Re: Help with skills and skill levels!

POSTED: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

@ Knives,

Whichever knife you chose, I would probably guess that if you chose a Stiletto that has a curved guard, it will not be good for throwing, as it is not very aerodynamic x3

Also, be sure to differentiate if this knife you plan to use is to be a, literal, throwing knife, or, merely, a knife that Seraphina occasionally throws, but is mainly used as what is intended for x3 I know you mentioned specific names for what types you're looking into, however, since throwing knives are actually a type of knife style, you might want to rephrase it as "knife throwing" (so it's more clear that it's an action vs. a noun).

=================================

@ Staff,

A staff can also hold up better for defending oneself if the enemy gets too close too! Kiri already covered the collapsible part. (Also, yikes, better be prepared if you search "whip with spikes" xD BDSM to follow) I think that was a typo on your part, but, yes, a spear is basically a staff with a bladed end xD

As for how she could carry it around, she would likely just use it kind of as an impromptu walking stick kind of thing if she was not moving at a fast clip? Otherwise, I'm sure you could say that she figured out a way to jerry-rig it to her back somehow? xD Not the most efficient/effective way, perhaps, but, a way nonetheless to make her hands free. Something to consider with this too though, she'd have to mind the clearance of the weapon when passing underneath something!

@ Unarmed combat,

Yeah, most times, when people think "kickboxing" they think of the sport, nothing like Muay Thai (which is more martial-art like) xD Still, I would recommend not calling the fighting style outright when dealing with Luperci. Simply leave it as the descriptors for the fighting style and leave it at that x3 Luperci likely wouldn't know (correct me, 'SA, if I'm wrong) the actual names, techniques, and disciplines that are human-developed martial arts. However, they may very well come up with fighting styles that are similar to the human ones? If you must name or call out a specific martial art, I'd recommend wording it as "SIMILAR to Aikido" versus "this IS Aikido."

Kiri made another good point too to make sure that Seraphina's skill level is on par with her experience at her age. Teagan can still be bested in her close-combat skill, and she started learning and training from when she could shift. If you decide to keep this skill, be sure to make sure, as Kiri advised, to keep Seraphina's skill level realistic! She'll lose sometimes! She'll have something/one get the better of her! She'll make mistakes! These are part of what make a character grow! As well, keep fighting/spar threads enjoyable for everyone!

I wasn't saying that there was anything wrong with including the other skills, just that, perhaps, think about them, and make sure you're not giving Seraphina too many skills (to prevent making her too talented in too many things) x3 Giver her some things that she doesn't know! That way, it'll give you something fun to roleplay or have her develop if/when you bring her on-board! :3

Kyrios Lykoi wrote:
Avinalora Pheonix wrote:she is mostly proficient in some degree with combat-related skills

The point we're trying to make is that "combat-related skills" is super, super broad and that being proficient in one thing doesn't necessarily mean proficiency in a similar, related thing.

^^^ What Kiri said, in a nutshell! Again, using Teagan due to their similarities, Teagan is good "with combat-related skills" too, however, she is only proficient in a couple of things (swords, unarmed combat). Yes, she knows how to use these other combat-related things, but, are her skills good enough to be, truly, noteworthy? No.

These are all stuff to think about when loading a character up with their skill tree! If you want to prevent overloading (and thus, overpowering) your character, find the main things that you want them to have, and, of that, what that you want them to have MOST. Use the suggestion I made previously regarding age and the amount of "proficient" skills to give the character. She's still young, and likely not one to just stop learning combat-related stuff if that's her passion. Turn some of those "proficient" skills into something she has yet to perfect or get into. This will help with character development (gives you, the player, something to actively work towards and gives you thread ideas to do!), as well, help keep Seraphina on a more realistic learning track!
Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Asura Creo wrote:Whichever knife you chose, I would probably guess that if you chose a Stiletto that has a curved guard, it will not be good for throwing, as it is not very aerodynamic x3

Also, be sure to differentiate if this knife you plan to use is to be a, literal, throwing knife, or, merely, a knife that Seraphina occasionally throws, but is mainly used as what is intended for x3 I know you mentioned specific names for what types you're looking into, however, since throwing knives are actually a type of knife style, you might want to rephrase it as "knife throwing" (so it's more clear that it's an action vs. a noun).

I'll probably go with something like a Kindjal or a Stiletto without a curved guard? Also, I'm not sure if Seraphina can use both throwing knives and her regular knives or if that would be too overpowered, though I would most likely go with a Kunai or have her occasionally throwing her knife.

