a moment of time

P. Farina

POSTED: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:42 am

sorry this is so late to be thrown up BTW. D;

She'd been wandering around for some time now, and with her new shiny rank, she couldn't help but continue to wander around and pick up little nick-knacks here and there. Humming to herself, she tightened her shawl around her neck, and let a whistle out for her falcon to come to her. When Channy arrived, she was carrying a lemming, and Carya grinned. Good job, Channy. She appreciated her bird, and let her know so, by throwing her a piece of the lemming that she was now picking up and throwing over her shoulder. It was a long process- hunting and waiting for her bird to bring back the lemmings, or stoats, but it paid off in the end. Moving her way towards the garden, she picked up a few herbs- mainly garlic and some chives that she could throw into her stew to give it a little bit of flavor, rather than bland lemming and stoat.

Working her way back towards the houses, in Jordeheim, she stopped in her front yard, working to build a small fire in her front yard. Anyone would be welcome to join her, after all, this was her second meal of her own that she had made in her own home! She grinned, as she slowly skinned the lemmings, with a knife she'd gotten from a trade. It was sharp, and if Carya wasn't careful she could cut herself. Breaking the garlic up- like she'd seen her mothers' do, she rubbed the garlic into the now skinned lemming. Carefully she began to slice the meat from the bone, and turned to skin the other lemming's and place them upon her home-made cutting board that was actually a top to her small table in her living room.

Pausing in the middle of all this work, she decided to take a small break, and began to set the lemming's coats out to hang. These'll be great for tradin', don't ya think Channy? She questioned her bird, as she turned to see her eating the raw meat that was on the cutting board. No! Channy! She waved her arms at the bird, scaring her and then shaking her head. There were only several pieces missing, and luckily enough for her, she had a few more lemmings inside that would be good enough to skin and cook as well. Chasing her bird inside her house, she made sure that the furs were in the way of the door, to make it seem as though the bird was locked inside. A few squeaks of protest from the bird, and Carya was back to skinning the lemmings again.
Carya is always in Optime, unless otherwise stated

Carya is usually accompanied by her horses unless otherwise stated

POSTED: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:43 pm

<3

The wolfdog mused that the peregrine was decent excuse to check in on her mother. The last they had met Farina denounced the litter in her mother's belly to be siblings; in truth they were half-siblings as best anyway, but until Mother and absent runt Florina had the time to speak and forgive, Farina could not concern herself with additional siblings while the first was abroad. It was a harsh outlook, but in her mind a logical decision. She could not let Florina feel replaced.

But this visit was irrelevant. Cody had gifted her the peregrine some time before and instilled in her further training on its handling, but the bird was finicky and uninterested in many of her commands. Coli did not need to know that. Farina would bring Orvar—as he had been named—by her mother's Jordheim cottage in hopes of catching her there and displaying the bird. It was an opportunity to speak, to gauge the pregnancy and stress levels. To learn if any progress had been make with Florina without the middle child present to help. Coli would not be timid around a peregrine, would she?

Farina caught a few cries whistling through Jordheim and redirected herself, surrendering without second thought to curiosity. The peregrine clinging patiently to the harness on her arm seemed to disapprove, but Mother could wait. The wolfdog smiled modestly at the sight of a very frazzled Carya, skinning lemmings with agitated determination. The two had grown up together, had been something of playmates, but like the other Astons had not progressed much further than that. Farina had only herself to blame for such a thing: For too long she had blended into the scenery. That time was over.

"Hey, uhh," Farina said, a chuckle at her lips, "heard you screaming. You skinning those things still alive or something?"

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:52 am

sorry if it's kinda rambly :P

Carya was busy attempting to skin the hides of the rabbits, having been not properly taught how to do it, her stew often ended up with a bit of fur within it. She'd learned to skin it immediately though- but only through trial and error, else her animal she'd killed wound up going bad. Rising her head from her cutting board, she say someone approaching. At first glance, Carya caught a glimpse of a darkened figure, but it was too short to be Lochlan, and not tall enough to be Niernan. So, instead of calling out to the figure as though she knew them, she awaited for the figure to approach and the sun to fade from her eyes.

