Return to me salvation

P. John | Occupation thread

POSTED: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:55 pm

She had made Paninya, with help from Alonso (through some persuasion and more than one not-so-innocent lie), harvest what fruits they could find within and without the newly claimed territory of Del Cenere in preparation for her newest concoction of moonshine. And, much to the Vicar's surprise, they had done better than expected. Among the baskets of bounty, there was ample supply of berries – blueberries and raspberries; strawberries and blackberries – to create enough for a mash.

Only after her still was freshly cleaned and ready for a new batch of something different, and her berry mash was properly fermented in preparation for alchemy to take place, did Evelyn begin the process of distilling the concoction into a unique variety of moonshine that she was certain would be a success either way she sold it. Though, she hoped that it would be a genuine hit. After all, if it was, she could potentially trade it for more worth and, come next season, produce another batch. But at least she still had the option of advertising it as a "cure-all" even if it flopped. She had options, and that was the best sort of deal anyone could ask for.

It took some time later, after the process of evaporation and condensation ran its course, before liquid wealth spilled, drip after drip, into the container she had set at the thump keg's side. And then, only after the distillation process had run its course and there was nothing more to be gleaned from her must, did Evelyn breathe the love of her labors in. She closed her eyes, the sting of alcohol tickling the back of her throat as she breathed in. And yet, she could almost taste the sweet suggestion of berries.

Breathing out again, Evelyn almost sighed. Still in need of bottling and, more important still, testing, the burned woman considered the various aromas before tipping her small vessel back to taste her end product.

OOC: For Maestro Cervecero: "Test out some of your newest batch on a willing (or unsuspecting!) volunteer! Alternatively, help out with an awful hangover you may or may not have caused." Forward-dated for funsies!

[WC — 329]

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mandi
Mate to Santiago Maestro Cervecero
Little Bandit They stole my dirty socks... :( Venerate savagery, Die savagely

POSTED: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 pm

hangman is coming down from the gallows, and I don't have very long

Instead of waking with a sense of purpose or meaning, John's eyes cracked apathetically to the welcoming sunshine morning and he despised every second those radiant beams beat themselves against the back of his retinas. There was none to blame but his own dumb ass self for falling asleep with his head sticking out of the hastily erected tent.

Sometime later, he managed to haul his rotten carcass upright, and make some kind of presentation of himself.

No doubt he had already missed the production of the moonshine batch, but the least he could do was help clean up the aftermath.

He shuffled into the room, shoving messy hair back from his face and greeting the burned woman in his hoarse gravel voice,

Miss Escuella. She was gladly inhaling the fragrance of what had been produced, John's churning stomach rebelled at the idea of drinking any more alcohol but he firmly told it to shut its pie hole.

Anythin' of worth, ya got there? There had been the one batch that had somehow become fouled up by something, it'd been enough to have him retching his breakfast right up.

Evelyn was rightly territorial of her baby however, and John could understand such a thing. Back at Homestead, touching someone's still was grounds for an ass beating -- at least she had stopped glowering viciously at him if he so much as looked at it.

For Maestro Cervecero: "The still requires regular maintenance - enlist some help to clean it out!" | [wc — 000] template by hilli
Johnathan Winthrop
I'm a dead man walkin'
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Jace
Luperci You have to love yourself a fire

POSTED: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:55 pm

A disturbance, followed by a voice, interrupted her from tasting the fruits of her labor. Evelyn tipped the vial down and away from her lips again, her eyes narrowed on the disheveled figure as he shuffled into the room. "Mister Winthrop," she greeted in response, her tone emotionless and her lips thin. The Vicar regarded him a moment longer – with his mussed-up ebony hair and his roughened Southern twang – and then looked down at the vessel between her fingers.

"I don't rightly know," she admitted, looking at Jonathan again. "Not yet, anyhow. I didn't get so far as to try it before you arrived." Figures he would show up now, after the 'shine was good and ready. Pausing, Evelyn stopped herself from taking the thought further because, truth be told, he had helped a great deal in other aspects of this experimental batch. And in the batch before that, too. He might overindulge, but he could be reliable upon, too. Sometimes.

