like silence but not empty

the mists

POSTED: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:39 pm

[WC: 210] Daisy has found some spooky handwriting! Open for 1 to 2 others.

Each morning the world was awash in white, and each night Daisy was afraid to sleep.

Her dreams were coming back. They weren't always the same, but the people in them were. Those horrible mask-wearing strangers whose names were burned into her mind the way they had burned her home to the ground.

YOU'RE NEXT

She had already been chosen. The cult of Omni had promised they would save her, as long as she believed.

Sometimes, in desperation, she had.

The wolfdog stared at the bloody message and pulled the shawl tighter around her body. Daisy didn't recall who had given it to her. The buttons were make from antler, and the wool from sheep, but who had the maker been? It was bothersome to her she did not know. Being ignorant felt like a weakness.

New Caledonia was a pack built from the remains of older things. Daisy had been enchanted by the idea of their fallen kingdom, and now realized she had overlooked that something terrible had forced them away. Had the Caledonians brought it with them? Had the former members of Krokar been the ones to blame? It certainly felt like something evil was treading on her shadow.

Daisy let out a sigh. This sucks, she grumbled.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Mel
Luperci Corsair II, Piscator II

POSTED: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Vodeva was gone, whisked away in the mists; nothing but uncertainty and strange occurrences were left in her wake. Fennore had just visited the King and his wife a few days prior to her disappearance, and yet that encounter felt like a distant memory to her now. The Queen was a ghost, her presence still strangely among them yet her withdrawn wit and keenness all but absent.

It was difficult to justify wandering the City Square at night, surely, but even in the broad daylight Fennore was a bit apprehensive to stray too far from her home. Fear of the unknown swirled around New Caledonia like a dark energy, hanging low like the fogs of the Enedwaith. She was not a spiritual person, and yet even her unmoved soul questioned what sort of entity could bring about these troubled times, shrouded in murkiness and darkness.

Her gaze lifted from the cobblestone beneath her to a figure just ahead; unfamiliar at first glance, but reminiscent of the refugees of Krokar that had found solace in the Realm. Perhaps another Cormier?

But the woman's mismatched eyes were focused on something else entirely, something red and ominous, painted upon the wall, and the Moonwraith stopped short of her.

For a moment she said nothing, purple irises tracing over each messy letter, but then she mimicked the other woman and gave a light sigh. It felt an inadequate response to the chilling message, but it was all she could will herself to do. "This one is new," she said quietly, her voice even but clearly a bit stilted. "The fact there has been more than one is... alarming, to say the least."

The Aear glanced back to the gray female, her expression vague. "Had you met the Queen before she..." She trailed off, not wanting to voice it. Instead she bit her lip, restarting: "These have to be connected to her, I am sure of it."

[+300]
thought i'd hop in and join the spooks!

New Caledonia
High Lady of Dawn
veldt
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci Magister III, Diplomat III, Stylist I
• moonwraith •
twilight princess

POSTED: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 pm

[WC: 255]

The stranger's approach was masked by the fog, though when Daisy turned to look at her she understood how easily this might have happened. Except for her golden hair the woman was pale all over, given away only by the colorful garments she wore. Daisy thought she was exceptionally pretty and combed her bangs self-consciously.

Yeah, she said. A few times. She was – is, Daisy corrected herself, unwilling to admit the fear they all surely shared aloud. Nice. I'm sure they'll find her.

One way or another, a dark thought suggested. There was evil at work all around them, and Daisy was doing her best to deny it host in her heart.

She turned away from the bloody warning and towards the higher-ranking Caledonian. Though Daisy did not know her directly, she had seen the woman and believed her part of the original refugee group. Much of her time had been spent alone or with her family, and Daisy had been less inclined to leave her new home as the incidents continued. They worried her deeply. There was more to it than that, of course, but she was young and ignorant of the full damage that had been done to her psyche.

For now, all she knew was that she didn't like what was happening. Together, at least, the pack would be stronger.

I'm Daisy, she blurted out, and thrust her hand forward for a shake. It was a habit now, and a way for the eager wolfdog to show her intentions were friendly.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Mel

POSTED: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Vodeva was an interesting woman, certainly; in a way she reminded Fennore of herself, holding herself to such high esteem and not so easily letting out her emotions. But Fennore wasn't so sure "nice" was the right word for the aging woman, at least not in her experience. She and Iomair were a strange pair in that way, both sharing a regal air; but the former's was much more frigid and distant, whereas the King ushered in the new fold with kindness and warmth. Even still, the Square felt a bit colder without its Queen, and no one could be completely sure of their safety until Vodeva was found.

She shuttered to think what had actually become of the Queen and decided not to even entertain the thought at all.

The doggish female quickly changed the subject, holding out a paw, and the wolfess only hesitated for a moment before placing her own into the girl's palm. "I am Fennore," she nodded, squeezing Daisy's hand perhaps a bit too harshly; the gesture was not one she ordinarily engaged in, and she was unsure of the proper maneuvers. Where her hand was unsure, her voice was as polite and confident as always, balancing it out.

