i am running late from the life you have brought upon me

self-thread

POSTED: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 pm

It's time. ;_;

Internally she had used every excuse in the book not to go. She would be refused. She wouldn't make friends. She wouldn't fit in. Her father would be long gone. Micah would miss her. She even admitted to herself she was scared.

But with Faolan readying for a similar trip, Mistral recognized her golden opportunity to take the chance to leave for Cour des Miracles on a more permanent basis. In the weeks since Lowry's death the Spitz mix had spent considerable time around its borders and surrounding territories, recalling with greater confidence the kindness of Harvey, the promises made by Valencia, the way Linden held himself with such esteem and pride. Court members bore no shame in their pack. Mimi could not say the same for herself in Cercatori d'Arte. Simply put, she did not belong.

Faolan had been born and raised within d'Artisan borders, and his motivations to leave Mistral did not quite understand. They were not the closest of friends, but she recalled his equally youthful face in her earliest months more than most of her packmates, and with a partner she had greater confidence requesting membership at the Court, particularly with Silvano as King. He might not have approved her on her own. Paired with Faolan, perhaps he would give her more of a chance.

The decision was made amidst a slow-moving walk around the pack premises, one she knew to be her last glance at most of her d'Artisan home. Mistral passed the Border Tree and consciously hastened gait as if chased by the ghosts lingering there. With each step en route to Thornbury once more her heart heavied, weighed on her toes like stones in her gut. Micah would hate to hear this.

With the weather warming up from sheer frigidity she found him behind the Thornbury home at noontime, paintcans lined up against the wall not an inch out of place from one another. He greeted her with the first smile she had seen of him since early February and continued scrubbing dirt from the wall where he had last painted the previous autumn, preparing it for a new mural.

Mistral sucked in air and burst all at once, "Papa, I'm going to Cour des Miracles."

I WILL BECOME WAR
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci
elysium

POSTED: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm

A trail of clean, bright color halted where the dampened rag froze in place against concrete.

He heard correctly. Micah knew he had. He had known the words were coming from the moment she shifted for the first time, from the days she spent away from Cercatori d'Arte insisting that she could fend for herself. She had lost weight on her own, and though she would not admit to it, her drooping eyes and occasionally drawling speech made clear her panic when sleeping alone in the wilderness. No amount of advice and argument had reined her to Thornbury when she returned, and so too would it fail him now. Micah knew. In her mind she had already departed.

But joining Cour des Miracles meant there would be no more sleepless nights for her. Her dreams of learning about her family, her heritage, would become real to her. He could ask for no more as her guardian, her "papa." Mimi could make friends at long last. She would be fed and kept warm and protected. He only wished he could do so himself just a little while longer.

"Oh," the coyote said, arm dropping to his side. Micah stared at his feet a moment, wild curls tumbling about his eyes like a mane, and brown eyes returned to her compliant yet void of feeling. Robotic. "That's... that's great, Mimi. When do you leave?"

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:02 pm

"Oh, Papa, please don't be upset," pleaded the eight-month-old, throwing her arms around the Lykoi and burying her face in his chest. "I don't want to leave you, I don't want to, but I, I have to to go."

They could not have appeared more different, more unlike father and daughter than they truly were. He, dark and lanky and coyote-like; and she, short and bright with the face of a Spitz. An unlikely duo they had been. An likelier duo they would be apart.

His question hung over them unanswered. She could not bear to respond so soon, to tell him the decision was near-immediate. Instead Mistral squeezed and relished his embrace—not the most protective, the most shielding of arms that could have held her then, but the most loving possible. Micah was no sword-wielding Cavalieri. He was no Inferni warrior with the Lykoi branding, no commander or defender in any sense of the word. He was Micah, simple Micah. Timid, weak, endlessly loving Micah.

"I'm leaving with Faolan," she summoned the courage to say. "We're going to go there together. He's saying goodbye to his family today. I-I should have said something sooner, but—but I knew you would feel this way, and..."

One look at his sinking expression turned her veins cold, pulled at her heartstrings, and a tiny but hopeful smile started. "I thought maybe you could come with me, Papa. Please?"

I WILL BECOME WAR
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci
elysium

POSTED: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 am

He faltered when she thudded against his chest and wrapped stubby little arms around his back. The coyote followed the motion mechanically, arms placing themselves around her without conscious attempt, loose and hollow like folds of clothing pulled into place. Her words resonated in his mind. Why did they seem so familiar?

