'Souls has a lot of information. It's a side effect of having been a consistently active community for over a decade. This thread seeks to explain the game and guidelines. Please don't be intimidated! Trust us when we say reading this will allow things to go much more smoothly for you. :)
- The Rules. No getting around this one. While we don't expect you to commit these to memory, give them a read. You may benefit from browsing them when you first arrive, and reading them again later.
- The Plot. In order to play in our world, you should have an understanding of what our world is. This contains information relevant to the setting and basic premise of the game.
- Joining Information. This provides the most important info about joining up at 'Souls. Pay careful attention as this is where you'll find our joining application!
Highly Recommended Reads
- The Roleplay Guide. If you're brand new to roleplaying, we recommend you start here -- pay attention to the articles marked "Beginner" articles. Certain portions of the RP Guide will also be highlighted below. There are six sections: characters, behaviour, werewolves, 'Soulsverse, writing, and misc. It includes information about the setting, how to create a character, and helpful grammar rules.
- Werewolf Basics @ the RP Guide. 'Souls features a unique werewolf, the Luperci, and this page covers many of the basics of the Luperci. The Behavior and Life Cycle pages provide more information. If you'd rather not play a Luperci, you can always join as a regular wolf, and there is the option of becoming a Luperci later.
- Joining Thread Archives. If you browse a few of these, you will better understand how the joining process works! Here are some specific examples:
- Joining Example. This shows a normal joining application and provides tips as to how to present your profile or roleplaying examples.
- Writing @ the RP Guide. It is good to remember that 'Souls is, at its core, a writing community. As such, writing well is important to us. We welcome writers of all skill levels, but if you're a beginner, you should definitely check out this page!
- Our roleplaying is done in third-person (he, she; not I), in the past tense (walked, howled; not walks, howls), and most of our posts are between 200-1200 words (2-5 paragraphs). Reply times generally range from less than a day to roughly a week; however, members are encouraged to write what is comfortable for their own pace and ability.
- Our werewolves are not traditional werewolves with a human phase. Through a viral mutation, wolves that are Luperci have the ability to shift to a humanoid two-legged form. Luperci can shift at any time they please, and they do not require the full moon or even night to facilitate shifting.
- Our werewolves DO NOT have a human form!
- Game time is equal to real time: one real day is one 'Souls day, one real year is one 'Souls year. Our world is set today at the current time.
- Humans died out in 1988. As such, your character's history cannot include humans. If you wish to have a more humanized werewolf, you may want to have a character from Eurasia, as more civilized werewolves live in that part of the world.
After you join, you must post within five days of being accepted, or you will be removed! Following that, one post every three weeks is necessary to keep your membership at this site. Failure to meet this bare minimum will result in removal. If you are removed for inactivity, you are welcome to join again. We don't delete accounts, so you can even rejoin as the same character.
- Humans died in 1988, but 'Souls is set in the present day and time (e.g. if it's 2016 in real life, it's 2016 in the game).
- We measure luperci ages in actual years. If your character was born on September 3, 2009, and it is September 4, 2010, your character is one (1) year old. Check the RP Guide for an age/maturity chart.