don't trust me

[j] Leader Needed

POSTED: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Do or die, and the story goes.

Zhiv couldn't really tell you how long he'd been walking for; weeks, months... all he really knew was that the weather was changing before his very eyes, going from icy and unforgiving to relatively warm and muddy. Over the last couple weeks now, he'd noticed more and more birds in the bare trees, more and more animals scurrying around the ground... Just the day before, he was able to catch the biggest hare he'd seen in a very long time, its fur halfway through its winter and summer hues. It was honestly the best meal of his life, but he knew it wouldn't be enough to sustain him for too much longer.

He'd lost a considerable amount of weight over the brutal winter months, traveling through parts of Quebec, New Brunswick and ultimately settling in Nova Scotia with two other wolves he'd met along the way. He found himself getting tired so much quicker nowadays, but he decided it probably also had to do with the fact that he hadn't really had a good night's sleep since September.

As he walked through the woods now, feet occasionally sinking in puddles of mud, slush and dead leaves, he couldn't help but wonder how much longer he could go like this. With the coming summer months, he wasn't as worried about survival as he was about his morale. He was a very private person and his distrust of others was almost unhealthy, but even so, he missed hearing the sound of other voices, the sound of young pups running around and laughing, the feeling that he was being useful... that he meant something to someone. As much as he wanted to enjoy the lone wolf life, as much as he'd convinced himself that he was better off alone... He couldn't help but miss his life before everything had gone to hell with his old pack.

He spent the majority of the morning walking around aimlessly, icy blue eyes scanning the surroundings, occasionally sniffing around in an attempt to locate some food. He was following the trail of a lonesome deer when he caught it: the smell of other wolves, of a pack. He'd caught the scent of pack borders since arriving in Nova Scotia, but he'd always made a note to steer clear. He had bad experiences with packs, especially packs he did not know.

At first, he was going to pass right along, but as he continued to chase his prey, stomach growling underneath his thick charcoal fur, he felt himself wondering just what he was passing up. Who were these people? Were they friendly? Did they make a habit of taking in strays? It was going against everything he believed in, but eventually he was walking straight towards the borders, finding himself stopping a few feet away.

He allowed himself a minute or two to think this through, his mind racing through the potential outcomes of this scenario. In the end, what made him decide was the fact that, if things didn't work out in his favor, he could always just leave. So, with that in mind, he let his presence known through a long howl.

He ran his claws through his long mane, trying to make himself appear somewhat less disheveled, then proceeding to brush away the dirt and dust clinging to his damp fur. He realized he probably looked like complete crap -- hungry, exhausted crap... The last thing he wanted was to give the impression that he was a menace or a burden. He stood up to his fullest height, a toweing seven feet and one inch tall, letting his muscular arms fall to his sides, waiting...

OOC: Hey guys! I'm Mac J and I'm so excited to be here! | WC: 602 | Template by hilli
Last edited by Zhiv on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mac J
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Welcome! :D Pascal is in Lupus form.

See galleries for image credits.

Large paws splashed carelessly through the mud, and a frog swung by a leg from the mottled wolf's jaws. It peeped in protest when the swinging halted, though Pascal only lowered his head to sniff a bush rather than let his prize go. The last one to mark this part of the border had been Skoll, his scent almost defiantly dominant, but he left his own scent quickly and plodded onward across the spongy earth.

Spring was one of the male's favorite seasons. He loved the birdsong that reminded him of his mother, the splashing and jumping of the amphibians he loved to chase, and even the sensation of mud against skin and fur normally so sensitive to touch. The sensations around him were loud, clamoring, but also enjoyable. When the frog lurched, he finally dropped it, only to chase it a few feet and plop large white forepaws on its speckled body. It puffed itself up in an attempt to frighten him off, but he only tossed it over onto its back with his nose and hassled it.

A howl disrupted the playful prince, and his ears twitched before he scrambled to attention. He hesitated, wanting to see who'd called but wary of what kind of an impression he might make. Then again -- Skoll said few loved the Court as much as Pascal, and while sometimes Pas thought Skoll meant that as a jibe, he knew that the King's son was a good person to meet a loner at the borders.

The brown-grey wolf ran through the fringe of woods at the edge of the Kingdom, slowing as he found the stranger's scent. He stepped into view, briefly balking at the height of the disheveled black wolf -- only to calm as he realized his father was taller still. He forced a smile onto his face -- one that turned out too big, toothy, strange -- and greeted the other in his usual flat tones. "Hello. What business do you have at the borders of Cour des Miracles?"

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Zhiv shifted his weight from one foot to the next; he recalled the wolves that used to walk the borders of his old pack, steady and strong as they roamed the pack lands. The memories had him on guard, bracing himself to be met by a wolf as large as he was, or a petite wolf-woman who could have him in a head-lock in a manner of seconds, despite the fact that he towered over her. He ran his clawed claws through his mane again, deciding it was as tame as it was going to get. He sighed.

He caught the scent of the wolf before he heard the rustling of bushes. When he saw him, he had to admit, he didn't know whether to be disappointed or relieved. He seemed way too young and way too... too... all over the place to be watching over the borders, welcoming people, deciding whether they were worthy or not. He remembered the wolves that used to parade the borders of his old pack borders when he was but a young pup, before the pack was disbanded and they were forced to flee to Canada. His icy blue eyes were fixed on the other male, watching him... analyzing him...

