Sweet raptured light

P. Dahlia | Occupation thread

POSTED: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:28 pm

A sliver of ember sun bled over the horizon, out there where the earth touched the sky, and the first twinkles of dusk stars blinked awake. The air, heavy from another humid day, smelled of moisture and mist. Evelyn sucked it in and relished the promise of a cooler night. And then, lifting a vessel of clear liquid to her dark nose, breathed in again with more care. The substance was sharp and deep, but with hints of sweetness and of light, soft aromas.

Releasing the breath that she held, the Vicar turned back the hood from her head, the danger of the sun's bite gone now that it had slipped beneath the rim of the horizon, and strode out in search of someone who might want to give her newest infusion of moonshine an honest try.

With Charmingtown still in its infancy, and her still not yet fully operational, Evelyn relied solely on what little virgin moonshine she had left from previous batches. But that did not mean she could not still experiment with infusions and combinations. These new lands that they had found themselves within provided various new bounties and, with every passing day, the seasons for each fruit and herb and flower eased up to its peak. Waiting only harmed her; she had to sacrifice what she already had to trial and error.

Stepping through their newfound territory, the jar of moonshine cradled in the crook of her elbow, Evelyn paused when she caught sight of a familiar face. Dahlia, if memory served. The woman had proved loyal to their cause but, once upon a time, there had been turmoil within her. The Vicar narrowed her eyes subtly and then, picking up her pace, approached the woman directly. "Are you presently occupied?" she asked apathetically, providing no detail for why she was asking. It would just be wasted breath, after all, if the woman had business to attend to.

OOC: Maestro Cervecero occupation: "Test out some of your newest batch on a willing (or unsuspecting!) volunteer! Alternatively, help out with an awful hangover you may or may not have caused."

[WC — 322]

Del Cenere Gang
El Elegido
Mandi
Mate to Santiago Maestro Cervecero
Little Bandit They stole my dirty socks... :( Venerate savagery, Die savagely
don't look back.
don't blink.
don't die.

POSTED: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:35 pm

All things truly wicked start from Innocence

What a fine day it was out here today.

There was so much less to worry about now that the wolves had been taken care of. How nice it was not to have to worry about everyone else or the threat of having more damage done than already had been. The fire that spread across the Cartel's camp hadn't been too far in the past, and it would have been unfortunate for something like that to have happened again.

There was a lot of work that still needed to be done in Charmingtown, especially when it came to the bar that Boone had been kind enough to show her. He had come to steal her away from the company of her sister in order to show her the place, but that wasn't the only thing that was here. This was their new home.. well the second floor was anyways. For all the work that needed to be done on the place, it was nice to see the upper floors had been free of a fair amount of the damage.

The gray coyote had taken to getting a makeshift broom, doing her best to clear away the debris from the top rooms, at least what they couldn't get rid of when they were first moving into the place. Guess with everything else that needed to be done around here, there wasn't too much time to focus on things here.

As she was getting the debris outside, she had been approached by the bandaged Vicar. Evelyn and her had been out before on an occasion before, and spoken with one another, but didn't have much interaction with one another outside of that. One eyebrow rose when she asked if she had been presently occupied, "I suppose that would depend. What do you need me for?"

+300 words.

Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena
Luperci Carnicero Mate to Boone Chaos Star You have to love yourself a fire

POSTED: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Though she silently approved of the woman's response, Evelyn considered her impassively. With her lips thin and taut, and her eyes – one of frost and one of fire – narrow and dim, there was no suggestion of approbation upon her scarred and ugly face.

"Nothin'," she replied at length. "Not unless you got time t' spare." The Vicar allowed her pause to stretch, initially intending to wait the woman out before she decided that it was no good and, quite frankly, not worth her time. Evelyn shifted her weight and, from within the folds of her clothes, produced a vessel that, within its walls, contained her latest concoction of infused moonshine.

