as the days grow shorter

POSTED: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 am

Pascal believed that winter was his season—the opposite of Skoll, who tended to shuffle tiredly from place to place even though his thick fur was meant to withstand the weather. The Knight claimed that the long nights and short days were getting to him. Pascal, as unobservant as he usually was, thought that it was something more than that. Skoll had been acting differently since Linden defeated him in their duel of sorts, seeming to have lost some of his boisterous energy. Another might have said that it was a long time coming, if they’d noticed the change in the golden prince ever since his father’s death.

If anything, the new prince was going through the opposite change, becoming happier as snow blanked the land and made everything quiet. He lounged now outside of the hotel, having spilled down into the snow and rolled around like a puppy for a few minutes. Now he rested on his back, his paws sticking up in the air, though he was quick to flip over and look around if he thought someone else was approaching; he didn’t want to be vulnerable.

No one was coming right now, and so Pascal Sadira tilted his crown back into the snow, his tail wagging, and let out a hum.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:33 pm

There was a sort of magic to behold at the sights of the first winter, a marvel to which youthful gaze. Black nostrils twitched as frosty air filled lungs; the crisp chill somehow ached, burned in that narrow chest. Merle pelt was thickening with the chilling weather, but she was still young, her coat wispy and soft, not enough to fully block the white weather's grasp. Frost clung to whiskers, snow speckled about throughout the feathering on scrawny limbs, and along the fluff on her belly. Hark perked, crown lowered as the dove traversed this strange new landscape. Jaws were gently clasping something solid, yet fragile; a small pinkish bottle was delicately cradled between black lips.

Silvia had only rarely strayed from her parents' sight, and she was wary without their supervision. The dove was far different from her russet litter mate, remaining cautious and uncomfortable now that she had gained enough confidence to stray from her immediate family. Limbs froze, ice lanterns turning with such sudden swiftness with the sound of the crunch of snow, that was not from her. The stranger's scent was of home, of familiarity, though the youth had no knowledge of him, so rather she remained frozen, expression doe-eyed and rather befuddled by his rolling about.

POSTED: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 pm

He rolled in the snow, tossing his muzzle and nudging clumps of the cold stuff with it. He was surprised he liked the feel of it, though one could make the distinction between his hypersensitivity to pressure (and subsequent dislike of touch) and the overall feeling of this nonthreatening fluff. It didn’t bite too deeply into his coat, even his furry paws cushioned from the cold. It did make him sneeze, though.

Air blew from his nose and mouth, causing snowflakes around him to scatter. Momentarily dazzled by the white dots, he shook his head then glanced over at a small, dark merle form standing and watching him.

His tail thumped, more for need of motion and stimulation than gladness, and he lifted his head, flipping over onto his stomach. Ears twitched forward, and he smiled—a little less awkward than his smiles usually were, thanks to practice.

“Hi,” Pascal barked.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Icy sights held the vision of the romping stranger with her particular doe-eyed curiosity. Such behavior sparked a bewildering series of inquiries, and as soon as his play had slowed, large eyes peered to the white, pristine powder, which bit at her still-wispy pelt and froze her toes, now wondering as to what sensation he must have been feeling. A chilled paw raised for a brief moment, hark perked forth, and she dabbed at the snow a little with tiny swiping motions, before returning her paw to its original resting point, and repeating the process with the other.

Attention was drawn back once more at the barked reply, the form of addressing her, which caused her to jump, the glass bottle clinking against her teeth as she reclaimed her grasp on it. Oh goodness. Oh goodness. Eclipse eyes stared to him again, suddenly befuddled and unsure of how to respond. This was a stranger! And he was talking to her! The young Butler had forgotten what little social graces her dearest mother had tried to give her. Gaze looked from the bottle sticking from her muzzle, making her momentarily cross-eyed, to assess the snow-speckled gentleman, and back. His smile seemed, for the most part genuine, and she figured it rude to not respond back, so carefully, she placed her prize into the snow, the glass shimmering in the powder, movements ginger and deliberately slow. Her crow quickly raised upwards once more to watch the stranger, flopped hark perked forth.

"Hello," came her timid reply, her head tipping ever so slightly to one side.

POSTED: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:15 pm

166 words. I'm... hopefully back in action. Sorry for wait. :<

The little mottled creature stared at him, frozen in motion, and then dabbed lightly at the snow underfoot. Pascal smiled broader in encouragement, though the expression lost a bit of its grace at a result -- he'd yet to realize that big smiles still had their limit. His greeting seemed to have disturbed her, however, which cased the smile from his face. Her wide eyes flashed to him after crossing at the bottle in her mouth.

Gracefully, the puppy deposited the bottle in the snow, and replied. Her voice was quiet, which Pascal didn't expect; normally puppies were loud, too much so. He appreciated the softness, though.