A staff can also hold up better for defending oneself if the enemy gets too close too! Kiri already covered the collapsible part. (Also, yikes, better be prepared if you search "whip with spikes" xD BDSM to follow) I think that was a typo on your part, but, yes, a spear is basically a staff with a bladed end xD

As for how she could carry it around, she would likely just use it kind of as an impromptu walking stick kind of thing if she was not moving at a fast clip? Otherwise, I'm sure you could say that she figured out a way to jerry-rig it to her back somehow? xD Not the most efficient/effective way, perhaps, but, a way nonetheless to make her hands free. Something to consider with this too though, she'd have to mind the clearance of the weapon when passing underneath something!

Okay, that was probably a huge typo, sorry! Her staff would be similar or exactly like the one the character she is based off of, Isabelle Lightwood uses in this scene and she would use it similarly to how Izzy uses it in that scene. Or how Laurel Lance uses her staff in these scenes since Laurel was rather new to staff fighting so her blows lacked the finesse. Most likely, she'll probably use it as a walking stick or rig it to her back. And I'm not sure if it's actually a spear since she probably doesn't throw it? And the staff I'm basing her weapon off of doesn't have the weighted end it would need to be thrown.

Asura Creo wrote:Yeah, most times, when people think "kickboxing" they think of the sport, nothing like Muay Thai (which is more martial-art like) xD Still, I would recommend not calling the fighting style outright when dealing with Luperci. Simply leave it as the descriptors for the fighting style and leave it at that x3 Luperci likely wouldn't know (correct me, 'SA, if I'm wrong) the actual names, techniques, and disciplines that are human-developed martial arts. However, they may very well come up with fighting styles that are similar to the human ones? If you must name or call out a specific martial art, I'd recommend wording it as "SIMILAR to Aikido" versus "this IS Aikido."

Yeah, Seraphina's style won't be full Aikido and will only incorporate certain throws and holds as well as some similar techniques. She won't know the name of the martial art that she's using and I will only describe the move but not actually use the name.

Asura Creo wrote:Kiri made another good point too to make sure that Seraphina's skill level is on par with her experience at her age. Teagan can still be bested in her close-combat skill, and she started learning and training from when she could shift. If you decide to keep this skill, be sure to make sure, as Kiri advised, to keep Seraphina's skill level realistic! She'll lose sometimes! She'll have something/one get the better of her! She'll make mistakes! These are part of what make a character grow! As well, keep fighting/spar threads enjoyable for everyone!

I wasn't saying that there was anything wrong with including the other skills, just that, perhaps, think about them, and make sure you're not giving Seraphina too many skills (to prevent making her too talented in too many things) x3 Giver her some things that she doesn't know! That way, it'll give you something fun to roleplay or have her develop if/when you bring her on-board! :3

Okay! I do think that Seraphina would be weakest without a weapon and will reflect that in any fights or spars she gets into. I'm still debating whether or not I should really take out the hunting part since I'd imagine she would have little to no ability to hunt since she probably hasn't had any experience since she hasn't had to hunt for herself most likely, which wouldn't have needed to hunt. I'm also looking forward to her being like a fish out of water in 'Souls since she isn't used to being outside of The City of Bones and not knowing all of the customs of the 'Souls people, lol. Also, she is weaker in more domestic skills and basically most things outside of skills she needed for missions and since she's not running missions anymore, she does need to develop more skills that aren't fighting. So she could learn more about drawing and tailoring or learn new skills like hunting.

Asura Creo wrote:These are all stuff to think about when loading a character up with their skill tree! If you want to prevent overloading (and thus, overpowering) your character, find the main things that you want them to have, and, of that, what that you want them to have MOST. Use the suggestion I made previously regarding age and the amount of "proficient" skills to give the character. She's still young, and likely not one to just stop learning combat-related stuff if that's her passion. Turn some of those "proficient" skills into something she has yet to perfect or get into. This will help with character development (gives you, the player, something to actively work towards and gives you thread ideas to do!), as well, help keep Seraphina on a more realistic learning track!

I've tried to lower the skills to ones she would need (fighting, stealth, manipulation, agility, and first aid) and gave her two extra skills which would be hobbies or what she also needed that wasn't essential in the case of drawing and tailoring. She does have a the ability to ride a horse though Scylla was trained by someone else and is easily ridden, so I'm not sure if you could consider it a skill though it is a skill she could expand on, too. She also could use more training and I might possibly lower her skill level in knife fighting as she would mainly fall back upon her staff if she needed to fight someone and not kill someone if that makes sense? And she won't be perfect at any of her combat skills but thinks she is, I think.

Silverfrost

POSTED: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I'll probably go with something like a Kindjal or a Stiletto without a curved guard? Also, I'm not sure if Seraphina can use both throwing knives and her regular knives or if that would be too overpowered, though I would most likely go with a Kunai or have her occasionally throwing her knife.

This makes it really confusing to figure out what you're wanting to do lol.

Also consider: you really don't need to list every single thing a character can possibly do. Doing so can very easily make a character seem "overpowered," because that implies "if it's worth mentioning at all, they must be good at it to some degree."