The vegetation in these parts were still foreign to the Western coyote and, with this being her first summer here in this moist and verdant land, Evelyn had very little experience with which plants instilled the best smell and flavor and sensation to her moonshine. From what little the fire-kissed coyote knew, Dahlia was one of those who, in the very least, knew more about this miserable land than she did.

She would be perfect.

"This," she replied, lifting the vessel up between her bandaged hands. "I'm lookin' for someone to try this." Evelyn paused, allowing the silence to stretch, wondering if the woman would accept it blindly or with hesitation. In the end, regardless, the scarred coyote continued. "Moonshine," she explained. "Infused with..." She thought. "Lilacs, I heard tell." Or, she thought she did. "I could use some honest opinion." A pause. "If you got time.

It was not often that Evelyn ever admitted so much. But when it came to her craft, feedback could mean prosperity. "I trust you got opinions." And she lifted the vessel toward the coyote subtly, her eyes fixed on the woman's face while she waited for her to reply.

[WC — 310]

Del Cenere Gang
El Elegido
Mandi
don't look back.
don't blink.
don't die.

POSTED: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Dahlia had no negative opinion of the woman, and the mournful looks she had when Calhoun's body had been sent back to the Posse's camp had only helped to make her want to avenge the woman all the more. Now that there was no threat hanging over them, perhaps it would be a time to get to know the woman better, at least more so when there was more time to do so.

Green gaze shifted to what she was doing before turning her posture to face the Vicar, "It just so happens that I do have some time to spare." Working was all well and good, but everyone needed a break every once and a while right?

The gray coyote's head shifted to the vessel that was presented to her, Evelyn explaining she was looking for someone to try what she had inside. Moonshine. She had never really considered herself much of a drinker, even not when so many others would spend late nights doing so around the fire. Guess most of the time had been when she was still in Salsola, and therefore secluding herself away from the more festive nights.

And when she had returned, Nazario's attitude had turned her off from it as well.

But now that he had loosened up his gaze on her, perhaps there would be no harm in doing so. After all, it would be helping someone in the gang, and so long as she didn't wander away, there was sure to be no harm that came of it. She gave a nod before gesturing inside the building, "Sure, I'll give it a shot. Maybe it would be best to move inside then? There's not much to the place, but I'm sure I could clear us out a spot."

If anything they could use the living space upstairs, but the first floor should be fine.

+300 words.

Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena

POSTED: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:23 pm

The stoic expression on the Vicar's face remained static. But within, she felt her spirits lift. There were several others – Nazario and Boone and the old Fumar, Vesper, to name a few – who had spent time enough in these sodden lands to offer honest opinion and provide valuable feedback. To Evelyn, though, she already had something of a rapport with Dahlia and, to be perfectly honest, she found that her presence didn't annoy her the way some of the others' did.

"Would appreciate that a great deal," she said, glancing at the gestured building before dipping her burn-scarred nose and following the woman within.

A cursory glance about the establishment suggested to Evelyn that there was work yet to be seen to. But there was nothing surprising about that. Charmingtown was still being built and work was everywhere to be had. It would be some time yet before their dusty little town would become the booming depot they hoped that it would become.

She returned her gaze to Dahlia. "This will be a fine place," she said approvingly, despite the flatness of her tone. And it would, just as would their mill and their stables and their various other establishments. The Gang would see to that, industrious and motivated as they appeared to be.

"Unless you got yourself somethin' to pour that into, go ahead and drink it straight from the jar," she said, offering the vessel to Dahlia.

With any luck, the floral notes of the lilacs would be mild, but still present enough to marry with the sharpness of the alcohol. Her intention was for the infusion to be balanced, without the added flavor overpowering the natural taste of moonshine. Once she had gotten that down, she could set to work on adding other things – honey for sweetness, perhaps, and some of the berries she had seen were growing around the thick forests – to peddle the concoction off as medicine or heal-all.