Turning, Evelyn found another vessel and poured the berry moonshine until the light caught the surface and make it twinkle cheerfully. And then, turning once more, she handed it to the disheveled Winthrop. There was a look about him that made her wonder if the thought of tasting the drink might cause him to blow chunks, but if she cared she certainly didn't show it. "Here," she said. "Make yourself useful."

And then, tipping her own vessel back, Evelyn felt the cool elixir pour over her tongue and hit the back of her throat. It burned as it slid down her throat and left a note on her palate that, being from an area that could not sustain such fruits, she couldn't quite identify. It was tart and bright and sharp, but also bold and a little earthy. She couldn't say if she liked it, but she wanted to try it again. "Well?" she asked Jonathan.

Once he was done with that, she fully intended to put him to work on helping her cask their concoction and clean the still. Perhaps the leftover must could be put to use in their gardens or as supplementation to feed the stock.

OOC: Hooooo buddy, I am learning all kinds of things about distillin' spirits!

[WC — 365]

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:43 pm

hangman is coming down from the gallows, and I don't have very long

The process of creation could flip switches into either direction at a moment's notice, all that required for everything to go to hell was one bad fruit, one misstep and the word was ruined. John had ruined more than one batch in his life, much to the frustration of his mentor, and many a clip round the ears had been rained upon him for his mistakes.

He nodded, quite expecting that answer truthfully. A good brewer could tell you all sorts of things, but he (or she) could not predict the outcome before it had occurred. It was all trial and error.

John might be a drunken fool most of the time, but he knew his craft. Fingers flexed eagerly now, washing away the majority of his cobwebs.

Aye Ma'am. He gamely took the vial from her, hefting it to the light as she had done, then sniffed it briefly before downing the entire concoction.

The fruit burst upon his tongue, giving him the image of lazy summer afternoons spent lounging by the lakeside. The burn came too, satisfying all the way down to his stomach. John whistled low in his throat,

Ah reckon we're onto somethin' amazin' here. It was taste other than the pure burn, people would pay for that.

Dark lips twisted to a crooked half-smile, tongue curling to lick the last drops from his fine hairs.

Alrighty, you tell me what you're wantin' me ta do, Miss Escuella. Still following the protocol, this was Her still, and he would not impinge upon her ownership.

For once I am not awfully lateee, FANCY THAT | [wc — 000] template by hilli
Johnathan Winthrop
I'm a dead man walkin'
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Jace
Luperci You have to love yourself a fire

POSTED: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 pm

She looked on with subtle approval as John took the vial and slung it back, tipping the liquid into his maw and down his throat. When he whistled, Evelyn nodded in agreement and this time her approbation was clearer. "I do believe that to be the case, Mr. Winthrop." There was nothing else Evelyn had tasted that quite matched this new creation of theirs, and she dared to believe the people of this unforgiving land would appreciate it.

Straightening up her back, the Vicar perched her bandaged hands atop her narrow hips and considered what needed doing, now that they were both in agreement as to the viability of their latest spirit. The moonshine itself needed to be stored, but this was a chore she could do herself without taking up too much time. Cleaning the still, however, would be a lengthier job and require considerably more effort.

Her eyes found Johnathan again. "That must needs clearing out before work on cleanin' th' still can get started," she said, her words more of an instruction than a suggestion – something that was sure to become obvious the longer she stared expectantly at the Winthrop. "You best be careful about it now." A warning. Bang up her still, she left unsaid, and there would be hell to pay.

"I'll get this here barreled," she said, moving toward the wooden pail that had caught their end product from the spout. Without glassworkers and few salvageable bottles to use, wooden barrels, ceramic jugs, and skin bladders were where much of their moonshine ended up. Their berry 'shine – technically a brandy, but alcohol was alcohol to most individuals – would find a new home within a small oak barrel, and it was toward this that Evelyn took the pail while Johnathan got to work on the still.

Once their liquor had been poured and sealed, Evelyn wiped her hands along her sides and turned to see where Johnathan was at with the still. "What's left that needs doin'?" she asked, prepared to begin scrubbing the insides down with a vinegar-water mixture.

OOC: If you wanted a reference, I think I used this guide in a previous thread of mine where Evelyn cleaned the still. <3

[WC — 348]

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mandi

Dead Topics