She's gotta get away for a while

Attn: Zynnie zyn zyn

POSTED: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 pm

OOC :: Optime | Bluebird companion Ajax present, with inventory items bow and arrows | Entering the border of Sangi'lak | Mid-morning

She never thought she could be so extremely happy by looking at a tree. Yet, at that moment, she was in fact extremely happy while looking at a tree.

It wasn't any old tree. It was her tree. The exact tree she had stood beneath while she rang out her call to be heard, the first memories of Sangi'lak had been created right beneath its branches. And she was running towards it. Lyris had been away for too long. A near month of traveling had sapped all of her strength and energy, and she wanted nothing more than to curl up in her den and take a long, hard nap... and that's what she planned to do. All that she needed to do was cross that border, and she would be home-free.

She couldn't help herself- the moment the towering evergreen, with its unnaturally twisted branches and bright pine needles came into view, she fell to all fours and ran. The bow slung across her chest stayed snug, while the quiver rhythmically bounced along the small of her back. Ajax the bluebird flapped his bright wings harder, skimming through the sky just a meter or so ahead of Lyris, in his usual place. Through her journeys the girl had grown, both mentally and physically. She had learned to forge her weapon of choice, and had done just this. She had found a companion to share her travels with, and she had been able to find each pack and call it by name. She met many wolves in the process, some sour and some sweet, a few even teaching her valuable skills, such as a few elements of literature and a way to craft new and glorious things. She's made friends and made enemies. Not only this, but she had honed herself. When she had left, she had been a long, skinny, small girl. But she came back a lean, grown, educated woman. Her arms and legs were clearly more filled out, forced into shape through the difficult travels. But now, she could finally rest. Finally, finally rest...

The pine grew larger, and with it, so did her excitement. Heart beating out of her chest, the white girl ran fast, hands and feet flooring against the earth, leaving floating grasses and leaves in her wake. Even Ajax had to struggle to keep up, and had fallen a few feet behind his usual place in front. In seconds she had dashed beneath the cool shadow of the monstrous tree, and it took only heartbeats more for her to leap over the scent line and plunge into the territory. She couldn't contain the laugh of relief that rolled from her tongue. She didn't stop running though- she ran even longer, where once her legs would have been weak and insignificant, she felt like she could run for miles more. She raced until the long winding river of Miki'Aliqua parted the trees. In an ecstatic lunge, the Esteemed splashed into the freezing water, waves rolling away from her body in the sudden disturbance. Ajax twittered and swooped to perch on a nearby tree branch, squawking in irritation that she had gotten his bluebird feathers wet. Before wading further, the girl slid off her bow and quiver of arrows, setting them on the bank. And then, she turned around and dove deep into the stream, bubbles flying to the surface from her nose. Oh, yes. How long have I been wanting to do this.... She thought, stroking deeper under the water. The cold bit at her toes and bluntly gripped her muzzle, but she didn't care. This was refreshing, and just what her sore body needed.

Word Count :: 612
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 am

ooc:

How the Shepard had chosen to engage herself that day was fairly different than what she was used to. It was spent out by the barn, but not to look at the stock...or rather not all of them. Just one beast in particular. Over the course of a few weeks, the Shepard noticed something interesting taking over her pack like a fad. This fascination with the beasts of burden. Not to work but to ride and make friendly with them. This trade was no different in her eyes than adopting fodder like family and friends. And yet this did not stop her brethren, it seemed. Especially Sequoia who had taken a liking to one of them.

And so to better understand, X'yrin attempted to converse with the animal, starting first with low tones until his ears twitched with something graspable, then eased into a comprehensible stream of word and sound. But the damn thing would not answer her. He simply trotted around looking anxious and misplaced. She tried to ease him with gentle tones in the hopes that large black hooves would not come up against her and force her to be...defensive. But sensing her true nature, the animal simply waltz around drawing further away from the female until he was a good length away. "Oh fine..." she huffed, literally throwing her hands up in defeat. "Stand and graze." She hadn't the patience to deal with the animal. She did however not mind tending to the sheep, letting them free from their pens to graze in the open field. Eventually she herded them towards the Miku river that they might have a fresh drink before returning to their graze. Though her back was turned she could sense the presence of the horse stalking closely toward her. He would not speak, nor did the female speak to him, but he was quite intention on taking a bold step forward to nibble on her lengthy unbound tresses. She was still frustrated with the animal, but did not let his bothering affect her with an ill manner as she tended to the flock. If he wanted to nibble, then he could nibble. But eventually he would have to speak.

Ushering the herd on, they came toward their destination. Too used to the practice to be at a loss, they immediately galloped over to the banks of the river to drink. They had only just touched their little black mouths to the surface before they bleeted in unison. They voices clashing together rang of danger in their midst, something lurking within the water. A monster...but there was no such thing. Only the snowy body of a female making the river her private pool. "Lyris!" the Alpha exclaimed and nearly leapt into the waters themselves had it not been for the horse restraining her by the hair. "My young one, where have you been!? Have you the slightest idea how the moon has changed!" Her effects of scolding were comically downplayed as the horse continued to pull at her mane. "It has been near a full turn!"

512 words.

Zyn
Luperci SoSuWriMo 2012 Champion!
Femme d'automne

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 pm

OOC ::

Frozen to the bone but enjoying every waking moment of it, Lyris submerged herself even deeper into the river. The water was crystal-clear, as it always was in the winter months, and the girl could see clear to the sandy bottom. With a push of her hindlegs, the Esteemed stretched her arms forward, the palms of her hands just brushing the bottom of the stream. Flipping herself around the girl shoved herself off the sandy, muddy riverbed, white body shooting through the water as a white torpedo with the extra leverage she had been given. Her nose broke the surface and she flew up to her torso from the water, before splashing back down to regular floating height. A laugh escaped her as her long silver hair decided to flip up and over her face. Pushing it to the side with slender fingers, Lyris wringed out as much moisture as she could. Before she could dive again, a snort caught her attention. Whirling around, little rings moved out from her body as she disturbed the water even more. A bright splash of autumn swam into her vision, a color that she had missed seeing very much.

"X'yrin!" She yipped like a puppy, stroking to the bank like a fish. Heaving herself from the stream, the young one stood up, soaking wet. Falling to quad she sent a vibration down her spine, shaking her whole body and flinging away most of the clinging moisture, not bothering to realize her alpha was standing close enough to get splattered with the liquid. Returning to two legs, the Optime examined her Shepard. Clearly, she was not exactly a horse whisperer, as it seemed it was the horse whispering to her, with its nose stuck into her long ruby locks. It took all of her will to keep a straight face as she was scolded. After the woman had stopped spewing words, the girl calmly stepped forward. Setting a hand on the horses halter, she muttered a few soft words and urged it away. The steed grudgingly returned to the stream, dipping his long neck to drink and relieving X'yrin of the horse's hair-chewing. Now she could take her more seriously.

Giving her superior a soft smile, she nodded in first respect and acknowledgment before choosing to speak again." I'm sorry to worry you, my Shepard. I was out exploring Nova Scotia, as I'm still very new here." She paused, before continuing again. "It's a very fine place. I found some friends, and even forged myself some... weaponry." She nodded to the white-wood bow and arrows that lay on the opposite bank, before gifting the autumn woman with a sheepish smile. "They're not the finest... and probably won't work for long, as I'm not quite the craftsman. But they're a start, I suppose." She finished, flicking her tail and letting it sway behind her. "I see you've been looking after the animals?" She asked, noting the many meandering sheep and the hungry-for-hair horse that had abandoned the river and was now grazing along the frost-stiff grass. Guess they don't call ya Shepard for nothing she almost cracked, but thought better of it.

Word Count :: 527
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm

ooc:

The effect of her scolding had been substantially lessened by the conduct of the horse, however her dignity was not completely forfeit as she was relieved by the young Evan'ule. Now better able to look at the youth, she smiled down at the girl fondly noting with pride how well her travels had been to her. She was but a scrawny things before, she returned a fairly toned specimen. Streamlined and lithe; the epitome of the form of the swift and able Evan'ule. Truly the Ancestors had guided her steps well to aid in this creation, and for that the Shepard could have fault her snowy Nomad for wandering far, far from home. She was only glad she had returned.

When mentioned, she peered over to the opposite bank to the items that on its frost laden surface. Upon seeing the blue feathers that adorned the ends of the arrows, she then acknowledged the small brightly colored bird within their vicinity. Her 'friend' she imagined. Another trait of the Evan'ule grasped and harnessed as her own. The Shepard was truly proud and could hardly contain herself as she swept her arms out and gathered the drenched girl into her chest. This must have been what it felt like to be a parent proud of their pup's accomplishments, she thought whilst her tag waved merrily. She whined happily as she drew Lyris further in then carefully stepped back to give the growing girl a chance to breathe.

"Oh Lyris..." she woman sighed fondly. "You have grown beautifully over your time here. I cannot express how proud I am to see you flourish on this path you have chosen. It would do our Family proud to see your skills exhibited, to better recognize your place among us as an Evan'ule of Sangi'lak."

300 words.

Zyn
Femme d'automne

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Lyris moved her eyes from the wandering sheep to see a wall of auburn red coming towards her. Oh dear. She had only a second to brace herself before she was engulfed in long wild hair and strong arms. It wasn't an unpleasant feeling, besides the air being crushed from her chest. It was warm and endearing, the first show of affection she had been shown for a long time... While hidden in her alpha and mentor's arms Lyris closed her eyes, a small smile fitted onto her muzzle. For X'yrin to be proud was something she hadn't realized she had wanted. The embrace was over almost too soon, thought not to say that she was glad to get a gulp of air in sideways. The girl took half a step back so that she could look at her Shepard fully.

She was about to speak when a bullet of blue shot past her. Assuming incorrectly that Lyris was in peril, Ajax had taken it upon himself to attack the assaulter, which in this case, was X'yrin. The little bird perched himself on the woman's head and continued in pecking at her ears and hair, probably not doing much pain but creating enough pinching to annoy the leader. "Ajax, quit that!" The bird gave her a look, though he continued to poke furiously at the auburn female. Exasperated, she spoke a simple word of low speech, one of the few that she had learned from X'yrin. She had been practicing through her journey. 'Stop' Instantly the bluebird raised his head, giving her a look, before ruffling his feathers and flitting over to settle on her shoulder. Her evergreen eyes turned to his dark ones, and she tried to convey a scolding through a glare alone, though knew that it wouldn't be very successful. Returning her attention to the victim of the songbird's pecking, Lyris spoke. "Sorry... he's not exactly docile." She gave a half-smile. "... but thank you. I hope I can do even more, starting with learning how to use that thing..." Giving a small, nearly nonexistent sigh, the white girl looked over her shoulder to the projectile weapons that lay glittering in the sun, still slightly wet with water. Luckily the delicate bluebird fletching of her arrows had been preserved.

The Esteemed returned her eyes to the sleek stallion that had now meandered into the group of sheep, causing the wooly creatures to baa-a in discomfort and shuffle away from his sharp hooves. "Have you met all the horses?" The young one asked, returning her eyes to those of her superior curiously. Lyris hadn’t seen X’yrin among the creatures of the barn very often, and wondered why the change of heart. Not that she didn’t care for the animals… it just seemed like she was trying to do something more. It did seem that after Lyris had first let the horses from the barn and given the Gypsy Vanner a name in secret, a few more of her pack mates had suddenly grown an interest in the creatures, though she was sure nobody had seen her…. right?

Word Count :: 520
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:30 pm

ooc:

The peppering the assaulted her poor head after her 'attack' on Lyris was...unexpected to say the least. As if it were a day for the animals to be rebellious against her, X'yrin found herself as a victim to their chewing and now poking. The female tilted her head back slightly as it to look for the bird, but more in a harmless effort to toss him off. But he clung and went on poking her until a word from his handler. Her brows perked as she looked at the young wolfess with tail again fanning proudly. She dismissed the apology with a subtle flick of her ear, not minding the little thing's actions at all. Her head and ears had become too used to being things of amusement for her owl companion when he first came to her.

X'yrin shared a glance with the young Evan'ule as she again looked to her weapons. "If you need assistance, why not speak with Jaden," she suggested, knowing the male would have been glad to help. She looked to the weapons absently before being guided around by the startled sounds of the grazing flock. Her eyes met the taunting orbs of the approaching stallion now wanting to be a part of the conversation. Visibly her face turned with tread.

