Re: Cross-Cultivation and Crop Viability post Humanity?

Despi Talks about Plants :I

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Ems wrote:hi, for the sugarbeets topic, id just like to point out they are grown in canada, via regular farmland :v
in alberta, which is zone 3b, and souls has a better zone then we do...
beets are actually a cold weather crop and are fairly hardy.

Well, I'm sure there are things I've missed based on a cursory glance at the wiki page, so I'm happy to be wrong on where sugar beets can be grown. That said, it looks like there were farms that grow regular beets in NS, but not sugar beets specifically, which are all in AB. This makes them unlikely to be found wild here, but on the up side, it seems like (white sugar) beets are generally wind pollinated, which makes them more likely to survive post-human given favourable weather conditions.

Though this could also be a case where being less specific is a good idea. Whatever can be made from sugar beets can probably be made from regular beets, and that they're less sugary may or may not be relevant depending on the product. And Luperci may or may not have as much of a sweet tooth as humans. There's a lot that can be fudged for storytelling purposes, depending on what the endgame here is.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Re: Sugar beets specifically, while there are sugar beet farms located within Canada and within the same general latitude line as New Brunswick/Nova Scotia, you also need to consider the availability of those crops. The sugar beet looks to have been grown in very far from-'Souls-playable areas according to a 2000 map (1, 2), so, it's likely safe to assume that those would have been smaller 12 years prior (when humans died out in 1988). As such, I agree with Kiri in that they would have to be imported into the area, and then you'd also need to probably define the "Why" would a Luperci go through the process of traveling so far from its viable, reliable source to do so.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kamari Kaiser

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
Moderator Luperci Sapienza, Vedetta Mate to Krios Royalty of a Fallen Kingdom
Seeker of Secrets
Amongst Shadows
Bearer of Masks

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Gotcha!

Sorry, I didn't intend for the topic to get so intensive, as I was more or less curious about the sort of nuance in regards to Luperci "farming" or cultivation of crops, and anything in regards to the specifics about it -

Partly why I was asking over information over whether we should expect that these vague-named plants should be more or less just kind of referenced as "hybrids", all things considered with those that do and can self-seed c:
Del Cenere Gang
Rey Salvaje
Despi
Luperci
⤜GodlesS→

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:03 pm

ICly, I don't think anyone would be knowledgable enough to call any plant a hybrid.

For simplicity's sake, I think it's easiest to assume that all wild plants are able to pollinate and reproduce naturally, including whatever's survived of human-made crops.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:07 pm

OH, I agree, and suppose I should've made it a little more evident that I had intended that hybrid 'referencing' be OOC for realism standards between players!

A luperci wouldn't know the difference between potatoes. They're all cronchy roots >:I
Del Cenere Gang
Rey Salvaje
Despi
Luperci
⤜GodlesS→

POSTED: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:13 pm

OOC-wise, if you want to choose a specific variety, as long as it's probable to have survived post-human (natural-pollinating, able to survive weather conditions & lack of irrigation) and can reasonably be grown locally, it's probably fine.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
av by me; sig by alaine
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help