoughts could catch up with his mouth.

He knew of Inara's heritage and of her prowess in dance, but Biff's?

Inevitably, Percival thought of the woman he had met that day, before the Court's ball, and considered how drastically different the two of them were. Julia was smaller and sophisticated and experienced whereas Inara... Percy gave his head a single quick, sharp shake to clear his thoughts.

Inara was his sister, of sorts; what was he doing, comparing her to a woman he had developed feelings for? Wasn't that weird?

It took his mind several moments to catch up with Inara and recognize that she had asked him a question. Percy looked up into her face blankly, his tail drooping. "Oh, me?" he responded to buy a handful of seconds, shifting his weight uneasily before he shrugged. "Th' usual, I guess," he replied honestly, distinctly aware now that he had been involved in nothing so worldly or exotic as entertaining at Biff's Bar.

What did that even mean anyway: "entertain?" Percy pursed his dark lips. "Is it safe there?" he asked softly, his eyes on is feet before lifting them tentatively upwards. "You ain't run into any trouble, right?" Based solely on that singular experience he had had at Biff's, Percival thought that she must be but his protective mechanism was engaged.

[WC — 464]

The Shoal
Sturgeon
Mandi
Luperci we were infinite; there was no time in those days They stole my dirty socks... :(
timshel

POSTED: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:52 pm

It seemed her plan was working, He's intrigued...or is it more than that? She was sure something shifted in him when she initially looked at him. She continued to act casually while absorbing all of his behavior to plan her own, to keep him hooked. She wanted to be on his mind. She wanted him to think of her, and not as a sister anymore. They weren't siblings, and it was time to show him that.

Inara expected he would not be keen on her working at Biff, but it seemed to cut him more. She actually was expecting him to be more wowed. That was not the case. He seemed worried. It was then she was reminded of the horror that he'd faced. A horror that she had faced for the second time, when it was his first. She sat up and looked down with guilt for a split second when his word blurted out. The hybrid hadn't thought of how it would scare Percy. She recomposed herself, "Yeah..Biff's." Her tone was neutral when she repeated him.

Percival seemed lost in thought and she wondered just what he was thinking. Had she made the right move? She felt her breathing hitch for a moment with worry. Would he be brotherly, friendly, or could this be the spark she hoped for.

When he came back from his thoughts it seemed to take him a second to collect what she had said. When he finally answered she wasn't surprised, and actually relieved to not hear about any other females catching his fancy. "..Well, I don't think the usual...Milos his back. That was exciting to hear about...I can't believe I missed that...and then Eliza his expecting." Her brown eyes looked down for a moment a little sad that her personal mission cost her seeing Milos return. "That certainly isn't the usual...and I can't believe I had been gone that long..."

Her brows lifted at his question. Safe? She could see his concern and before she could even come up with an answer he elaborated on his question. Inara felt her stomach tighten. He was so concerned that she was battling just lying to him. Inara had run into a lot of trouble. She had defend herself almost everyday she was there. But should she be honest? Play it off? or just flat out lie. She felt her calm persona melt the more she was around Percy, especially since he was so worried about her safety. This was not how she had it play out in her head. Not at all.

"Uh, it ain't all that bad.." She attempted to play off. "Drunk people can get a little..." She had to think of the word. "...touchy...but you learn how to put them in their place.." She smiled. It also helped when you get back up. It doesn't always happen, but that was one of the reasons Inara put herself in danger. She wanted to learn to protect herself better. Biff's gave her the opportunity to learn how to toughen up, and practice being seductive. It was also a good trading hub. Inara had acquired means to get her fabrics and she was also able to gain the two small daggers she carried with her. Which she almost forgot about until just now.

I learned to protect myself... She thought, but she didn't want to say that. Inara didn't know how Percival would take it. But her head once more dropped with guilt. Was this the right way to go about it all? She thought this would be the 'two birds with one stone' answer. But now...was it really?
The Shoal
Minnow
Bear
Tormented 'Soul

POSTED: Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 am

As a pup, Percival had certainly been around his fair share of drunk Luperci, but they had always been family and friends – all of them of his pack – and he had never had a sour experience with any of them while they were under the influence of alcohol. But as a young man without a pack, he had seen what liquor could encourage people to do to others outside their group. Granted, his experiences were still lacking. After all, he was really only basing this conclusion on his time at the Court's masquerade, and that had been quite tame.

Little to Percy's knowledge, intoxication could lead to far worse things than senseless arguments, uncomfortable groping, and brainless brawls. But thinking of Inara having to navigate any of these with a drunken individual was enough to make the young Parhelion to bristle subtly. Especially when Inara herself validated one of his concerns by stating that some of Biff's drunkards could get "touchy."

"So in other words: it ain't and you have," he argued, his dark brows hanging in a heavy, disappointed frown. For good measure, Percival folded his arms over his chest. "I don't like it, Inara. What if ya got hurt? Biff's is a long ways away." The idea of his sister – this woman he cared about and loved – lost somewhere in the woods between the Chokehold and Biff's, injured and alone, made his stomach turn. He shook his head. "Does Ma or Bram know what you're doin' or where ya go?" Percy couldn't imagine they would approve if they did and thought that maybe he could rally them to help talk some sense into her.

[WC — 285]

The Shoal
Sturgeon
Mandi
timshel

POSTED: Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm

It was still hard for her to accept that Percival was so against her adventure. She understood it, yet, it was still so surprising to see him get so upset...and furthermore, disappointed. It caused her to feel a bit of guilt to cause him so much discomfort, but his folded arms caused her to become defensive. She stool tall suddenly so she could face the slightly taller luperci. Her white brows lowering in frustration laced with concern and worry as her brows caused her forehead to wrinkle. Before she could reply to his words he added that he didn't like. Her eyes rolled before she could catch herself.

