Character idea

POSTED: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:02 pm

So.... I have another character idea. They may be played or a possible NPC to another char. So I have some questions.

First of all, could they be genderless and I refer to them as both male and female? For example, call them a she-wolf and then a man? Would that be allowable? Or would it go against the rules? Do I have to decide on a biological gender? Or can I leave that open?

Also, would it be okay if they had schizophrenia? Like the type where they have a imaginary friend that follows them around and a voice in their head? Like two of them? Would it take up a cNPC slot if they had a corporeal one and would it be allowed for them to have a voice in their head?

I might have another question once I get their design ready about the realism.

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
(Online)
Silverfrost
Luperci Venator, Praeceptor, Comunis The pages of my story are torn and frayed
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design

POSTED: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Yes, you can have an agendered character as Silence is one but they must have a listed biological gender (if I'm not mistaken) so as can be referenced by others.

For schizophrenia I would be careful with it, as with all mental disorders, and put in the time to fully research it so as not to stop on any toes and make outrageous generalizations. Now if there is a corporeal form then it would take up a cNPC spot, same as if there was a ghostly attachment. I don't see why they would be unable to hear voices but again I'd be careful with it as it is a real disorder.
Salsola
The Arbiter
Luperci Mate to Loki I FOUND THE BUNNIES Gold Soldier of Love
Faerie-Blooded

POSTED: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Research is your friend!

Characters can identify with any gender—so yes, agender characters are a possibility. However, I don’t know why you would refer to them as male and female unless they were bigender (two genders) or gender fluid (their gender is in flux)? If they’re genderless, I would stick with calling them “they.” Look up trans resources if you’re confused!

But yes, as Sylvey said, you have to denote their biological sex. Unfortunately, for most trans characters it’s impossible to “pass,” as scent—unless heavily masked, and even then this is not perfect—would betray their biological gender, and most characters would treat an afab agender character as “she” by default unless corrected. It’s not particularly realistic otherwise.

The ‘Souls universe doesn’t really have gender roles, universal gender expression, etc., unless players incorporate these things into their characters (e.g., wearing a dress isn’t necessarily a thing Luperci would see as “feminine” but we’re so used to it most writers go with it lol), so it might be a tricky thing—but we allow for trans characters for representation and for the same reason we allow characters with interests that aren’t plain “canine.”

Schizophrenia
To answer your policy-related question: if it’s just a “voice” or “imaginary friend” then no, it does not take up a cNPC slot. If the voice is actually a ghost, yes it would.

Again, like Sylvey said, make sure to do your research and treat this issue with respect. Not everyone with schizophrenia “hears voices,” and you can easily fall into the trope of “lol this character so insane” that’s overdone at best and harmful at worst.

A character with schizophrenia is not going to be well-adjusted and “normal” with the simple “cosmetic” effect of hearing voices for fun. Symptoms can include hallucinations (which can be auditory, but could also be visual [often not something as complex as seeing another wolf; probably just shapes, colors], or even involve hallucinating touches, tastes, and smells), but also delusions (most commonly paranoid delusions, e.g., “Everyone’s out to get me”) and thought disorders. Their emotions might be disrupted; they could appear to have no expression, or speak little. They probably have problem focusing on things or could become catatonic.

Basically, if you do want to do a character like this, do as much research as you can to be respectful and realistic. Don’t just play out tropes that you see in TV and movies. Try to decide how they would be affected in their day-to-day life, how terribly their disorder might disrupt them, and you’ll find it’s far more complicated than hearing voices.

There’s nothing against the rules about playing a character like this, but that’s just my personal recommendation as a person.

Personal Anedcotes/Examples
My character Loki Helsi is bigender, though I just use he/him when referring to him because of how his identity/belief is structured. He uses his sister's scent (through bedding, brushes) to make his scent ambiguous, and acts in an androgynous way (such as pitching his voice a bit higher). Again, through his belief system/identity he tends to describe himself as "both" male and female, and says that he is a man/was born a man (be careful with this terminology oocly) but is more than that.

Meanwhile, Resurrection de le Poer has schizophrenia. Specifically, he has tactile hallucinations (he "feels" people touching him) and the delusion that he is "chosen" by angels. It is slightly a throwback to his ancestor Gabriel, haha.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Genderfluid is what I'm thinking of. My brain was kind of mush when I wrote that and I forgot. But I will but in a biological gender. Can I refer to them as a female, male, or genderless or do I always have to refer to them as their biological gender?

I was thinking that Mystery would have two entities their head but can only see their shapes. I was think that they would be kind of quiet and spacey and mostly talking in their head. They're kind of a work-in-progress because my mind constantly pumps out ideas. So Mystery believes that they are being hunted and that is why they are genderfluid and their name is Mystery. They constantly travel around and are very stealthy. Mystery will only approach few. Primarily smaller specimens. I'm still working on their form preference.

Mystery is going to be a dog-coyote hybrid. Coyote-like build with long silky fur and straight rounded ears. They are a blue and black merle with one blue eye and one silver eye. Small for a coyote.