Well, Hello Farina! Carya called out cheerfully, her play-mate as a child was now here smiling at her curiously, it would seem. Although they were playmates as a child, the fluffy Carya could remember not a time after they each shifted that they played together or even "hung-out", such as what her and Lochlan often did. A simple thought towards Lochlan sent hopeful shivers down her spine, in hopes that she'd be able to see him once again. He was a guardian to her, and without hesitation her body shivered as well. Recovering herself, she looked at the black and tan female, giving her an edgier smile. It's a bit chilly, aha. She would wipe her knife on the fur of her right thigh, and set it down next to the meat, giving Farina all of her attention.

Laughing at Farina's statement, she replied. Oh heh. She started, My apologies. Darn bird started ta eat th' meat I'd already skinned, all th' squaking was th' bird. It'd be rather unsanitary to skin them still alive. Her attempts at a bad joke, and feeling slightly nervous, shifted her stance and the cream wolf-dog smiled instead- again. xWhat brings ya this way? She questioned, softly, knowing well enough that the female also lived in Jordeheim- or as far as Carya could remember. Care for some dinner? It could get awful lonely living out on your own sometimes, maybe they both could use some company.

POSTED: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:59 pm

<3

Ah, Carya. Always the sweet thing; she reminded Farina a bit of eldest sister Fiora, though the Aston boasted a bit more confidence in herself. The wolfdog dragged her eyes down the unsightly gash scarring half her complexion deep and well—that's something new—before recalling to mind Palaydrian's mention that Carya had endured some form of misfortune to an outsider in months past. Farina was certain the Aston would not draw attention to the scar, and so the Hollr instead internalized her words: Oh, Carya... We'll get that motherfucker, don't worry.

Farina nodded along at comments of the Aston's pet and offered some semblance of a smile, though she was inevitably distracted. Dinner was offered and the wolfdog forced wishes for vengeance from her mind. Best to appreciate the present, after all. At least her childhood friend was still alive and here to smile as if nothing had happened.

"Oh, um. Yeah, sure," Farina stammered, refocusing and boasting a grin. "I'm a shitty cook, so I'm sure anything you make will be better than the slop I eat. Do you, uh, mind if I watch? I could use some tips."

"I was just swinging by to see if my mother or Fiora were around. Cody gave me this peregrine and I wanted to show them." Farina raised the bird on harnessed arm a few inches, glowing with pride. "I'm not sure he's fond of me yet or anything, but it's pretty cool, right?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Farina seemed to be mostly distracted, but she was nodding her head at Carya's comments. Smiling broadly, she wondered what Farina was thinking. If the Aston pup had been able to read Farina's thoughts, she would have hugged Farina, but for now- perhaps it was best to keep the distance. Besides, the bulkier female probably wasn't a hugger, and to be honest; the only one that Carya really ever hugged anymore was Lochlan, or her family.

Thoughts tossed aside, the young Aston found herself looking at the slightly older female, and smiled brightly, her blue eyes looking directly into her own brown eyes. Great! She clapped her hands a little bit, and then corrected herself with a small laugh. 'Course I don't mind! It's good to have a little bit of company. She found a small giggle forming in the base of her throat and falling out of her mouth when Farina said she was a shitty cook. I'm not shitty, her voice was soft at this word. But, I'm not the best. Least I can get my own cooking down. She grinned, figuring that she might be boasting so kind of flung her hand in the air awkwardly trying to make it go away.

Then she turned to the Peregrine falcon, and Carya's eyes lit up, her black lips forming a rather mischievous grin. Heh, I've one too. Figuring that Farina was excited about hers though, Carya instead rolled her shoulders, nonchalantly- smiling again, at the flower sibling. What's his name? Was it a he? She hoped so. Oh right, dinner.

