I'm spoiled by your distraction

POSTED: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

almonds...

The fur was wearing away from her fingers. The sides that did not have the thick pads of skin gave way to small lines where the butt of the arrow was held just before she relaxed her form, setting it loose. It happened again and again, one after the other. The sound of the soft thud of a hit target filling her mind where thoughts of her brother, her lost pack mate, and the future of everything and everyone wanted so badly to reside.

She could be better. And so that was what she allowed herself to feel. Anger and a generous hint of self loathing, criticizing her movements and stance, how high her elbow came and how she breathed. The girl shot, and the arrow did not fit the small target she had set. It was a claw width to the right. She shook her head, grasped the branch of the leafless tree she stood beneath and pulled her chin up to the rough bark. Relaxing her arms she lowered her body back to the ground, toes just barely touching before she grit her teeth and pulled herself back up. Chin reaching over the edge, claws sinking into the tree's dead skin.

When her arms burned she released her hold, feet falling gracefully to the ground. Andira rubbed the pins and needles out of her hands as she walked to the the trees trunk and plucked the arrow from the bark. A finger ran over the small notch that she had made, her bullseye, before turning to walk out past her previous spot and trying again. Harder, better, faster, stronger.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:32 am

Of late Farina made every attempt to sustain an empty mind, a state of constant instinct and consciousness. No distractions, no memories, not when her life was not where she wished it to be. Not when the troubles only dragged her down further.

In truth, the Hollr had next to nothing worth complaint—so little, in fact, she felt as if her worries were not to be considered legitimate. Florina was absent, though her packmates seemed hardly concerned about it. New children had been added to their small Haki family, two girls and a boy between Colibri and Niernan, and at present Farina was torn whether to involve herself in their lives or remain focused on personal tasks at hand: defending the pack, broadening her horizons, bringing Florina home. Few came to inquire on her state of mind, likely considering the Hollr as stony and relentless in mind as she made herself to appear, though it was far from the truth.

But she had home here. In Vinatta she had friends and family, though Farina could boast no close relationship with any individual. She thought she might have become better friends with Cody, but the Rhiannon was perhaps so involved with Aspen to the point of scarcity. But conversations with Carya had doubled as of late, and perhaps soon the vin Haki would at long last have someone to confide in.

Noise in the forest during her travels stirred Farina's desire to prove herself as an attentive Araedi, but brought her instead to Andira, training alone with her bow. Farina watched her a short while, absorbing both the Coeur's obvious skill with her weapon of choice and the rather stark look in her denim eyes. Andira had always been the more distant of the Aston children, at least in Farina's eyes; the two had little interaction, and their meeting now bore the potential to be awkward.

She swallowed the feeling. "You're pretty good," Farina said, simultaneously blunt and humble. The smile sobered to a frown, however, in further analysis. "Andira? Are you all right?"

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 pm

A voice drew her away from the target. Arms relaxed, and the bow dipped to the ground. Her arrow remained notched as she turned to see who it was that spoke. Farina. The older girl towered over her in the familiar fashion of one of her brothers, her dark gaze causing Andi to peer a tad deeper, looking a second longer into her eyes. Seeking out her expression that was written on her black and burnt umber features.

She shrugged off her compliment, and the question was quite surprising to the Cœur. It called out the emotions. Were they written so blatantly on her face, the anger etched into her body. Oak had always told her that he could see the anger in her. At first Andi didn’t know what to say, not to the girl that did not know her. She looked down at the bow replying with a, Thanks. before figuring how to answer her question.

I’m fine. She lied, blatantly and un-remorseful. She could be cold and made of stone when she wanted to be, but not necessarily when she needed to be... Another weakness. Working on my upper body strength. The Hollr explained, moving one of her arms slightly. Feeling the thick, tired but growing muscles. It’s important when working with the bow. She had gotten the idea from Iris, but changed the exercise from push ups to pull ups. What brings you out here? As she spoke the question she let the arrow come free from the string, holding both elements in a single hand. Her eyes returned to Farina, softening as the rest of her settled into a more comfortable stance.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Even despite their few interactions Farina had always seen the Coeur as somewhat stiff and unreadable, at least compared to the bubbly Carya, impulsive Auguste and leisurely Valerian. She was a fellow warrior, one as dedicated to the art as Farina herself, and it was a wonder the two did not speak often. More than likely they had more in common than the vin Haki and any of the other Aston children. Could be that Andira simply kept to herself more, or that—and it was far more likely—Farina was not as apt in socialization as she thought. Now that she thought of it, the wolfdog never really did reach out to acquaintances to form better relationships...