She opened her mouth to say she had Marlys. She was a great horse, sassy, but great. She'd get her back but Inara couldn't fathom getting anymore injured than some drunk trying to grope her. She knew very well there was a lot of danger in the world, the problem was Inara thought she was untouchable. She made it through bad things all the time so obviously, she was invincible, right?

Percival's last question caused a rush of cold and hot run through her. Her ears couldn't possibly lay any flatter against her skull, and her mouth opened to say something, but she couldn't find the words readily. Her arms folded under her chest tightly and she turned away at an angle while she huffed with anger. She was no longer worried, she was mad. She was wanting to get a rise out of Percival, however, she had pictured it going differently...way differently. Inara had so much to say, and yet the words were just jumbled in her mind.

Finally, Inara let a growl as she brooded for a moment, "...no." she said like an pissed adolescent. "They don't know....but Pa knows.." Her gave Percy side eye as if to say, ...take that...he knows! And that is all that matters! Feeling confidence in saying that she let her head raise with defiance before continuing, "And no, it ain't safe, but I'm learning to defend myself...I ain't goin' to hide from my fears. I am goin'a explore, I am goin'a go to places I wanna go to, and nothin' gonna stop me! I refuse ta let fear rule me like I used to!" As Inara spoke she faced him fully again and leaned at him, her nose angled up as she spoke. Her frustration causing her to speak a little less proper than she usually did adopting the Cormier way of talking to her surprise. "...I'll be fine.." she huffed at the end once more looking away.

Inara couldn't believe she had gotten so angry about this. Percival had never upset her before...well, like this anyway. How did he make her so mad all of a sudden? She was confused. Wasn't Percival adventurous? What happened to that? She knew the answer but she didn't want to accept it. "...you used to like adventure.." she grumbled.
The Shoal
Minnow
Bear
Tormented 'Soul

POSTED: Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Inara's face cascaded from carefree nonchalance to defensive anger in what seemed to him not much longer than an instant. But Percival remained steadfast and firm in his beliefs, as he always felt was important, and waited silently for his adopted sister to say something – anything – in response to his cheerless disappointment. His dark lips were pursed, their corners drawn tightly downwards, and though he felt a fluttering of adrenaline in his rapid heartbeat, the young Parhelion urged himself to keep cool and collected.

He wanted to keep hold of what he perceived to be the upper hand.

When she replied through an irritated growl, the sound of it immature to his young ears, Percy rolled his eyes. "Yeah, 'cause Pa knows a whole lot about safety an' defense!" he countered, throwing his arms up as he felt a flare of his own anger flash for only a moment. As relieved and grateful for his father's safe return, there was a great deal of unrealized blame hidden away within him that manifested itself in sparks and bursts of irritation when he thought of Milos.

But as Inara rounded on him, arguing her own case with ferocity and passion, Percy fell silent and still. He listened, folding his arms over his chest again obstinately, and felt... proud; curious; electrified. This was the Inara he loved: fierce and passionate and confident; capable of taking care of herself; intent on being herself, no matter what.

The young Parhelion glanced away, hoping that his face didn't betray how her final jab stung. He remained quiet, considering Inara's argument and collected his thoughts, all the while keeping his bushy brows furrowed and his lips pursed. Finally, he blew a forceful breath from his mouth and relaxed his shoulders. "I know," he conceded quietly, keeping his eyes turned away from the woman's solid frame. Whether he was conceding to her self-endorsed statement that she would be fine or her disappointment in his aversion to adventure was left open for interpretation.

When he looked at Inara again, his eyes had softened. "I know," he said again. "It's just... Well, I guess... I want to keep– I want you to stay safe. An' Biff's sounds far from safe." After a pause, he added, "Why don't you take Uncle Fin or Bram with you next time? I'll bet they wouldn't mind." Even the most experienced fighters were safer with companions, after all.

[WC — 414]

The Shoal
Sturgeon
Mandi
timshel

POSTED: Sat May 25, 2019 10:55 pm

The gypsy girl had flashed a look at the way he spoke of his father. It angered, disappointed, hurt her, and at the same time she understood it. Her parents and family failed to keep her safe, and the all the clans were destroyed. She felt depressed and anger about the incident. She was angry with her mother for not loving her the way she saw other mother's loving their pups. She was angry with her father for never listening to her and always being so emotionally distant. But most of all she hated them for not keeping her safe. So, despite not liking him talking about Milos that way, she understood.

Inara's come back seemed to get Percival off her about going to Biff's. He even looked away, seemingly in defeat. A grin tugged at one side of her face, and she felt the confidence this win gave her. Though, she wondered if his 'I know' was for the adventuring or that she'd be fine. She took it as both. She smiled more when he looked at her and her tail wagged gently. His words touched her and she felt her cheeks and ears warm at hearing him say 'I want you to stay safe'. She wanted to know what he was actually about to say, but what he did say still made her wonder. Did he like mean that like one wants to keep family safe? Or more than just a family care? The thought bothered her. Why did she care about that so much? She closed her eyes as if she were thinking about his question, but she was actually trying to clear her head.

She took a deep sigh, then opened her eyes, "...maybe I'll ask sometime before I go..." She hoped that would appease him for now. Inara didn't really want them to see her dancing just yet. She wasn't sure why but she just wasn't ready for anyone to see her, otherwise, she probably would have had Bram or Finlay come with her. But more importantly, she wanted to prove to herself that she could do it on her own.

"...thanks, Percy....for caring about me..it means a lot..." Her eyes looked up at him with a soft warmth as she grinned.

OOC: If you want you can post one more time or archive it :3
The Shoal
Minnow
Bear
Tormented 'Soul

Dead Topics