Walking to her cutting board on the small table, she gave herself a small evaluation of what she had and slowly picked up the knife. Busying her hands, she began to cut up the remaining meat with the knife she'd aqcuired. Of course, it was odd chunks, not entirely perfect and some bigger than the others, but all the while she wasn't worrying about the size, just the quality of the meat. I cut em up, cause it savors the flavor. She explained in case the female was wondering. There was an assortment of herbs setting beside the cutting board, and in re-rubbing garlic into the lemming meat, she plopped the pieces that she'd had already into the water that was partially boiling. There wasn't really anything else that would be required of the female to do, and she usually let the water and meat boil for about ten minutes before she'd withdraw the partially still red meat and dig in.

I usually skin 'em and toss the intestines to Channy. But, I think I may cook 'em with the lemming meat, if ya want? It was up to her, after all, she was Carya's guest.

POSTED: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:57 am

Carya was so enthusiastic, so innocent, the Haki had nearly forgotten how choking it could be. The accident that brought about that terrible scar might have matured the Aston, but not ruined that aura of purity she must have inherited from her mothers one way or another. All four of the Aston and Coeur children were impeccably good, with any flaws at least veiled. Carya's scarring might have been the very first bad thing to happen to their perfect little family, and Farina tried her utmost not to be envious of the family's happiness in comparison to her own. Her father was unknown, her sister was missing, her mother was consistently emotionally unstable...

A liar she would be if Farina claimed to love her family less for their problems, but damn she did wish they had less of them.

"His name?" she replied, exchanging glances with the peregrine, who stared back expectantly almost as if asking the very same question. The wolfdog frowned, her ears flipping every which direction. "Well, I wanted to call him Orvar, but then I found out my mom is sorta taking care of one of Ascher's kids named that too, so I guess I don't have one anymore." A sheepish smile. "If you have any ideas, lay 'em on me."

The hawk grew restless, and Farina allowed him leave to roost in the branches immediately above and tend to his wings. The Hollr listened as the Aston girl narrated her actions and inquired about proceedings. "Do what you want. It all tastes the same to me." Farina shrugged—then again, she was admittedly a poor cook.

She took a breath, then brought up at last the obvious. "So, uhh, how have you been doing since— you know—" Farina traced a finger down the side of her dark cheek, replicating the gash on the Aston.

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:22 pm

like i said, i'm sorry this is soooo late. if you'd lke though- we can wrap this up soon, and then we can have a new thread that's more fore-dated?? :) i'm more active now

While Carya's father was also unknown, it wasn't known to the Aston that the Haki was also fatherless. They would have more in common than the Aston would ever know. While it would seem as though the Aston child was flawless, much to Farina's thoughts- she wasn't. No, there were times that she'd sometimes bursted out with curse words, and even told her mothers' "No", but never in public. Except for the last few times she'd been walking and walking and couldn't help herself from the pain. The words just flowed off the Aston's lips like liquid gold.

Only would the Aston's thoughts cease to exist when Farina questioned Carya's own question. She hadn't had one, and did want to call him Orvar because of Ascher's own children. Carya's brow creased at the name of Ascher, but then she shook her head to herself. She'd known he'd had children and since she'd confessed her undying love for the Stormbringer male, she found herself falling in love with Lochlan. He was always there for her, and when she'd said she wanted him to always be there for her- and he seemed confused the thoughts of their time spent together came rushing back and she almost choked on her breath. The few times their lips touched in that human way, she found herself touching her lips almost as though he'd just kissed her again. She knew it had been a while since they'd seen one another and she made a note to see him, again. They needed to talk.

She looked up at Farina, and smiled, hoping that her memories of the two Stormbringer male's hadn't caused any moment of delay in their time. Maybe Thor? She grinned, speaking the name of the God in their religion. If she didn't like that then perhaps at a later date they could figure something out. Your Falcon, he is a he, correct? Maybe they could breed their falcon's together and have some babies that Carya might be able to give away, or trade. She would leave it at that though when Farina asked her about her scar, and how she'd been since then.

Making the motion, though- Carya hadn't really realized that Farina was talking about her scar at frist. Huh? It was paused though when Carya traced her face just like Farina had. Oh. That. Yeah, I'm doing well. She smiled sadly, her memories coming back, but instead of letting them bother her, Carya just rose her head a little higher and looked up. It makes me stronger, I suppose. It doesn't hurt anymore. She stated.

