borderline

Farina

POSTED: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 pm

the angel opens her eyes

Forward dated to the 17th, hope you don’t mind! I suck at starters lol.:: Optime :: +545

Her recent trip to Sangi’lak had been a success. It had been good to rub shoulders with the nomads once more and clear up the air that had gone stale since her last visit. Plus it was nice to see that the nomads were settling into their new territory and she was pleased to find she wasn’t the only viking that had come to offer her aid. Now the grounds bordering New Dawn had a few of her gourd homes for their birds and owls to settle into before the seasons turned cold. She’d hoped her offers of goodwill would reflect positive thoughts back to the nomads about the vikings, but she knew the tensions between her pack and X’yrin’s were far from over. This didn’t stop the Vald from calling the Shepherd woman her friend. As she had said before, the opinions of a few fellow packmates did not influence the entire pack and her friendship was one she wanted to keep and nourish. Like the plants she so painstakingly took care of, any type of relationship took work and nurturing. The Vald had decided she’d not let her efforts go wasted this time. Trips to the nomad territory would become a recurring thing.

It was good to be back home, though discovering Runi a few days ago had been quite heartbreaking and Palaydrian had had her handpaws full with seeing to his care and nursing him back to health with the help of her packmates. Once she was sure the young Stormbringer was in a stable state and had the watchful eyes of Sky and Leaf keeping a vigil, the Soul woman set off for the borders. It hadn’t taken her long to fall back into her old routine, patrolling the home she loved and called home and keeping watchful eyes on the surroundings of the territory. Whomever had gotten to Runi would pay for what they had done, but right now the Vald was only interested in making sure Vinatta was safe and free of the scent of strangers too close to their borders. Carya had been taken unawares too close to home and until Runi was able to speak of the horror he’d come to withstand, the vikings could only make assumptions of what had taken place.

The luperci woman walked astride the perimeter, slingshot in one hand and a long braid falling over her left shoulder. She was a bit lost in her thoughts, troubled that her family had fallen under so much hardship over the past few months and trying to decipher a plan of action to take. Hunting down the evil that had touched her pack brother and sister seemed to be the only answer, but at the moment...it wasn’t quite logical. Revenge was never the answer, but nor was sitting around. She settled on the decision to make her home safer as that was really all she could do at the moment. An increase in patrol and more scouting outside of the territory should do the trick, or at least increase Vinatta’s presence out of their pack lands. Maybe the scent of numbers would ward off anymore savages wanting to bestow ill will on the pack? She could only try.

Table by Shannon <3.

the angel opened her eyes
Ascend to A Chosen Path = ValdEarn A Co-Rank = FalconerEarn A Co-Rank = MedicEarn A Co-Rank = ApothecaryCelebrate A Norse Holiday = OstaraTrade With Another Pack = Sangi'lakTeach The Aeska = Valerian CoeurHave Pups = Tyris Kurosoul & Taro KurosoulConvert To The Norse ReligionGain A Mate = Jiva TakekuroBecome a Council Member = Áðr ValdOrganise A Pack Activity = "Culling the Herd"Have Pups = Dagr SoulGain A Mate = Bran StormbringerBecome A Grandparent = Bjorn Moineau, Juno Kurosoul, & Robin MoineauHave Pups = Ahti Firebringer, Akara Firebringer, Izrian Firebringer, & Sylven Firebringer

X-tian
Luperci The gods will always smile on brave women... I Am Iron And I Forge Myself
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:11 am

Perhaps it was Cody that sparked the interest in falconry within her, but Farina had always been fascinated by birds. Such lithe, little things, light enough for the wind to carry. Fragile and small with strong, striking voices.

Those were but songbirds, of course, and her opposite. Hawks and eagles seemed rare and exotic and powerful, bulkier versions of feathery things like the very large Farina felt among her own kin. The Hollr took greater interest in their ways, always halting any immediate processes to observe the patterns of passing birds of prey and retain what she could of their behavior. Rina could not tame one alone—she doubted she could tame one at all—but the inspiration and exhileration beat on in her chest, and many days like this one were spent hunting down accessible nests for future reference.

In her endeavors she found Palaydrian walking the borders, the dedicated sentinel as Farina expected her to be. The wolfdog went oddly unnoticed at first, and while she and Palaydrian were nothing more than acquaintances, Farina sensed the woman distracted for good reason.

"Hey," she said, hastening heavy-footed pace to catch up. "Need some help?"

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 pm

the angel opens her eyes

:: Optime :: +307

A puff of steam curled around the siamese luperci’s snout as she strode along. The Fall mornings were already chillier than usual, she hoped this wasn’t a sign of a bad winter ahead, but the amount of hunting she and the other Valds had done over the past few weeks would last them well into the colder temperatures. Her thoughts were still entangled in the happenings she nor any other viking could’ve controlled, but her senses remained ignorant to another’s presence until a voice startled her out of her reverie. She blinked away the surprise, stained glassed eyes focusing on the familiar black and tan of one of the Haki girls as a friendly smile spread across her lips and continued into the gentle sway of her tail.

Good Morning Farina, she replied, stopping mid stride to turn towards the other. I’d love your company and an extra set of eyes, she said with a nod, it was good to see another youth interested in helping out. The last time she’d spent with the other was when she was still a pup and Palaydrian had given both her and Cody a lesson in self defense. At the time it seemed the Haki youth had a little crush on her fellow Vald, she wondered if those feelings had carried over into adulthood, but she’d never pry.

Palaydrian gestured they continue walking in the direction she had been going. You snuck up on me. I must admit, my mind has been elsewhere, she confessed with a light chuckle, and for once, her thoughts weren’t consumed by a certain gilded male. How’s Fiora? Is she keeping up with the herbs? The Vald asked, remembering the time she’d explained a few aquatic plants to the Hollr’s sister.

Table by Shannon <3.

Ascend to A Chosen Path = ValdEarn A Co-Rank = FalconerEarn A Co-Rank = MedicEarn A Co-Rank = ApothecaryCelebrate A Norse Holiday = OstaraTrade With Another Pack = Sangi'lakTeach The Aeska = Valerian CoeurHave Pups = Tyris Kurosoul & Taro KurosoulConvert To The Norse ReligionGain A Mate = Jiva TakekuroBecome a Council Member = Áðr ValdOrganise A Pack Activity = "Culling the Herd"Have Pups = Dagr SoulGain A Mate = Bran StormbringerBecome A Grandparent = Bjorn Moineau, Juno Kurosoul, & Robin MoineauHave Pups = Ahti Firebringer, Akara Firebringer, Izrian Firebringer, & Sylven Firebringer

X-tian
Luperci The gods will always smile on brave women... I Am Iron And I Forge Myself
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 am

Though she had been a near-constant presence since the wolfdog's birth Palaydrian was still little more than an acquaintance and friendly face. Farina always assumed the two would not have much in common; like Fiora she seemed much too feminine in figure and demeanor to compare to Farina. And yet as the Hollr drew close she recognized their heights to be closer than expected, and the tone on the Rikr's body to be approaching her own. Beside one another they might have still seemed night and day; the light-pelted Palaydrian wore muscle and height much more gracefully than the dark, wide-shouldered Farina.

She was greeted pleasantly and fell in step with a smile. Drin admitted to some surprise, at which the wolfdog chuckled and replied, "I'm no good at sneaking, so whatever has your head tied up must be good." She sobered. "Haven't seen you around the area much either, lately. Thought you might be leaving for somewhere. It's enough to make a girl curious."

But she left it at that, despite the quiet encouragement for Palaydrian to explain. Farina was hardly the type to pry into the personal lives of her packmates, but thanks to her rank and independence the wolfdog was commonly left uninformed of more important issues around the pack—issues perhaps big enough to distract even a sentinel from her patrol.

"She's fine," Farina said, shrugging, "maybe. I mean, I don't know. I haven't lived with her and Mom for a while. She still spends a lot of time in the gardens, I think."

It occurred to her how little she knew her family personally, and for a moment the Hollr dropped her gaze. "Florina's not back either."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:32 pm

the angel opens her eyes

Woah, did not mean for this to get so lengthy! :: Optime :: +658

Though Palaydrian had been the smallest pup amongst her siblings, her diminutive stature had not lasted long. She had been a gangly youth, seemingly having paws much too big and tented ears that shadowed her face, but after two separate growth spurts, the Vald had grown into her spindly limbs, filling out to be a fine specimen of her bloodline. She had surpassed the other coming of age males within the pack and dwarfed many of its females, using the added height and bulk to her advantage and honing on the skills needed for a successful hunt. Agility, strength, and focus were what she demanded from her flesh, pushing her body at a young age to move as if she were a smaller canine, always one step ahead of her prey. She learned grace and stealth from her great grandmother, Syliat and while her family were considered outcasts for carrying the virus within their veins, Drin proved her worth time and time again. Trailing after the wolves who hunted for the pack, listening for orders from their leader as if she were included in the group, and jumping in to take down a kill alongside her racist brethren. Despite all her efforts, she’d never be fully included, but when the wheat furred she-wolf made her way to Souls, the thing that kept her grounded the most was returning to old roots--hunting.

In New Dawn she’d become Epsilon, then made a co-ranked hunter when she moved on to empathize with the pack and keep the peace as Omega. When she and her mate left to join the vikings, the only path that had spoken to her was that of Vald. This was the tie she kept with her memories of childhood, the hunt was still something that brought her joy, but so much had changed. The Rikr had become increasingly aware of her tall and muscled frame over the past few months. Now that she rarely used her lupus form, her two legged optime had become the standard followed by secui--her usual choice when hunting alone. This had been a new machine to approach altogether. In Zalen’s woods, she’d hunted as lupus, but in Vinatta, where the luperci gifted were encouraged and highly accepted, Palaydrian found a plethora of advantages in both secui and optime forms. Her body began to transform with the new use, breeding corded muscle beneath lush fur and turning Palaydrian into the viking she had truly become. She was a compassionate and selfless soul, but in the woods or defending her pack, the Rikr was above all, wolf.

She could feel her cheeks warming at the female’s words. It wasn’t like her to be caught unawares, especially while she was supposed to be diligent and alert walking the borders, but she hadn’t realized her trips out of the pack lands had gone noticed. Much of it had been scouting, but she’d lying to herself if she didn’t admit it was sometimes in hopes of coming across Aedan’s path. She replied with a half truth, quelling the embers beneath her eyes. I guess I’ve become a bit wrapped up in the unfortunate events that our Carya and Runi have been involved in. I’ve been scouting beyond our borders in search for clues or any sign of the ones responsible. She questioned the multihued female about her sister then, receiving a response that gave her pause. She’s in a good place, Zalen was my alpha once too… her voice trailed off. It had to be hard, the circumstances in which Florina had seemingly fled her home, but news had spread that she’d started building another in New Dawn.

You’re Hollr now, Drin segued, family wasn’t always the most comfortable discussion topic. Have you felt drawn to a certain path yet? She asked, pondering when her own sons would decide their future.

Table by Shannon <3.

X-tian
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:01 am

buhhhhh this is poop

Palaydrian mentioned Carya and Runi by name in conjunction with some sort of disparity, and Farina vaguely sensed her fur stand on end. "What are you talking about? What happened to them?" She knew neither packmate well though she had grown up alongside the Aston litter and considered them extended family of sorts. Had something happenened? Why hadn't she been informed—why wasn't the whole pack informed?

"I don't care if she's in a good place," Farina said of her damned, stubborn sister, her quick temper flaring. "She should be home with us, but I guess we're not dramatic enough for her tastes."

At the mention of rank again her sights dropped, this time with considerable tension. How she hated to be ignored, to be uninformed. She knew nothing of her father, and was left to assume it was Niernan. Florina had not even said goodbye before running off to New Dawn. She hadn't even visited to say she was still alive. And Colibri— well, there was definitely something being held back when they conversed. Farina knew little of her packmates, little of pack problems. She had always been like a child without a hand to guide her from the pitch dark, and she was damned tired of it.

She took an extended breath, quelling some of her anger to continue. "I want to be one of the guardians," she said. "I want to learn how to fight, so that maybe I can be involved with hunting down whoever hurt Carya and Runi, too.. and stop blending into the background like I always have."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

the angel opens her eyes

Not at all! :: Optime :: +476

You haven’t heard, it was a soft statement, but the Rikr’s brows were knit up in question. It was strange that word hadn’t traveled, but again, Saul nor Colibri had made a statement. Troubling, especially since the attack on Runi had come shortly after Carya’s. It would be in the pack’s best interest if more vikings knew, especially the young Hollr who had recently joined the adult ranks. This was a time of adventure and exploring for them and though many life’s lessons needed to be learned in a solo fashion, Palaydrian felt it was her duty as a Vald and as a mother to protect the youth as best as she could.

Both came to harm under than hands of an outsider, she began to explain, we’re not sure if it was the same evil soul or not, but everyone should be on their guard. We can’t be taken unawares again as we were for the Ironsiders. She gave a brief nod of affirmation, continuing her pace along the borders, before commenting on Florina’s new home. The Haki girl’s scathing response didn’t come as a surprise to the ocean eyed woman, instead the Rikr gently laughed in response. Drin wasn’t a stranger to sibling rivalry, she’d grown up competing with her brothers and never truly forming the strong bond she’d always dreamt of. She often wondered how other families made it look so easy and desperately hoped things with the twins would turn out differently. Well, she doesn’t know what she’s missing then, Drin offered with a smile, changing the sore subject for Farina’s sake before it could escalate any further. The Vald was curious if she had her eyes set on one of the paths, her presence at the borders already speaking towards something.

Hmmm...that sounds like a great idea, the siamese fae agreed. She could see Farina fitting in with the Vald as well, but if the girl had her heart set on fighting, Araedi was the path to go. We could use more warriors within the ranks, and this is the best place to start, the borders. An Araedi’s and Vald’s first duty is to protect the pack and our home. If you become a familiar face on patrol, you’ll no longer be blending in, you’ll be at the forefront of our defense. Palaydrian smiled, happy to learn the Hollr wanted to give her physical prowess to Vinatta. I can hold my own in a fight--could probably teach you a few things, but Bran and Shiloh would be your best sources for any weapons training. Let’s focus on patrol though for today, Drin suggested, ready to mentor the female if she’d have her or at least offer some guidance.

Table by Shannon <3.

X-tian
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 am

Farina could not help but wonder what Vinátta had done or what they signified to stir such sudden and unnecessary conflicts with the outside world. First Ironside, which had never seemed anything less than unnecessary (and left a nasty scar on the girl's shoulder), and now problems surrounding Runi and Carya. Had the pack not the warriors it needed? Did they not scout enough? Did they appear weak and formidable to outsiders?

Yet, short-tempered as she was Farina took a breath and tried to maintain her demeanor. "No, we can't. And I will be training to make sure of it." Then, thinking a moment she added, "Do you think we're being targeted?"

With eyes and ears intent Farina absorbed every word Palaydrian spoke of what would become her duties, and nodded thoughtfully when prompted. "You could teach me?" she asked with certain excitement, only to be told to focus on scouting. Discouraged, she walked quiet with Palaydrian for a time, dark eyes somewhat begrudging as she searched for sign of intruders, when naturally none came. Why bother scouting when enemies would know to hide themselves?

"Patrol is boring," she said finally, folding her arms. "I'd rather you teach me how to fight."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 pm

the angel opens her eyes

:: Optime :: +433

Palaydrian’s thoughts mirrored the dark furred girl. She wasn’t sure what had drawn in the evil souls to attack her packmates. Was Vinatta seen as too weak to defend it’s members? Was there some loose link the Vald was completely missing? Whatever the case, the siamese wolf was sure Saul would feel grateful one of the grown up Aeska was taking the role of Araedi into consideration. They needed more able bodied canines overseeing the patrol and providing defense against the more unsavory characters roaming the outside territories. Drin could have gone the warrior route herself, but violence wasn’t something that truly appealed to her. Killing was a necessary part of her job description, but the reason behind it had a higher gain her selfless soul was originally called to. A huntress and provider for her packmates, the Vald worked in tandem with the Araedi, putting their skills of tracking and physical endurance to the test against intruders if need be.

I’m not sure, she admitted with a sigh, eyes flicking towards the unmarked lands beyond their borders, but I haven’t had a chance to question either Carya or Runi. I have gut feeling these attacks are random though, isolated events that happened because our packmates were simply...in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it had been an organized threat like the Ironside had been, wouldn’t they have picked up a trail somewhere or perhaps found some kind of clue? It all vexed the watchful Vald, but she put her frustrations behind her and focused on passing on vital information to the hopeful Hollr.

A knowing laugh escaped her toothy grin at Farina’s honest statement. It can be boring, but that doesn’t take away from it’s very real importance, she started to explain. If we don’t properly mark the boundaries of our territory, unwanted predators of canine and non canine variety could slip through. They were nearing fading scent marker when the Vald’s eyes spotted unnatural disturbance in the underbrush, claw marks at the base of a tree. This doesn’t belong here, she said, crouching down and pointing out the weeping sap of the tree where the deep furrows had been made.

Her paw pads gently brushed away leaves from around the base of the tree, uncovering a partial print in the dirt. Recognition flashed over her eyes before her head cocked towards Farina. We’ve got a wolverine to hunt down, she stated with a grin.

Table by Shannon <3.

X-tian
the fallen angel
OF BEAUTIFUL DISASTER
spreads her wings
and FLIES

POSTED: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Palaydrian's explanation of the attacks put the wolfdog somewhat at ease, although she believed no such action was ever without some reason. Perhaps it was coincidence, but if it wasn't, who would be next? Andira? Auguste? Even her sister, faraway in New Dawn, unable to contact them comfortably if something happened? A shudder ran the wofldog's spine and her lips twitched. She would not let that happen.

The Rikr explained further the importance of scouting, all of which entered the Hollr's ears but did not dawdle. It would be impossible for Runi and Carya's attackers to be part of their pack without those like Palaydrian and the leaders knowing. Why were they not scouting the outer lands, following scents, questioning neighboring packs? She knew it would become a stupid question, however, and voiced nothing.

Farina's ears flicked to attention as Palaydrian found marks out of place. Fur bristling, the wolfdog glanced from side to side, expecting attackers to jump on them at any second. Runi's attackers, Carya's attackers. She could take them.

We've got a wolverine to hunt. "What?" she whined, disappointed, and followed the Vikr slowly and begrudgingly. "A wolverine? Is that it?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

Dead Topics