"I don't want to go, Mom." That's right. He had nearly forgotten. "I don't want to leave you. But... but I don't fit in here, and now that Clover's gone too..."

It had been a long time, hadn't it?

Prompted by his silence, Mistral squeezed and continued. The answer to his inquiry was roundabout as if to soften the blow, but impact hit full swing. Today, then. Mistral was leaving today. Maybe this was for the best; maybe she had been right not to tell him sooner so as to pique his anxieties, his depressive tendencies. A shame, too. The plotted plants at home would not be in season soon enough.

Still he mustered no words. Instead she plead for him to join her and his ears perked with realization. Had it always been so easy a solution? Why had he fretted all this time, thinking she would inevitably wish to join the Court insistently alone?

But the longer the plea hung in the air, the worse a prospect it became. Her smile began to fade away, detecting in his face a quiet refusal and the first signs of true emotion. "I can't," he said, voice like crumpling paper. "I... I need to help them find the person who killed Lowry and did all those things to you."

"But Papa, you've already done so much for me. You don't have to—"

"Don't," he said, stern. "Yes, I do."

"Well... what about after?"

Micah broke from their embrace, folding his arms and pacing as he fretted. "I don't know, Mistral. We'll just have to see."

Though the man tried his utmost to maintain an even demeanor, his stony exterior cracked. "No. No, I don't like this. That man is still out there. You could be hurt and I won't be there to protect you." Shoddy as his protection would have been.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 am

"Papa," she flared, hesitated, and allowed her temper to burn. "Papa, I don't think you can! You—you can't even defend yourself even after all that practice and training."

Micah turned to her, appalled. The child swallowed a building lump in her throat and stood her ground, tiny hands fisting at her hips. "Bad people followed us here and you couldn't have stopped them if you tried. There are people half your age that can fight and talk and do everything better than you—Papa, it's so embarrassing!"

The Lykoi's eyes sunk to the ground and a fidget started in his hands. He must have known they were efforts to help, stark and blunt like cuts from a dull knife, but Mistral's words were little more further confirmation to a harsh realization from long ago.

"I know," he said.

"I'm not gonna screw around in Halifax," Mistral continued, "and I'm gonna learn how to defend myself and I'm gonna be fine, and if you really wanna protect me you'll have to come with me."

"I can't," Micah replied, a whisper that crept through the cracks between turbulent thoughts.

Once more Mimi withered with disappointment, but refused to falter. "Okay," she said. "Then... then that's it. I'm going."

I WILL BECOME WAR
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci
elysium

POSTED: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am

She was right.

He had been a hero, once. Only once. When he heard the child crying in the cage from that second-story Halifax window, Micah had gathered more courage than he thought possible in himself and dared within. What would have happened if the criminal called Judas had been present at the time of the Lykoi's approach? Scrawny and malnourished as Mistral described her captor to be, Micah knew himself easily overtaken. He might not have been able to rescue her. He might have fallen right then and there at fault of himself and his shoddy abilities, and Mistral might met final fate far sooner than a child should.

Against the Inferni woman he had fared little better. Mistral had been targeted and her guardian managed to avert the confused coyote's focus to protect her, but it was sheer luck the male had escaped her with little more than a few scars and gashes and torn lips.

Perhaps Mistral was safer learning to defend herself. Perhaps relying on a fool like he would have only endangered her more.

Hollowed and stomach in fits, he did not respond with immediacy. Instead Micah listened to the loose call sounded from the borders, Faolan's howl, and caught the turn of Mistral's ears. That was it, then. Just like that, it was a time for dismissal.

"Let me walk you to the borders," he said, mustering nothing more. He helped her pack what few belongings she had, sneaking in a pair of necklaces and bracelets he had made, including the string with the hummingbird charm attached. It was newly finished, meant to be presented as congratulations for her first shift just weeks ago, but he could not find the luster within himself to present it ceremoniously. It was tucked in with her things when she was not looking.

They discussed her plans and intentions at Cour des Miracles with few words en route, and when it came her time to depart with Faolan, they embraced and exchanged I love yous one last time.

And as Micah watched her leave, watched her glance over her shoulder at him with efforts of a smile, he swore to himself, for her sake, that his days of cowardice and weakness were no more.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics