Adoption

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm

If a character can't have kids, could they still contribute puppy points to be able to adopt a puppy?
Lux Einar

Anathema
Bael
Corie
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm pretty sure said puppy would be considered a cNPC instead of a yNPC? :O

Souls Tumblr wrote:"No, puppy points cannot be used for a “found” puppy; it would have to be a cNPC.

Puppy points are meant to be used for biological children born on-board, or for same-sex couples making use of a surrogate on-board. This is to encourage more realistic child-rearing, active parents with active ties, and to increase chances of the pup being successfully adopted/picked up by a player. The benefits that come with yNPC status – the ability to be listed on the official Open Characters list and to be played months earlier than a cNPC puppy – are all to see to that end.

A “found” puppy given the benefits of yNPC status would likely encourage more found puppies, which we don’t wish to do."

Unless, by "adopt" you mean, to use someone as the surrogate donor (sperm or womb of another) in place of your character? :O In which case, I think that'd follow the same thought of the surrogate for the same-sex couples? Not 100% sure though xD
Last edited by Asura Creo on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sapient
Domus Inter
Songbird
Luperci Medic

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Well, I meant more of like an adoptive parent contributing a point to a pre-planned litter that was conceived on board xD would that be acceptable?
Lux Einar

Anathema
Bael
Corie
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Isabella was not a biological parent but was considered an actual parent so i contributed a point for neith. Loki sired them and Lillith gave birth, but loki was only considered a donor. C:

Lillith and Isabella paid for the litter, so Isa technically adopted the kids as they were both their kids xD
SILVANO SADIRA

avatar by Lin & signature by Pabs
Cour des Miracles
King
Gen
Moderator Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
You'll know, you're never alone.
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Here's the story in regards to what Corie is asking...

Maelyx and Lux mated and there will be pups from that union.

Maelyx and Avinalora will end up mates, though that happens after the mating with lux.

Avinalora will be a step-parent, as Lux will still be an involved parent.

So I think what Silver and Corie were wondering, can Silver (Avinalora) contribute points to this litter though it's not a surrogacy?
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Nukiira
Luperci
TRASHCAN

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 pm

In this scenario, no, Avinalora would not be able to contribute any points to this litter, as she was not a planned parent from the start.

The only situation where a non-biological parent can contribute points to a litter is in same-sex couples using a surrogate, but these must be planned as such from the start.

If Maelyx and Avinalora were mates and asked Lux to be a surrogate, then Maelyx and Avinalora would both be able to contribute points (but Lux would not be able to). However, since Maelyx and Avinalora are not mates at the time of the Maelyx/Lux union and the litter is not planned with Avinalora as a parent from the start, the same-sex+surrogate situation doesn't apply.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

commission info
con schedule (aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
King Explosion Murder
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 am

Also, side question. If Avi does become Maelyx's mate during the pregnancy, will those pups be her yNPCs? And if a certain character abandons/gives her pups to Avi and Mae, do they become their yNPCs, too? If the players talked about it and it was ICly?

Anathema
Bathin Herbarius
Silverfrost
Luperci Venator, Praeceptor, Comunis The pages of my story are torn and frayed
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design

POSTED: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 am

If Avi does become Maelyx's mate during the pregnancy, will those pups be her yNPCs?

No.

And if a certain character abandons/gives her pups to Avi and Mae, do they become their yNPCs, too? If the players talked about it and it was ICly?

If yNPCs are formally, ICly adopted out, their yNPC status may be retained on a case-by-case basis. The main caveat here is that the adoption must have IC basis. Also, in most cases, if a litter has two active parents, if one parent becomes inactive, ownership defaults to the remaining parent, so the "adopting out" in this scenario doesn't really make sense if only one parent is abandoning their litter.

Remember that not all puppies are yNPCs. A random NPC can't wander in with a pup and just adopt it out as a yNPC. Puppy points must be used on a litter for those pups to be yNPCs.

A lot of these formalities might not actually be important depending on what your end goals are though?

Like if a Mae/Lux litter comes to exist, there's no reason Avi can't ICly take care of them or "be their parent" or whatever. You (Silver, as her player) just can't contribute puppy points. I'm not sure it really matters whether the pups are Avi's yNPCs or simply Mae's (or Lux's) yNPCs.
ALAINEY DREW THIS

commission info
'Souls Assemblage
King Explosion Murder
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:00 am

A lot of these formalities might not actually be important depending on what your end goals are though?

Like if a Mae/Lux litter comes to exist, there's no reason Avi can't ICly take care of them or "be their parent" or whatever. You (Silver, as her player) just can't contribute puppy points. I'm not sure it really matters whether the pups are Avi's yNPCs or simply Mae's (or Lux's) yNPCs.

That's how I feel, too.

And, in regards to a char adopting to Maelyx and stuff... the pups in question are also my other char's pups so I wouldn't expect that to matter or be a problem, either. They will also, eventually, make their way back around to said char.
Anathema
Belias Ignis
Nuki
Luperci Anathema's Top Poster for June! I command you, I control you
filia lunae lumen

POSTED: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:32 am

Yeah, if the character abandoning their pups is also yours, it's really not a big deal ultimately.

Because yNPC pups are earned and paid for and because yNPCs have various benefits over regular cNPCs, transfer of ownership of yNPCs is carefully reviewed. Wolf (Player 1) abandoning yNPC pups to Dog (Player 2) and Dog being formally recognised as the "attached parent" means that the yNPCs are allowed to stick around for as long as Dog is around, etc, and it means that Player 2 has official ownership of those yNPCs (including ability to find players for them, have adoption contracts, etc).

If Wolf and Dog have the same player, it's less of a big deal because there is no OOC ownership transferal to accompany the IC one, but an official IC adoption should still take place, since the "attached parent" of the yNPCs is still changing.
ALAINEY DREW THIS

commission info
'Souls Assemblage
King Explosion Murder
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help