Re: Character "Endgame" Discussion

POSTED: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 pm

While none of my characters have reached an "endgame" per say, I have hit a point where I just couldn't get the muse for my character. I just couldn't summon enough muse to play Hotaru, but she was neither happy nor settled. I just felt like I couldn't get into her head. As for my happy and settled characters, I tend to be really cruel to them and it does keep my muse up. So... I guess my advice would be beat the living daylight out of character for muse?
Kohaku is dead. I am accepting no more threads for him, but I will finish current ones.
Avatar by Shade, signature by Laura.
Anathema
DEAD
Ariel
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 am

Ayita Catori ht her end game for me. I have been playing her as a character since 2000 not here on souls but in general. She has finally kinda hit her end and had to die for good. She kinda hit the cap of her life a bunch of kids all going their separate ways and one losing her mind.

Amaranth has yet to hit her End game, She's away for now and prlly a long time. She will come back though someday.

Imhotep may hit an Endgame in the next few years if not sooner. He was meant to be something else then what he isand this is very hard for me to play I'm hoping the few months off will allow me to get my head around who he is becoming. because he is to handsome to endgame.
Everyone started out a little insane But we learn pretty quick how to fake it for the game
Anathema
DEAD
Marie
Luperci SoSuWriMo 2012 Champion! Matchmaker: Still a Better Love Story than Twilight with Sky!
Womanizer
Twisted Mistress

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 am

Conflict and tragedy keep characters going for a long time, yes, but character motivation and direction is equally important. A character has to want stuff or want to do stuff.

I've personally always found well-adjusted and optimistic characters pretty boring to play, which is why I'd struggled with Arkham for almost all of his life...despite all kinds of awful crap happening to him. XD But after Laruku, I can also definitely say that a character that literally wants nothing out of life is equally hard to play. Laruku I pretty much had to kill off in the end because he got to the point where he seriously would have just let himself starve to death for apathy. <_<

And direction is the problem I have with Cassandra now too. I dunno what SHE wants to do with her life, so I have a hard time figuring out what I want to do with her.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
kiri is a butthead; avatar by dwudles
commissions are OPEN
'Souls Assemblage
Administrator
Kiri

falling s l o w l y

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:17 am

I hit an end point with Hanna. I couldn't really play her much, and especially not on-board, and so I sent her to live with Leon Austral with their pups. Her kids may eventually make a return, I don't know.
New Dawn
DEAD
Katie
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 am

I've only ever had two other characters on Souls besides Jazper: Giuseppe Trovato who was in AT and Jiya more recently who was a pup in AW.

With Giuseppe I played him for only about a year and he was very VERY selfish. He didn't want anything in life past pure power and independence, which drove him fairly well but in the long run I didn't have the muse to keep up with two characters.

As far as Jiya goes I admittedly made her very difficult for me to play. She was suppose to be very observant and critical in an intelligent manner, and I just couldn't come up with material smart enough XD Furthermore I still didn't have muse for two characters at that time either :|

For Jazzypants I have a long term plan for the next few years for him to develop some early set arthritis due to his size. From here he'll degrade fairly rapidly over a two or three year period and probably die in battle. :/ So ya. *huggles Jazzy* We'll see if I can let him go.

DEAD
Melissa
Luperci Serve and Protect
Knight in Black
Soulja Boy

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 am

Io's getting close to hitting her endgame. But asdffghjjkl I love to too much to drop her. Though there's not much conflict available for her because she's got a responsibility to AniWaya so idek XD

Vida
NOT RUSSIAN
Madam

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh I know this all too well. "Realism" tends to be my motivator for endgames.

With Salvaged it was a combination of time and realism that killed him off. A character can only rape, kill and maim for so long before something gets him. When it came about that I didn't have the time to deal with him anymore it only seemed logical for his mortal enemy to kill him. I do regret it a bit because he was my first proper character but it was better than having him run off and come back a different character. Some of my characters have just of written their own endgame, I feel like I had little say in how their lives trailed off or ended.

Thorn's endgame was supposed to be going back and living in Russia and having the picture perfect life until he got old and died with his happy family around him. He was a good character and I wanted him to be happy as a reward. Then I needed a character to bring back to Souls and so I picked him. Given his age however (11), his lifesyle of partying hard, drinking too much and drugs he needs to die soon. I'm thinking something like cancer will get him in the end, again because of realism. Then his younger, interesting son will take over and perhaps his father's death will help with inspiration for him.

I've never been good at the whole "get a mate, become a leader and have pups" if only because I feel it would make the character boring to me. I prefer crazy characters or characters with vices. Making my very first character Everlasting Soul blind did wonders for my muse and then when I lost the muse he walked off a cliff as an endgame.
Current avatar by Sie.
Vinátta
Hollr (NPC)
Xani
Luperci Brewer Matchmaker: Sexiest Couple with Isabella!

POSTED: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Everyone has such interesting reads about the topic! I really enjoyed reading them.

I've been playing Adonis since he was 4 months old, and I never imagined an end game ideal for him. He's been my "play it out as you go" character since the beginning; I never really plotted anything, and I just let things happen as they happen. As a result, he's had an extremely varied and eventful life, and it's bred a lot of drama and guilt for him as a result. But if I had to think of one for him, it'd probably be resolving the personal crisis he has with himself and/or having some kids to stress about. I don't think the personal issues he has can be swept under the rug completely, but we'll see as time goes on.

POSTED: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:28 am

Wow, this is really old topic (I hadn’t even join ‘Souls yet!) but really interesting so I wanted to bring it up again because I’ve been contemplating the same things. Any oldies have new thoughts formulate over the last two years?
Last edited by Vidar on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Signature by Kiri and Shannon

Hannah
Luperci Carpenter, Leatherworker, Teamster
Navigator of the Roughest Seas

POSTED: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:08 am

The real panic here with 'endgames' is that I don't have any...

Lots of characters right? Each of them different and none of them are ready to settle down. Thoirni's the oldest, but he has such a zest for life and being a ball of attitude that I can't put him down. Other characters feel like they're just getting started in their life and have a lot to achieve yet. I haven't been here that long, but nearly half of my characters I've been playing for a flat out year.

For some, I always imagine a 'courageous' end to them, I feel like Theon, Nero, Thoirni probably, and Delphine all feel like death will be their end game, defending something or someone. Others, I can imagine peacefully retiring at a ripe old age and being content and in love, hopefully-- Taro, Olivia, Snapdragon... Though the others, will probably never be 100% happy, Morty will probably drive herself to exhaustion trying to patch someone up, Laufey trying to find the place he belongs, Marne performing one more experiment, Rusty getting that one last heist. George trying to find a way to be himself without his family over his head. It's hard to imagine putting any of them away right now.

I really haven't gotten to a place with any of my characters other than ones I've had at other roleplay sites. I can recall my first real original character Owlstar settled down nicely enough, but that was after a life of awful events happening to him. He got his mate and they were just together and on their own. I thought he deserved a nice ending. Everyone else though, most of them are still young... plenty of time to pull the rug under their happy existences, more or less happy right now.

End games are for the end and when they're ending, I think I'll be able to find something for each of them.
Olivia Tarasova

Owl
Luperci
wandering heart

Questions & Help