Realism Check

Home repair

POSTED: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Okay so I've been doing general research and plotting in my head about this but I wanted to make absolute sure it would work and make sense:

Esqueleto and Sabina discovered a old house in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=39149. The windows are gone, doors broken, walls are old and the roof isn't grand but the structure stands. Also, being slightly above ground the old floor boards are giving way with age and rot. It's going to be a job to fix, but Leto comes from a place where he was made to help build homes back in Mexico, and so learnt a fair bit about it in his many years. Especially the use of such clay-like materials as Adobe (mudbrick), a mixture of water, soil and straw/dung.

Cutting down trees and getting wooden planks would obviously be difficult, and down right unrealistic when it comes to then hammering them into the walls to repair them etc, especially when they don't have any tools for it either. But working with clay seems more realistic in that regard.

But I have to ask before I go forward with mentioning Leto working with mudbrick, would it work for the house? He's thinking about taking up the floor boards and replacing it with mudbrick so that there's no risk of falling through it, but would this be a flood risk (though to be fair floods are pretty unavoidable if the weather is THAT bad). And what of the walls? Either by a brick system or puddled walls (where the clay/mixture is just built up by layers and not brick). For the walls needing repair, Leto would plan on covering them up from the outside, working from the ground and going up to create a second wall of mudbrick in front of the old wall.

Am I looking into this too much? I hope not, I'd like the house repair to be as realistic and fair as possible, so would love some advice or opinions on this :)
Loners
Dog
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:03 pm

I am not an expert or anything, but I have had some experience with mudbrick structures since I am from Mexico and I have seen them many times while traveling (have done some research myself)

There would be one mayor problem with mudbricks and that would be that it is much better suited for warm/dry climates than humid/cold ones. It isn't that it wouldn't work, but it may require a lot more maintenance than other materials. If they are directly exposed to humidity for a long while they may crack and eventually start to crumble, tho someone that comes from a semi-desertic region may not know that...

If he were to place something underneath to keep the adobe off the ground, like gravel or a new arrangement of wooden planks it may last a longer time, without them the floor may not survive a year without needing serious repair.

My boy Rocky has faced similar troubles in his Amherst residence. He was lucky that the building he chose had a stone floor (it is a small chapel) but from the water damage it had quite a few cracks and was rather uneven. He went with a crude wood flooring to make the place more inhabitable, perhaps he can help his new Mexican neighbours too?
Salsola
The Confidant
Hydra
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Makes a lot of sense thank you! I'd say seeing as he's got only experience in a hotter climate, Leto won't realise that his mudbrick plan won't work entirely how he wants until too late, but that will just mean lots of maintenance for the old man!

Having help from a fellow Mexican dog nearby would work just as well, since with all his injuries and being so old it's not plausible for Leto to do all the work on his own, (even with Sabina helping)!
Loners
Dog
Jazzy
Luperci

Questions & Help