a mess of wood and wire

POSTED: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

(626) I thought maybe we could turn this thread into Lux's slave job challenge thread? Thread with a member of Salsola holding a Defense Job; assist them in their duties. Sparring can certainly happen too! Since Loki is Vedetto, I thought he could help out. Maybe they could initially discuss border traps or something? Idk. Let me know your thoughts! Also, is it possible to backdate this a week or so?

It had been several days since their arrival in Salsola, and Lux was no longer the property of that quiet shadow woman. Instead, he had been offered to the Boss as a gift – Svasra’s ticket into acceptance into the Family. Lux had been shown to the slave quarters, and had been introduced to a dark, fierce woman known as Siv. Similar to the Boss herself, Siv was a strangely attractive woman – her tone compelling attention, despite the stern hint to it. Lux found himself drawn to her, although he did not trust her. He did not trust the Boss either. These woman were powerful, and terrifying. He had no choice but to serve them, but Lux knew he’d have to always keep one eye trained over his shoulder.

The Crone had marked him with the Salsolan sign of the slave – a simple golden ring that pierced his septum. The leather collar that had once signified his status as property had been discarded, but not before Lux rescued the small metal charm that had been tucked between his flesh and the leather. Although he felt less confined without his collar, Lux still found his hand idly raising to adjust the thing that was no longer there. It would be awhile before he grew used to its absence.

His duties had been explained to him, and he’d affirmed his understanding. The tasks that were required of him were nothing new, and Lux was confident he could accomplish them without issue. He’d been told about various jobs a slave was permitted to work towards, and he’d made a mental note of the Slave of the Flame. As property, Lux did not often have things to work towards. He’d still be a slave but he’d accomplish something partially of his own accord.

Upon exploring the cottage that was to be his home for the time being, Lux discovered items that supremely interested him. An old picture frame had fallen from the wall, left in a splintered mess not far from the fireplace that served to keep the slaves warm during the cold winter nights. No eyes were upon him, and thus he had explored. He found a long strip of picture hanging wire affixed to the back of the broken frame, and deftly removed it in only a matter of moments. That vivid blue gaze of his had seen another purpose for this discarded thing, and he knew it’d come in handy in the tasks he had been given.

It was nearly dawn when he ventured into the chilly March air, the wire draped around his neck like a makeshift necklace. He headed south from the cottage, eyes surveying the area in search of opportune signs. He did not care to observe this new land in admiration that it was to be his new home. Lux’s focus was fixed entirely upon the current task at hand.

Ultimately, Lux had found a trifecta of signals. The first thing to catch his attention was the scat, followed closely by some recent tracks that trailed away in the snow. Once he followed them, Lux discovered a well-traveled game run – the snow worn away to the dead grass beneath, somewhat muddy from the excess moisture and travel. It did not take him long before he found the particular place he deemed appropriate, and Lux got to work. He did not have all the tools he need to make a more complicated trap but he was knowledgeable to use his surroundings and make what he had work for his purpose.

It did not take him long to set up the snare, before the slave stepped back to admire his work. Most likely it would be a single use trap – the wire potentially growing dull and brittle under the strain of the animal – but it could get the job done. Now it was time to wait. Lux resolved to come back and check the snare later. If he did not catch anything this dawn, perhaps he’d have more luck at dusk.

POSTED: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:12 pm

That's perfectly fine; feel free to steer the thread however you need to. :> And you can date it however you'd like. Thanks for starting!

See galleries for image credits.

The twilight hours between day and night, whether dusk or dawn, marked the time of the hunt. Even Loki tended toward these dimly lit hours, emerging from his sunken stone home four-legged and slinking into the forest. His preferred method of catching prey was to trap it, but occasionally the urge to shift and simply chase led him to take a more active role. A quick breakfast of whatever small morsels he could find would give him the energy to roam the many miles of territory to check his traps.

The coywolf went with the loping gait of his larger breeds, though the coyote lent a certain briskness to his steps. He trotted into the woods and lay in wait for something small, and rather quickly managed to chase down a vole foraging along the cold earth. He swallowed it in a few rapidly-bitten chunks, turning to scent the air. One of his usual game trails was nearby, and it wouldn't hurt to find something else to eat.

The aroma of the woodlands was sharpened with that of metal, wire like what he used in his snares, and Loki frowned. He caught another scent among that, and didn't need to see a pierced nose to know what sort of creature that submissive smell would belong to. At once feeling above his own Lupus form, Loki paused and shifted—almost naked compared to most days, his only jewelry the gold sitting at his collarbone.

He quickly swept his mane back out of his face, letting it fall in feathery layers at his nape, and put a hand on his hip as he walked. The other hung loosely at his side then balled into a fist as he spotted the dusky form of a Luperci near a set snare. He frowned a moment, and brushed his hair back again before stating: You.

Once he had the trell's attention—a foregone conclusion, because he was above this canine and deserve the attention anyway, Loki continued in a less brittle tone as he gestured first to the man and then the trap. What's your name? Did you set that?

Last edited by Loki Helsi on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
With your feathers and thorns sticking to my hide
Salsola
DEAD
Raze
Luperci raven & dove
trickster god
two-spirit

POSTED: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:32 pm

(334) You rock, Raze! Does the 18th of March work okay? :D

Lux did not hesitate long to check his work. Instead, his gaze swept the immediately surrounding areas for signs of life. Nothing flickered before his eye, but he knew it would be only a matter of time before something crossed the path of his snare. The smell of the other reached him only moments before the light sound of his foot fall. Lux turned towards the approaching man, although his gaze did not find the other’s. He let his shoulders relax forward, ears falling closer to his skull while his tail assumed its expected position. Lux knew the posture of a slave quite well.

The man’s one word was sharp, and Lux nearly winced at the sound of it. A part of him wanted to lift his gaze and observe the other’s expression, but Lux did not dare for fear of the consequences he may have to face. This place was still new to him, and there was no telling what these people might do in order to teach one a lesson. The Grecian male had a feeling their punishments would not be taken lightly.

I am called Lux, my lord, the slave answered, his gaze focused on the gold that the Warden displayed proudly at his throat. Even in the dim light of the dawn, the metal seemed to wink at him. It was funny to Lux to think that the same metal served similar purposes for these two men, and yet they also represented opposite sides of the spectrum. How interesting. I did, he divulged, letting his gaze flicker to the snare for just a brief moment.

Does it displease you? As soon as the words left his mouth, Lux wish he had not stated them. The culture here was not the same as he was used to. He’d been told not to speak unless he was addressed. Perhaps his question would seem out of line to this foreign man, whereas it would have been perfectly acceptable amongst the royalty of Athens.

POSTED: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:18 am

Anything is fine. I don't specifically date my own threads. :>

See galleries for image credits.

The odd, almost exotic man folded before him -- ears swept back, tail tucked, submissive. It neither pleased nor displeased Loki, but his body assumed an instinctual, dominant posture in return. Though scarcely an inch taller than the trell, the difference increased with this display of rank. He looked at the other with unabashed curiosity, a grin threatening to twitch his lips at being called "my lord." He suppressed it, not wanting to appear childish, and turned his gaze to the snare. It was simple, though Loki wouldn't call it crude. Even if simplicity had no place among the hierarchy of Salsola, where the wolves were better than those outside it, even the vain boy recognized some tasks didn't need a flourish to be effective.

Lux questioned him, and Loki's ears twitched sharply in the direction of his voice. He blinked at the slave then smiled at him. No, he said. I like to make traps, too. His tone was very different from the hastily barked call to attention from before. His mother had taught them that slaves were property just like horses were, creatures that needed firm hands but not cruel ones -- and his views further softened, so he spoke rather lightheartedly to the other hybrid. He was utterly unconcerned what anyone thought.

You should help me check other traps, and maybe reset them, he continued, not an order so much as an enthused suggestion. Traps are important in Salsola -- for prey and other predators. Like wolves, he hinted, and grinned sharply at Lux.

With your feathers and thorns sticking to my hide
Salsola
DEAD
Raze
Luperci raven & dove
trickster god
two-spirit

Dead Topics