But first things first. Silently, the Vicar watched and waited.

OOC: Minor assumptions/pp regarding the building. Please lmk if you'd like me to change anything! <3

[WC — 338]

Del Cenere Gang
El Elegido
Mandi
don't look back.
don't blink.
don't die.

POSTED: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:28 am

There were not many times when she and the Vicar had been able to spend time with one another, at least, not as much as she had spent time with others. What time they had shared together had been pleasant all the same. There was nothing bad that could be said about the woman, and she had felt nothing but deep sorry when Calhoun's body had been brought back to them. No doubt Evelyn had been the one to cry the most over him.

Even so, she had recovered well, and it was nice that she, much like the others here in the Gang, were finding places in which to occupy the skills they possessed.

Dahlia led the Vicar inside the building. Much of the work had been done to the inside, being that much of it had been cleared out and cleaned, but there was still along way to go before it would be functional. She had done a fair amount of her part, but she would need the help of the others to help bringing it back to life. All their furniture needed replacing, and that was something out of her range.

One ear turned back to the bandaged woman, a smile on her face, "I'll bet you could talk to Boone and John to see them about selling your shine to the travelers that will come here. Could be very well something that works in our favor."

As they both settled into the bar, Dahlia's hands moved around the jar that the moonshine was being kept in. Not having something of her own to use, she took a swig from the jar. Moonshine was not exactly something she was used to, but then again pretty much any drink was like that to her. Once the alcohol had been done slapping her in the face, the nice infused flavors had hit behind her.

It was so nice, nice enough for her to take another swig, though smaller than the first one she had taken. She couldn't help but feel her face heat up, if onyl slightly, "Damn Evelyn. That's a good one."

+300 words.

Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena

POSTED: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:50 pm

Wordlessly, the Vicar considered Dahlia's suggestion with interest. Her face, stony and flat as usual, betrayed none of this, but when she replied, there was a subtle shift in her tone that made her sound almost agreeable. "That does sounds to me like it could be a mutually beneficial proposition," she agreed. "I do reckon that I'll see Mister Winthrop about it." Which one she planned on bringing such business dealings to hardly needed clarifying, so far as Evelyn was concerned. Jonathan might be the elder of the two, but Boone's level of maturity somehow exceeded that of his uncle.

The bar was to Evelyn's liking and she regarded it favorably, running a bandaged palm along the surface before she claimed her own seat. Slowly, with a hand against the bulge of her belly, she eased herself to a sit and then she cast her mismatched eyes around the establishment again while Dahlia's hands wrapped around the jar of her newest creation. For a silent moment, she considered her hope for their future here: she imagined the warmth of bodies occupying a confined space, laughing and shouting and hooting and hollering; she imagined the smells of liquor and tobacco and cowhide leather; she imagined joy and trust and hope and safety.

Dahlia's voice drew her back to the present and she returned her eyes to the woman's fine features. "That's good to hear you say so," she said after a measured look. She trusted her word. If she was going to go into business with the woman's husband, a dishonest opinion about her product wouldn't do any of them any good. "Is that balanced enough to your tastes?" she asked, watching with the expectation that Dahlia would take another taste. "Or do you reckon it needs more or less of them florals?"

[WC — 312]

Del Cenere Gang
El Elegido
Mandi
don't look back.
don't blink.
don't die.

POSTED: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:53 am

Dahlia didn't know much when it came to any sort of business, or rather much of the inner workings of things. Just seemed more like common sense in her mind. If Evelyn was going to go through the trouble of making some drinks, then why not have some of them here? There would be other opportunities for the members of the Gang to partake in her creations, just as she was able to do as a taste tester. She couldn't have been the only one the scarred woman had come to about this sort of thing.

The gray coyote hadn't noticed the Vicar spacing out some. Her own attention had been more on the drink and the actual taste of it. That seemed to be something that snapped the woman's attention back into place. Evelyn seemed pleased to hear that for a test run, this drink had sat well with someone. Proceeding on like anyone would, she questioned the nature of her product, wondering if there was anything that might need to be adjusted on the inside of it.

