Horses

POSTED: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:19 pm

So, my character who is a giant weighs about 425 lbs and I was wondering about peoples opinions on him getting a horse that he can ride. I have never had a horse or studied them, but I read online that a horse can safely carry around 20% of it's own body weight, so I figure any horse he would get would have to be at least 2,125 lbs which is like a large draft horse... I also read that the largest horse ever was over 3,000 lbs.

Basically what my question is though is how easy/realistic would it be to get a giant horse? I know a lot of packs already have horses in their possession but what are your thoughts on the likelihood of obtaining, say, a large Shire horse or something? Possible? Unlikely?
Nyx
Anathema
Malphas Venator
Corie
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:41 pm

The RP Guide mentions likely horse breeds. Draft horses are often bread for hard labor like pulling, but Luperci would also like them for their carrying capacity; there are pack that have draft-type horses, and it’s not unreasonable to be able to find one that would be able to carry a large Luperci. However, large horses would need large amounts of food, so your character would need the resources to feed them.

…That said, your “giant” does seem a bit outlandishly large. :( As per the Size Charts, the heaviest Luperci tend to be ~350lbs, with a maximum height of 7'6" -- so larger than that would be outside the bounds of our size chart.

Edit: Oh, realized you were talking about a pre-existing character. @_@ If he was accepted before we cracked down on side guidelines, okay. Do keep in mind that giants suffer many consequences for their unnatural size. Sorry, thought this was a WIP character!

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Oh lol yeah Lux already has joint problems and pain and all that and is gonna die relatively young >.>

Thank you for the information though!
Nyx
Anathema
Malphas Venator
Corie
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Vesper wrote:However, large horses would need large amounts of food, so your character would need the resources to feed them.

This is indeed correct! For a horse of the required size, this would come out to ideally about 43lbs of food a day. (Approximately 2% of his body weight). Possibly more for a heavily working horse. :)
Lucille
Krokar
Captain
Myst
Moderator Luperci Mate to August Cartographer

POSTED: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:44 pm

This makes me wonder how packs even get the horse feed >_> do they have like.. a field for growing it specifically? someone to harvest it? It's probably something I could look into though lol
Nyx
Anathema
Malphas Venator
Corie
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:00 pm

I think some packs loosely reference trading for feed. KR has in the past, for example. Really horses on Souls would not be as healthy as the ones humans own since Luperci wouldn't have nearly as much research as we have into it. It also helps having horses be turned out in fields to graze all the time. Unless a horse was new, sick, or the weather was really bad, this is how all the horses I've ever cared for were kept. They had lean-tos out in the pastures and constant access to water, along with some hay every day. (We also fed them grain each morning, which was based on individual needs). If they're always stalled, Luperci would have to provide all the feed for them, which would be a lot of work. :)
Lucille
Krokar
Captain
Myst
Moderator Luperci Mate to August Cartographer

Questions & Help