pitiful thing

POSTED: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:57 am

The granite coyote jolted awake from the underbrush as a moose lumbered past, barely sparing the frazzled d'Artisan a glance. Frantic and head splitting, Micah glanced his almond eyes left and right and placed a hand to soothe his pounding skull. What had happened? Where was he?

Damn, he was cold. How had he slept in such a place? His pack borders were nowhere in sight, but a quick scouring of scents in the air claimed Cercatori d'Arte nearby. There was an argument—that's right, with Mimi. She was tired of the d'Artisan pack and wanted to leave, wanted to explore. There was a man she wanted to find, a wolf with a "long nose" and draping, curling fur, but she would not tell him more than that. Micah had claimed it too dangerous, for after all they had tustled with an Inferni woman few weeks before, and the shock had yet to wear off the coyote in its entirety.

For the first time in many moons he drank some—couldn't say how much—and this was the result. A shambling some decent distance from the borderlines of his pack and a night spent numb in the cold. He had not taken his satchel. He could not even numb the blasting headache with drug.

Micah remained there for some time, trying to collect his thoughts and summon the strength to start home. When he did at last, all anxieties rebirthed within him anew, but the pain in his skull was enough to distract from typical tremors and terrors. He wanted only to get home and sleep in some level of warmth.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run free.

That's no problem at all for me! I had a rough/fun couple of days. Found out I was accepted into school for next September after being out of high school for three years now! I am super excited so I wouldn't have been able to reply any sooner anyway! :] Word Count: (617)
WotD: gelt (noun)slang. money.

She had only been back within the lands of 'Souls for a week, and so far it had been her quietest experience yet. She hardly ran into anyone at all because she tried to stay out of the well worn paths in the surrounding forest. Sylvia attempted to settle in before looking for a place to stay, because she was not sure of her own commitment to any particular place at the moment. The last thing she wanted to do was make promises she could not keep, especially when her crazy family could be anywhere near. She wanted to find them desperately, and if she heard anything about them she feared that she would up and leave her new family... or even the coyote clan of Inferni that had taken her in when she was just a pup.

The golden woman had shed her normal two-legged form and took to her four-legged counterpart. It seemed like she hardly ran on four legs anymore, and it was almost alien to her when she attempted to walk forward. She promised she would make more of an effort and try and get in touch with her more basic instincts once again. Clearly, she had spent too much time in the cities, but how could she ever abandon her true form? The one she had spent months trying to get rid of so she could do so much more. She missed the feeling of the ground underfoot, and the smells that came with it. Being so high up on a horse did not allow her the same freedoms, and her optime form was much slower than this. The slim coyote-mix pushed her way forth through the woods, her blonde toes barely brushing the ground as she ran.

The crackling of a branch alarmed her and she skidded to a halt and threw her ears forth trying to recapture the sound that for a split second stopped her from her thoughts and put a halt to her movements. Crimson eyes whipped around to take in the form of a charcoal coloured male with a dull flame of colour brushing his nose. His hand was pressed to his head and she instantly recognized he must have had a head ache of some sorts. She learned a lot about maladies and pains and saw to them often along her travels. She attempted to fix anyone she could even if they could not pay the price she set. Her form of gelt ranged from furs, weapons and food to anything from whispers to secrets that she may use to gain an upperhand. As much as she did not enjoy that side of things, it got her some rare things that she did not dare dwell on in that moment.

Sylvia's attention went back to the young boy and she stopped a fairways back so that he would not see her and shifted back to her two legged form. If there was one thing she could do in that form it was defend herself, and she did not want him to have the upper hand if it came down to a fight. She had met some disgusting creatures on her treks and she hardly remained off-guard ever. "Hello there," she called out after her bones did their final cracking and popping into place. She was a skilled shifter, but it still doubled the distance between them. She bolted in his direction, and quickly found that he had hardly made it much further from where she had originally spotted him. The Mogotsi girl slowed her pace, coming to a standstill as she tossed her light platinum locks from her face and watching the male with keen interest.

