[m] afraid you might return for more

POSTED: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

She had left Solomon in the stables - a place that as soon as she had shown it to him it was as if he released a pent up breath that he hadn't realized he was holding in. Everything about the stable was wonderfully familiar, and he immediately settled into a rhythm of checking the animals and speaking to them in his native tongue. Odalis had stayed only for a short time before realizing that this was to be Solomons place - just as the Library had become hers.

She had quietly saddled Bardi and set off along the coast.

They travelled familiar territory, but now everything was green.

Odalis hadn't realized how much the winter had dampened her mood - the endless monochrome of grey and white quieting her spirit. Now as wildflowers ate up the earth she found herself twining them into Bardis mane as they rode, sprigs of white and pink and purple standing out brightly against the darkness of his coat. Tiny birds flitted amongst the tall grass, their beady eyes curiously regarding the large horse as he pushed his way through the blooms.

By the time they came upon the abandoned town it was late afternoon and Odalis felt her stomach growl impatiently.

She dropped from the decorated horse and tied him to an ancient broken pillar of twisted metal before gathering her things and daintily stepping through the broken window. It had once been a general store and as she tiptoed through the place there were still long lines of broken shelving and rusted clothing racks that lay crookedly abandoned. There were rat dropping along the places edges, and in some places dust had been disturbed - as if someone had already come through.

Her skirts caught on a wire coat hanger and she hissed softly, tugging the thing free and tossing it into the shadows.

There was history here... but a history that she did not understand.

She pushed a door open with her shoulder, throwing her weight into the thing as she struggled to press passed it. She grunted, her feet scrabbling for purchase as suddenly she was thrust straight through the doorway. Odalis lost her balance and fell with a crash to the chipped and stained linoleum floor, cursing loudly as she went.

She brushed herself off slowly as she stood - but when she saw the skeleton carelessly half hidden beneath a sheet she let loose a blood curdling scream.

for sally boy

Last edited by Odalis on Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM)

POSTED: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:22 pm

In his characteristic travels outside Inferni, rumors carried of tree-sized flowers, twice the height of man and then some, having sprouted suddenly along the southern coastlines. At first, Salvador scoffed and believed none of this. He was a well-traveled man who had seen pine and redwood and daisy and tarragon and everything else in between, but he had never seen flowers with stalks thick as a pregnant mare or with petals big as the clouds. It was a silly idea, a madman’s daydream, a bedtime tale for little children run rampant. He’d listened start to finish to wilder myths.

But the rumors rounded back to him over and over, enough to draw his attention. A cat he shared a meal with claimed to have seen them for herself. A family from the south claimed to have lost a daughter near to the god-sized sprouts and were fleeing from the peninsula as fast as they could. Two different loners on two different days talked about cultists in the south, one of which had witnessed something ghastly he could barely talk about without the shakes ruining all coherency.

If Salvador had anything to pride himself upon, it was his experience. The scars on his body were prizes, tangible proof that he knew what he was talking about. He didn’t want to believe the stories, but the curiosity became insatiable. Something wasn’t right. Whether skyscraper blossoms or not, something strange had occurred along the southern coast. Perhaps the clan had been fortunate to move in advance.

He made his way south alone by foot. He listened to the crows screaming in the budding trees about flowers, flowers, flowers. He didn’t know if they talked about the incoming spring or regurgitated the same rumors.

The Sadira heard a scream, listened to the wind, tasted it, and veered suddenly off course from the center of the town as he wandered through. He connected eyes with one hell of a horse strapped outside, who tossed his head and stomped as the man approached, hands up. Once coaxed, he peered through the windows and saw and heard nothing. Inside, a young woman far too dainty for dust and broken glass scrambled back from a doorway as if she’d seen a ghost.

There was no one else in the room. What did she find? A body?

Without introducing himself—or paying her much mind at all—Salvador routed around the woman, dropped to his haunches and lifted the sheet. Just bones. Sally glanced the walls and ceiling for anything else of note and came up short and disappointed.

He tossed the sheet aside, revealing everything else yet subjectively nothing else. He grunted, then stood and offered his hand. “Breathe, girly. You never seen bones before, or what?”

THIS IS LONG SORRY JUST LOOK AT THE END

our currency is flesh and bone

Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
DRAGONSPIT
everything costs

POSTED: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:04 pm

The scream was a strange thing which seemed to eat away at the air, burning brightly in her throat as she clutched at her pendant, her skirts. She hadnt heard the tall man pick his way through the broken glass and shelving - for her heavy breathing and frantic heart filled all of her senses with buzzing fervor.

But suddenly he was there.

She was blinking furiously, glancing back in the direction he had come from. Sunlight ran golden across the patchy floorboards, illuminating the tattered shelving and motes of floating dust. He was dark like a shadow, with pale hands and a smudge of crimson down his long nose.