From under the roots of a tree, a small head poked out and then with a cautious look. And then with a sweep of winter eyes, the rest of their body was pulled out. The canine was small, with a coyote build and longer fur and coloration of a dog. Their eyes were two different colors. The left eye was icy blue and the other was a white silver. A pair of rounded ears stood tall on their head and their tail was long and silky.

Mystery had chosen to identify as a girl today since yesterday the merle had been a male. It was a lot easier to assume her biological gender since she wouldn't have to disguise her scent. She would probably be genderless tomorrow and then change up the pattern tomorrow just in case. She knew they were still after her.

"Hello, darling." A rough feminine voice sounded. The voice had an English accent and with it came a red-eyed shadow at the corner of the girl's eye. Crowley was here and soon Lucifer would be. Crowley was one of the shadows that accompanied the hybrid. At first she had been cold and distant but now she was almost motherly. To be honest, the dog trusted the red-eyed demon over the other.

"Look who decided to greet the day." A masculine voice came. It had a darker edge to it and the voice was accompanied by a fiery-eyed shape. Speak of the devil and he should come. The demonic pair were a part of the Luperci's life since They had attacked. She didn't know who Lucifer and Crowley were but they had appeared once she had woken up covered in blood.

The normally silent female didn't exactly acknowledge the shadows but a glance in their direction was enough before continuing on with her day. She poked her head back into the hollow and pulled out a satchel and pulled it over her head. She always had to keep moving.

"Leaving so soon?" The devil said. He didn't seem to care that They were after them.

"You know why I always have to run." Mystery responded, her tenor wafting through the air. She turned to look at the fire-eyed shape. Lucifer was a tall, skeletal shape that seemed wolf-sized. A chuckle was the only response she got out of him. With a slight huff she began walking.

"You're going to need some food, sweetheart." The British voice called and then a small dog-like shadow was at the woman's side. Crowley definitely was a sort of mother to the Everdream. With a shrug, the small female scented the air.

Her two companions have only preliminary names. Crowley sounds like a female Mark Shepherd and Lucifer sounds like Mark Pellegrino (I'm SPN trash)

Are they okay?

Update: Mystery will have straight-rounded ears!

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
(Online)
Silverfrost

POSTED: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 pm

To me that sounds more like concealment of identity to me than truly being genderfluid. There isn't a reason to being genderfluid, you just are. It is what you feel inside, not let me say I am this gender or that gender because someone is chasing me.
Salsola
The Arbiter
Luperci Mate to Loki I FOUND THE BUNNIES Gold Soldier of Love
Faerie-Blooded

POSTED: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 am

Stjarna Fylgja wrote:To me that sounds more like concealment of identity to me than truly being genderfluid. There isn't a reason to being genderfluid, you just are. It is what you feel inside, not let me say I am this gender or that gender because someone is chasing me.

Oh, okay! So something like this?:
Mystery wrote:Mystery had chosen to identify as a girl today. It was just one of those things she did. Not like the merle was weird enough. But she didn't feel like attatching herself to one gender. She liked change. Change was good...sometimes. The day before the female had felt more masculine and preferred male pronouns. Sometimes, people didn't understand. But would anyone truly understand such a mystery?

Someone is welcome to whack me for that pun

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
(Online)
Silverfrost

POSTED: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am

I’m really glad that you steered away from Mystery “choosing” their gender each day because they are on the run. It’s fine to have a character like that—might be interesting, actually!—but that is not being genderfluid.

In general, I would stay away from the word “choose.” Gender isn’t really something that you choose, it just is.* Being genderfluid means that you feel like different genders at different times.

*Do take what I say with a grain of salt, as I can’t really speak for how everyone feels gender, but do look up trans and gender resources if you’re really serious about pursuing this character.

POSTED: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Raze has also mentioned a lot of details regarding how schizophrenia presents itself, and I would strongly suggest researching this further. The National Institute of Mental Health can provide you with more information.
Salsola
The Boss
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Salvia Eternity wrote:Raze has also mentioned a lot of details regarding how schizophrenia presents itself, and I would strongly suggest researching this further. The National Institute of Mental Health can provide you with more information.
Silas Kasper wrote:I’m really glad that you steered away from Mystery “choosing” their gender each day because they are on the run. It’s fine to have a character like that—might be interesting, actually!—but that is not being genderfluid.

In general, I would stay away from the word “choose.” Gender isn’t really something that you choose, it just is.* Being genderfluid means that you feel like different genders at different times.

*Do take what I say with a grain of salt, as I can’t really speak for how everyone feels gender, but do look up trans and gender resources if you’re really serious about pursuing this character.

I'll keep that all in mind when I play them!

And just a side question. Mystery is a coyote-dog hybrid but they look like a fluffy wolf. Would that be okay?
Wiki here

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
(Online)
Silverfrost

POSTED: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 pm

That would be fine. Aussie shep heritage would make them pretty fluffy and even coyotes can have quite a thick winter coat.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
commission info

Upcoming Absence(s):
you know what here's the con schedule
'Souls Assemblage
King Explosion Murder
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help