golden jackals in souls (+ doctors and diseases)

POSTED: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 am

Per the guide:

They are not particularly adapted to cold weather: they cannot traverse through very heavy snowfall without keeping to a path made by another animal first. Temperatures are also a problem, but they are capable of surviving them up to -35 °F (-37 °F).

Would my character need to buy a mount to deal with the snow, or hire a native wolf to make travel during autumn/winter easier? Would the latter be enough? (I imagine feeding a mount would be harder during the winter, also, and I don't think she would be able to hunt during winter if she can't travel through snow - so she would need someone to help her regardless, until she finds a pack.)

Also, would it be unreasonable to have a golden jackal operate in a Bedouin-like tribe and herd goats or camels? Not something huge, but:

The individual family unit (known as a tent or "gio") typically consisted traditionally of three or four adults (a married couple plus siblings or parents) and any number of children. When resources were plentiful, several tents would travel together as a goum.

They would have traveled as just one family unit most of the time.

Bedouins have traditionally migrated in in-law-related domestic units or households in the spring and summer and converged with other near-kin households to live in bigger camps in the winter. The size of camp can vary between three tents or as many as 15. The size of the camp is often dependent on how much pasture is available for animals. The deserts can be quite cold at night. Bedouins build fires at night to keep warm.

Would any of this be too contradictory toward the golden jackal's natural habits? I figure herding and the luperci virus could offer them more resources to group together, even if they don't naturally do so -- since they are more likely to travel in packs when there's plentiful resources.
Last edited by Zaahira al-Ghul on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

HOOKHAND

POSTED: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi there! Welcome to 'Souls! :) I'm Mandi, a mod here on the board. These aren't official answers, but I'm going to try and explain my personal thoughts on your questions. c:

Zaahira al-Ghul wrote:Would my character need to buy a mount to deal with the snow, or hire a native wolf to make travel during autumn/winter easier? Would the latter be enough? (I imagine feeding a mount would be harder during the winter, also, and I don't think she would be able to hunt during winter if she can't travel through snow - so she would need someone to help her regardless, until she finds a pack.)

Having a mount would certainly make travel easier for her, but yes, feeding the animal may prove difficult for her if the animal is not allowed to roam freely. Is it necessary that she have a mount? No. She could certainly still travel, though, without the ability to make her own, she would be limited to keeping to trails that have already been cut by other animals or Luperci.

Having a helper -- whether its a native wolf or coyote, a hardy northern landrace dog, or a combination of these -- would absolutely improve your character's chances at survival during the winter months. An alternative to creating an NPC would be to reach out to current members by posting a request to our Thread Requests & Plotting forum to gauge interest. If you haven't already, you could also join our chat and meet new people there, too!

Zaahira al-Ghul wrote:Also, would it be unreasonable to have a golden jackal operate in a Bedouin-like tribe and herd goats or camels? They would have traveled as just one family unit most of the time. Would any of this be too contradictory toward the golden jackal's natural habits? I figure herding and the luperci virus could offer them more resources to group together, even if they don't naturally do so -- since they are more likely to travel in packs when there's plentiful resources.

Traveling in family units would probably be just fine, so long as they aren't too large or powerful. It's been many generations now since the Luperci gene was introduced to the Canis genus, and a lot has changed -- both culturally and biologically -- that would likely allow for differences in how the "natural" golden jackals might have lived in the time before Luperci.

Regarding the animals they could herd: depending on where this tribe would be, the animals would need to be native to that area. Goats would be fine here in Canada, but camels would not. :)

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Edited: Shadow-posted by Mandi xDD

Re: Jackal vs. Cold;
    Mandi pretty much covered what your limits would be with a horse or with a Luperci companion!

If your character is a shift-capable Luperci, they could also simply adorn cold-weather clothes (i.e. furs) to combat the colder months of Nova Scotia. We've had quite a few jackals/jackal-dominate hybrids on the forum, and they don't require a companion to blaze trails for them beforehand. Sure, it's certainly easier, but, it's not a requirement. If this character is a non-shifter, navigating the snowdrifts would definitely be harder, as would trying to explain their ability to survive the frigid temperatures with their notably shorter coat.

Either way, with or without a horse or cNPC to help them move about, so long as you basically account for the jackal's smaller size and need to, essentially, bundle up, in these colder months, you should be fine.