"I have not," she replied blandly as if mention of the hoofed beasts sapped her excitement. "There was a time when I had taken an interest," she explained. "When my first mate had a large beast of his own. Seeing as how the Family has taken an interest in these animals, I thought I might try to reclaim that interest." The heavy beast stepped forward then, parting the sea of sheep and lambs and butt his head lightly against the Alpha's breast...and then continue to push against her. Defiantly, she grabbed his muzzle and began to push back though straining in the process. "But by the look of it, they are only good for trading and eating!"

333 words.

Zyn
Femme d'automne

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Lyris still felt shame for the little bird's actions, but she also could not help but feel warmth, too. The only reason her bluebird had swooped and attempted to attack was because he was trying to protect her. She turned her dark eyes on those of Ajax, giving him a look of gratitude even though he had been misled. He had meant well, and that deserved praise, though he would also have to learn how to survey the situation more fully before leaping to her aid. Or, more, flying there….

At the woman’s question and suggestion, Lyris perked her ears, tipping her head a minuscule amount. Did Jaden dabble in the art of archery? This she had not known. She would indeed have to question the man of it, as she needed all the help she could get. The girl had tried a rare few times during her travels, and that was not until long after she had been carrying the weapons. Her logic had been why carry something around if it looked useless and was useless at the moment? She had vowed to try any chance she got to pull back that flax vine string and let her arrows fly, though she wanted to make sure nobody was nearby, for the fear of injury of her comrades, which was more than likely to happen. The few times she had attempted it, directing the sharp stone tip towards a tree or some other inanimate object, it had been a bit off course, and not flown far is it took much arm strength to pull back the taught vine.

All negative thoughts of her failed attempt at archery aside, the girl’s dark evergreen gaze turned toward the black Murgese that had decided to irritate the already flustered X’yrin further, thrusting his nose at her chest and pushing her back a ways. The alpha tried to shove back, though only succeeded in slightly slowing the steed’s movements. It was all the esteemed could do to suppress a laugh, an instead settled for a grin. She took a few strides toward the scene, taking it that her superior had thoroughly failed in trying to regain the interest in the equines. Lyris herself was not very educated, but she seemed to be a tad more so than the autumn woman. “I just think that he likes you.” She commented, running a hand over the black stallion’s shoulder. The muscles beneath her hand twitched as he continued to push the leader forward. Ajax then promptly flew from her shoulder and settled himself in the horse’s black mane, apparently seeing it as a suitable nesting area. The Murgese stopped, rolling his eyes up and snorting in irritation at the bird who had taken residence in his hair. Trying and failing to refrain a laugh, the hearty sound burst from between her clenched teeth, giving it an odd sort of gravely sound. The white girl pulled up to stand next to her flustered alpha, still trying to regain her composure. “Well. All hope is not lost. I just think that this particular stallion is somewhat…. trouble making.” She offered, noting that the equine was particularly pushy and curious, and seemed to enjoy irritating the autumn wolfess. “I assure you, the others are not so pushy.”

Word Count :: 550
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 pm

ooc:

The last thing the Alpha wanted from a beast of burden was for it to be trouble-making, yet she could not deny the animal had a personality. Even if it was clashing rather heavily with her own. Why any would find these beasts worth the patience in taming was beyond her. But then...such was her attitude toward most things she did not want to take the time to understand. fault on her part and not one she was readily willing to admit either. But for the sake of remaining as an example...though a comical one, she tried to maintain her composure and eventually ceased her counter action against the large muzzle.

Feeling the pressure recede, the nameless horse stopped as well and took to standing before her with large eyes unblinking. His nostrils flared with the exhale of his breath then raised when his nose came forward to poke the Shepard's own. Beneath her golden fur, she felt her skin crawl. The intimate touch of the animal setting off more warnings of the violation of nature than she was willing to endure for more than her due time. "Not as pushy, you say?" She referred of course to the other horses, the two other males and Asgeir's mated own. X'yrin remained still as the male further lifted his nose and let it rest atop the female's crown. Oh...he was a bold one.

"At the risk of being mocked further by this breed," she muttered while raised a soft hand to the steed's throat. "I think I will pass on attempting their favor. Unless they are willing to speak...unlike this one here." The male then jerked and knocked his nose roughly against the female's head, not quite to put her out but more to acknowledge that he was the taller of this odd pair. As if the point was not made as obvious by their stature. "Even Asgeir's pair was not this difficult... He clearly understands our voices but just...does not want to speak in turn. It makes for a difficult bond of understanding..."

343 words.

Zyn
Femme d'automne

POSTED: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Lyris watched the stallion continue to pester the woman, in ways of nudging and asserting dominance in strange ways, such as making her auburn crown a headrest. The girl did in fact wonder why the equine was being so difficult. Perhaps it did really like X'yrin, and wanted to be acquainted with her, but perhaps... it felt like it needed to prove itself to her in some way, and did so by showing that he was not afraid to push her around as he wished. Lyris found only mild amusement in the actions anymore, though she still had to refrain from breaking into a smile. The corners of her lips twitched as the horse snorted and scuffed his hooves, out-right telling the woman that he was over her... literally. At this, the girl couldn't help but grin, though she could see that her alphess was getting a slight irritated with the creature. "Well, as far as I know. I haven't met this boy yet... yet now I know he is not the one to choose if I want a ride." The Esteemed noted to herself, knowing that he would undoubtedly pull the reins whichever way he wanted instead of obeying the rider's wishes. It would take a true horse trainer to train him into discipline... Lyris could only do so much as to lead him away from trouble, though she knew he would come right back and do it again when her back was turned. Perhaps she would present the nameless horse to Sequoia... she did seem to have a way with the horses, and connect with them better than most. If anybody could do it, she may.

Seeing it time for the shenanigans to end, Lyris stepped up to the black horse. Setting both hands on either side of his face, she pulled his nose down from her superior's head, locking eyes. This was her show of dominance- she was higher, and was not afraid to meet his gaze. The horse stared right back for a while, before throwing his head from her hands and huffing. "Horses are proud creatures. They carry the weight of another on their back, and sometimes think that they are higher, just because they have more powerful legs." She said, stroking the black Murgese down the nose, now that he had finally settled down. "You just need to have patience. It isn't an easy thing, but your patience will reward you with a mighty companion if you succeed." Crouching down, the girl plucked up a handful of grass and offered it to the stallion. The equine eyed her for a moment and was hesitant. The whole time Lyris's eyes never left his, and finally, he consented, swiping the grass from her palm and munching down on it. Afterwards, the horse's eye returned to the bright color of X'yrin, eyeing her again. Lyris turned to face her superior, seeing if she would understand. Alas, maybe she was just talking nonsense... sometimes she spoke in ways that most did not understand, but what made perfect sense to her. She was odd like that. Perhaps her Shepard thought the same…

Word Count :: 524
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

ooc:

The words of the youth were heeded, taking on a tone that expressed her mental growth and understanding over the past month of her absence. It was an impressive to witness when compared to how Lyris first came to their lands. Aimless but with immense potential that had undoubtedly been taken and developed right before her eyes. Truly, the Shepard was proud of what she beheld.

"Perhaps you are right," she admitted with only humility in her voice. The tone of a pupil conceding to the teachings a master. "Though I cannot say I sympathize with the mentality of the horse." She was clearly born a predator afterall that needn't exact some right in a wayward manner to make certain the world knew she was not one to be trifled with. As with all creatures with fangs and claws, the threat was in their appearance, and thus pride followed. Perhaps it was more for the steed than that; knowing it would forever remain prey to another yet fought for some manner of recognition to its strength. The epitome of defiance personified wanting only to be seen as what it was. Soundly, the she-wolf breathed, holding the eye of the beast as it turned to her. The black steed inched forward again, this time only with an extend of his muzzle and pressed it lightly against the delicately curled hand of the Shepard. His lips rolling sloppily as her searched for food yet found nothing in her grasp, then raised his mighty head and let it rest atop the female's own.

"...oh fine." X'yrin growled in a subdued manner then raised her hand to pat the brute on the muzzle. From the corner of her eye she looked to Lyris with silent expectation that this moment never be spoken of to their Family. "Come with me, pup," she called to the girl endearingly. "There are sheep to mind and a horse to feed before the afternoon is done." And perhaps during their shared time together, she could learn a little more about her perspectives on the animals, as well as whatever else her aspiring pupil had learned on her adventure.

359 words.

Zyn
Femme d'automne

Dead Topics