raise the sticks

POSTED: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Cody!

For too long Farina had felt average, like a creature always clothed in the shadows of her upstanding packmates, like something that had been unable to crawl into their same light. She contributed to the pack—sometimes. When it was convenient for her. She pulled her way up the ranks—once. When she was considered too old for the last one.

It did not sit well with her, this averageness, this questionable potential, this suffering self-worth. Rina did not care for power, for earning the respect of her kin and their gods thanks to a shiny title or a few extra responsibilities to tie her in place. If she was going to become something, to shape herself into something worth respecting, Rina was prepared to honor her name with heightened skill and rounded attributes. She hadn't much talent with a weapon, but she would learn. She hadn't great ability on or with horses, but she would learn. And she hadn't the luck or patience with birdkeeping and falconry, but she would learn. And to learn, Rina decided, she would hunt down Cody, whom introduced her to the concept in the first place.

A vague awareness of his den location brought her to an empty home, and thereafter Farina spent time wandering in search and barking his name into the air, short of patience. A few past glimpses of him near Aspen's home drew her in, his name echoing in short, somewhat curt barks into the autumn winds.

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Unfortunately Gwnyth is out hunting at the moment but she'll be back before the two get finished speaking and talking. :) At least her fledgeling is there for Cody to talk to Farina about. He's got a friend who's got a snowy owl. Maybe they can talk about him getting it for her? <3 He's also in paiiiiin. :| [605]

It had been two days since Soren had visited him with talks of adopting him as one of her own, despite the fact that he had a mother, and having re-bandaged and set his ankle. He didn't often enjoy the company of those who he did not know, but she'd seemed like family enough and had known his nana. He'd been intrigued by that thought alone and that had brought him a rather ample grin now that he thought about it in the company of both his two peregrine falcons and the single cat who still glared at him whenever he came around. He had a small inkling that the cat, Major, disliked him quite a bit, not just because of what he'd done to Aspen, but because he was within his domain, his home and had brought with him the enemy, or in this case, the peregrine falcons. The window beside him was open though only Gwnyth had left to hunt for both her and her child. She'd be back in a bit which left him with only her son, the son he'd not yet named, who seemed to stare through him with beady black eyes, sharp peaked beak poised and alert while his wings were settled firmly against his sides.

He'd not heard the barking from a distance though he knew almost immediately who it was by the simple sound of her voice. Farina had always been the kind to seek out what she wanted, when she wanted. She was opportunistic as he'd put it before. Though, he'd only recently seen them, her and her family, at the naming ceremony where he'd not really gotten to speak. All of the pups of the pack were growing fast which made him feel old, despite the fact that a year before, he'd been in very much the same spot, only off by a few months. With his name echoing slightly about the air, the sound of Farina's voice still calling back to him, the lupus Cody shifted slightly upon the bed of furs and straw to bark out his reply. It'd both give Farina a clue of where he was and permission to enter the home. Aspen was out at the moment, watching the sheep and horses, perhaps feeding his own, the one he'd given a Spanish name he still couldn't quite get right as far as pronunciation went. Hopefully the horse would be used to Aspen by the time he got out of here.

With the sound of his bark, Major seemed to stand straight up, fur on high end with the loudness of Cody's voice only he didn't say anything toward the wolf-dog, moving instead into another room, likely Aspen's which left him alone to his own vices. He reached down for an itch, nibbling lightly against his left front paw to relieve it of the tiny pinpricks. His leg felt worse than it did the day before, but then again, his newly 'adoptive' mother had indeed re-broken it to make sure it was set in place and right. After all, it'd been bad when she'd gotten here. As had the bandages that had to be changed. He shifted again, tail gently dispersing a soft airy breeze about him. The front door of Aspen's home should have been unlocked. At least he'd asked Aspen to keep it unlocked for Axle to bring Cody news of what was happening on the borders, or for whatever other reason. It'd only be a few days till he was able to get back on his feet. Already, he could feel the wound in his right leg healing.