His eyes were flame-colored and warm, and the barely widened as he lifted the sheet to inspect the bones that lay beneath the dirty sheet. He was so calm, his voice like a slow moving dune of sand - and suddenly all Odalis wanted to do was smack him.

So she did.

She bounced a fist off of his shoulder and glared down her nose at him, "Girly?!" She felt her lips draw into a furious line, her skirts bunched in her other hand, "I'll have you know I have never seen anything like this before."

She realized quite suddenly that she had punched someone who had seen bones before. Odalis made a strange sound in her throat, and took a step back toward the wall. The exposed bones were long and brown - obviously ancient things, but-

"You uh... Seem familiar." She gulped and gestured at the bones, "With them I mean."

for sally boy

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:17 pm

She punched him. It didn’t hurt, neither physically or emotionally, but his brows pulled together and he looked humorlessly at her while she yapped and snapped as little dogs did. Salvador straightened up tall, ready to whap her back had she not scrambled out of his range upon realizing he would.

“And you hit me because of it?” he said, not booming, but at half the power of her punch, he shoved her in the shoulder to make his point. “It’s not my fault you’ve been living under a rock. If you think that's scary, why don't you gather up your pretty little frills and skitter back home before the creeps get you.”

She was tinier than he expected, and between his shove and her panicked scramblings, something tumbled to the floor from her belongings. Sally did not care to get a good enough look at whatever it was. He turned instead to pull the sheet back over the bones. Maybe it would be enough to calm her down before he earned himself more bruises.

“Familiar. Sure.” He’d stripped a few animal carcasses for the skin and meat. He’d delivered grievous wounds and seen exposed bones. He’d taken a sentient life or two. Sally scooped up the jawless skull—human, canine, he couldn’t tell considering the damage to the eyes and teeth and his own inexperience—and popped his fist into its hollow. “Where I come from, they plug these on stakes to scare off outsiders. Good to know it actually works.”

The Sadira dumped the skull on the floor and kicked it under the sheet with the rest. “You reek of the Court. I didn’t think they’d gotten so soft.”

Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
DRAGONSPIT
everything costs

POSTED: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:50 am

The smudge of white on his nose was distracting her, and each time he spoke she found herself allowing her gaze to settle on the space just above where his long coyote muzzle began. His dark hair swung into his eyes and his head twitched to clear his vision - a movement that had Odalis wincing. His voice was surprisingly low, and when he shoved her she hissed as if she had been burned. She blew air through her nose and felt herself vibrate all over.

"How dare you." She snapped her teeth and felt her hair stand on end, her tail whipping to and fro beneath her skirts. "I hit you because you're rude." She sniffed, frowning as her bag tipped from her shoulder and spilled across the floor between them. She sighed deeply, "And now you've made me spill my things."

She growled softly, ignoring the way he threw the sheet over the ancient bones - the way he thrust his fist through the empty things skull before tossing it away like trash.

Odalis bawked, crouching to gather the mushrooms that had toppled from the leather bag where the ties had come loose. "They keep skulls where you come from?" She gestured with her hands,l in disbelief, "Thats terrible." She picked dust off of one of the fungi, her eyes flicking towards his smudged nose as she thrust everything back into its proper place.

"Is where you come from where you got your charming personality?" She hissed again, stoking the frustration that brewed in her chest. "Not soft... just-" She searched for the word with her tongue, "-Refined." She rumbled haughtily, "Unlike you."

The loose mushrooms in her hand were suddenly painfully obvious and she closed her hand around them, tucking them into her bag.

"Who are you?"

for sally boy

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:12 pm

Red eyes blaring like the warning lights of a long-forgotten era, Salvador caught himself glaring at a lost cause and turned his sirens away. Patting at his pockets he griped, “Why do I fucking bother?”

He muttered something about how the people had become loony in these parts since his last sojourn, found the cigarette in his pockets, and wondered momentarily if it was worth the trouble starting a fire to get it lit. It was, he decided rapidly. She interrupted him before he could go, and the Sadira looked at her flatly and silently the full length of her babbling.

Those mushrooms...

“Are you done?” Sally barked, once she’d asked for his name and closed her mouth. “No wonder you were screaming. Just have to fill the silence with something, don’t you?”

His arms folded, the Tirones gestured at her bundle. “Salvador Sadira. You know those mushrooms you just stashed away will do stuff to your head, right?” He had far too much experience with them not to recognize their colors and shapes at a glance. “I suggest you sit down somewhere nice and safe and sunny, pop one in your mouth, and chill the fuck out—else I promise you that stick up your ass will become your new spine.”

Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
DRAGONSPIT
everything costs

POSTED: Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Odalis had never in her life felt so much rage boiling through her – everything was on fire and she could feel herself balling her hands into fists, the muscles in her arms twitching as the thin man glared at her. His eyes were the perfect shade of red, unflinchingly crimson, and she found that she had to turn away from him in an effort not to berate him again with futile fists.

