victory gave us such insane delusions of grandeur

POSTED: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:23 pm

SoSu: 502
For the Blood and Wine plot~

Ugh, it stinks out here.

That's only because the tide is out – just wait, you won't smell it very long.

The brown coyote gave a breathy snort, and folded his bulky arms over his chest. He looked miserable for someone who had volunteered to join this expedition, but when he bent over to pick up an interesting looking piece of driftwood his scowl lessened.

You sure know a lot about water for someone from a desert, Osprey retorted, tossing aside the wood as he discovered it too supple for his craft.

You came from a desert? The woman with them asked, clearly aiming to stop what seemed to be the beginnings of an argument. Though his scowl lessened under her sky-blue gaze, Conrad only gave a short nod before muttering something about “going to look ahead”.

This was, Antioch decided, possibly the worst decision he had ever made.

It had begun innocuously enough when Conrad, in the midst of a training session with his fellow Bellum, had mentioned the islands. Though he had seen them from a distance, Antioch had never given them much thought – and neither did anyone else, it seemed, though Conrad seemed eager to explore them. Why he had decided now, in the depths of winter, to do such a thing was beyond Antioch.

So it had surprised him when, days later, Conrad had asked him if he wanted to go – “just in case”, the dark coyote said, and would not speculate on why.

A group had formed over this time, including Osprey (who had resumed his hunt for interesting driftwood), a newcomer that Antioch did not recognize, and a doggish looking man who was nevertheless a Lykoi. Having little experience with things like tides and mysterious islands, Antioch had tagged along at Conrad's request. He secretly agreed that it made far more sense to take warriors to an abandoned island, even if he thought it absolutely absurd to do so when it was so cold.

There had been no ice on the exposed sea-bed as they crossed it, only collections of rocks and weeds that stunk like salt. It had clung to his paws, irritating them, but this was the least of Antioch's concerns.

Osprey, though he was trying very hard to hide it, was starting to limp rather badly. He kept stopping, picking up wood that was obviously wet or warped, only to throw it into the empty Bay. The woman – who had introduced herself as Denise – was bundled up in long garments and kept rubbing her nose. Antioch wondered if the smell was bothering her too, but said nothing of it. She was nice enough, and obviously eager to better know the people and the land.

Anitoch watched the rocky cliff-side that Conrad had vanished around, but kept his attention half-focused on the others. The coydog was of particular interest, given his unusual appearance, and Antioch's gaze lingered on him longer than was appropriate when he thought no one was looking.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
signature art by Songbird
Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:00 pm

The only reason Saut had joined the expedition was so he might learn more about Inferni's newcomer. He'd been standing near her, wanting to approach and introduce himself, when Conrad and a large Secui male (Lykoi, he realized, upon seeing the tattoo) padded past. A lighter man he recognized (Saut thought his name was Eagle) trailed a little behind them, and there seemed to be some direction to their march. Their presence whisked the light woman's attention away, though the monochrome boy had not truly had her attention yet, anyway.

When she made the decision to accompany them to the island, he'd simply...followed. He had nothing better to do with himself, and the others didn't seem to take any notice of him, at least for a while.

Now, on the sea-bed, the hybrid Asylum's interest had piqued, and he walked a little behind the man he thought was Eagle so he could pick up and examine the various pieces of driftwood he discarded. He wore an overlarge jacket that dipped into the mud each time he stooped over, and a tattered scarf he'd taken from Kaena's pile of belongings. The smell didn't bother him, but the wind cut through the thin boy like a blade of ice, and he shivered each time it picked up.

“The tide won't come back in while we're here, will it?” He muttered into the air for anyone who wanted to answer, though the “expert” of the group had disappeared up ahead. It was the first time he'd spoken along the way. Amber sights turned towards the woman, then the great male on four legs.

They weren't far from the group of islands, but the last thing Saut wanted was to find himself stuck on one for the night. Quickening his steps, he hurried passed Eagle (entirely oblivious to the male's limp) and brought himself abreast of the crimson-eyed warrior. For a while more he walked in silence, but as they rounded the bend where they'd last seen Conrad, he figured he might as well try and get to know the female. He'd intended to ask her name, but in the last second he chickened out and instead asked of the other Lykoi, “What are we looking for?”

(373) Let me know if you'd like something changed. Also, I haven't had a thread with someone that included NPCs before - do we both write out their movements/speech, or would it just be you, since you started? :>

POSTED: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:15 am

SoSu: 239
They're pNPCs so we can both use them! :D

The coydog approached him and Antioch, self-conscious about his staring, fanned his ears back and then forward before answering truthfully.

I don't know, he said, and glanced over his shoulder towards where Conrad had gone. He said he saw something here, or thought he did.

