Luperci & Archaeology?

POSTED: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:01 am

would it be plausible for a Luperci to become an archaeologist and actually be able to come upon fossils?

TILL VAN ULRICH
'Cause we were always alone, We were born in the hunter's season
All I really ever wanted was for you to die in the arms of someone
Avvie by Jasmae@FA, signature image by Nina@SoulsRPG

Salsola
The Warden
J
Luperci Witch Mate to Helena and Calla
WINTER IS COMING

POSTED: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:35 am

Archaeology as I understand it would be the study of past cultures by finding and retrieving artifacts and things -- and that is certainly doable for a Luperci if you mean finding old human items and studying them/trying to infer how they lived by them. ;> They could dig up old human graves on accident, explore human ruins, and otherwise do basic "archaeology" there.

If you're thinking more along the lines of paleontology and digging up fossils and dinosaur bones and studying them -- a Luperci would have a much harder time there, unfortunately. Paleontology would require huge excavations and tools that Luperci don't have access to, so it wouldn't be possible for a Luperci to just start digging and find a huge thigh bone or something.

A tiny little fossil like an ammonite or leaves pressed in stone, that kind of thing, is something that a Luperci might be able to accidentally run across on occasion (or in a gift shop lololol) -- but I don't think they would automatically become interested in extinct mollusks and evolution and things like that. ;3 It's a bit far ahead of their thought processes and interests. Likewise, even if a Luperci magically came across a dinosaur fossil, I think they'd see it as art or evidence of a dragon or something rather than "Oh hey, dinosaurs are a thing."

So... Archaeology insofar as exploring human ruins, digging up human "artifacts" from the 80s, and inferring things about human culture (from a Luperci's experience/sometimes wrong guesses; remember human archaeologists were digging up human stuff and not a different species') -- yes, that is doable on a simplistic level probably! Digging up and dating fossils = no, probably not.

Edit: History of Paleontology, History of Archaeology

Inferni
Evocati (NPC)
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Rex III SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:39 am

Raze is right! Archaeology and Paleontology are two very different fields, though they have similar methods of "recovery" when it comes to material that's been buried.

In the case of 'Souls, you also have to keep the apocalypse in mind as well -- most museums were smaller and lacked the information we have these days, and some weren't even around (example: the Fundy Geological Museum didn't exist until 1993)! That also means a lot of places, including museums, would have fallen into disrepair over the decades that followed. Given that a good portion of the bones one sees in museums are imitation, and the nature of fossils in general, it's not unlikely that these would also suffer damage.

Bone collecting (ie; Wolf finds a cool skull in the stream) would probably amount to "archaeology" in Luperci terms vs a dig-site as we envision most archaeological expeditions. Luperci also likely wouldn't have a good understanding of geology, which means they wouldn't know -where- to dig as well as human scientists. Most of the bones found in Nova Scotia are usually around the Bay of Fundy, which as this article states, "These bones would be eroded within a month or two...If our museum wasn't here, they'd be washed to beach sand."
Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:24 pm

thanks guys! That pretty much answered my questions. Also thanks for clearing up the difference between Archaeology and Paleontology. :3

TILL VAN ULRICH
'Cause we were always alone, We were born in the hunter's season
All I really ever wanted was for you to die in the arms of someone
Avvie by Jasmae@FA, signature image by Nina@SoulsRPG

Salsola
The Warden
J
Luperci Witch Mate to Helena and Calla
WINTER IS COMING

Questions & Help