The response was not quite cold. Tepid, really, words automatic as if required. Farina could not determine whether her presence was unwelcome, whether her inquiry might have been prying too much as simple and harmless as it had been delivered. Andira warded the sentiment with the classic "I'm fine," and Farina visibly fretted in doubt.

"Well, if you say so," she said, though her tone was hardly dismissing of the concern. She nodded at talk of the bow and attempted a smile, genuine and upbeat as she tried to make herself out to be. Perhaps the mood would become contagious. "I'm just walking home. I took a trip around the border. Trying to become an Araedi and all."

"I would hope you're going for the same," she added. "Unless you're training this hard for some other reason."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:27 pm

She could not help but notice the larger, darker girl reaction to her reply. Even with her inky gaze she could see through Andira's facade. Even if that was the truth she was not about to delve into her mixed emotions, they were turbulent and terrifying. Farina's words made it well known that she did not believe her, and that caused her jaw to set with clenched teeth. She did not think her own emotional blatancy was worth the other girl's attitude. As Andi took it.

The merle female nodded, I am... She replied, annoyed by the other's remarks. Though the Hollr attempted to quell it, as she had already been agitated before the vin Haki had come up upon her. Thankfully Andi knew enough not to throw her anger at any target that appeared, she was too precise for that. working towards being an Araedi. she finished. Her eyes looked along the tall lines of the other female, she looked like a warrior just like she could see the warrior in Bran. Andi thought herself more like Shiloh, underestimated but powerful regardless of appearance. Andi's only intimidation came from her bow.

Are you also training with a weapon? Andi then asked, curious of the other female's own training. Andi hadn't spoke to many about her hopes for the Guardian rank path, or even revealing that it was a distant hope. The girl wanted to be prepared, as prepared as she could possibly be, before she addressed the Virding. That was just how she was.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am

Farina's sympathy was, quite frankly, unwanted. The vin Haki was not the most emphatic, not the most intelligent wolfdog out there, but her fellow Hollr's mood was unmistakable. Why would someone resent another for something as insignificant as a glimpse of concern? So they were not good friends—so what? Were they not packmates? Part of a team?

As much as she wanted to say something, Farina allowed the dirty look to fly one last time. If she had done something to offend, then it was her own fault and bringing it up too soon would only make things worse. Besides, the closed-off Coeur answered her inquiry given enough time and offered one of her own. Though Andira was hardly wordy in her exchanges, it was improvement.

"Nah," said the informal Farina, pounding one fist into palm of the second and matching the motion with a grin bursting with confidence. "Just working with my hands. I'm not real dextrous, you know? Not like you and Shiloh." Her shoddy stonework was plenty evidence of that.

"Besides, I can take a hit or two." That was a vast underestimation of her stamina, but Farina hadn't the self-awareness to understand her own power. "Those arrows would hurt like hell, though. Is someone teaching you? I mean, we could train together or something, if you wanted."

Yeah, right. As if Andira wouldn't scowl and turn her nose up to the offer.

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Exposing her bleeding heart to anyone beyond the small tight circle of confidants would not get Andi anywhere. How she worried for Val or that she even cared for her brother was likely scoffed at by the earthed toned male. They had been distant since childhood. It did not make the fact that she loved him an impossible notion... But none of that was something she wished to explain to the tall vin Haki woman. She hadn't know her fellow Hollr to care, or even speak wit her so any interest in her feelings seemed forced and awkward. Even if it was only her imagination. Even if she just couldn't see the genuine concern.

The conversation was shifting towards their common ground rather then Andi's fitful mood. Far more comfortable with the idea of discussing training she took Farina's grin as contagious and let a smile touch her own lips. When she mentioned Andi in the same sentence as Shiloh she could not help but take it as a compliment. Shiloh had been the girl's inspiration, mentor even, when she had chosen her rank path. That anyone (beside herself) would think them similar made her smile further. And soften her exterior.

Just slightly of course, just enough to be noticed to keen eyes.

Her arrows would more then hurt like hell as Farina put it. Where she aimed they would not just maim but kill. I've had a few archery lessons. Andira admitted, smile fading, just what Ascher had shown her in archery and not in any sort of combat. Fingers ran over the bow's hard wood, that was her only weapon. But Farina's body was her greatest tool. The idea wasn't new to her, but the interest certainly was. It was unlikely that she would miss. But the circumstances might not always be in her favor, her bow not in reach...

I would appreciate that. her tone was genuine. Then she asked, In hand to hand? My arrows might not always hit their target, and I want to be prepared. She felt far less agitated and more focused with the new task. Who taught you? Andi asked as she moved to the nearest tree and placed her bow against it's trunk for safe keeping.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am

She dented the vestibule, however miniscule, and impacted something beneath the surface for Andira was smiling next and speaking a touch more gently. Farina, far more dense than unintelligent, could not determine what it was precisely that made ripples in their conversation; whatever it was, she had done well. Maybe this exchange would not be so painful after all.