"Are you related to Willow or Percival?" She fought hard to peel her gaze away from the desecrated wall, pretending it wasn't there. It felt a sin to ignore it, though; yet she pressed on with as much poise as she could muster. "You favor them, I would say."

[+200]

New Caledonia
High Lady of Dawn
veldt
• moonwraith •
twilight princess

POSTED: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:48 pm

[WC: 190]

The stranger had a strong grip and a pretty name. Daisy hoped she would remember it properly. Sometimes it felt difficult recalling everything correctly.

Oh yah, Daisy said, nodding her shaggy head. Curly hair spilled into her face, though she made no effort to remove it. Willa's older n'me, but Percy an' I were born together. Daisy Parhelion, that's me. Most people call me Zee though, she corrected a moment later. Hopefully they would start to recall her in this way, and use the identity she was more comfortable sharing. Her birth name felt personal and connected to a life which no longer felt like her own.

Though neither of the women seemed keen to bring up the bloody message, it loomed at the edge of her vision. Daisy turned her head and read the words once more, mouthing them silently as she did so. They sounded prophetic and dangerous and far too familiar.

Are you from the first Caledonia? Daisy asked, though she did not look at Fennore when she spoke. Do you know if something like this has happened before?

Maybe it wasn't them. Maybe it wasn't her.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Mel

POSTED: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Yes indeed, another from Krokar; it occurred to Fennore how New Caledonia was quickly becoming a new amalgamation of members from both that pack and the Old Caledonia alike. Of course, a few strangers like her were thrown into the mix, but it was interesting how so many members thus far were already interconnected — an advantage she did not have, but Fennore was not afraid to forge her own relationships. Had she feared such a thing she would have never ventured outside of her old pack, after all, and there was no telling where she would have ended up had that not have happened.

"Well met, Zee," she nodded, and she stiffened slightly when the Parhelion's striking eyes drifted back to the words, saying them under her breath.

"You're next."

She prayed it wouldn't come true.

Daisy's voice pulled the wolfess' attention away for just a moment. "No, I am from... somewhere else," she answered slowly. "Far west of here. I only met a Caledonian in happenstance, and decided to follow them from there." Tamlin would have been shocked and unnerved to see what had plagued his people. War was a tangible thing that had befallen Caledonia, but these ominous messages were something else entirely.

"I'm sure nothing of this caliber has every happened to them... Or anyone, really." It seemed like something she would read about in a book rather than real life. Nothing like this was supposed to happen. Nothing like this was ever supposed to occur outside of fiction.

"I wonder if the King knows of this already, or should we tell him?" It would do nothing but further his anxieties, but no good would come about keeping it from him, either.

[+200]

New Caledonia
High Lady of Dawn
veldt
• moonwraith •
twilight princess

POSTED: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 pm

[WC: 161]

Oh! Daisy said. It seemed the Kingdom had pulled strangers from all over – herself and her people included. That's kinda like what happened with mah brother an' me. Ran into the King, back a'fore this. Percy, you know, he thought comin' here was the best idea.

She stopped talking abruptly. What did her brother think about this new disturbance? It seemed cruel of her to bring up her brother's influence now, when things seemed so bleak. Daisy felt paralyzed by the unknown, though she did not yet realize how powerful this terror inside herself truly was.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet, anyway, she went on, pawing briefly at her shaggy mouth before letting out a troubled sigh. Maybe we should find someone else? Lord Athras could tell the King then, that way they'd both know.

And, most importantly, they wouldn't need to disturb a man who had lost his wife after losing so much already.

New Caledonia
Tavar
Mel

POSTED: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Her head nodded methodically with Daisy's words, though the motion seemed almost robotic; distracted, surely. As much as the pair seemed keen to distance themselves from the situation at hand, the attempts were almost entirely in vain. Even idle small talk couldn't keep them from it.

But the gray female was probably right. No one else had probably stumbled upon this ominous finding, else the rest of the pack would have surely caught wind of it. Not telling Iomair directly seemed a good idea as well; even if Athras told him, surely the King would be perturbed and come to see it, but — "No, I agree. Lord Eryn can inform the King of this." Her voice was terse, sterile even, but there was little else she saw fit to convey. On one hand she didn't want to look at it anymore and keep pondering who was next and who even wrote this bloody message in the first place.

Conversing with Athras was bound to be another headache, as well. But she'd put aside any personal objections for now. It wasn't as if in these uncertain times she could focus on petty differences, anyhow.

"Shall we go, then?" she suggested, a snowy hand gesturing in a vague direction away from their finding; they'd probably find the druid in the Enedwaith, if she knew anything of the man, and there was no sense in waiting around.

[+200]
sorry for the wait on this! i figured we could wrap this up here?

New Caledonia
High Lady of Dawn
veldt
• moonwraith •
twilight princess

Dead Topics