Character idea

Pretend cryptid

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:18 am

So...I have a character idea.

So I had an idea for an El Chupacabra-like character. They won't be an actual El Chupacabra but they will look like one/think that they are one. So they'll be a jackal-dog hybrid with big floppy ears. I'm thinking of weimaraner and whippet for the dog aspect. So they'll be bluish with one red eye and one silver eye. They'll be kind of small and long-legged with weird teeth. Also, they will wear a sort of dyed fur garment that has spikes on the back.

They'll also have a friend, cNPC. A big black dog with red eyes, possibly bloodhound and mastiff (anyone get where I got that from?) and possibly Newfoundland. He'll be called "Shuck".

So these two characters are molded after cryptids but they aren't actually cryptids. Are they okay?

I might have some sketches up tomorrow

Be careful when looking up pictures. They scary.
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost
Luperci Venator, Praeceptor The pages of my story are torn and frayed
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:22 am

Avinalora wrote:So I had an idea for an El Chupacabra-like character. They won't be an actual El Chupacabra but they will look like one/think that they are one. So they'll be a jackal-dog hybrid with big floppy ears. I'm thinking of weimaraner and whippet for the dog aspect. So they'll be bluish with one red eye and one silver eye. They'll be kind of small and long-legged with weird teeth. Also, they will wear a sort of dyed fur garment that has spikes on the back.

The biggest thing that stands out as concerning to me is the mention of weird teeth. Remember that canines use their teeth for defense, hunting, and eating. Depending on what you mean, a character with abnormal teeth or bite may have difficulty chewing or appropriately defending themselves from threats.

Also, since jackals aren't native to North America, it should be noted how such lineage made into this character's genetic makeup. :)
Avinalora wrote:They'll also have a friend, cNPC. A big black dog with red eyes, possibly bloodhound and mastiff (anyone get where I got that from?) and possibly Newfoundland. He'll be called "Shuck".

I think this would be okay but just bear in mind that a dog of this size is likely to have structural issues as they get older and will need a lot of food to keep themselves at a healthy body weight.
HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza Drover, Leatherworker, Tailor Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:54 am

Hi Mandi! So what if they have long fangs and primarily drinks blood? And small pieces of meat? I know that they'd be weak but I'd be fine with that? And Shuck is going to be the big bad protector.

Also, Shuck might be like 6'11 or or so, but I'll keep that in mind!
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 am

For the garment with spikes, if he wears it in all 3 forms, you'll have to work out how it fits due to size differences and how it stays on. The spikes might also catch on things while moving/hunting.

Mastiffs are listed in the RP guide's unlikely dogs section due to its large size and muzzle shape. This does not mean you can't have one with mastiff in it but the muzzle shape would likely have disappeared over the generations since the virus struck.

As far as blood drinking goes, why he's doing that rather than just eating would likely need to be explained, especially since he'd probably be pretty hungry all the time and instincts would tell him to eat.
Lucille
Krokar
Captain
Myst
Moderator Luperci Mate to August Cartographer

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Mandi and Myst have touched upon a lot of the realism issues. Keep in mind that even oversized canine teeth might lead to some problems with chewing, defending themselves, etc., and as Myst pointed out, he would seriously need a reason to make the conscious decision to starve himself. It’s fine if he thinks that drinking blood gives him powers or something similar, and laps it up in addition to eating prey, but I highly doubt that he would be able to justify subsisting on only blood.

But a question less related to realism is: why?

Why does this character believe that they are the chupacabra? What led to them identifying with this creature? If they are a jackal-dog, rather than a native canine, how did they learn about this myth? What characters that they have met have reinforced this belief?

The myth of the chupcabra is, additionally, a rather new one as well; one source mentioned that the “sightings” began as early as 1995, which is several years after the apocalypse. It’s possible that you could justify this legend evolving in a Luperci world, but again—how would that come about? Did a strange creature attack Luperci livestock in a particularly strange way (rather than “Oh, that’s just Juan the loner poaching our goats again”)? Most “sightings” are coyotes with mange, which a fellow Luperci would likely be able to identify better than a superstitious human.

I think I would examine the “core” of this character, as well as why you would like to play such a character, before diving in too deeply. :> These are just a few questions to get you started!

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Maybe he won't have weird teeth, just a weird tooth? And maybe a splayed paw to mark him as weird? And he might just stick to Secui and Optime, perhaps his cloak could be used for both forms? And he kind of doesn't hunt. And Shuck might have only a little bit of mastiff but have a snout like a bloodhound and fur like a newfoundland (I got the mastiff and bloodhound from Sherlock Holmes).

So now I have a little idea for their history:
A pup was born to a pair of traders while at a port in Brazil. The pup was quite weird with his crazy eyes, a splayed paw, and a weird tooth not to mention their overall appearance. The pup was disowned and given to the superstitious villagers. Around that time, a creature had been attacking the villager's goats and chickens, drinking their blood. It had been described as a weird coyote with spikes. The creature was called "El Chupacabra". Once the pup came, the attacks had decreased and ultimately stopped.

The villagers believed that this pup was blessed, the child of El Chupacabra and the creature had not rested until the pup was formerly introduced into the pack. The pup was cared for and soon they believed that they were the child of El Chupacabra. The pup primarily drank blood and did eat meat, only after exsanguinating the carcass.

The youngling did meet a similarly weird Luperci. An English dog named Shuck, after the tales of the Black Shuck in England. The two hit off, both being quite weird and thought to be cryptids. The pair soon journeyed away from the village and soon came to 'Souls.
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:33 pm

As already pointed out, many dog breeds would not have survived the apocalypse. Simply because you want to base a character meant to be something inspired by another work might not mean they are best suited for this game. Remember, not every idea is one that will work best with our setting!

"Weird" tooth is still very vague -- teeth problems are a much bigger deal to wild animals than those you might see in domestic animals. A tooth that grows in weird is likely to get infected over time, and cause pain and health problems.

Another thing to consider is that characters who look sickly or strange may also be viewed as dangerous, and may draw unwanted attention...especially if it's stealing their food! Other canines might try and eliminate something that might "infect" their own population if they think it is diseased, and this might carry on to offspring.

Brazil is also VERY far away from Nova Scotia! Why would your characters be traveling so far? What's the motive behind them leaving this area, and how would they get from South America to Canada?

I strongly advise doing more research into things to help flesh out your ideas, but also to remember that more complicated ones will require more information and work on your part.
Salsola
The Boss
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm probably going to scrap the idea of Chupacabra and Shuck. I might do a char with a similar design but yeah. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the input!
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost

Questions & Help