A Made-Up Sickness

Questions/Discussion

POSTED: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 am

Basically, I had a plot idea, and it is centred around one thing: sickness.
But not a real sickness.

I checked the FAQ, and it said this "We welcome the utilization of real illnesses and diseases in roleplay".
But I also realise that Aniwaya had a big problem with an unspecified disease in 2013, which led them to move their packlands. That confused me a little.

Basically, can I create a major, infectious disease that is entirely made up, but also (loosely) based on several real diseases that can be carried by canines (specifically: Listeriosis, Brucellosis and Infectious canine hepatitis)?
It will also NOT be a long-term illness, and instead last for a couple of months at most. My brainstorms include a cure being found, too, although the actual cure may be unrealistic (ex. using an existing plant to rapidly heal the illness).

Also, if such a disease is allowed, are there any suggestions/advice about its design? For example: causes, symptoms, method of infection, long-term effects (if any/allowed), etc.? I've already brainstormed some ideas (ex. OMG character x is stuck in Lupus form!, plus some creepy stuff (bleeding from the eyes, sudden bouts of pain-filled howling often proceeded by seizures)), but first I needed to know what the rules do allow.

Finally (again, if the disease is allowed), I'm planning on giving the disease a Wiki page, similar in appearance to that of a member-made family or area, including a "request to play" function. Will this also be permitted? And are there any changes that I will have to make to the page as a result?

I understand that this is a long-ish set of questions, but I'd appreciate any replies. :)

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

POSTED: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Just wanted to note we're discussing this in the 'SA for ya. :3 Expect a response shortly!
Myrika Tears

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Okay! Sorry for the delay in this reponse. We did end up having a bit of a debate on the issue.

In general, we do typically encourage players to be vague on the subject of disease/illness if they're unwilling to research the topic in-depth. We recognize that illness can be a fun plot, but we still want to be as realistic as possible in its treatment -- players being vague about disease specifics gives everyone a bit more wiggle room.

AniWaya's unspecified disease allowed them to simply move because there was no realism breach in the idea that this disease wouldn't simply travel with them. Meanwhile, Esper Hollow ended up disbanding after its membership was largely infected with canine distemper -- something specific enough that there are numerous realism issues to contend with.

We are tentatively okay with the idea of a user-created disease. A final write-up of the disease details, symptoms, possible treatments, and other information would need to be submitted to the 'Souls Assemblage for approval prior to officliaizing it in any resource, including the Wiki.

Such a disease should still be very much based in realism. Overdramatic symptoms like "bleeding eyes" would probably be a no-go, unless accompanied by a reasonable (pseudo-)scientific explanation. We'd also like to note that we've, in the past, struck down illnesses directly affecting Luperci shifting capabilities -- that is, a disease should not objectively affect a Luperci's ability to shift -- though mental stressors and other factors may prevent an individual from shifting properly, or believing that they can't shift, even if they still technically have the ability to do so.

Remember also that it's highly unlikely for Luperci to be capable of quickly or effectively treating any major disease, which is the main reason we've not seen a lot of roleplay in this area. It takes a long time to test various treatments for effectiveness -- there'd need to be a large number of infected subjects to test on, and the Luperci testing the treatments need to not become infected themselves. Many treatments may see coincidental benefits and mislead purported medics, and overall, any given Luperci population is unlikely to have a large enough sample size to give significant results.

We hope that answers your questions! Let us know if there's something we missed!
Myrika Tears

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 am

Thanks for the reply, Sie! :> I really appreciate all the work you and the rest of the SA put into your answer.

I may try to be very specific about the disease, but since it'll take a lot of research to create, I'll probably bring up the plot I had in mind later on, at least until I've covered everything completely. :)

Thanks again!

・ ◎ ⦿ ⦿ ◎ ・

Current avatar by Gen!

Heart
Non-Luperci
Tell me to HIDE

Questions & Help