Antioch had considered, briefly, that these places might have been inhabited. This had been something he had reasoned impossible, for it would mean that someone had slipped under Inferni's radar. It would take someone who desired exceptional solitude to stay out on the islands, which hardly looked like they could support anything bigger than sea-birds and whatever vermin had, inevitably, wound up on them.

If the water comes back, Osprey interjected, catching up to the group and looking more irritable for it. We'll just have to wait for it to go back out. Unless you'd rather swim, he huffed, and followed after Conrad's trail.

It's too cold to swim, Denise commented, only half-listening, and then giggled to herself. Je veux dire, bien sûr, it's too cold to swim.

Her odd words made Antioch's ears twitch, though he reasoned these were some sort of funny foreign language as opposed to anything demonic. He glanced upwards, suddenly wishing they had thought to bring a raven or two, and then looked back to the coydog. They were close in age, though breeding and life experiences had produced stark differences between the two.

What's your name? He asked.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Saut followed the Secui's gaze and sniffed. “Huh. Hope it's worth it.” He wrapped his arms around himself.

Within the next minute the monochrome hybrid became aware of the staring, but instead of feeling annoyed as he normally might he felt a slight thrill at the attention. He snuck a few looks of his own, watching the bunching and stretching of the male's muscles which could only have been built with intent. The Lykoi star blurred in his peripheral vision, and he wondered how two members of the same family could look so painfully different. Saut lifted an arm and appraised his own muscles. He frowned.

The tall man moved closer to the thick coyote as “Eagle” caught up and then pushed past. “Let's not swim,” he agreed after the strange woman had offered her own input, and he quickened his pace. The lighter-furred Infernian spoke to him and he gave a doggish wag of his tail.

“Saut,” he offered. “Asylum. What's yours?”

The woman meandered to their right, wiping her nose. Voices up ahead grew louder as the trio neared Osprey and Conrad. The breeze picked up again and Saut tugged at his scarf. "How do we get up?"

POSTED: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

haha i am useless :')

Saut looked like his brother.

Well, this was only partially true. He looked like Nex if Nex had been pulled from all ends and stretched long. It was an absurd idea. Nex had brown on his legs and brown eyes, though this was besides the point.

They were both skinny.

Antioch sighed again and peered up at the unfriendly hillside. Conrad had presumably found a path, and Osprey seemed like he had an idea as to where to go, so he trailed after them as the French woman had done. He was content with his position towards the rear. It had always been easier to keep an eye on his various siblings when he let the run ahead, though there had never been a time when they were truly alone. His parents, doing the Lord's command, had gone forth and multiplied.

I'm Antioch, the coyote responded, then almost as an afterthought added: de le Poer. He cast a glance behind them to reassure himself that the water was not returning. I'm a Bellum. What do you do?

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 am

They were about halfway up the hill when Saut realized that the French woman was not doing well.

“I, ah...” he began, only half-registering what Antioch had said. “Tirones.” Denise's breaths were coming in short, heavy puffs, and every few seconds she sniffed in a way that made Saut think she may be ill. But then he realized his own nose was running, and he wiped it again on his forearm. Perhaps he and the other coyotes were just in better shape than this newcomer, for whatever reason.

“I'd like to be a Sciens,” he finished, concern mostly gone. The lanky hybrid glanced back over his shoulder when it finally clicked which family this buff male was born to. A brother of Crucifix, then. One of the vehemently religious siblings. This one seemed a far cry from his demure sister, though. Saut offered him a small smile before turning around again.

The woman ahead of him disappeared over a small rise, and then the Asylum pulled himself over it to see a largely empty landscape with a few short, unimpressive trees. Towards the center of it was a small cluster of wooden shacks, most of which leaned slightly and looked a little precarious. Saut's ears perked and he trotted ahead of the others, who had slowed to take everything in. The one nearest to him was the largest – he moved towards it, then stopped. “Should we go inside?”

No worries! <3 Also I think he was still a Tirones back in this thread? Not sure. :I

POSTED: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm

go go npcs!

The woman was breathing heavily – sometimes through her mouth and sometimes through her nose – but Antioch dismissed this as weakness as opposed to sickness. She was new, and loners suffered things like hunger and wariness. For the short time between his family and Inferni, a younger Antioch had gotten attacked more than once and had scars to prove it. He understood the need for a group, especially when he considered his little sister or the elder, sickly one.

Are you fast? Antioch asked, examining the man's lanky legs. You look like you would be fast.

He probably couldn't fight too well, the Bellum presumed. He probably had a long reach, but he didn't look very strong. Certainly, the coydog had a big mouth – it wasn't like a wolf's mouth, but oddly long. A truly peculiar dog had spawned his ancestors.