This is probably case for most "related" skills in which a character has no direct training or specific proficiency.

For example, as an artist, it can be easily assumed that I am probably better at using charcoal than the average non-artist. But is that worth mentioning? I hate charcoal. I never use it. I never want to use it. There's no point in me listing "dabbler" of or even "competent" at charcoal on any list of skills ever, even if skill-wise, I could probably qualify as that.

A knife-wielding person is probably going to be better at using all knives than the average non-knife wielder or non-fighter, even the ones they've never touched before. Could they use [insert random knife type]? Sure. Are they "proficient" in every knife other than their primary? Probably not. So don't list it.

You can probably throw a stilletto knife to decent effect. There's really no need to go digging for other very specific types of throwing knives to add to the list. :v

Note about established martial arts' techniques: while Luperci could reasonably figure out what a knife is used for and develop techniques on their own, it would be a lot harder for specifics of human-developed martial arts to pass onto Luperci, since they would have very, very little to learn from. There are no videos for them to learn from, and books, in addition to being rare and fragile, would never be as effective for teaching practical techniques. It's like learning to dance from a book. Those flat visuals can only do so much.

Martial arts techniques developed over thousands of years -- Luperci aren't likely to magically re-develop them over 30 years. While many basics are probably easily discovered, I'd stray away from explicitly referencing very specific things.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

con schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Kyrios Lykoi wrote:Also consider: you really don't need to list every single thing a character can possibly do. Doing so can very easily make a character seem "overpowered," because that implies "if it's worth mentioning at all, they must be good at it to some degree."

This is probably case for most "related" skills in which a character has no direct training or specific proficiency.

Oh, that makes sense! Might clean up some other characters' skill sections to reflect that! I went ahead and removed the hunting part from Seraphina's wiki as well.

Kyrios Lykoi wrote:For example, as an artist, it can be easily assumed that I am probably better at using charcoal than the average non-artist. But is that worth mentioning? I hate charcoal. I never use it. I never want to use it. There's no point in me listing "dabbler" of or even "competent" at charcoal on any list of skills ever, even if skill-wise, I could probably qualify as that.

A knife-wielding person is probably going to be better at using all knives than the average non-knife wielder or non-fighter, even the ones they've never touched before. Could they use [insert random knife type]? Sure. Are they "proficient" in every knife other than their primary? Probably not. So don't list it.

I think I understand now! Would it be something like this?

So, for example, I've been using GIMP for roughly four or five years and I would consider myself proficient in it and the similar program Mediabang. I can use other art programs such as Sai, Photoshop, Kirta, Fireware Alpaca, and Iblis Paint because they have similar settings and tools though it's more difficult because even though they seem the same-though I could probably use it better than the average person or say, a classmate-I would still struggle because it's not what I'm used to and probably couldn't do something as well as I could on my normal programs?

It would be the same for someone who is used to a certain kind of knife such as a kindjal, they could possibly handle something like a xiphios (a similar kind of knife) but not as proficiently as they could with their normal knife. They could use it but not to its full potential?

Kyrios Lykoi wrote:You can probably throw a stilletto knife to decent effect. There's really no need to go digging for other very specific types of throwing knives to add to the list. :v

I might go with something like a Kindjal mixed with a Stiletto, though Seraphina would refer to it as her "stilettos" because I find that kind of funny for some weird reason. Or would that be too misleading if people think it's actually a stiletto knife?

Kyrios Lykoi wrote:Martial arts techniques developed over thousands of years -- Luperci aren't likely to magically re-develop them over 30 years. While many basics are probably easily discovered, I'd stray away from explicitly referencing very specific things.

I'll be sure to do that! Also, I am a bit rusty since I haven't done Aikido since the September of last year so I might be able to just describe the moves used but it won't be pure Aikido, just incorporating certain aspects such as the holds, grips, and throws.

Silverfrost

POSTED: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm

So, for example, I've been using GIMP for roughly four or five years and I would consider myself proficient in it and the similar program Mediabang. I can use other art programs such as Sai, Photoshop, Kirta, Fireware Alpaca, and Iblis Paint because they have similar settings and tools though it's more difficult because even though they seem the same-though I could probably use it better than the average person or say, a classmate-I would still struggle because it's not what I'm used to and probably couldn't do something as well as I could on my normal programs?

It would be the same for someone who is used to a certain kind of knife such as a kindjal, they could possibly handle something like a xiphios (a similar kind of knife) but not as proficiently as they could with their normal knife. They could use it but not to its full potential?

Pretty much!

Someone who's adept at using a kindjal might list that in their profile, but there's really no reason to mention the other knife. It can generally be inferred that a knife-user can use knives other than their favourite and not mentioning it specifically prevents the misinterpretation that the character is equally good at multiple, different knives.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

con schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help