Re: Group size;
    Settlements are perfectly fine, as there are plenty that have been made here on 'Souls (both player-made and "Official"-made), jackals included. As Mandi mentioned though, I would try to NOT claim or allude to that, when these "tents" all combine together in the winter months, that their total number exceeds 50 Luperci. We have allowed for large "packs" or "groups" in the past in character histories, however, we don't like for them to be overly large x3 For comparison; the largest groups of Luperci in existence (i.e. the most populated “cities”) only number in the hundreds, and packs usually have 5-25 members.
Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:21 am

Milos Parhelion wrote:An alternative to creating an NPC would be to reach out to current members by posting a request to our Thread Requests & Plotting forum to gauge interest. If you haven't already, you could also join our chat and meet new people there, too!

I assumed that anyone on the board would have been unable to help her find 'Souls since they'd be here already - but if it's not actually snowing now and she can make her way up here, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

Milos Parhelion wrote:Regarding the animals they could herd: depending on where this tribe would be, the animals would need to be native to that area. Goats would be fine here in Canada, but camels would not. :)

No camels or goats will be brought to Canada. This is more for background information; she's going to travel from northern africa to here for reasons unrelated to animal herding.

Asura Creo wrote:If your character is a shift-capable Luperci, they could also simply adorn cold-weather clothes (i.e. furs) to combat the colder months of Nova Scotia. We've had quite a few jackals/jackal-dominate hybrids on the forum, and they don't require a companion to blaze trails for them beforehand. Sure, it's certainly easier, but, it's not a requirement. If this character is a non-shifter, navigating the snowdrifts would definitely be harder, as would trying to explain their ability to survive the frigid temperatures with their notably shorter coat.

Either way, with or without a horse or cNPC to help them move about, so long as you basically account for the jackal's smaller size and need to, essentially, bundle up, in these colder months, you should be fine.[/list]

Oh, I thought it wasn't a matter of cold, but something with their paws not being adapted to snow that prevented them from walking across deep snow? Not sure where I got that idea, since reading over the guide, it doesn't directly mention their paws.

She's luperci and I already planned to have her wear thick clothing to compensate for the cold.

Asura Creo wrote:Re: Group size;
[list]Settlements are perfectly fine, as there are plenty that have been made here on 'Souls (both player-made and "Official"-made), jackals included. As Mandi mentioned though, I would try to NOT claim or allude to that, when these "tents" all combine together in the winter months, that their total number exceeds 50 Luperci. We have allowed for large "packs" or "groups" in the past in character histories, however, we don't like for them to be overly large x3 For comparison; the largest groups of Luperci in existence (i.e. the most populated “cities”) only number in the hundreds, and packs usually have 5-25 members.

I think I can modify it so that doesn't happen, easily.

HOOKHAND

POSTED: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:28 am

Zaahira al-Ghul wrote:
Milos Parhelion wrote:An alternative to creating an NPC would be to reach out to current members by posting a request to our Thread Requests & Plotting forum to gauge interest. If you haven't already, you could also join our chat and meet new people there, too!

I assumed that anyone on the board would have been unable to help her find 'Souls since they'd be here already - but if it's not actually snowing now and she can make her way up here, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

A lot of characters travel outside of the playable area, so it wouldn't be unfeasible for her to meet a character currently on the board (depending, of course, where they might meet -- but that's something you'd have to hash out with any interested players). Otherwise, since its still early in the season and any snow that may have fallen is unlikely to be deep enough to deter travel for her, I think that it's reasonable to have her make her way up here now. :)

Loners
Wolfdog
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am

As far as walking through the snow -- yeah, smaller paws might fall through the crust since they don't have the furry "snowshoe" paws, so she might plop down into deep snow, but this wouldn't be much of an issue if she was in her taller Secui or Optime forms. :) In Optime, it would be the same as a human traversing it -- annoying, but not impossible in all but the deepest snowdrifts! It's also worth noting that a horse would also be disadvantaged in said deep snowdrifts, so having a mount isn't necessarily a free pass.

Song and Mandi have basically covered everything else! Just keep in mind what types of protection your jackal might need from the cold and moisture. I have a jackal character who wraps her paws with hide to prevent frostbite, for example, in addition to wearing warm clothing to compensate for her thinner pelt.
Cour des Miracles
Sénéchal
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Brawler & Venatores heliophagy SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2018 Champion!
devour the sun
tarnished prince

POSTED: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:43 am

A lot of characters travel outside of the playable area, so it wouldn't be unfeasible for her to meet a character currently on the board (depending, of course, where they might meet -- but that's something you'd have to hash out with any interested players). Otherwise, since its still early in the season and any snow that may have fallen is unlikely to be deep enough to deter travel for her, I think that it's reasonable to have her make her way up here now. :)

*nods*

Skoll Haskel wrote:As far as walking through the snow -- yeah, smaller paws might fall through the crust since they don't have the furry "snowshoe" paws, so she might plop down into deep snow, but this wouldn't be much of an issue if she was in her taller Secui or Optime forms. :) In Optime, it would be the same as a human traversing it -- annoying, but not impossible in all but the deepest snowdrifts! It's also worth noting that a horse would also be disadvantaged in said deep snowdrifts, so having a mount isn't necessarily a free pass.

Song and Mandi have basically covered everything else! Just keep in mind what types of protection your jackal might need from the cold and moisture. I have a jackal character who wraps her paws with hide to prevent frostbite, for example, in addition to wearing warm clothing to compensate for her thinner pelt.

No mount, then, unless I just want her to have something to carry stuff with. I'm not sure she'd have the goods to trade for a horse or something like that, though, since I'm still trying to figure out her background.

Paw-wrapping would solve another problem I'm trying to figure out.

Unrelated to golden jackals, except in the sense that this character is one:
I want to make her obsessed with curing diseases (but her actual 'cures' are either common sense like bed rest, or they're superstition) without killing her. I'm fine with her getting sick and suffering some long-term detrimental effects as a result of it, but since she's already going to be dealing with the cold in 'Souls, I figure she can't come on board with anything that would make it too hard to survive.

The problem comes with how lethal all the diseases I'm finding are. I plan to have one in her background to explain why she has this obsession in the first place, I mean, but, uh... if she's seeking out diseased canines to treat them, then she's going to encounter another lethal disease (besides the one that killed her tribe) again and I have to come up with an excuse for why she hasn't died.

These are the options I've thought of:

1. Complete hand-waving, with Zaahira either not encountering a disease like canine distemper, or somehow just not getting it despite being in proximity to it.
  2. Zaahira accidentally stumbles upon a method that prevents her from getting it, like being super-clean and covering herself from head to toe, and burning her clothing after coming in to contact with sick canines that she knows has the Super Lethal variety of disease.
  3. Being able to identify the super lethal variety of disease before she encounters them, via a teacher or someone else warning her. She immediately turns away those people and warns others not to interact with them. Maybe she preemptively kills them and burns their bodies?
  4. She's still a doctor, but she doesn't seek out diseased canines and instead shuns them and tells them that they're cursed.
  5. Some combination of the above?

Would any of that be acceptable, or is this idea unworkable and I should start over with something else? Am I thinking too hard about this?

Also, I found this thread while researching the disease thing. Are you all still fine with player-created diseases? I was initially going to go with Parvo for the lethal background disease, but then looked up the potential long-term side effects of surviving that and decided that I didn't want to play a character who had intermittent diarrhea.

HOOKHAND

POSTED: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:25 pm

I think all of those options are acceptable within realistic constraints.

For example, #1, handwaving a small number of encounters is probably fine, especially if done in combination with #2 or #3, but if Zaahira is able to pass through a lot of disease-ridden areas unaffected, you'd be treading into godmoding territory.

And yes, as the older thread mentions, vague, non-specific diseases are generally recommended over specific real-life ones, as the latter requires much more research and checks for accuracy/realism. Players wishing to create very specific made-up diseases are recommended to let the administration know about details beforehand.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
avatar by felidre ; sig by alaine

con schedule
(aka absence schedule)
'Souls Assemblage
Eldritch Beast
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Kyrios Lykoi wrote:I think all of those options are acceptable within realistic constraints.

For example, #1, handwaving a small number of encounters is probably fine, especially if done in combination with #2 or #3, but if Zaahira is able to pass through a lot of disease-ridden areas unaffected, you'd be treading into godmoding territory.

And yes, as the older thread mentions, vague, non-specific diseases are generally recommended over specific real-life ones, as the latter requires much more research and checks for accuracy/realism. Players wishing to create very specific made-up diseases are recommended to let the administration know about details beforehand.

Alright, that works for me, thanks!

HOOKHAND

Questions & Help