Re: A bet fulfilled

Damon

POSTED: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Arlen hmphed dramatically at Damon. "I sleep just fine, thank you very much." Arlen typically shared a bed curled up with his siblings. As much as neither of them would admit it, Rem and Len hadn't spent a single night where they weren't curled up next to each other. The idea of sleeping alone was a foreign one to the Stryder boy, and one he didn't think he'd ever try.

Damon continued to finish up his stall, commenting on Arlen's offer. "Flattery will get you everywhere, my friend." At least with Arlen it would. The boy loved all the attention he could get, bad or good, and Damon's words were buttering him up quite nicely. With a sweet smile, he turned and ran back to his house, mind scrambling to think of some kind of food to make. Could he make food?

When he got home, Arlen started scrounging through his family's cupboards, searching for anything that looked like food. What he found was a large stash of things he didn't know what to do with. Sighing to himself for offering something he wasn't sure he could give, Arlen pulled food item after food item onto the table when he heard a sharp rap at the door. "Hey Damon. Do you want a sandwich or a soup or what? I can make breakfast stuff too if you want." He called over his shoulder, expecting the black male to follow his voice to the kitchen.

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Fri May 12, 2017 12:27 am

OOC text here

Well, if Damon had to base Arlen's comeback on facts, he could agree. The nap he'd taken with the red male just yesterday had been very pleasant. He could also attest that Arlen was a snuggler. At first he hadn't known what to do about it, whether he should move away to give the other male space or what. Eventually he'd accepted the casual closeness and drifted into his own slumber. Going to sleep that night in the corner of his mother's bedroom had felt different after that. He'd slept with his mother as a pup, of course, same with his sister, but that had been different, they were family. The furs hadn't felt quite as comfy as they usually did.

The black male shook his head to refocus his thoughts on his task, shooting a grin toward Arlen. "Yeah yeah." he chimed agreeably. He chuckled, his grin turning a little more devilishly charming. "It got me a great friend and free food so far, I wonder what else I could get." he teased toward the Stryder's retreating back. His chores completed quickly, he went to join Arlen at his place.

After he announced his presence, the red male's voice beckoned Damon inside. "Well, I know you've got the eggs for breakfast stuff." he'd helped Arlen gather them just yesterday afterall. "I can run to my place for some cooking herbs and by Isaac's for some meat cubes to add into the mixture, or something similar." he'd caught onto the basics of cooking from his mother and had a decent knack for it; he'd taken over main kitchen duty in his mother's house, unless he happened to be busy.

Amoris

POSTED: Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 am

Arlen nodded along to Damon's advice. "Make like an omelette or something? Yeah, we can do that." He paused, hands on hips as he looked upon all he had to work with. He sighed. Cooking was not his strong suit, but hey. We all have to be bad at something. "Alright, you run and get whatever it is you're thinking of putting in and I'll get everything started."

As the older male left, Arlen turned towards his duty. He picked up the basket he had used the day before and counted the eggs that still remain. One, two, three... Twelve eggs would be more than enough for even a full grown man and a growing boy, right? He set the basket down on the counter and turned towards the fire he'd use to cook on. Stoking it with more wood, he fed the fire till it grew hot to be near.

A bowl, a fork, some eggs, some herbs. This is what you put in an omelette, right? Oh Fenris, he didn't know what he was doing. He laid out all he thought he needed to work with to buy him some time. Damon was clearly the more experienced cook of the two. Waiting until he heard the door open once more, he again called out. "So how many eggs do you want?" One by one he cracked eggs and watched as they splatted in the bottom of the bowl.

"I don't think I know how to make this very well, you're gonna have to help me." His face held only a little of it's usual mirth. Now, he looked serious almost... and almost like Lyris. It was amazing the difference an expression could make in a face. "So do I cook the eggs then add the herbs and meat or do I add and then cook?" He'd already beaten the eggs to a decent consistency. That much he already knew.

OOC - Poor Arlen's in way over his head XD

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 21, 2017 4:42 pm

OOC Only a little. Damon to the rescue! XD

Arlen's agreement came readily enough. Ruby orbs watched Arlen in mild amusement as the red Stryder looked around his cooking space. Damon saluted the other male with a grin and a wink. "Be back in a flash, then." he ducked outside once more and trotted first to his mother's house. She wasn't inside, neither were his sister or Rurik, so the black merely checked the jars in Veri's storage for the ones he knew to be edible and taste good. He found basil, thyme, a couple others, and gathered them in his hands carefully. Next stop; Isaac's. The butcher didn't look surprised to see him and fulfilled Damon's meat request quickly.