Luperci SoSuWriMo 2013 Champ!
Milite de Faleo

POSTED: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 am

A faint reply barked from within the nearby home much to her surprise. Her hesitation lasted but seconds, wondering if she might have been interrupting something important or private, but the response had been nothing less than welcoming and an open invitation. She should not have been at ease striding into and through a house she had not once entered before—and belonging to packmates no more than acquaintances at best—but it was her hulking size that made the walk uncomfortable more than anything else. Perhaps it was all in her mind, but she felt far too big for structures like these.

"Cody?" she called in the halls as she followed his scent. "Hey, uh, it's Farina. Sorry if I'm intruding or something, but I was hoping to ask you for more tips with the falconry stuff—"

She halted in the doorway, finding him spread across the mattress with shadows feeding in and out of the pain wrinkling his face. Farina stood with mouth parted a moment before twisting her lips and saying, "Wow, all right, maybe not." Without asking permission she drew a little closer, glancing him over, scowl forming. "What the hell happened to you? You need anything?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

ooc [393]

His barked out reply went unanswered for a short moment before he heard the sound of one of Aspen's doors being pushed open. He'd never really gotten the chance to thank the dual toned female from before, other than the kiss he'd given her shortly after she'd saved him and then again when they were within the confines of the room. After all, she did check on him from time to time, bringing food and water so that he didn't starve or thirst to death. When he heard the ring of Farina's voice through the hallways, he quickly called out, a small grin lacing over his lips just a moment before she started explaining herself. When finally she'd entered the room, catching sight of him, she halted at the doorway and simply stared for a moment before her lips seemed to twist in protest and she drew a little closer,examining him, his legs which were both laced with paper, one bandaged, the other a make shift cast.

"I'll be fine. Just a little bruised and broken. My den collapsed and I almost didn't get the chance to get out," he explained quickly. "You said you needed help with falconry? What do you need to know?" Though he quickly sidestepped her question on if he needed anything, the fact of the matter was that he really needed to get out of bed soon and her arriving gave him the slightest chance of company that he needed more than anything else at the moment. He glanced toward the peregrine falcon on the stand just a ways across the room and it had seemingly taken notice of Farina. He'd meant to make the trip to Anathema to see if there was anyone there who wanted him, mostly because Cody was unsure of whether or not he wanted to name the docile male lest he got attached to him like he had Gwnyth. Already the boy was taking on coloring much like what his father had to of looked like. He already knew how to fly and the only reason he hadn't yet escaped was because Cody and Gwnyth offered food and shelter, water and the benefit of having others of his kind around.

Quietly, Cody's eyes found their way back to the Haki girl. "That bird's unnamed. Maybe he and I can still help you."

Milite de Faleo

POSTED: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

With all his scrapes and bruises and wrappings, Cody didn't look as if he could hold up a hawk, let alone instruct her how to work with one. Farina frowned at his story, quick as it was and given without detailed explanation. Perhaps he did not want to talk of it at present, but she committed to memory the intention of squeezing it out of him another way.

"I'm sorry," she said, anxiously turning her gaze, "but, umm, I'm glad you're all right. If you'd like help rebuilding it when you're better, maybe I can help you figure out a way to keep it up this time." A small, weak laugh. An attempt at humor, apparently failed.

She followed his eyes to the peregrine across the room, and a small "Oh," escaped her lips in surprise. How had she missed even its scent? Some lousy guardian she would be.

Creeping closer to the bird, she replied in much quieter, more patient tones. "I'm not really good with them at all. I can't really get them to come close, and I'm so, so," so big, "well, I'm scared I'm going to hurt them."

The falcon was beautiful, delicate even. She reached for it hesitantly only to retract her hand out of last-second fear and look upon the bird dejectedly. "Where did he come from?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:17 am

ooc [638]

Cody may not have looked like much at the moment but that wasn't really the case. Even though he seemed pain, Cody was as strong as ever, even as Farina frowned at his story, anxiously looking away to pass a joke his way. He smiled for an instant at her, almost as if asking whether she was serious or not, though in the end, he couldn't help but grin mischievously and shift around on the bed, the clean bandage gently rubbing against the wound that had been stitched shut to avoid scarring. "No need to apologize," he responded in kind. "Thanks. I'm glad I'm okay too. I don't think I'm going to build another den just yet. I'll wait till I'm about to be a father before I do that again — If I do that again. Dens are easy to make. It just takes a constant hand. I was in that place for almost a year. Now I've got a new place here in Jordheim. You can come visit now without worrying about intruding."