Dahlia couldn't help but raise an eyebrow to that. Her gaze fell down on the jug again as she took another small sip. She had tried to refrain from having anything too big, though she could feel the heat along her cheeks growing a little more intense. It was a strange, but nice feeling all around.

Green eyes moved back up to the Vicar, giving a small shrug, "I mean, I'm not someone who drinks a whole lot, but I'd say it's pretty good for someone like me. Can't say I know what it really needs when my expectations are kind of low. What do the florals do to the drink? Just give it flavor or like, does it do more to it that I just don't know?" This was a goo chance for her to learn about these things to be of better help next time.

Besides, if she was going to work here and needed to cover for one of the males, it would help to know what the hell she was telling others about right?

+300 words.

Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena

POSTED: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Evelyn considered Dahlia's statement, how the woman didn't partake of alcohol very much and how this particular infusion was good for someone like her. "Do you mean to tell me you ain't feelin' nothin' from the 'shine?" she asked unhappily, afraid something had happened during the distilling process that weakened the strength of her liquor. "Or is your meanin' that the taste of liquor is subdued?" This was important to Evelyn, and it was obvious in the way she seemed to hang on Dahlia's response.

Once she was satisfied with the other woman's response, the Vicar addressed Dahlia's curiosity surrounding the purpose of infusing florals in her moonshine, leaning back more comfortably as she did so. "Jest alters the taste of it," she replied. "Add something to make your drink different an' folk will remember it. Get a good infusion and it can be real gainful." In Rattler's Gulch, chili pepper-infused spirits added a kick that had ranchers either coming back for more or keeping far away, but the idea of it was unique enough that they were always worth trying.

"I best be gettin' back home now," Evelyn decided after the two of them had spent a fair amount of time. She rose carefully, hand on her swollen belly, and nodded to Dahlia. "I do thank you for your time an' opinions. Keep the rest of that there drink." She gestured subtly to what remained in the jar between the woman's fingers. And then, with a final stony-faced look at Dahlia, the Vicar turned and made her leave.

OOC: Feel free to toss up one more reply, otherwise go ahead and request archival once you've read it. <3 Thank you for the thread!

[WC — 269]

Del Cenere Gang
El Elegido
Mandi
don't look back.
don't blink.
don't die.

POSTED: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Dahlia couldn't help but raise an eyebrow to the Vicar's words. She hadn't intended to make it seem like was being offensive. It was just stating a mention of fact that she was not really one to drink. At least so long as they were in a controlled environment, there would be no problem with the two of them, or rather her, trying something new. Besides, she had already gone over why this was a good idea in her head, so it was a little too late to back down now.

The gray coyote gave a shake of her head, "Oh no, you got it all wrong. I am feeling something. My face feels like, really hot, and everything just feels so much nicer, like I'm more relaxed. That's normal I take it?"

With confirmation on this, she couldn't help but let her green gaze drift back down to the drink she held in her hand. It was just the two of them, so there really wouldn't be any harm in taking another swig. As she was, Evelyn explained that the things she used were just something to give the drink some more flavor. Well that was something interesting. She couldn't help but let her eyes drift towards the back room she had claimed for herself.

If Evelyn could do it with her drinks, why couldn't she maybe try and do it with food?

Dahlia's head turned up as the Vicar expressed that she should be getting back home. She noticed that one hand had moved over her stomach. Well that was interesting of her to do. A grin curled along her face as she gave a wave to the woman, "Alright. Stay safe. And thanks for the drink."

Once she had made her way out the front doors, the gray coyote picked herself up, moving over to an old worn down couch that John usually used to sleep on. Relaxing against it, she took to having some more shine. Might as well make use of the free drink that was offered to her.

+300 words

Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena

Dead Topics