Size help

Abby's confused

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Currently working out Cidro's height/weight and using the size chart on the RP guide as a reference. I think I went in a little too deep now though cause now I'm just confused. Maybe one of you guys could help me work it out?

Okay. So Cidro is half Mexican wolf, and half dog (25% Belgian Tervuren, 25% Black Mouth Cur Dog). He is considerably slender and willowy for his genetic makeup, but not particularly short. Maybe like a little below average height. I'll give you the average height and weight range for an adult male of each of his species before continuing.

Mexican Wolf

30-80 kg

60-90 cm

Belgian Tervuren

25-30 kg

60-66 cm

Black Mouth Cur

18-22 kg

45-63 cm

So initially what I was going to do was choose a weight somewhere near the bottom of each of the dog breed's scales, find the average, then add that to a weight low on the Mexican wolf scale and find the average of that. I'd do the same for the height (except a little closer to average), and then use the Wolf size chart on the RP Guide as a general guideline for the rest of his forms, keeping in mind that he'd be a little bit smaller because of his dog blood.

Initially, for his Lupus form, I worked out that he'd be around 26-28 kg and 67 cm. I'm having a hard time picturing it tbh and I don't know how proportional it'd be, but it was the best I could come up with. However, when I tried to use the size chart as a guide, I realized the imperial and metric systems weren't really aligned and now my poor Canadian head is confused. Not only that, but when I used online converters so I could see what he'd be in feet once he got to Optime form, he turned out to be smth like 6ft 2in which is too tall for him.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is if someone here with more experience could take my 26-28 kg 67 cm Lupus proportions and his willowy, slightly shorter than average description and translate that to Secui and Optime I'd be super super thankful. Or you could just tell me that those proportions are way off to begin with and help me make them more realistic.

Oof this is long, thanks if you read all the way through. In a way, it's actually kind of fun that I have to think through something as tedious as a character's size so much just because of the story's lore. I'm happy that 'Souls is as in-depth as it is, it shows that a lot of people put a lot of time and effort in it <3
Cidro Amato de la Peña
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Abby
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm horrible at metric but here's my stab at it (There's a 50% chance I'm wrong so I apologize in advance if this is incorrect)

So according to the size charts, a 67 cm Lupus would be between Normal and Small for wolves on the size chart and his height and his weight is in the tiny range for wolves. (Though when I converted it to inches and rounded the .378 I got 26 inches which is on the high range of small). Personally, I would beef that weight up a lil, though he could be underfed (I'd defer to someone else on that matter. It gets a but confusing when they're between ranges but it's workable. So I was following the small range for wolves, though you can always follow normal range as well.

His Secui form would be between those two ranges as well; so between 86 cm and 96.5 cm and between 50 kg and 63 kg. His Optime form would be probably be between 157.5 cm and 167.5 cm in height and 63.5 – 77 kg. (In standard his Optime height would be between 5 ft 2 in and 5 ft 6 in)

Also I typically just google "cm to inches" and use the converter google does since it seems like the easiest)
Casa di Cavalieri
Lionheart
Silverfrost
Luperci Healer; Groundskeeper The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw CdC Top Poster!
You've spent a life time stuck in silence
What I wanna save I will try

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks Silver! I won't lie, I'm still pretty confused, but you definitely helped a bit. I'm gonna try to go back through my math and work something out.
Cidro Amato de la Peña
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Abby
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:52 pm

I think Silver's explanation is pretty succinct already, but I'll share my method, too.

I usually work off optime height first, but since you started with lupus height, I'll extrapolate from there. If he's 67 cm tall at the shoulder, he'd be between "Small" and "Normal" on the wolf chart (because he's half Mexican wolf). Depending on how skinny Cidro is, I'd peg him as 30-32 kg in lupus form.

Then, I'd do some (probably unnecessary, potentially flawed) math to figure out what height/weight his other forms would be. The range between the shortest and tallest "Small" height is 7.5 cm for lupus and 10.5 cm for secui. I then divide the secui height by the lupus height, meaning that 1 lupus cm is worth 1.4 secui cm (which becomes 1 1/2 cm for simplicity's sake). Thus, at 67 cm in lupus, he'd be approximately 98 cm in secui form. Doing the same thing for his weight (1 lupus kg = 4.5 secui kg), Cidro would weigh 54.5-63.5 kg in secui form.

Lastly, for optime height/weight, I'd compare lupus and optime size. The range between the shortest and tallest "Small" height is 10 cm for optime. 10 cm divided by 7.5 cm (lupus range) is 1.3 cm. Again, for simplicity's sake, I'll consider that 1 1/2 cm instead. Thus, Cidro's height in optime form is 168 cm, or 66 inches, or 5'6. His weight, following the same process (1 lupus kg = 4.5 secui kg), would be 68-77 kg in optime form.

In case 5'6 is too short, I've done the math from 5'7-5'10 as well.

5'7
Lupus: 68 cm, 32.5-34.5 kg
Secui: 99.5 cm, 59-68 kg
Optime: 170 cm, 72.5-81.5 kg

5'8
Lupus: 69 cm, 35-37 kg
Secui: 101 cm, 63.5-72.5 kg
Optime: 173 cm, 77-86 kg

5'9
Lupus: 70 cm, 37.5-39.5 kg
Secui: 102.5 cm, 68-77 kg
Optime: 175 cm, 81.5-90.5 kg

5'10
Lupus: 71 cm, 40-42 kg
Secui: 104 cm, 72.5-81.5 kg
Optime: 178 cm, 86-95 kg

I have no idea if this is helpful, but it's how I figure out height/weight for my characters. c:
Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:58 pm

THIS WAS SO HELPFUL !!!! Alex you are an absolute gem <3

Seriously I can't thank you enough, you did the math way better than I could've. I can't believe you did all that work for me!! Thanks so much both of you! It's such a relief finally being able to put this in his wiki and relax.
Cidro Amato de la Peña
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Abby
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Thank you! I'm happy to help.

For future reference, when trying to figure out physique, I usually look up what's underweight/overweight for a comparably sized dog. For example, an adult male Alaskan Malamute tends to weigh between 36-43 kg. The AKC standards suggest that at 64 cm tall, they should weigh 39 kg. Using a canine BMI calculator as a rough guide, we can see that 5'6 Cidro in lupus form (67 cm, 30-32 kg) is potentially underweight. Thus, you could gradually increase his weight over time to show he's eating more and/or putting on muscle.
Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Alexander
Luperci

Questions & Help