It seemed as if Farina had missed sight of the black and white peregrine, but then again, some canines he'd met had given him sight to the stuffed version, something they called taxidermy that had taken the remains of several different animals to create something of their furs that almost captured the real them. He gave a nod of his head in gift to Farina before watching as she crept toward where it stood. The bird gave a sharp click of its beak but did not move back, standing his ground as his wings slightly spread. He was used to being around Cody but the falcons he'd already given away had gone too soon to their new homes, leaving him to his lonesome. "I wouldn't worry about that," he answered, shaking his head briefly, "they're just as scared of you as you are of them. Show no fear and — well, — you may just have yourself a new friend," he started. "A lot of wolves are scared of hurting them. I know I was at one point scared of hurting Gwn but to be honest, she hurt me a lot more than I hurt her. Believe me there."

As if in answer to Cody's words, as Farina reached her hand out to touch the peregrine, he seemed to retract back for a moment before his beak flashed forward, only just missing Farina's hand due to her pulling it back just a few seconds prior to it snapping. "That's Gwn's first batch. She ended up mating with a stray peregrine and we never saw him again. I'm starting to think that it's possible it was found by a hunter or something outside of Vinatta. But this guy can already fly." Cody felt bad, though. Almost as if he were selling the poor peregrine. But then again, he didn't feel nearly as bad as he probably should have. If he did so without Gwn near by, he knew he'd end up with a depressed bird for more than a few days. It had happened when he'd given the other two away. Trading one for poison berries which he'd squeezed himself. That poison still remained in a jar, buried near the Vineyard but not in plain sight so that any stray pups could get to it.

"He's also pretty good at hunting. His mom taught him all she knows. He doesn't leave much because he knows there's food and water here but I'm not ready to give him a name just yet. I don't want to claim him because I know I'll end up giving him away." He rose slightly from the pelt built bed upright into a sitting position before his hands fell back to the furs beneath himself. "Do you want to try and hold him?"

Milite de Faleo

POSTED: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 am

"A father?" Farina asked, furrowing her brows. It was a very big task for such a specific necessity and it caught her off guard, one strange enough to briefly draw her attention from the peregrine. "That's kind of a tall order, don't you think? I don't remember you hanging out with any ladies." Had she any grasp on her own femininity or sexuality whatsoever, she might have actually interpreted his words as reason to disassociate herself and quickly, but lacking such Farina responded only with the bare complexity of a child, and she nodded along benevolently at his invitation to visit his new home.

Fearless as she typically was, Farina cowered only from things smaller than her—bird, pups, it didn't matter. She was thick and looming with her height and build and feared even the gentlest touch might wound without intent and earn her both resentment and a misguided reputation. But for now the wolfdog breathed in deep and repeated his advice in her head, squaring her jaw and brows before reaching a hand once more to pet the bird's head and back, continuing even if it snapped.

As Cody sat up Farina retracted her reach from the peregrine accordingly and stepped back. "Yes," she replied unflinchingly, but frowned at him as he moved upright and crossed the room to gently push his shoulders back down against the mattress. "Don't get up. I can do it if you tell me how."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:02 am

ooc [433]

Farina seemed as she'd always been, curious yet somewhat held back as well, rebellion in her quake. It did not take long for the Rhiannon man to smile at her when she furrowed her brows at his statement, retorting with what Cody could only but call an insult to him and his manhood. He frowned for a moment then a smile streaked over his lips with a silent chuckle. "Farina, have you noticed who's home I'm in? This is Aspen's house, not mine." Farina didn't seem to grasp much upon the relationship front but then again, she was still young and had her whole life ahead of her. There would no doubt be other wolves and canines that'd approach her in the future over her looks and actions, no doubt that she'd make a perfect warrior of a wife or even a leader one day, despite the rebellion within her.

He barely shielded such thoughts with the young girl, letting them lessen the binds between them that made them who they were. Only, she wasn't as fearless when it came to the bird upon the stand for even with her breathing, that deep and rooted sensation moving through her, he could tell that she had her work cut out for her if she wanted to be a falconer like him or his friend's widow. She squared her jaw and brows as she reached out to pet the peregrine's head and the peregrine, in return, seemed to respond in kind, at least under Cody's fierce gaze at it. It had snapped once, and only once. If Farina had been caught, well, it was sharp enough to give hint that touching a bird without it's master's permission was not in the least a good thing. He smiled for a moment at the scene before letting his eyes adjust to the light springing in through the window.

However, moments later the girl was upon him, replying as she pushed his shoulders back down against the bed of furs and pelts. "I'm fine, I'm fine. I don't recall hearing that a broken ankle made someone an invalid," he announced fruitlessly, laying down regardless with his head caught upon a pillow and his bear's fur. "First thing's first. You see that bag over there." His head jerked toward the bag that stood across the room, nearly stock full with whatever was in it. "There's a few leather straps but one looks almost like a harness. Strap that to your forearm. It won't fit perfectly but it should be enough for right now. Make sure the buckles hold tightly."

Milite de Faleo

POSTED: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 am

Benevolently Cody reminded her of the home she had entered, but Farina had not forgotten. His home had collapsed and he was wounded—she had not thought twice about his staying with someone else. But the fact that he had chosen to stay with Aspen over any other probably should have hinted something more to her, and at that the wolfdog shrugged sheepishly and decided not to reply. Aspen and Cody? Huh.

"So you two are a thing, then?" she asked, distracted by the designs on the peregrine's feathers. "That's, uhh, great. Right? You're happy?"

The bird caught her finger, meanwhile, but the woman did not relent despite the sting. The peregrine seemed to relax thereafter to some extent, and Farina determinedly pet its head with all hesitations hidden away. After forcing Cody back onto the mattress her focus returned to the bird, now supported by her packmate's directions; she retrieved the bag and fastened the harness to her forearm, straining the buckles to fit as tight as possible.

Smiling to herself she said, "Now what? Is he going to snap at me again if I try this?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:18 pm

I figure he can show her how to feed and water him. Then after we can close this thread and start another for a more current date so that he can show her how to fly him. I'm thinking that we can have Cody give her this peregrine since he already has one and that to end this, he can tell her that he wants her to come and feed and water him for as long as it takes. Sound good? [426]

The girl didn't seem to think anything of Cody being here in Aspen's home, but of course, the innocence behind the gesture was just that; innocence. Cody being here was not a sign that Aspen and himself were together. No, not yet. The two barely knew each other but he did, after what had happened, intend to get to know her more if it was at all possible. He shifted slightly, glancing over her with a small grin as she sheepishly shrugged her shoulders and asked of him a question. Though immediately his shook his head, floppy ears shaking briefly with the jostling movement of his body. "No, no.. We're not together or a thing just yet. I mean, I like Aspen. More so after what happened but I'm not sure how she'd feel about that," he replied curtly, a small sigh parting his can-id lips.

"More than anything, I'm sure that she feels this was just the right thing to do." She had focused herself on studying the peregrine's markings, the series of whites and pale blackish blues that jostled near the end of his tail feathers, spreading over his wings with a remarkable speckled pattern. "I'm more than happy right now.. I've gotta get a new house, of course. The moment I'm able to move about."

Farina did not relent upon her search of the young falcon, even as it caught upon her finger, even as it relaxed under her guiding pets and as Cody moved to settle against the mattress, the tri-colored female immediately moved back to the task at hand. She retrieved the bag, fastening the harness a moment after finding it from within the bag and as she strained the heavy buckles that were meant to be for the size of his arm, Cody looked up and over to the peregrine again. He had an inkling that after this, he'd have to train the bird more forcefully, considering he'd never done this with another canine in his entire life. When Farina had gotten the buckles on as tightly as possible, Cody quietly gave a nod toward the falcon. "Approach him slowly so he isn't spooked and lightly hold your arm out and against the perch. Catching him when he's flying is a bit different but we can get to that later if you'd like."

He gave a nod of his head. "Now, when you get your arm against the perch, click your teeth sharply like I taught you when you were younger. One time means to perch, two means to fly." He'd only taught them this way because he knew that perching and flying were two different things. Whistling was what he used when they were flying but of course, Farina could learn that later on.

Milite de Faleo

Dead Topics