Questions regarding wound healing + tips

POSTED: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:58 pm

So, Avinalora has now lost an eye. Like she had a socket with a claw mark on her face. So, I have a few questions now about stuff regarding the wound and how to play it.

So, can she still shift? I mean she got the wound in Optime, so can she shift as long as someone fixes the bandages? I wouldn't imagine her going farther than Secui form.

How long would a scar like that heal, assuming that she treats in regularly? A few months?

And, does anyone have any tips regarding the wound healing and tips for how to play it?

Side question: Would I have to edit Avinalora's art to reflect her new scar?

[M] Thread where Avi loses her eye

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
Silverfrost
Luperci Venator, Praeceptor, Comunis The pages of my story are torn and frayed
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design

POSTED: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:14 pm

I can only really help with hearsay information that I got from research. <3

After some research, I came up with 6 to 10 weeks, or nearly 3 months, for the wound to heal itself. Realistically, if it isn't cared for, the time spent healing could be considerably more. As far as healing tips go, rubbing the eyelids, washing or submerging in water can be harmful. You can expect there to headaches and nausea one to three days, or more, after the removal. Since she lost the eye through non-surgical means, there is a higher risk of infection.

IC wise, I would get a gauze eye-patch and rock it. Make sure to clean it two-three times a day or as needed. Keep up on the poppy tinctures and pain medication.

When it comes to shifting, since there is sometimes a difference in the size of the skull:

Depending on the species, the skull may be quite massive compared to the Lupus form, and is roughly the same size as the Optime form’s.

She would probably need to have the bandages replaced each time she shifts until she is fully healed or forego shifting at all till she's healed.
Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Inferni
Centurion
Dread
Luperci multiple Co-ranks Hushabye Raven

POSTED: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Well, it looks like Avi might be stuck in AT for three months because she can't shift into Secui. She might kill someone
And she'll be miserable, great!
Thanks Dread!

Any more tips about playing this out? Should I edit her art/get new art for her now that she is all scarred and scary?

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
Silverfrost

POSTED: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Whilst she already has poor eye sight before this, one thing I'd keep in mind is that a loss of an eye will impact her vision; space perception may be off until she adapts to using one eye, although how well she adapts to the loss of eye and it's impacts on her remaining vision would vary.

Additionally, another thing to keep in mind is not to play up incorrect stereotypes that can occur with characters without sight or with limited sight; her senses likely won't improve or be any better than the next Tom, Dick or Harry's, but because she can't use sight, she'd be paying that more attention.

Generally with injuries, explaining how it effects her is a good idea. Cuts and injuries itch and are sore when they hurt; there's the temptation to poke them, scratch them, etc. Has she got a stinky healing paste on her face to treat it? Bandages? Are the bandages tight? Uncomfortable? How's she sleeping with one side of her face injured? Is she sleeping at all? There are a lot of cool minor things you can really delve into to explain how a healing would if impacting her, not just covering how it was treated!

Is there anything she can't do now because of her impacted sight, that she used to do? Is someone helping her adapt to the injury? Emotional impacts, as well as physical are a good idea to brain storm and plan ahead of time!
By the grace of the fire and the flames
YOU'RE THE FACE OF THE FUTURE, THE BLOOD IN MY VEINS
Sapient
Sagax
Kitty
Mate to Naenia Swindler Victimology
I'm just a snake
SO LAY ME DOWN
In the cold dark earth

POSTED: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:13 am

Well, Avi was blind in that eye before it was ripped out Avi: "At least that was my bad one" But the eye did warn her of moving objects, so she might have her vision impacted by that.

Nivosus Moineau wrote:Additionally, another thing to keep in mind is not to play up incorrect stereotypes that can occur with characters without sight or with limited sight; her senses likely won't improve or be any better than the next Tom, Dick or Harry's, but because she can't use sight, she'd be paying that more attention.

I'll try to do that. I might say that she pays even more attention now, kind of like Moody with his "Constant vigilance" thing.

Nivosus Moineau wrote:Generally with injuries, explaining how it effects her is a good idea. Cuts and injuries itch and are sore when they hurt; there's the temptation to poke them, scratch them, etc. Has she got a stinky healing paste on her face to treat it? Bandages? Are the bandages tight? Uncomfortable? How's she sleeping with one side of her face injured? Is she sleeping at all? There are a lot of cool minor things you can really delve into to explain how a healing would if impacting her, not just covering how it was treated!

Now that you mention it, I was thinking that when Avi is healing, she lashes her tail more often because her wound is bothering her, but not wanting to be a hypocrite, she doesn't scratch at it. She kind of develops a bit of a Dr. House personality as well. I don't think she sleeps that much either after the incident, either.

Nivosus Moineau wrote:Is there anything she can't do now because of her impacted sight, that she used to do? Is someone helping her adapt to the injury? Emotional impacts, as well as physical are a good idea to brain storm and plan ahead of time!

Well, she becomes more irritable and snarky while she's healing. She probably doesn't trust her instincts as much because that's what got her in trouble. And she won't let her guard down around patients. Yep, a few personality changes

I also found this site while looking for things on lost eyes.

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
Silverfrost

POSTED: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Just a quick question, but how would one attatch the bandage since Avi has scratches on her face and an eyepatch wouldn't work and she has big ears and hair. I'm not sure how she would do this short of shaving her head.

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
Silverfrost

POSTED: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 am

You can use a cloth wrap around.
Anita "Fang" Espinoza

Inferni
Centurion
Dread
Luperci multiple Co-ranks Hushabye Raven

POSTED: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:41 am

I'm just confused on how the gauze wrap is supposed to wrap around her head with her ears and hair. Would she have to pull it backwards? Would she have to push down an ear slightly so that her face can be wrapped? Or is the space between the ears smaller than I thought?

And, would I have to edit her art/get new art now that she's been injured to portray her correctly?

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
Silverfrost

POSTED: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:17 am

It's possible she might have to push back her hair or cut it -- but real life animals wear gauze bandages for injuries and make it work? Examples: 1, 2, 3

I want to echo what Kitty mentioned as far as how this affects Avinalora. Injury is not all pretty and poetic, and not something that can be easily written off. Avinalora will have days where she's full of despair, frustrated, itchy as all hell, hurting badly, and unable to control herself and her temper, most likely. Reading about the experiences of people who have lost eyes is a good start. :) Focusing on the small, obnoxious details is great for character development!

The only official rule regarding avatars is that they must depict your character; they can be silly or "inaccurate" as long as they are relevant to the character and are of the right species (e.g., no bird version of Avinalora or something).

That said, you might be misleading your thread partners somewhat by having an old, inaccurate image of your character as your avatar; they might assume that she still has both eyes, no scars, etc. But for tables, other images, etc., it doesn't really matter, and it's understandable that you might not be able to edit gift art or afford new art. I went through the same process with Skoll, but luckily I had enough art of him that I drew (and very generous previous artists) that I was able to cultivate a good number of images with his missing eye. :> I still use old art of him in tables sometimes, but I make sure his avatar at least is accurate!

Inferni
Evocati
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

Questions & Help