POSTED: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 am

I'll leave that up to you. :o We can go a couple more posts and make a new one if you'd prefer.

"I was thinking Niruin," Farina replied, and though the name rolled from her tongue with ease she could not help thinking it sounded childish and made-up. Truth be told, the Haki would never identify where exactly it had been derived, and hated to admit how naturally fitting it felt—thus options for a name remained. Farina was no artist, she bore no vivid imagination, no apt for these sorts of things. She was, after all, a great, bulking monster with eager fists. At the following question Farina fretted her brows and said, "Yeah, he's male. Why?"

Carya smiled despite finger tracing the scar, a display Farina found impossible to interpret. Why was the Aston not angry, not distressed, not anything? This glimpse seemed more resigned to a fate than hopeful for a resolution, and the Haki unconsciously tightened her fists as witness.

"Aren't you mad?" she asked, grim in manner as she motioned for the falcon to take roost in overhanging canopies and returned arm to her side. "I mean sure, it made you stronger, but aren't you mad? You're acting as if you only tripped and scuffed your knee and now you know to watch where you're walking."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

sorry it's soooo late! :P

Carya's ears swiveled on her head when she heard the name, she smiled. That's a nice name. She replied to the black and brown wolf-dog, a smile resting faintly on her lips. Oh, because Channy is a female. Maybe at one point we can breed them? Carya asked excitedly, her eyes lighting up. After all, males and female were supposed to mate and otherwise live on. So, why not breed the two Falcon's within Vinatta, maybe they could train the falcons together, too! It was an idea I was tossing around.... She said at last, a small smile on her face.

Then Farina seemed somewhat mad... And Carya's ears pinned against her skull. She let the other female speak for a while, before Carya cleared her throat and straightened her fur, giving herself something to do, before she spoke. Her eyes went to her wrists where the small lines of scars were visible, and then looked up towards Farina's face.

I am mad, yes. She said slowly, her eyes dropping to the others hands, then to her feet. And then, slowly, Carya rose her eyes to the others, filled with hate and hurt. I do not let it affect me, or try not too. For weeks, I had nightmares. Sickly, not wanting to eat, because of what he did to me. But... She slowed her voice, and gave a gentle sigh. I have realized that dwellin' on the fact that....he did it, was not my fault. Sure, I want revenge, I want to hurt him like he hurt me. She said, swallowing loudly. But, I cannot... a pause. No, will not. Let him hurt my mind. She stated matter of factly.

The accident was my own stupidity. A serious tone now. I have learned, and will no longer trust so many others. She rose her hand, as if to dismiss the topic, though if she chose to speak more on the situation Carya would listen.

POSTED: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:01 pm

Here's a good place to leave off if we want to make an updated thread.

Mate the birds? It wasn't a preposterous idea, but one that had never occurred to Farina in the least. Niruin had not been in her possession long, nor had wolfdog and falcon yet developed a bond that might be lasting. Farina hated to plan such a thing in advance. What if Cody changed his mind or thought her inadequate as a falconer? What if she was too rough with the bird and he fled? Admittedly, breeding Niruin was the very least of her thoughts at the time.

"Sure," came her reply. "I'm not gonna force him or anything, but if he's interested we can try sometime."

Carya withered beneath the pressure of Farina's words despite the meaning attempted behind them. The wolfdog never meant to offend or oppress or intimidate. But the Aston composed herself and surfaced the truths from her heart, clear and confident and with a level of conscious maturity she so often left veiled. Beneath that quietly charming and kindly exterior was a deep thinker, likely made deeper after the experience, and Farina could only smile at its conclusion.

She had a damned amazing friend in Carya Aston. "You're great, Carya," said Farina. "You really are. We're gonna get that sick bastard, yeah?"

Farina connected eyes only a moment as if to wordlessly swear her committment and regret, unable to process the words she needed to do so. "C'mon, let's stow this kind of shit-talk and stuff our faces," she announced next, reacquainting with positivity and slapping a hand on her friend's shoulder, squeezing it only once before releasing if it were allowed to fall. They were Vinattans, and they were childhood friends. There would be justice.

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

Dead Topics