Smoking questions?

POSTED: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:29 am

I'm writing a post about smoking, and have a few questions relating to it! Do luperci know that smoking tobacco is damaging to their health? Also, are cigarettes wrapped differently than they are irl? (And if so, would that alter their appearance dramatically?)

Thanks in advance!
Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Mouzy

POSTED: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 am

The SA probably has a few ideas regarding this, but I'll throw my two cents in.

My general assumption would be that most luperci are not aware that cigarettes are harmful to their health, unless someone actually found an old cigarette pack and read the surgeon general's warning; it wasn't until 1984, however, that the warning changed from 'may be hazardous' to 'causes lung cancer, heart disease, and emphysema'.

Since the virus broke out in 1988, that's about four years of discarded cigarette packs that might have warnings, assuming they were/are still legible.

Almost every cigarette smoked ICly would have to be wrapped in something like rolling papers; since human-made ones likely would have degraded by now, large leaves and luperci-made ones would have to suffice.

I'd probably recommend doing some research on currently used papers and what might be available post-apocalypse that your character could use. :3

There's also a handy guide on intoxicants on the Roleplay Guide!
Salsola
The Gamekeeper (NPC)
Lorraine
Luperci Cavalleria, Vaquera Mate to Lokr
vitriolic

POSTED: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:03 am

Thank you so much! <3
Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Mouzy

POSTED: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't have much to add to what Lorraine has said, but yeah -- it's not likely that Luperci would know smoking = cancer (or that Luperci would know what cancer even really is), but individuals might see a correlation between smoking and coughing, other damaging side effects, etc. So an individual could say "Well, my uncle smoked tobacco a lot and he started coughing up blood near the end," but another could just as easily come back with "I've smoked tobacco for five years and I'm fine."

Inferni
Evocati
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

Questions & Help