Shacks was a nice way of describing the pathetic looking structures, for they were so weathered that their wood had turned gray. Antioch, recalling his incident at the pass, fanned his ears back and frowned.

I'm not going inside.

What, are you afraid of some wood? Osprey snorted, and glanced towards Conrad.

The darker coyote finally looked away from Denise, and narrowed his orange eyes at his clanmate's challenging expression.

Of course not, he huffed, and moved towards the one they had gathered around.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:13 am

Saut pulled his legs together so he stood straight and was not slouching. It was with a small, prideful raise of his tail that he said, “I am.” He was pleased that others were able to tell, because there was not much else in his appearance to be admired by the coyotes.

Although he cared little for the “spirit of adventure,” as it were, the lanky Asylum appreciated small journeys for the sake of the treasure that might be found at the end of them. The dilapidated wooden structures did not look promising from the exterior, but the possibility of objects worth taking was high (or, so he figured). Saut moved closer to the entrance as the others bickered. The door was hanging off its hinge, and barely classifiable as a door. The frame was warped, and leaned to the right with the rest of the shack, but the Sciens judged it safe, so long as he didn't bump into the sides as he entered.

Glancing backwards to see Conrad following him, Saut grinned at the ones who had decided to stay outside. “We get first dibs on the stuff inside, then,” he joked, and then slipped into the darkness. The dark-furred man entered a few seconds after.

It was difficult to see in the gloam, but light enough flooded through the numerous cracks and holes in the roof that Saut's eyes quickly adjusted. He moved carefully among a few crates, wondering what they held, and stepped carefully over an overturned stool. The place smelled of salt and old fish and, faintly, something older and more unfamiliar. Creepy.

“Over here,” called the other coyote in a hushed tone, which seemed appropriate for the space. The russet-nosed man crossed the shack, ducking beneath rotted nets which hung from the ceiling. Conrad had opened one of the crates, and was on his knees next to it, looking in with a perplexed expression on his face.

One of the nets had fallen, recently or a long time ago. In his excitement, Saut did not notice it, and the claws of his right foot got caught in the frayed rope. His hands whipped out to grasp something to catch himself before he fell and connected loudly with a supporting beam. Crack.

Amber eyes locked with fiery orange ones, and then the building began to shower down upon the Infernians.

(+300)

POSTED: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:28 am

rip shack

Because his work was based in physical things, Antioch measured against what he knew. There was a difference between bodies much as their was a difference between abilities. Gauging by his own merits, which included brute strength and stamina, Antioch could only surmise that someone so tall and gangly had to be fast – if he was not, he surely had squandered his God-given abilities.

Pleased as he was by his own cleverness, Antioch remained scowling and hunched at the shoulders as the two men entered the building.

Denise sneezed.

Something inside the structure gave a great crack, like the breaking of bone, and Antioch's fur stood on end. He recalled the landslide a heartbeat too late, for by then there was a great rush of air and dust and the noise grew upon itself. Endless, full of wooden groans and the now-and-again sound of breaking glass, Antioch heard above this a woman scream with terror.

Neither he nor Osprey said anything, for one was paralyzed with fear and the other hesitated purposefully.

All of this happened in an instant, and when it was over Antioch finally came to his senses and ran forward.

Hey! Hey can you guys hear me!?

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 am

Saut's mind turned off, and his body acted of its own accord when it dodged the collapsing beam and launched itself towards the quickly-falling entrance. A clawing hand grabbed at his arm and wrenched him back, and his amber sights caught a final glimpse of daylight before the wall heaved inward and the two Infernians were knocked off their feet.

The lanky coymutt's air left him as he fell flat upon his back, and Conrad's hand was ripped from him as the other man was knocked sideways by more falling debris. Saut struggled to breathe and lifted an arm to shield his face from a few final beams that were coming down with the ceiling. The weight of it forced his limb back to the floor, and he shrieked in pain and shock as something in his arm seemed to snap. Pressing himself nearer to the beam, the grey Asylum trembled and wheezed and waited for the mass of wood and dust to settle.

He could see blue in his periphery – the sky.

A groan somewhere to the hybrid's left forced him to think again. Saut tried to turn towards the sound, but his arm was pinned beneath the beam and, though it shifted as he did, he was in too much pain to try and lift with his other arm. His heart pounded noisily in his ears, and he almost didn't hear Antioch's shout.

“Antioch!” he called back, voice thin and strained. Dust entered his lungs with his next breath and he began to cough.

“I-I'm stuck,” Saut whimpered between coughs, barely loud enough to hear.

:'<

Dead Topics