Re: And not many days after the younger son gathered all tog

[AW; Prompt #2]

POSTED: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm

314 Words
Prodigal de le Poer
carry on my wayward son

Silence was surprised when the woman got up and confronted their brother. They weren't used to anyone standing up to Prod and saying anything to him. Most just put up with Prod's attitude or just kept their distance. Besides, the woman didn't seem the type that would risk a confrontation either, which made it even more surprising.

"You don't know a thing about them." Prodigal responded and tossed his head in Silence's direction. "How about the fact that they are constantly annoying and doesn't know how to shut up? Or they purposely say things to piss me off? What about the fact that they conspired against me and drugged me?" Prodigal had a whole list of complaints against his sibling. Sure, Prod was gruff but you knew exactly what you were getting with him. Silence was the polar opposite. You knew just where you stood with Prod though the same couldn't be said for Silence as they tended to not let their exact feelings show.

"It was for your own good." Silence defended themselves quietly against the charge of having drugged their brother. A few more drops of water were added to the whetstone and worked into the surface. "Here. Try again. It should work better now that the stone is wet again." Silence tried to diver the attention from their brother and back to the task at hand. They were trying to diffuse the tension and possible conflict.

"You think I would look like this if I didn't fight?" Prodigal had no illusions about what he looked like. And so he acted the way he looked. Of course Dove hadn't really questioned his ability to fight but just to save someone. And he couldn't exactly counter that. He hadn't been able to save his mate and it ate at him. His outlook and attitude had changed after that, as well as his name.

POSTED: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Defensive as to be expected, Prodigal returned with a list of complaints against Silence, some subjective and some realistically questionable. His sibling took on no shame against such accusations but assumed an argument much quieter than their overbearing brother, then attempted to return to their lesson on sharpening. Dove nodded to them but didn't return. She breathed in deep to steasy herself, then connected eyes undaunted with Prodigal.

"Yeah, I would. My dad's covered in scars like that. He doesn't really fight, he helps people. But unlike you, he's nice." Dove shook her head, pitying them. "You two are toxic to each other. Poison."

Poison, as Dove was poison to River Lark. The poison that might have gotten him killed.

Dismissing it as Silence seemed to desire, Dove settled back in at their side and pressed damp whetstone to rusty blade over and over, grateful for the sound to fill the room. She needed sleep, she decided. On an ordinary day, a confrontation such as that never would have happened so soon.

Adopt one of Dove's traumatized happy-flower-siblings: Mint, Gust, and River!
Inferni
Tirones
Lin
Luperci Falconer, Huntsman Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm

300 Words
Prodigal de le Poer
carry on my wayward son

"I never claimed to be nice." Prodigal shot back. Silence hadn't even vouched for that much for him either. "I do what I have to do and that's it. You don't have to like me. I don't give a shit if any one likes me. It doesn't bother me any." He huffed out the words and laid down where he was at, growing tired from standing on three limbs only. His weight was leaned onto his right side to keep it off his left side. It was awkward but he worried still about jostling his left shoulder as if that would cause it to be injured again.

"Penny's not really all that bad." Silence continued to speak quietly. They glanced over to their brother then looked back to Dove. They made to lean in towards the woman in order to whisper to her. "He hasn't been the same since he watched his mate get killed. His kids are out there someone and he has no idea where." Silence was still trying to stick up for their brother. They were trying to explain away their brother's attitude and garner sympathy for him.

Silence smiled when Dove sat back down for the lesson. "You have to wet it every so often. It makes it easier for the blade to slide against it." They remarked as they had forgotten about that bit of the lesson before. "If you want to keep this up then I can go out and try to find you one too then you can practice all by yourself whenever you want." The offer was made but the copper colored male had no idea if she would actually take it or not. They were still trying to keep the focus off their brother and on to something else entirely instead.

POSTED: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Perhaps fade out soon?

Her point hadn’t gotten across to Prodigal. Fine. Whatever.

Dove grimaced as she sharpened the rusty knife beside Silence, stewing as one stews on fickle things when one has not the sleep and capacity to move on. Perhaps sensing it Silence leaned and whispered to her rationale behind their brother’s behavior, initially interpreted by Dove as excuses. Reasonable excuses. Excuses one might give to avoid further conflict, when one deals with a confrontational sibling at all hours of the day.

She looked at Silence and saw River Lark looking back at her, and that was that.

Quiet, Dove alternated between wetting the blade as instructed and sharpening, making meager but visible progress. She pursed her lips as if impressed with herself, then squinted scratchy eyes at the blade and realized her vision becoming foggy with details due to exhaustion. Silence offered to find another blade for Dove to practice with and the young Reverie nodded. “Yeah, that sounds good. Let me go with you.”

She cast a look upon Prodigal, hardly conniving, as if to say without words that he was getting a break from his sibling. And Silence, of course, would be getting one too.

Dove showed them progress on the rusting blade then stood, offering a hand to help the other up. “I’ve never been in here before today. Can you show me where everything is?”

Adopt one of Dove's traumatized happy-flower-siblings: Mint, Gust, and River!
Inferni
Tirones
Lin
Luperci Falconer, Huntsman Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:42 pm

385 Words; Sure, whenever you want.
Prodigal de le Poer
carry on my wayward son

Silence watched the woman work with the knife. They grinned proudly as they saw that some amount of progress was made. It was slow going but that was just the way of things. Even Silence, with all of their experience, took a great deal of time just working on one piece. Something small could easily take them from a half hour to an hour. And of course larger pieces would take them far longer than that.

"Look at that. You are going to have an edge on that soon enough." Of course that would be only on one side and then there would still be the other side to work on. But it wasn't like this particular knife needed to be prime. It wouldn't really be good for much. Maybe cutting rope or something? Either way it wasn't likely that anyone would come looking for this particular knife for anything important.

"Right now?" They sounded surprised that they would be joined on such an expedition. "I don't know where to find another one so I will have to look all over. That one belongs to me, I brought it. Maybe the city will have one, you think?" Silence didn't realize that the woman had another knife in mind when they had been referring to the whetstone.

"You need to clean this shit up before you go anywhere." Prodigal butted in. "But I'm not done with it yet. I still need to sharpen everything before I can put it away." Silence argued back. "Or you could put back everything but what you are working on and just have one thing out at a time." "But what about if I forget what I already done?" "How can you forget when it would already be sharp?"

Silence frowned at the hand that was offered to them. "You said not to touch you." The confusion that they felt has made known by their words. Silence didn't know if this was some sort of test to see they remembered what they were told or not. "Well right now everything is out here." Silence said with a laugh. They pushed themselves up from the floor and stood. They took the time to dust themselves off before heading into the storage room to show Dove where he had pulled everything out from.

Dead Topics