"You're Harvey and Aoves' little one, right?" Pascal asked. He didn't spend a lot of time with the family, and so didn't know exactly how many puppies they had or across how many litters, but he'd seen older ones. "I'm Pascal," he said, and glanced at her coveted treasure. "I like your bottle."
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Slight thought seemed to be given as she pondered that smile, and a pause was given before lips quirked in slight to mirror the expression with her own gentle, sheepish smile. Void-eyes looked back to her bottle, tail swaying gently in appreciation.

"Yes, I am a Butler," came her response, words offering explanation. "And thank you."

Gaze turned somewhat pensive for a moment as she stared to the bottle, then to the glittering snow once again, curious. Slowly, her eyes turned back to the stranger.

"Pardon, I forgot my manners, my name is Silvia," came the soft tones of her voice again. "May I be so bold as to ask what you were doing? It looked... Interesting!"

Carefully, her muzzle poked at the snow as tiny form relaxed in the fellow canine's presence, crouching down into the powder for a moment before plopping down into it, sending flakes scattering. After a brief moment of wiggling, she sat up again, mottled form re-emerging and coated in a soft sheen of sparkling droplets, which she was quick to shake from her pelt, finding the biting cold somewhat uncomfortable. A shiver quaked through the youth for a moment, unsure of what to do with herself for the moment while contemplating whether or not she enjoyed the frigid touch of winter.

POSTED: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 pm

232 words.

The child smiled, and Pascal was able to relax a little. He was always a bit uncomfortable around puppies younger than him, because it was hard for him to really empathize with their exuberance, and he was always worried that they'd find him strange. Someone might have been able to tell him that children were more accepting than adults, not stuck in their ways, but Pascal didn't have the experience for that. He was wary.

The Butler girl was different, though -- quieter, spending as much time staring at her bottle as looking at him. He barely noticed when the girl didn't actually give her name, until she did, and he stood awkwardly. Silvia -- Silvia, who wanted to know what he was doing.

"I -- uh?" Pascal said, and looked down at the frost scattered around his feet. Before he could explain -- how did one explain play to a puppy? -- the doggish child plopped down in the snow on her own. She rolled around briefly, snow shining on the tips of her fur like stardust, and shook it away with small little shiver. He watched her with some worry and padded forward.

"I'm sorry. It's -- I was playing," he said. "And it's cold. Do you -- is your fur really thin? Maybe you shouldn't play outside." His ears flattened out awkwardly to the sides, and he sat down.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 pm

It was a moment more before exhilaration took her in its grasp, entwining chilled fingers into her soul and awakening her. There was a rush that went hand in hand in the chill, and she brought herself to a stand again to shake that pelt out once more. It was some thrilling call, something that rang on an instinctual basis, electrified her soul, perhaps the traces of wolf that ran through her blood mixed with the puppy-ish thrill and wonder that whispered to the young Butler, beseeching her to explore, to take this world head-on. A soft sigh escaped black lips, vapor escaping in a cloud. Tongue drew frost from her whiskers, and she had failed to notice how the male had drawn closer, and with a shy smile, she void-eyes looked back to him with awakened curiosity.

"It is cold, but I'm alright," she reassured, voice still level and quiet, though friendly. Paws reached out to pat at the snow again, and gaze looked back to her bottle, sweeping it back up into her jaws before looking back to the older male for a moment, as if to excuse herself, before she moved it a small ways away next to a rock, and gently placed it down at the base of a stone before trotting back curiously.

"Play? My sister doesn't really play with me, much."

Silvia gave pause for a slight moment and her head tipped lightly to the side.

POSTED: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 pm

319 words.

Winter was bred in him. His facial structure, thick coat, and large paws betrayed the arctic wolf in his genetic make-up, though his pelt was a far cry from the snow-white coloration like his mother's beautiful fur. Pascal was unaware of any genetic memory, but the instinct was still in him regardless -- heavy paws drumming down on snow, the steady contraction of enduring muscles, the feel of a thin caribou haunch in his jaws. There was a reason that winter was a time of such bounty for the wolves. He felt life in this cold season.

He had no way of knowing what was going on behind the girl's pale eyes, even if he'd been able to better read others; he only knew that he desperately wanted her to like him. One might have argued that it was the beginning of a desire to have pups of his own, or at least teach the youths in his pack. It wasn't every day that he was able to make a lasting impression on someone so small.

Silvia spoke calmly and then grabbed her bottle, moving it over to a rock. Pascal watched but didn't comment on this, only tilted his head to mirror her. "What's your sister's name?" he asked. His tail waved behind him, a rhythmic motion. "I played by myself a lot when I was little. I liked to play with my brother and explore, but he was a little rough." He'd not known he was different back then, and his parents hadn't either, at first. His hypersensitivity to others' touch had made the usual roughhousing of youths difficult for the boy. He'd learned to play by himself in the mud, or with only frogs and snails and other crawly, icky things for company.

"We could play something," Pascal suggested -- but he didn't know what.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

Dead Topics