Amputated Limbs and Prosthetics

i have more questions

POSTED: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm

I have seen several 'Souls characters with varying degrees of missing limbs so I understand that that in and of itself is a possibility for a character. Would a simple prosthetic be possible? I figure having prosthetic arms would be difficult as hands are a hard thing to reproduce feasibly within the 'Soulsverse for Luperci. But would simple prosthetic legs be okay? Probably only from the knee down as creating fake knees may be too hard for Luperci technology.

I'm imagining something like Hiccup's prosthetic leg from How To Train Your Dragon. More detailed pictures can be seen here.
there beneath the willow tree

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Aspen

POSTED: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Hiccup's prosthetic is probably a very challenging thing to make.

A peg-leg might be more possible but I'd also imagine that a character without a hind-leg might prefer to use a crutch in Optime or just be on 3 legs instead.
KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Player WikiCharacter Wiki
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Gen
Moderator Corsair II, Tinker II, Merchant I

† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave
◄taste, what a bittersweet►

POSTED: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:04 pm

That's understandable. Maybe some sort of metal and wood prosthetic could be made but not quite that detailed.

Or just a crutch of some kind!

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Aspen

POSTED: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:42 pm

I think it should be possible for a Luperci to make what is essentially a bent piece of metal. I'm less sure about how they'd attach the thing to the stump as I think a fitted "collar" around the stump would be very difficult to size correctly. I also don't really think they'd be able to make screw fittings, so having swappable legs, as suggested below, may not be possible, in hindsight.

As such, if the individual does shift regularly, it makes more sense to just use a crutch in Optime and go without the leg in Lupus.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine

event schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:16 am

As someone who knows nothing about prosthetics, maybe some sort of strap system might help? A cursory google search shows that some very, very old (like, 2,000+ year old) complex prosthetics (something that resembles a leg vs a peg leg) were theorized to be kept on with straps or waist belts connected to straps, and modern, harness attached and boot-like prosthetics are common for real three-legged dogs.
Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Alexander
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM) Luperci Carpenter Tier I 2020 SoSuWrimo Champ!
Vil di'vota

POSTED: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:40 am

Yeah, straps and harnesses could work, though I imagine that they'd need to be very secure, but belts and ropes can come lose if there's too much movement or they're not tightened improperly -- which could be something fun to explore ICly, tbh. Luperci aren't as dexterous as humans so anything extra fiddly would be hard for them to deal with, and it can also be difficult for a Lupus-form tripod to always depend on someone else to help them in and out of a harness.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine

event schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:58 am

Personally, I feel like an Optime with a harness of sorts with a pegleg/metal-ish prosthetic would find it easiest to go on three legs in Lupus form :0 I've read that animals like dogs and cats are able to adjust to having three legs just fine, I figure it wouldn't be much different for other canines!

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Aspen

POSTED: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:32 pm

Oh, agreed. There's plenty of evidence that quadruped animals are able to adjust to being a tripod pretty quickly.

But it can be different story if the individual in question prefers to spend most of their time in Optime form. They may feel going entirely hand-less in Lupus form to be as much a handicap as a prosthetic or harness.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine

event schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help