Living in ruins of the palace within my dreams.
table by amanda
signature picture by alaine! avatar by kiriska!

POSTED: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

At first Micah was not sure he had heard a thing at all. Ghosts turned and tousled in his skull, crying and screaming and stabbing at the inner walls, but the only ghost truly present was Storm Lily, his pale sister who appeared to him in only a glimpse. She detested the wolfdog pup he had adopted, envied the attention she received from the Lykoi, and it had been months since brother and dead sister had conversed. Micah missed her, that was truth. Storm Lily would not have believed a lick of it. The greeting in his ears he thought to have been hers, the ghost, but she vanished within seconds and reflex sent his almond eyes to its true source: A very blond, petite coyote woman.

He blinked once, twice, allowing his blurring vision to focus. Her eyes—red like rubies, like blood—darted shivers through his veins and stood his fur on end. Red eyes, like the eyes Valerie had painted on the wall in Halifax, like the eyes he always felt were watching his back.

"I-I-I-I'm s-s-s-sorry," Micah stammered at once, throwing up his hands defensively and tucking his tail. What was he apologizing for? "Pl-Pl-Please don't hurt me, I-I-I was just passing through! I-I'm fr-fr-from Cercatori, I-I got lost last night, I-I-I—"

His headache surged and nausea turned; the granite coy gagged in place a moment and held his head, wincing for a pitiful display. Somewhere, just vaguely, he could hear Storm Lily laughing at his expense.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:58 pm

That's no problem at all for me! I had a rough/fun couple of days. Found out I was accepted into school for next September after being out of high school for three years now! I am super excited so I wouldn't have been able to reply any sooner anyway! :] Word Count: (493)
WotD: pokelogan (noun) Northeastern U.S. marshy or stagnant water that has branched off from a stream or lake.

The predominately ebony hued male that stood before her whipped around quickly, searching for her. Sylvia stepped into his line of vision but realized instantly he did not seem to be in good shape. His stammering made her back step and she blinked widely at him her doe-eyed stare watching him, calculating as she waited to see what he would do. He was apologizing to her? The woman remained standing there slightly startled at his defensive stature. He had nothing to fear, and she was hoping she was not giving off that impression.

The blonde girl reached a hand out, but pulled it back quickly afraid to give him the wrong impression and send him scurrying away. His tail was tucked tight between his legs, and she wondered how her small form could give off any kind of malice or dominance especially in this neutral area. She was completely relaxed, or she had been, until she ran into him and noticed he seemed a little... off. Her ruby red orbs darted to his hands which flew to his head and she remembered why she stopped him in the first place. He was not doing well at all, and she wondering if she could help him in any way. It was the one thing she could do at least.

"You have nothing to fear from me, I promise," she said in a low tone, even though the soft trill of her voice held such a musical-like melody to it that could calm the most nervous of souls. Her ears flicked forward at his revulsion, or what she mistook for it because he seemed to actually almost vomit into his mouth right there. Sylvia instantly thought that maybe he was suffering from a migraine, it would explain why he kept gripping his head and the nausea that seemed to over take him right then. She covered the few steps in between them, dropping the book in her hands on the ground.

"My name is Sylvia Odessa Mogotsi. You may call me Sylvia if you wish," she said, twisting a lock of her hair with one finger as she came to his side reaching out an arm so she may help seat him on the ground. "It would probably be best if you took a seat. If you are up for it one of these buildings would probably be better to get into," she offered with a small, friendly yet unsure smile. She hoped that he would not round on her in that moment. Her tail twitched beside her unsure of what to do if he refused her. She looked around at the dim city noting the stagnant pokelogan's that littered the area where water had run freely through in the dirty yards after years of attempting to carve out a path back to the harbour. Her soft eyes fell back upon the boy who seemed so much smaller than he was because of his illness.

table by amanda

POSTED: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:56 am

She spoke to him again, but it was the dropping book that alarmed him; his attention returned with all the qualities of a spooked doe. Though his head throbbed on Micah took the time to glance her over, to assert himself there was a reason she had not killed him yet or at the very least mocked him for his idiocy. Those ruby eyes sprung a second wave of nausea in his gut, this one better veiled and suppressed so this Sylvia would not know how she haunted him.