Andira's smile would fade as quickly as it came, but the image stuck in the wolfdog's mind. She wished it permanent. How charming Andira might have been if she softened as such more often, if she let someone in. Or did she? Was there someone Andira would smile for willingly?

Agitation did not rush back into her tone, words seemingly genuine upon agreement to spar. Momentarily dumbfounded, Farina shook herself from inability to follow the Coeur's moods and just in time to respond. "Sure. And maybe you can teach me a thing or two about how that bow works and where to aim."

Moments before, Andira seemed to reject her company. Now, the bow was set aside—Farina could not tell if it had been done begrudgingly—and all focus was turned the way of the wolfdog. "No one," she said, taking a breath to quell her anxieties. "I've sparred with a few people, but I've been trying to teach myself."

Scratching at an ear, she shrugged. "I might ask about Casa di Cavalieri once I become an Araedi. Maybe someone can teach me more there if I stayed for a couple weeks." A pause. "We could go together. I'm sure they have archers."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:10 pm

The world shifted as Andi did. That was certainly common in her life, when one's mood could be so thick that it moved others right along with it's sway. Though she could keep her features placid, they were far from soft and that stony exterior was just as readable and gave the same weight to those watcher her as if she sat in tears or screamed with rage. And when she smiled, drew soft breath and allowed her pleasant nature to be seen she could see Farina react to it.

Farina agreed to showing Andi some hand to hand techniques, and the Hollr had every intention of starting the lessons without delay. There could not be a guarantee that Farina would have the time when Andi came to her for the fighting lesson. And, if the two were free now (as it seemed) then why not just get started? She was always eager to learn something new, and hated the idea of waiting only second to the idea of missing out.

Andira nodded, Of course, I would be happy to. With the other fey's upper body strength there was no shortage of power that would be laid into the arrow.

A trip to Casa di Cavalieri? The girl hadn't thought about the pack much since she had met their Anna. The girl had been quite friendly with Andi at the New Dawn youth gathering, and she considered the golden female a rare friend. To see her again... the idea made her stomach do something weird and unfamiliar. Regardless of what her body told her she would go with Farina, as she was not about to miss the opportunity. That's a good idea, I would love to learn anything they could teach me. She replied with denim eyes on the other's dark orbs. She had met many with such colorful gazes, and even those that were purely frightening, but none with the inkwells that Farina held.

She stood in front of the other Hollr, wondering how to even start off. She hadn't seen anyone fight in Optime form and in lupus it had been simply rough housings between siblings. Andi shrugged a shoulder. Lets see if I can take a hit., her tone was bordering on something playful as she attempted to prepare herself for what the vin Haki girl might teach her. Though she didn't know where to put her hands, how to hold her arms or what stance to take.

Alli
Luperci
HER BOW IS DRAWN
TO WORLDS OF DARK

POSTED: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:29 am

One way or another Farina had won Andira over of sorts, though still the wolfdog could not identify how or why.

In fact, it set her on edge. Minutes before the Coeur had been closed off and seemingly impatient with forced dialogue, yet now accomodated, smiled and turned pleasantly talkative. Though delighted at the second chance of sorts, Farina simply could not find a pattern, a distinguishable cause and effect occurring between them. It never occurred to her that frankly, the dark wolfdog might just have been a genuinely likeable individual. Contagious, even.

Andira agreed with the arrangement to teach mutual strengths to one another, then similarly complied at offer to travel to Casa di Cavalieri. The trip was no small idea, requiring some manuever, a trek, and weeks spent away from home—and yet, just like that, Andira agreed. Despite Farina's assumed company, despite the hassle unspoken but inevitably involved, she agreed. A goofy smile spread on the vin Haki's face, feelings of acknowledgement and acceptance uplifting, and all the Hollr could mutter was a grinning "Cool."

The Coeur assumed an awkward combatative stance and challenged her fellow Hollr forward. Farina considered her a moment, then if she allowed it took the woman's wrists and raised them higher in the air and unpinned her arms from her sides. "Well, um," said Farina, ears flipped. "I don't want to hurt you, so why don't you just try blocking or deflecting? Do what comes natural for now."

Self-taught in the basics, Farina had worked proper defense from raw instincts in her own instruction. Straightening and backing a proper distance, the Hollr would take a break before throwing a few weak punches and a kick, always sure to stop herself short if need be and restrain all power.

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

Dead Topics