Fours on Optime question

POSTED: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:58 pm

So, i was thinking back to when I was a child who ran around the house for fun on all-fours. Garunteed, I wasn't running as fast as I could normally, I could run say, speed-walk speed. Could Optime Luperci do that too?

I'm just a bit confused since there doesn't seem to be any sort of guidelines on what Optime can do on all-fours. I was thinking that Iorek might walk around like that in the rare times he does take Optime form, though he would just be toddling around because he thinks that after seeing Hartt with a dead deer in Optime form, he thinks that he should try Optime form. The reasoning behind him on four legs in Optime form because he was raised in a solitary feral lifestyle, and he simply doesn't like his head up so high or something. And I did some drawings of it to show what I thought Iorek would look walking around in Optime form. I did look at normal werewolves for reference since that is what Iorek sort of looks like.
Horrible art one
Horrible art two
Horrible art three

TD;LR
So, what is the extent of Luperci walking on all fours? The parameters?
Iorek
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Silverfrost
Luperci Casa's Top Poster

POSTED: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 pm

On phone so can't link previous answers, but this was addressed on the Tumblr.

Walking on all fours in Optime would be just as awkward for Luperci as it is for humans, if not more so because of the length of their legs. Moving this way constantly could lead to back problems and muscle stain.

If anything, an Optime Luperci who wants to move on "all fours" crouched or something could move more like Tarzan! This could still be awkward and cause physical issues though.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Asuilaak

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Ah, so they can walk on all fours, though it would be awkward and could lead to problems if done for too long? And I realize tht it's been a long time since I've seen Tarzan. So, they would move a bit awkwardly and not be able to run? The drawing that Nat did helps, though I don't know why it looks like they could run a bit or trot? Maybe it's my eyes, I guess.

And Iorek will be doing this for a bit, but he might learn that he should walk on two legs in a bit since he is sort of new to humanized Luperci.

And I did see a few posts of characters running in Optime and that sort of confused me a bit.
Iorek
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Silverfrost

POSTED: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :>

I imagine that Iorek would learn pretty quickly that walking on two legs is much easier! To be honest, that is what should feel most "natural" for Luperci in Optime form, though tracking and moving stealthily might be easier by crouching along. However, Iorek would probably stand a little more hunched, with more weight in his knees/thighs, as pictured on the RP Guide.

And any references of characters running on all fours in Optime form should be reported! It's possible that they might have been old threads we never caught, which isn't a big deal, but it's not something that's feasible for them. (Basically, if you got down on all fours and tried to run right now, that's how it would feel like!)

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:50 pm

There are YouTube videos such as this one and this one of human beings moving at a somewhat decent speed on all fours. This one and this one are probably much more likely for the average Luperci without extensive practice. As luperci have less proportionate limbs, it'd be even more awkward and slower and probably painful. It's definitely not real running, though.

Of course, that's a real gray area of what is or isn't too fast or too fluid a movement to be realistic. But it's technically possible, just an awful and painful idea. That's what secui form is for, as Iorek already knows! ^-^
Asuilaak

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

I did play my character Zalen to walk/run on all fours in Optime; I used the way the Gargoyle's ran on all fours (from the cartoon) as a reference; the only reason he was able to do it semi-gracefully was because he had weirdly long front arms to make up for his back legs. I'm sure if he wouldn't have had died early on that he would have had terrible back issues in old age.

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Nat
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:43 am

Aldora Knight wrote:I did play my character Zalen to walk/run on all fours in Optime; I used the way the Gargoyle's ran on all fours (from the cartoon) as a reference; the only reason he was able to do it semi-gracefully was because he had weirdly long front arms to make up for his back legs. I'm sure if he wouldn't have had died early on that he would have had terrible back issues in old age.

Is it possible for Iorek to have a similar mutation (Not as long as Zalen's, though)? He hasn't been played in Optime form yet, and I have a bit of an idea that when he does stand on two legs in Optime form, they are curled to his chest.
Iorek
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Silverfrost

POSTED: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Iorek wrote:Is it possible for Iorek to have a similar mutation (Not as long as Zalen's, though)? He hasn't been played in Optime form yet, and I have a bit of an idea that when he does stand on two legs in Optime form, they are curled to his chest.

You'll have to check with the mods on that; I got away with it only because I was the first to really do it, so I was grandfathered in. They've made rules about it since then. I suppose if you have Iorek be very hunched and feral in Optime form it would be more acceptable.
Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Nat
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:41 pm

We wouldn't allow something like this, no, especially since this has always been our policy. :( Any mutation of limb length would affect all forms, and likely has detrimental side effects. I believe that we missed Zalen's "mutation" which is the reason that he's "grandfathered in;" obviously it makes little sense to ask for changes since he's dead!

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

Questions & Help