Now a handful of bottled herbs in one hand and a brown paper wrapped package of cubed meat in the other, he headed back to Arlen's place. Instead of announcing his returned presence he merely pushed the door open, instantly met by the sound of a question. He joined Arlen in the kitchen to survey the other's preparation of the food. Damon was a big man, but his breakfast still hung around from earlier, so he could downsize a little. Normally he could eat all twelve himself on an empty stomach. "Six should do it. That's half for you and half for me, if that's alright."

Arlen's admission didn't come as a surprise to the older male; he hadn't missed the dubious expression on their face earlier as they looked about the kitchen. It didn't faze the ruby eyed wolf, however. "No problem man, we got this." to answer the Stryder male, Damon set his packaged meat on the counter and unwrapped it to revealed the cubed pieces of meat. "Actually you'll wanna do these first. It takes a bit longer to cook than eggs, so the eggs would burn a little." wolves, of course, could forego the cooked meat and simply add it in nearly raw, but cooked meat had a little more flavor. "Once those are browned on the outside, then you add the seasoned eggs ontop and let it sit for a couple minutes to firm up." all he gave to help, however, were his words. He left the actions to Arlen for now.

Amoris

POSTED: Sun May 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Arlen breathed a soft sigh of relief. Damon seemed to know exactly what to do. He nodded along to the make's instructions, being quiet for once in his life. Occasionally, he let out a soft, "hmm" of thought or affirmation. He gently placed the meat of his heated pan. The sizzles and smells of it filled the air around them as Arlen placed the bowl full of eggs on one hip, holding it tight with a single hand. With the other, he rifled through the herbs Damon had brought.

After realizing that he wasn't going to be able to do it with one hand, he sat down the bowl. He pulled herb after herb to his nose, trying to place scent to taste. After figuring out which herb was which, he pointed to them and asked "How small should I cut them? Or should I just crush them?" He'd seen his mother crushed dried herbs over a pot once.

One he got his answer, he would set to it seriously, occasionally turning to check or turn the meat, before tossing them into his bowl. Arlen then pulled the bowl back to his hip and held it slanted while he whisked the eggs and herbs together. He checked the meat once more before showing it to Damon. "Is now good?"

When the eggs hit the pan, they popped loudly on the hot metal. The scent of meat mixed with egg and spices. Arlen inhaled deeply before smiling to his friend. Tail wagging, he grinned brightly at him. "It's making my stomach growl."

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm

With his advice taken readily, Damon stood back and allowed Arlen to do his work. Ruby eyes followed the younger male as they identified all the herbs he'd grabbed and proceeded to ask how to prepare them. The dark male lifted his white marked hand to point to various different plants while he answered. "Most of these give better flavor when they're chopped to pieces. Crushing them makes the juice, and flavor, leak out and go to waste, if there are any." his response given, the Second Cadet dropped his hand to watched as Arlen carried out his instructions carefully and added the herbs to the eggs.

Damon couldn't help a sniff of appreciation toward the meat, his mouth watering a little from the scent. His tail began to wag once it was time to mix them together. He gave an affirmative nod to his red furred friend and watched as Arlen poured the eggs into the pan, inhaling the wonderful smells deeply. "Yeah, same here." he agreed, his tail going faster as he returned their smile. "It should be done soon. Eggs don't take that long to cook when they're scrambled like that."

Amoris

POSTED: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 am

Piece by piece, the meal was formed. It amazed the boy, still young, to watch his food cook beneath his own hands. He'd watched his parents cook before, but never had he really tried it on his own. I think I might ask someone to teach me how to cook more... Maybe Isaac could teach him how. That could be fun.

At Damon's words, he united the two foods and watched meat get engulfed by the stiffening egg. It was an interesting process to watch, to say the least. "Hey, do you know why the egg changes like that when it's cooked?" He couldn't help asking his endless questions. Perhaps it was indicative of his age, but he always wanted to know. "Coz stuff like soups... They're liquids too but they don't harden up when they cook like eggs do."

He waited again for his friend's word before he flipped the egg concoction out of its pan and onto a pair of plates that lay waiting. He smiled at Damon sweetly before announcing, "If this tastes awful, I blame you." And with that, he led Damon out into the living room where they could sit and eat in peace.

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm

OOC here

Arlen's out of the blue question caused his previously wagging tail to pause for a moment out of thought. "No actually. I bet there's a book on it somewhere though." he supplied with a shrug of his shoulders. "Whatever the reason it does, it sure looks and smells delicious when cooked like this." he hoped that encouraged the other as the meal was placed onto separate plates for each of them to use. Damon gratefully took his portion with a roguish stuck out tongue.

"Bah, my instructions were flawless, you manipulated the cookware." he jibed playfully, poking the red male in the ribs as he followed them into the living room. The large male got comfortable before he picked up a cube of meat between his claws and popped it into his mouth. His teeth made short work of the egg encased morsel, but his tastebuds told him a story. A dark nose scrunched just a little as the flavored absorbed more into his mouth. It wasn't....bad. But it wasn't mouthwateringly good either. The meat and the herbs did a good job of saving it; it was bearable, he could eat all of it and probably feel fine later.

Damon swallowed and smiled at Arlen encouragingly. "Hey man, it's not that bad. I'm not gagging at least. Now if you asked Isobel to cook, you couldn't be in the same room as the concoction she came up with. Even calling it edible is a stretch." he chuckled quietly, a fond smile on his lips. He loved his sister but she couldn't cook to save a life. A tickling sensation prodded at the back of his mind, like he'd forgotten something again. The edges of his smile turned down a fraction as he tried to recall, but nothing came to mind. Must not have been that important. He shrugged off the feeling and took another, slighter bigger bite. If he was anything, he was hungry.

"After this are we hitting the racetrack like we planned?" just to make sure no other plans had cropped up or Arlen had changed his mind.

Amoris

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:37 am

Arlen Stryder

Hmm, I'll have to ask Myra. She spends a lot of time in the library; she'd probably know. Myra always seemed to know everything. At the very least, she acted it, though he suspected that was just a symptom of being the youngest of the litter. She'd always been smaller and weaker than the rest of them, she had to have something to her name. Might as well be a know-it-all.

No, your 'instructions' were vague, and my 'manipulation' of the cookware was under your orders. Arlen began to hmph dramatically when a sharp jab to the ribs made him flinch and yelp all at once. Blood rushing to his face, he pointed an accusing finger at his friend. No tickling when I have a plate full of food you jerk! Before Damon could retaliate, Arlen danced around him and jumped into the couch quickly shoving himself into a corner and shielding himself with raised knees.

His green eyes locked onto Damon's face, watching for a reaction when he took a bite and took in the tiny nose scrunch. Sighing dejectedly, he began to taste it himself and grimaced in horror at what he found. Good lord man you have a stomach of steel. Wincing at him, he couldn't help but apologize for making a loved one eat such a thing, but also just what had this poor man eaten that was so bad that this didn't hardly faze him? And she actually expects you to eat it? How are you all still alive?

Despite his complaints towards his own cooking, he continued to eat it. It wasn't the tastiest but hey, food is food. Yeah, I'm still up for it. Might not wanna go right after eating this though... He could just see one of them getting sick all over the race track. It would be a miserable situation all around and best to avoid if at all possible.

OOC || WC 000+

Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:52 pm

OOC here

Damon's agreement about Myra's possible knowledge came was the ease of someone who's mother mentored said person, but also with confidence that the Stryder man knew his sister. A snort was the only reply he bothered to give, aside from his jibe to the ribs...and maybe another partially stuck out tongue. The large male's shoulder shook with chortles at Arlen's reaction to being poked, as well as the rather well performed evasion which led to a rather defensively situated red male on one end of the couch.

Damon laughed quietly through another few cubes of meat he'd tossed into his maw. "Nah, even she knows it's rubbish and not worth the risk of getting sick. But Mom, well...she doesn't like waste." maybe it was just a pup thing, to be wary of their own mother, but if he had to make a comparison on who he'd rather be on the bad side with, he'd pick Lyris over Veri any day of the week. Such a statement would most likely blow Arlen's mind. "I mean, not cruel. She doesn't want us ill. But whatever mistakes we make in the kitchen she makes us eat at least a few bites from."

In the hopes of making them learn from them and to not waste the supplies they had on hand. Ruby orbs glanced down to his plate then back to Arlen's face. "It's not the worst thing I've eaten, and it's not so bad it can't be salvaged." a shrug of his shoulders conveyed he didn't mind a pause between lunch and their workout. He took another mouthful of food. "Sounds good, I need to run by my place and grab my sword anyways. Not using it for anything, but moving and exercising with your weapon helps you get more used to it's presence. Or something like that. It works. I barely notice mine anymore. You're welcome to come with me." that said, he tossed back the second to last mouthful, just hungry enough from the chores they'd done earlier to be willing to lick his plate clean when it came to the last bite.

Amoris

Canon