His hair stood on end when she reached for him, but it was a delicate touch, a kindly one. To take her invitation meant to put himself in a potential trap, in harm's way, and he perished the thought and refused to sit down. "I-I need to get home, I-I-I need to make sure she has eaten," he mumbled, but when he staggered into a spot of sunlight Micah grimaced and ducked away.

"Okay, umm, but only for a little while," he said with second thought.

"My name is Micah Lykoi," he added as she led him away. "I-I'm sorry about all this. Why, umm, why are you helping me?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Thank you very much! I am super excited to finally go to University. :] Word Count: (439)
WotD: calorifacient (adjective) producing heat.

The boy was spooked, and it did not help that he was in great pain that Sylvia could see was taking a physical toll on his body. In all his confusion he seemed to be calorifacient because of how worked up he was over her trying to help. She was unsure of what she had done to spook him. The petite female was by far intimidating, but he was of average build and only seemed smaller to her with his fear-ridden state. Her ears pricked up at the sound of his voice taking in every single word he said hoping for some clue as to how to help him. She was at a complete loss, but there was nothing she could do if he would not accept her hospitality.

"Need to make sure who has eaten?" she asked, her crimson orbs looking about quickly for another figure she might have missed. "I'm sorry, but you are in no condition to hunt," she tried feebly, reaching out another hand to help him as he ducked away from the bright patch of sunlight that shone through the clouds. The girl frowned unable to understand what was wrong in the first place. If she could just figure that out then she could have a diagnosis and then she could treat him, but until that happened she could only really treat what she could see. It was not much to say the least.

"Lykoi? Shouldn't you be in Inferni with the others?" she asked curiously, her brow lifting but she shook her head: this was no time for conversation and she lost herself for a minute. "Why am I helping you?" she reiterated back with a dumbfound expression crossing her features. Sylvia frowned slightly, pulling back away from him for the first time. Why wouldn't she help him? She would only want the same kindness in return if someone were to stumble upon her in a sickly state. Her tail twitched at the thought and she offered him a kind smile. "I guess I have a soft spot for others like myself," she said hinting at their coyote heritage. With the hate she received from certain wolf packs she was sure it was not any different here. "And, I would want the same kindness myself if I were in your situation," she offered meekly, taking his arm to sit him under a solid looking tree so he could lean against it.

"Now, what does this head ache stem from? And, does anything else seem to be hurting?" she asked, skipping into a more professional manner that she was used to when treating patients.

table by amanda

POSTED: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:49 pm

"Mimi," he said, submitting without argument when Sylvia advised him against hunting in such a state. He was a poor enough hunter under ordinary conditions, let alone plagued with headache and nausea. "Sh-She's my..." His what? Daughter? No, judging with her short of patience with him, she would never call him "papa" ... even if he might have desired such love and respect. He didn't finish the thought. "We had a fight a-a-and... I guess I must have drank after."

He hung his head, ashamed: The idiot must have drank too much, and now she knew. Micah would not have blamed Sylvia for dropping him right then and there and going on her way. Surely her time was better spent elsewhere, perhaps with those ill of more pitiful, legitimate circumstances. What a fool Micah was. The very thought of how he inconvenienced her with his self-induced illness — it only turned the bitter acid in his stomach over a second time, and he wished for a dark hole in which to crawl. Dark, with no head-splitting patches of sunlight. Even after Sylvia explained the reason for her kindness, Micah was not quite convinced. He was not worth this fretting. She would see no pay-off from helping someone as talentless as Micah Lykoi.

"I'm sorry," he said, apologetic as he always was—always had to be—and so weary of those words in his ears. Something had to change, the Lykoi realized. This coward within his skin should have been clawed out with the skin and fur uprooted by the Inferni madwoman. Micah shifted his jaw, the scar at his lip sliding with a miniscule bump over his teeth.

She had asked him what else might ail him, and though a second apology hung at his jagged lips, he committed against it. He was sorry, but he was weary of appearing so pitiful. Instead, as he settled against the tree with her help, the man steeled his jaw and said with an ounce further of confidence and a little laugh, "Nothing else but my pride."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Word Count: (513)
WotD: misoneism (noun) hatred or dislike of what is new or represents change. .

Sylvia frowned, it was not quite the answer she was hoping to hear, but she could still smell the alcohol on his breath which had given it away when she first stumbled upon him. There was a short silence as she thought about who Mimi could be to him. It still would not stop her from helping him, but now she knew there was no way she had to treat him for anything bizarre. All he really needed were some fluids and a good sleep, but she was sure he would not get a good sleep here. Maybe she could help him home? Wherever home was to the charcoal male.

"Well, good thing I had nothing better to do today," she half-joked, giving him a friendly grin and a soft pat on his shoulder. She did not want to make him feel uncomfortable because of what had happened. Gods only knew she had been around enough alcohol induced coyotes and sometimes they were less than pleasant. He genuinely seemed like he needed some help though and just did not want to ask for it because of the self-inflicted repercussions. Sylvia remembered the little stream she passed earlier and the water was moving fast enough that it was not stagnant and would have quite a fresh taste to it.

"Stay here, I will be back," she said, turning quickly on her heel not even awaiting an answer. If he tried to get away he would not make it very far before she tracked him down again. It did not take long to grab the small bowl that would hold enough water for him to get a good drink from her pack that she left back by Adonis. She patted the horse who was just fumbling at the sparse bits of grass and moss with his lips. He gave a small wicker, but otherwise ignored her presence. Just as quickly she covered the ground between where she grabbed the bowl and the stream, filled it with as much water as she could, she gracefully made her way back to the silver accented male's side with hardly a drop spilled.

She knelt beside him, holding it out for him to drink and ready to aid him if he needed it. "You are just going to need to sleep this off and drink plenty of fluids that aren't alcoholic," she said, her eyes turning onto him. "Now, I am sure it would not be hard for me to pick off a hare or two around here. Where is your pack? Are we close enough that I could help you home?" she asked. She did not know of any packs besides Inferni and while she had smelled the borders of others she made sure to steer clear of all of them seeing as they were filled with wolves. She was unsure of how her presence would be welcomed by them. They generally exhibited signs of misoneism and she did not want to surprise one by accident. She did not think she could flee from a whole pack unfortunately.

table by amanda

POSTED: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Micah remained in place as directed, skull reeling and folded hands patiently tapping thumbs together. It should not have been so difficult for him to understand her sympathy and compassion towards a stranger, for Micah knew well he would have reacted similarly in such a situation though with added anxiety for certain. It was his own lack of self-worth that resulted in such misunderstanding, thinking she had greater purposes to attend to than dealing with his insignificant plight. Why was it so surprising to discover such a thing did not matter to her? Sylvia did not think him worthless; he himself did. These accusations of worthlessness existed only in his head.

Such a strange realization to make.

The coywolf returned within a few minutes, handing to him a bowl of streamwater he did not require her assistance to ingest. The woman's gentle tread with him reminded him of his sisters then, a connection he scolded himself to have taken so long to make.

"I'm, uhhh, I'm from Cercatori d'Arte," he said, snapped from the tide of his thoughts by the query made. "It can't be far. I-I can get myself home, I'm sure. But... I guess if you wanted to catch something, I can cook it for us both. To show my gratitude for your help, I mean."

He took a breath. "I'm glad I'm not keeping you from something, but... Where were you going? Do you live around here?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics