beeswax and wooden bowls

POSTED: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:54 pm

(247) For my sanity's sake this is before Lowry's dead body is rotting away near the borders. <___________< Pascal is accompanied by Skoll, who is in Secui form.

Pascal inhaled the rich scent of earth and clay, touched by an almost floral aroma that was at odds with the bite of winter in his nostrils. It was not particularly threatening, especially with the brutish canine standing at his side, sunshine-colored fur fluffed against the temperature. Skoll offered him an encouraging nod, and the Sadira youth swallowed the lump building in his throat. His fingers roamed along the edges of the box he carried, full and heavy with various goods -- bowls plucked from the high shelves in the kitchens, some end paper torn out of a damaged book, and rabbit furs cradling a few pieces of stained glass.

The Freiherr could only hope that something among his belongings would be considered value by one of the d'Artisans he sought today. He knew that trading was largely subjective -- after all, he would find a book far more valuable than someone who didn't read as a hobby. Trading was also an interpersonal affair, too, though. He had Skoll there in case he failed to get his words out or if he misinterpreted something, but he wanted to do this himself. Proving that he was a value to the pack had become something of great importance to the odd-eyed misfit, and trading for goods was one way to contribute.

And so, standing at the borders of Cercatori d'Arte, with the box balanced between arms and chest and his companion at his side, Pascal howled.

Last edited by Pascal Sadira on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:09 pm

He couldn't go far, he had already been to Aniwaya to inform Gemma of Taliesin's departure, but he wanted to take Mocha and go trade. He was thinking of trading with their ally pack, Casa di Cavalieri, since they were so close. He'd be gone a day at most. He had borrowed some saddlebags from the stables and loaded Mocha up, when the howl came from the borders. He was already saddled up and ready to go, so he let out a quick howl, assuming his pack mates would understand he would check it out on his way out. It was mere moments later he arrived at the border, pulling the chestnut mare to a stop before dismounting fluidly.

He glanced between the two, noting the box clutched to the male with the mismatched eyes. The eyes were odd, he'd seen eyes that were mismatched from canines outside the Rhiannon bloodline, but it was an unusual trait. "Hello. I'm Myrddin dir Rhiannon, how can I help you two gentlemen today?" They had the same scent as Lena had, he noted, feeling proud of himself for remembering as infrequently as he was out of the pack lands. "You two are from Cour des Miracles, right? My sister lives there, lena Rhiannon." He offered them both a friendly smile.

Vannah
Luperci Evil never dies.
Secretly Inspired
WAFFLES

POSTED: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:47 pm

A howl answered his, and Pascal drummed his fingers against the wood of the box. His throat thrummed with a noise meant to comfort him, but Skoll coughed and startled him into silence; he flushed momentarily with shame, knowing that his little involuntary noises would only ruin this encounter—if his million other little tics didn't first. He was aware of them, however, because Skoll was an honest friend and coached him through many conversations. He wanted to do this one on his own, though, and not have to be reminded again.

A horse approached, a cream-colored rider sliding from its back, and Pascal fought to establish brief eye contact. He stared too long at the other's eyes when he saw they were two colors and, flushing again, glanced at the ground.

We— Pascal began, and blinked as the simple answer he'd prepared was dashed to bits with another question. Yes, we are. Lena is—she wants to be an apothecary, he said, though he didn't know for sure. He did not know the dark she-wolf on a personal level. Maybe Skoll did, but Skoll was only smiling in agreement, allowing Pascal to lead this transaction.

It took effort to redirect the conversation, since he didn't know what else to say about that. I'm Pascal Sadira, and this is Skoll Haskel. We—I—wanted to trade. Maybe for some candles. Since your pack makes things—I didn't know if someone knew how to do that. He set the box down so that its contents were in mostly clear view, and stooped to untuck the stained glass shards from their furs. I bought different things; I didn't know if you'd want any of them.
Last edited by Pascal Sadira on Wed May 21, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 pm

((Sorry about the wait! I really failed hard but I promise I will do better in the future!!))

The other had an odd way of speaking, something off about his voice. The snowy healer hadn't heard a voice quite like it before. Bridget had a strange way of speaking, too, but he knew what was wrong with her. She shared whatever had been wrong with Liam, her father. He let the thoughts slip to the back of his mind as he listened and watched the male. His lips twitched into a smile. "Figures. Our parents were both healers too."

Pascal and Skoll. Myrddin filed the names away for later reference, knowing he would remember them fine. He had a knack for names, learning and remembering things came easily to him. They wanted to trade, and he smiled again, his tail swaying lazily behind him. "Funny, I was just on my way out to do some trading myself. I make candles from beeswax." He turned and lifted the flap on the saddlebag closest to the trio, exposing his goods.

He turned back to the male. "Feel free to rummage through the pack, as candles are not all I have, Mocha won't bite or anything. She's a sweet mare." While the shards of stained glass were beautiful, there was something else that had caught his attention in the box. He knelt to look, pulling out a couple of wooden bowls that would be perfect for his house, perfect for the times he needed to get an unshifted packmate or pup to drink a concoction.

Vannah
Luperci Evil never dies.
Secretly Inspired
WAFFLES

POSTED: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 pm

No worries. :>

See galleries for image credits.

Pascal smiled his too-toothy, forced smile until Myrddin revealed he had the things Pascal had wanted, at which point the smile faded but his tail began to wag happily behind him. Good! he said, and pulled his own goods a little out of the box so that all of them could be displayed. He looked at the beeswax candles and stepped toward the horse, only to hesitate. Though he allowed Myr to rummage through his box, he was hesitant to do so with the other's saddlebag, whether Mocha was a sweet horse or not.

Skoll caught Pascal's uncertain eye and smiled, walking to the horse and murmuring to it gently. My own horse came from Cercatori d'Arte, he offered, brief conversation before he pulled a few of the candles from the bag. He waited, one hand gently rubbing the neck of the mare, while Pascal glanced at Myrddin and noted his sudden interest in the bowls.

You like the bowls? the prince asked, ears pricked. I can give you two of those if you have... five candles, he said, settling on a number. And, um, maybe if— He raked his claws through his hair in a few quick strokes, pulling it down and sideways over his face, a nervous gesture. I am trying to learn to make candles. If you had tips, or—if you could show me when it's convenient? I could— Well, there are more bowls or I can trade something else later, even if it's just candles for now.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 pm

He hadn't missed the male's reluctance to approach the horse. He couldn't decide it the male felt it was too familiar a thing to do, or if the male was simply shy around horses. He was about to walk over and remove the saddlebags off Mocha when the other male, Skoll, walked over and spoke, removing a few candles from the bag. Pascal had a shyness around horses, he decided.

Five candles? He weighed it for a moment, then spoke cooly, thought the slight wag of his tail betrayed his enjoyment of the game. "Five is too many, how about two candles for two bowls? Plus teaching you how I make my rolled candles. Afterall, once I teach you, you won't need to trade for more." It wasn't so much that he wanted to pull the wool over Pascals's eyes as it was he enjoyed bartering. He had decided he would gladly accept four candles for the two bowls, the knowledge was something he would gladly share for free. He was a fair trader, after all.

He set the bowls back in the box, standing straight. A hand went to his short and messy mane, running his fingers through it absently as he watched Pascal. His face settled into an easy smile as he waited for the males reaction to his low ball offer.

Vannah
Luperci Evil never dies.
Secretly Inspired
WAFFLES

POSTED: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Apologies for the wait; school projects took up a lot of my time.

Pascal stared in disbelief as Myrddin declared five candles too many for the bowls. He noted Skoll's eyes on him, also, and though the blond male wore his trademark smile Pas knew he was measuring the Sadira, too. He flattened his ears briefly and protested: Two things that will melt for two things you can use forever? until he realized Myr hadn't finished talking. He froze with embarrassment and listened, head a little hunched.

Mismatched eyes flashed for Skoll for some signal, but the Knight was busying himself with cooing to the horse, not giving him any tips. He finally clawed his hair again then glanced at the d'Artisan. If you teach me, I... I think that's fair, he decided. He didn't know if it was the right decision or not. This was why he was in the Labor tier, he thought; it was hard for him to read others or really know what was right in a certain situation.

Skoll smiled a smile Pas could not read, shrugged, and put all but two of the candles back into the saddlebag.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 pm

((No worries! I understand :) WC: 313))

The male protested, and Myr's tail wagged in anticipation of the bartering that was to come. But when the male acquiesced without any further arguing, the healer's ears twitched, his face betraying a moment of surprise. A niggling feeling of guilt pricked his conscience before he pressed it down into submission, as he glanced at Skoll, wondering if the silent male was judging him for low-balling the other male. He didn't feel that just two candles was fair to the other male, but Pascal did feel it was fair, so it wasn't on him to feel bad about it. He would simply make sure to sooth his conscience by making sure the male went home with enough supplies to make several more candles. He nodded and smiled as he took the bowls he wanted.

"Alright, if you gentlemen want to come with me, I'll take you back to my house where I have all my supplies for candle making, since its not really something you want to do in the dirt." He gave Pascal a smile, his tail set to wagging again. He touched Mocha's shoulder lightly. "Home Mocha." The chestnut mare whickered softly and began walking in the direction of his little cabin in the Luperci built part of Thornbury.

It didn't take the trio long to arrive at the simple wooden house. He opened the door, gesturing for the mare to stay put outside. She snorted softly, pawing the ground playfully as if telling him she would obey. He scratched her nose gently, letting the two males into the house. The scent of herbs and beeswax filled his nose as he entered his house. "Take a seat at the table, I have the supplies in my spare room." He walked into the spare room, retrieving several sheets of pressed beeswax and some cloth wicks he'd prepared in advance.

Vannah
Luperci Evil never dies.
Secretly Inspired
WAFFLES

POSTED: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 am

He registered something on the other's face -- but it could be shock at his agreement or something entirely different, as far as Pascal was concerned. Knowledge was valuable to him, and so he thought the trade was fair enough as long as he learned well. He watched the other quietly until Myrddin invited them back to his home, and his tail stirred as ears pressed down nervously. He'd never been within another pack before.

He walked close to Skoll as they crossed the borders, though every instinct stymied him as the scents changed. His gait lurched occasionally, and his eyes roamed every inch of the land they crossed. The Haskel man, by comparison, was utterly calm, if also subtly looking at their surroundings with a faint smile. Nostalgia touched him from his visit as a puppy to these lands, and Pascal envied his collected appearance.

They reached a town, small houses of wood and stone dotting the little road, and Skoll thanked Myrddin quietly for the invitation, passing into the house with a gentle pat of Mocha's shoulder. Pascal followed and sat down at the indicated table, running his paws lightly over the wood then pausing and messing with his hair, scratching it down across his face in nervous strokes while mismatched eyes flicked to Myrddin as he prepared.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Sat May 10, 2014 5:19 pm

((Obviously they won't be super pretty candles, just basic ones but this is the easiest and most basic way I've always had Myr making his. Though he doesn't realize that while dried herbs and petals smell nice, they make the flame spark a little. WC 393))

He came back out, laying the sheets of beeswax and the wax coated cloth wicks on the table in front of the male. "My.. friend, Honrin is a beekeeper. He collects the wax and honey periodically. Then he presses them into sheets of beeswax. I keep my house reasonably warm, but not warm enough the sheets will melt. They're thin enough to be pliable and they travel well, but not so thin that they break. I honestly have no clue how he does it, but I trade him for the beeswax." He handed the male a cloth wick. I melt down some beeswax into a heavy metal bowl that was given to me. I'm sure wood or stone bowls would work as well, but I like my metal one for this. I cut thin strips of cloth and dip them into the wax to make wicks for my candles. I then tie them to a stick and let them hang so they're straight."[/b]

He paused for a moment, to gauge the male's reactions, to see if he was understanding everything so far. He grinned crookedly, his tail wagging. "Now comes the hard part. I use a sharp blade to cut the wax down to size. How big you cut the wax sheets will determine how big your candle will be. I'll show you a small taper candle." He deftly sliced a piece of wax that was about six inches long and just as wide. He carefully laid a wick at the edge of the wax, making sure the edge was straight on, then slowly began rolling it until the candle was about an inch wide, and six inches long. "Then you trim the wick down, and it's good to go."

He handed the male the candle. "You can make thicker candles by using more of the sheet. You could also make candles in bowls or cups by melting wax down and pouring it around a wick, but I haven't got the hang of that yet. I like to sprinkle herbs or flower petals into my candles to give them a slightly different scent, my favorite is the rose petals."

Now he gestured to the wax sheet and the wicks. "You do it, now, and I'll help you as you need it... and you keep what you make."

Vannah
Luperci Evil never dies.
Secretly Inspired
WAFFLES

Dead Topics