She blew air through her lips in frustration, ”No. I just-“ She struggled to find words and ground her teeth, ”You don’t know me.”

Her tail lashed behind her – and she glanced at the body and turned up her nose, disgusted.

He reminded her of Solomon had Solomon been so easy with his words. There was something smart looking about him, the white smudge on his nose eye-catching and unique. Solomon would have spoke to someone in the same tone but with less… flourish. Odalis wanted to hit him again, bury her tiny dagger into the side of his ribs.

It was a strange feeling, but one that had her heart beating too fast in her chest.

”The person that gave them to me said they would take me on a journey.” Her eyes narrowed suddenly, ”You’ve taken them before?”

Sadira.

”What?! You are a Sadira?” The wind suddenly fell from her sails and she rolled her eyes, sliding down the wall until she found herself sitting, legs stretched out before her. ”You Sadiras are everywhere, dios. A mushroom still lay in the palm of her hand and she bounced it absently.

"I come from a place filled with that name." She cocked her head curiously, "Wonder what you're doing all the way out here."

:>

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 5:00 pm

“Don’t I?” the Sadira scoffed, blurting a sickly chuckle and exposing both shining teeth and empty sockets with his crooked grin. “Oh, no. I know you. Your type. Pretty face, pretty hair, pretty tears. Lots of shrieking and crying and getting everyone else to work for you while you stand around dusting off your skirts and never working a fucking day in your damn life.”

He must have meant something by the sentence’s end, for the chortle had rotted into a hiss, a type of sound only one with personal experience could pull off. Yet unaware by his own rage, he gestured at the veiled bones across the floor and snapped, nearly shaking the walls, “You’re scared of bones? Dry bones? How about broken bones in broken skin? How about skulls with eyes that stare back? How about fucking killers, or rapists, or washing off blood—”

He caught himself, visibly so. After a moment flaring and wild, he calmed and shrank. In that time her talk of mushrooms and Sadiras surfaced at the precipice of his cognition, previously unacknowledged with gratitude to a blind and stupid anger.

The floor creaked louder than it should have in that hostile silence as he gently and without comment took the mushroom from her startled hand and threw it between his teeth.

“They’ll take you on a journey, yeah,” he mumbled once across the room from her again, mouth full and patting for a cigarette. “So will Sadiras.”

Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
DRAGONSPIT
everything costs

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Every word hit her like a bullet and she couldn't help but flinch from her place against the floor. She clutched her pendant and bit her tongue hard enough that her brows furrowed deeply toegther. She had done everything in her power to differentiate herself from the Onuban women that had come before her, but no matter how fast and far she ran she was always reduced back to the pretty girl.

Akanthas daughter.

Even here she couldn't escape her mother's infernal curse.

She wanted to kick and scratch him - but it was a futile lament... He had seen straight through her.

The mushroom bounced it's sad rhythm against her hand until he plucked it from her unapologetically, his teeth snapping shut around the cap with no hint of a smile. Her hands flexed, frustrated and taught, before she buried them deeply into the ruffles of her skirts.

His tirade was frightening and long - and for a quiet moment it was all she could do to not tremble, her pale eyes blinking frantically as she was transported to the time when the red star had fallen. There had been death then... Fire too. Deep all consuming fire that stole away breath and left nothing but rich acrid smoke.

"Ha! And what are you? A tortured soul out to spread your misery?" She snorted, curling her lips roughly. "It's working."

Odalis ached to impress him.

She snarled suddenly, "You think I won't do it?"

There was challenge in her voice that snapped the air taught between them - and without thinking she dug through her bag and tossed a mushroom into her pretty mouth.

She glared, "Shut up and give me one of those."

Odalis out her hand with no question in her eyes.

:>

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 10:37 pm

She’d seen through him just the same—a tortured soul spreading his misery. It wasn’t what he intended, but it was what became of him. Salvador was rare to unravel, but his guise was shakeable given the right circumstances. He had known girls like her before. He had loved them. He had lost them, one way or another.

He had lived a lifetime in only his youth. One thrill after the next. One destination after another. In a way he envied her, how simple and sheltered she was. Surely she had someone coddling her to act in such a way—an experience he’d never have, despite having too many others.

What had he become since then? A tortured soul? He wasn’t tortured. Sally kept it under wraps, at least most of the time.

He didn’t answer her. She popped the mushroom into her mouth, the whole damn thing, then demanded a cigarette once he’d found his own. “Hold on,” he said, his smile brief and wearied. He built a shallow fire from debris in the room and lit both cigarettes he located on his person, then put out the fire before smoke could gather. He would have preferred the daze and the warmth, but taking a first-timer outside to sit by the flames? Unwise.

He handed the cigarette to her. “Here,” he said. “Sit, take it easy. You probably shouldn’t have eaten that whole thing, but too late now. You smoked before?”

Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
DRAGONSPIT
everything costs

Dead Topics