Beware all those angels with their wings glued on

Aw | Noxweald

POSTED: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 am

Run. A cutting turn, a scramble back to full tilt. Through the fall leaves and the open air. The colours kicked up, then wafted back down to the floor of Noxweald.

A spotty hare, fat, flitting through the leaves in which Mystery's much bigger feet fought to keep traction. She saw it up ahead, a few steps out of reach, she put on the speed. The rustling of its manic feet moving mere inches from her teeth. Red yellow rust flashing before her eyes, then blue, purple intense and so otherworldly. Those colours burned. She leapt for the speedy creature, its lively smell tangling with the damp for a split second. She bit down, tasting a bitter mouthful of wet earth and weak leafy flesh that tore.

The coydog rolled on her side, stood up straight, fall colours sticking to her body as she scanned the forest. The hare had made off into the maze of trunks, the fading sound of panicking feet the only sign it had ever existed at all.

Mystery's tail waved languidly as she nosed the ground, trying to pick up the trail again, but her lakewater eyes narrowed as the smell of prey meshed with rainwater, evergreen, and purple-blue. The girl sighed, setting herself down in slicked grass and the fallen colours to cool off. Her long spotty tongue hanging, dripping saliva. She licked at her muzzle, wetting her nose.

She pulled it in, however, to sing, looking around at the autumn world. “Fallen leaves, do you believe. Fallen leaves, they deceive me. They're still up in the trees.” And she looked up, but no, the deciduous limbs were still bare. Outdone by the fully dressed evergreens, just green, but always green in ever season.

Mystery hummed that same tune, playing with the words like a puzzle in her head. Crowley played too.
300+ Thread prompt: Autumn isn't quite done with us yet, and there are fallen leaves absolutely everywhere - especially in Noxweald, the Ruined Vasts, and the Fundy National Park - making it hard to move without being heard. Maybe your character's hunt is ruined, or they startle something with their noise?
all the toys, and the tools in the box.
all the noise, all the voices never stop.

Daniel
Luperci Belle of the spookiest ball!
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am

A leisurely walk in the woods was not something the D’Angelo male took part in too often, but the changing of the seasons had left him languid and deep in thought. He mostly thought of himself, his position here in the Vale, but also, his family.

Saga’s recent rise to power had left him both proud and jealous, but always he slipped easily into thoughts of "how can this benefit me?" Obviously as she was his sister, it meant he had an in with the leadership, but that was something he didn’t really need to take advantage of at the moment. But someday…

He also thought about the recent changes in the pack structure of the land; three packs just gone within months of each other, but no word of famine or disease. It was odd, and it irked him. At least he still had his trade stronghold in Casa going, and he had not yet tapped into the potential of Cours des Miracles or Salsola. For now, he was content with his ventures; a steady stream of goods came through his hands and he could not truly ask for more; he was wealthy as far as wealth for a canine was concerned.

His thoughts were cracked like an egg by the fast, beating crunch of furry paws against the fallen leaves; a hare darted across his path, startling him. And then, a clear and crystal sound that shot through the trees nearby; his face turned to meet it. A lovely melody, which did not last long, was given to the sky by a pack-member. He grinned, and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his brown leather jacket, and sauntered off in her direction.

It only took a moment to find her; it was Mystery, a newer member and one he had to admit he had not interacted with; she was a pretty little thing, like all the women here in the vale, even in her four-legged form. Baelish barked a greeting at her, Good morning, was that your catch that flitted by me? He asked in a teasing manner.

Hello, hope you don't mind me stealing this![+3]

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Nat
Luperci Mate to Zuri Negotiator I They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Somewhere, in all the lifeless life of the forest, beyond her ragged breaths someone new appeared. As if riding off the loss of lunch. Her head lurched one way, and her eyes fell on a packmate. “N-no…” Mystery replied softly, “I d-did not catch it, so it wasn’t m-mine.” It was one of those collections of words that didn’t make as much sense outside the head. So while this turned about inside, she felt an uncomfortable tension, knowing she could not take it back. Taken aback by rabbits tossing rainbows out into her eyes, breathlessness, failing to nab those blazing white feet, and she had said something a bit perplexing. “I c-can’t…” she began, not knowing why there had been a beginning in the first place. She did not know.

Mystery got up to a sitting position, ears on lookout, glinting eyes looking this way and that like a ghost might be watching them speak their nothing conversation. “H-hi,” the coydog whispered, probably too quiet for the other to hear. “I’m wh-what’s your name—n-no, wait…” She hung her head as the laughter of Lucifer echoed down a long hallway. The leaves were normal, mundane fall colours now, as ordinary and still sightly as fall colours were. “Mystery,” she gave out to the man in the jacket. A flimsy slice of real in a small, haymaker crisis. He probably didn’t know what that one word meant, but it did help her relax, because she knew. It was her name, his name, their name, really. It was what everyone knew her to be.

Her lakeshore eyes fell on the unnamed Mistwalker tentatively before leaving quickly thereafter. “Wh-what are you d-doing here?” The girl asked, pawing at some damp bottom-level leaves that had been uncovered where she’d laid. The smell was something powerful, murky like a swamp but woodsy and calm. Her voice had still come out very quiet, but the forest was quiet enough to listen in, so he could listen too.

Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm

He seemed to have startled her, the way she turned to him so abruptly. In response, he raised his hands in supplication. The next series of events was truly perplexing. She began to speak, in stutters and half-sentences; it was hard to for him to understand what she was trying to say, and he was taken aback by her obvious lack of mental fortitude.

She spoke her name, at least, as some kind of introduction. But he already knew her name, he was no fool; he kept up with who was coming and going in Mistfell Vale, especially new recruits. Mystery had been quite a spectacle at the Masquerade, but he did not realize she was an invalid.

At her sudden question as to what he was doing there, he snapped out of his thoughts, and then, very slowly, Uhhh... I was just going for a walk. He lowered his hands, which had still be raised from before. Perhaps she was not as dumb as he believed, perhaps he should give her a second chance, so his stuffed his paws back into his jacket, Was that you singing just a moment ago? Very lovely. The quick lilt of his voice was back; he gave her the opportunity to prove that her social floundering had only be a consequence of his sudden appearance, and nothing more.

Giving her a little more to go of, he put his hand against his chest and made a small bow, I am Baelish D'Angelo, I don't think we've ever been properly introduced, Mystery.

Please excuse Baelish’s very prejudice and non-politically correct thoughts[+2]

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Nat

POSTED: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:56 am

Her voice, out in the open air and he’d caught a piece and brought it back. But she didn’t want it. It wasn’t her’s anymore. “N-no, don’t think so. The b-birds sing their ripest th-this time...o-of year,” she replied. Avians bringing whole stanzas into the trees, and she had been silent, believable enough to be real. Mystery thought so.

He was right, they hadn’t been properly introduced. “No,” Mystery told him simply, pretending to look off at something important, but what that was she did not know. The trees, the leaves hissing in the wind, the half-buried stone eighteen steps to the back right. A leg breaker it could be, at the right place at the wrong time.

Mystery thought about Saga, how quickly words collapsed in, how quickly people could cast her away from their company. Sprigs of lilac in one frame, the strike of destruction, then dirt. Everyone she knew, maybe soon they’d leave too, in another frame, sometime far off. Bang. Shredded flowers.

Mystery tilted their head at the Baelish fellow. “W-why, why go on a w-walk? Alone. A-are are you—” But no, that wasn’t it, that’s not why he was here. But maybe, and they weren’t far off because he’d come to snatch her away like one of her butterflies in a jar. But no, because he looked familiar.

Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 pm

She denied singing, though it obviously had been her; birds did not sing in canine-tongue as far as he knew. Though there were exceptions, however, he highly doubted birds of that type frequented the woods around the Vale. Mystery deciding to give away her praise to her feathered friends was her business he supposed, still, it was odd.

The four legged lady was very curt, agreeing with him that they had not been properly introduced, but not giving her own introduction or even acknowledging his own. This solidified his assumption that she was not all right in the head; perhaps a birth defect or injury had caused her inability to pick up on innate social queues. Mystery was not the first he had encountered like this, in fact, there had been one in Mistfell Vale for a time that was similar, but she was gone now; he missed her in a strange fashion. In comparison to Generosity, Mystery seemed far more impaired.

Baelish came to the realization that the two of them had been standing there in awkward silence while he though on this; it was clear she did not know how to interact with him, and was most likely just waiting for him to leave, which he was about to do when she finally did speak up, asking why he was walking. He grinned nervously, and scratch an area on the back of his neck, Fresh air. Silence. Bird song. He said, gesturing vaguely, No real reason. The rainbow leaves are lovely to look at, don’t you agree? Despite her disability, he would still be friendly with her; she was a pack-mate after-all.

OOC[+2]

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Nat

POSTED: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:05 am

OOC :: Words→ 300+

Mystery sat down to entertain the thoughts, of why or how leaves changed colour and all at once became entertaining for a time again. “Y-yeah sure...but…” Then calamity, in a lightning strike, the hand of some ungodly force torching aspen flesh. “H-have….have you ever s-seen the sky destroy a t-tree?” That was far more beautiful than the everyday indigo hues growing on autumn trees. Like they’d witnessed something integral and touching that only they could understand. Convinced it was the burning dots, the sky and the rivets that rivet it speaking to them in a language they could understand. We are here, we can reach you.

That old pattern didn’t come true, and it left Mystery wondering when Baelish would say something that would give her a sign. For the better or worse. There was always a sign, a sentence, a look, a frown. Like what happened with Saga.

He doesn’t like you no one likes you never ever ever.

Suddenly Mystery was looking sharply in his direction, breaths growing stiff and clumsy. “Baelish right,” a pause, “do y-you always know about the next thing?” Mystery asked, unsure if he knew what she was talking about. The next thing, all the time and everywhere, running in a perfect circle and soaring high like a paper bird. “I-I mean…” Dry mouth, dry riverbed as the big hot sun in the center of her head beamed, and her eyes beamed hard into the musty, rusty leaves laying at her feet. Her feet attached to her wobbly legs, the conductor at the helm pushing the steam train too far at a mile a minute. “I want to know wh-who you are...and I don’t know, a-and that makes me scared.” Her face turned hot as ash, and the scorching sun reached the back of her throat. “Is it bad to be s-scared?”

She didn’t know what he’d say to this. It was her doing. The oddball couldn’t read a situation if it had spelled itself out under a looking glass, her half-sense nonsense would most likely go misunderstood. Because only angels get to sing from the back and get heard.

all the toys, and the tools in the box.
all the noise, all the voices never stop.

Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 pm

He was taken somewhat off-guard by her next question, and he paused his movement to look at her with a little more seriousness now. That was not a question that came from an imbecile; it meant something. Perhaps she was fully formed, trapped behind a barrier of the mind or body or soul that he could not comprehend.

Before he could respond, she then continued to ask him about the next thing, and what the next thing meant to her was change, the future, he supposed. Something that frightened, but was inevitable.

He looked at her, completely serious, and then nodded, Always. He said, and then, to her question on if it was alright to be frightened, he nodded again, Yes. If you stop being afraid, you aren’t truly living anymore.

Fear, stress, the dread of the unknown were all as valid as feelings of happiness, comfort and joy. They were all part of life, and what made life worth living. Missing on of these crucial parts most likely would lead to a bad outcome, one he himself had seen in many others.

He shrugged, as if to rid himself of settled dust, and then looked at her and smiled, I’m going to continue my walk. You are more than welcome to join me. You need not say anything. And just like that, Baelish continued on, uncaring if she joined him or not… though he had to admit it would be pleasant if she did.

This is old and crusty so we can close it out here <3[+2]

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Nat

Dead Topics