fool me twice, shame on me

POSTED: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:44 am

Boy, he'd sure stepped in it this time, except that it was a woman and he hadn't stepped in her persay (well, in a manner of speaking?) Okay, now he just wasn't making sense, did his mind have to be so literal? He frowned. He supposed it was foolish to expect anything other than empty furs.

The apple, though, that was too much. He glared at it --just sitting there taunting him, the flesh that she'd bitten into slowly turning brown in the morning's light. "Oh, she's clever." He snarked, annoyed. I bit it alright. Come to think of it...Yeah, he did. Alistair smirked at the thought of Hyacinth trying to explain the teeth marks. He'd made sure those weren't going to go away any time soon.

The bastard couldn't let her off totally unscathed, could he? They were enemies.

He sat up, cast about, and tried not to look at the apple. "Oh, blast it." He uttered and got up to snatch it off the ground. The rest of it was still crisp and the juices seeped into his fur as he noisily finished it off- tossing the core. He gathered his bag and loaded it into Merlin's saddle bag.

The gelding was looking away, ignoring him entirely. He snorted when Alistair mounted. Alistair leaned trying to catch the horse's eye but Merlin turned his head in the opposite direction. Alistair sighed, "So you're just going to ignore me now?" Suppose I deserve it. He palmed his face and rubbed his eyes. He tapped his heels into the gelding's sides and headed back to camp where he was sure a very upset Atalanta would be waiting for him.

Wait...Atalanta! He knew he'd forgotten something! "Shit." He was supposed to be bringing dinner...hours ago, yesterday. And instead, he'd..."Shit. Shit. Shit."

He dismounted before the copse of trees, his ears twitching. Atalanta's bow made this sound when it was strung, a sort of twang he'd come to rely on. He wasn't thrilled to hear it now...

His hand half-reached for his shield, but he thought against it. She wouldn't attack him...would she?

Merlin whinnied as if to draw attention to Alistair as he stalked into camp. His eyes flicked to Merlin briefly and he frowned. He approached Ata like one might a great cat, tentative and slow. "It's, er not too late for dinner, is it?" He held up the bag, which he'd taken from Merlin's saddlebag. With any luck he could use it as a shield.

Alistair Callow

Stormie
Luperci SoSuWriMo 2013 Champ! have you ever licked a lamppost in winter...?
I am the Sword
the Light
and the Shield

POSTED: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 am

Atalanta strung the bow with quick, practiced motions and tested the sinew, satisfied by the tension in the weapon. She was expressionless as she did so, her mouth set in a thin line, her eyes focused on the task at hand. The wood creaked softly, and her ears flickered at the soft plod of feet—or hooves—in the wood, and a whinny of greeting from the dark gelding. She lifted her pale eyes and rose to her feet, staring at the knight.

He approached her tentatively, with his usual awkward stammer, guilt all over him.

She looked at him a moment more, then turned back to her bow. “It’s fine, I’m not hungry,” she said, and ran her hand down the sinew string one more time to check for brittleness and fraying, then shouldered the bow.

As she did so, she hesitated. And it was the calm before the storm.

Ata had always been girlish, clinging to what youth remained, as part of her personality. But now, at over six years old, she had few excuses for that behavior—which included the bad with all the good: the vindictiveness, the flightiness, the insecurities. It was the latter that beat on her head today, as she remembered her last serious conversation with the knight, how she’d confessed to him the vow she’d taken long ago.

She was afraid, she’d said, of being tied down. Of being nothing more than someone’s mate or someones’ mother, no longer her own person. She explained how much she valued freedom; nothing else mattered to her. She had explained that before, in Casa di Cavalieri, and recalled his expression then, and his expression now. She’d scared him off, she thought, and that lonely night reflected that maybe that was all he’d wanted from her. It was stupid to think that they could just be friends. She hadn’t managed that with anyone.

Then her nostrils flared, and Ata glanced at him sharply. His mussed hair, his scent.

“What have you been doing?” the archer asked.

POSTED: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Atalanta, checking the string of her bow gave an answer he probably should have been expecting and it was...not good. Alistair was old enough to know that whenever a woman said they were 'fine,' they really, really weren't. "Uh-oh." He uttered with his usual charm. "About how much trouble would you say I'm in, exactly?" He made an attempt at a playful grin. It was probably best to tread carefully here.

He set the bag down once she shouldered the bow, he wouldn't be needing a shield after all. Atalanta wasn't Lola she had that going for her, and a lot of other things he wasn't going to mention now. Maybe later once she'd calmed down.

He returned to Merlin and began working at the buckles of his saddle pondering just what to say. Atalanta did away with what was shaping up to be a cleverly worded explanation when she cast him a severe and sudden look. "I, no one! I mean- nothing! I mean..." He sighed and placed his forehead in his palm. "I can explain." Somehow.

He slowly began to close the gap between them, watching her somewhat warily as he did so, and stopped a few steps short. "So you know I'm an idiot, right?" It was a rhetorical question, but he'd gracefully accept any additions on her part. "That whole 'captured by Salsola' thing - I might have left out just a minor detail." Uh, how did he say this..." "There was a woman involved. Technically, I met her before that, but, anyway she was the one that turned me in." He kept his eyes trained on her face and braced himself for her reaction. "I ran into her, yesterday, and...er- well I'm sure you have a good idea what happened. Again. Idiot."

He sighed again and rubbed his forehead glancing at her beneath his fingers. "I should have come back to camp, I just- she makes me so-" He growled. "I hate her, I hate everything about her..." He frowned. "Maybe it's because I hate her that things just sort of, happen."

"In any case, I’m sorry. I kept you waiting. It was stupid of me." His eyes were sincere and sought hers. "Think you can forgive me?" He held out his hand.

Alistair Callow

Stormie
Luperci SoSuWriMo 2013 Champ! have you ever licked a lamppost in winter...?
I am the Sword
the Light
and the Shield

Canon