Although they were in different forms, Zhiv could tell that the guy was considerably smaller than he was, his fur a mixture of browns, creams, grays and whites. As the Lupus approached him, Zhiv gave him an acknowledging nod, leaving his body language open and friendly, even though he felt tense more than anything.

"Hi," he greeted, his tone cool but not unfriendly. Nonetheless, he cursed himself when his voice came out dry and ragged. He hadn't spoken aloud in over a week. He cleared his throat, "My name is Zhiv, and I wanted--" he paused, "--I was hoping that your pack would have me."

Mac J
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Nerves fluttered through Pascal's body. His face betrayed nothing, not his excitement or his worries, but his paws began to shift from side to side as he rocked himself. Only the croak from the dark wolf pulled him into awareness of his own body, and he stilled with effort. Fidgeting would be misconstrued as fear or uncertainty -- and while he was alight with hope that he would not mess this up for his pack's reputation, he was not afraid of this stranger like he used to fear so many others. He had an entire pack at his call, including his warrior friend and his father, while this loner had nothing.

"Oh." The delivery of this syllable was flat, almost artificial. Mismatched eyes stared at the other's dark torso a few moments before he found his tongue again. "Why do you want to join us? Have you heard of us before?" His tail wagged from side to side, rocking his hips. He knew Faolan had joined after speaking so highly of the Court, and so perhaps this was the case with Zhiv.

Belatedly, the prince remembered his own name. "I am Pascal Sadira, Freiherr and son of King Silvano."

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:51 pm

The first thing that crossed Zhiv's mind when the other male spoke, using such a monotonous tone, was that there was something... off about him. He seemed distant, aloof; Zhiv was getting the distinct impression that the King's Son thought him to be an incredible waste of time.

Perhaps he was too quick to judge, but Zhiv found that he disliked the other male's behavior. Nonetheless, he kept his body language light and his expression polite as he spoke. "I'm afraid I haven't heard of the pack before," he admitted, unintentionally finding himself using a formal tone that was far from his usual rough, somewhat careless manner of speaking. He was speaking to the King's son, after all, so it was probably in his best interest not to let his annoyance show.

He cleared his throat, folding his arms over his chest, only to realize that might make him seem hostile. He untangled them again, placing them at his sides. "I was hunting when I caught your pack's scent," he told the male figuring honesty was the best policy. He decided he wouldn't go into the details, not to this fellow. He didn't think it mattered that he was hungry and exhausted, or that spending another second all by his lonesome was going to drive him nuts. His reasons for joining were personal, and surely none of the Prince's business. "I can be of use to you," he stated, side-stepping the Prince's question and hoping his next words would be satisfying enough.

"I'm a good hunter, and I have some training in herbalism... I can hold my own and I won't be causing any trouble." He nodded, his eyes holding more confidence than he felt within. The ball was in the Prince's court now.

Mac J
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 pm

You can go ahead and edit "leader needed" into your thread title or subtitle. ^^

Pascal twitched his ears back as the other admitted to not having heard of the pack -- and he wasn't sure what the loner's motives would be in joining, then. If he didn't know anything about the pack, how did he know if he would like it? Or maybe he needed a home very badly. His belly turned, and he struggled briefly with mistrust and the urge to be the kind soul who would open up that home to him. Though -- it wasn't his decision. Prince or no, he was only a Freiherr.

"Herbalism?" Pascal nodded and let another awkward smile grace his mottled features. "We could use more apothecaries in our pack." As far as he knew, Liam was the only healer still around -- his mate, Rio, had left for the sea on a trip. He knew little about herbs and medicine, himself, but already his mind floated with images of healing and plant books in the library. "I'll call for the King, and he'll decide if you can join us or not," he said, and tilted his head to howl for Silvano.

As the sound died down, he settled on his haunches. "Cour des Miracles is a formal pack with ranks like the humans had," he explained, deciding that this was the first test -- whether the hierarchy would frighten Zhiv off. "When the King comes, you should bow to him and address him as Your Majesty, or King Sadira." Skoll turned his nose up at the formalities and got away with it due to his relation to the Queen, but Pascal didn't want any new members skirting these customs. Pas adored Cour des Miracles' culture and didn't want to see it devolve into informality with uncouth members.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:31 am

Silvano Sadira
On the shoulders of oppressed men was a world like this made

Image (c) Square Enix

The howl his son made came echoing toward him. He had been knee deep in a flowing river, pulling out smooth stones. He had caught sight of the round things and wondered of their use. Perhaps they could be heated and used for fire. It was more of a passing fancy. Silvano rose from the water, straightening his back as he stared into the sky, toward the source of the sound. Then, large and heavy as he was, the King moved from the water. The rocks were deposited onto the bank, beneath a willow slowly growing buds of greenery as the weather slowly warmed for the long awaited spring.

He took to his hulking form, the quickest way to travel from one end to another, carrying his dark pants in his mouth with a care to not drool upon them. As soon as he caught the scent of stranger, he shifted once more, back into his two-legged form. He donned the garments and strode with all the regal manner allowed him as a King and a leader. It was his right to stand straight and proud. There was everything to be proud of.

The stranger was large, tall, almost as tall as him. His eyes narrowed in a flicker, then returned to something rather bland and blank. He thought nothing yet, other than someone of this size aught to know to use it. Emerald eyes focused in on the dark stranger, depths only lightly hidden from the unknown male. He was not a male to trifle with and he wanted it known clear as day. Then, he turned to look at his son.

"You've called for me, Freiherr?" Pascal may have been his son but that did not exclude him from the ranks, especially not before a stranger unknown to him and these parts. Silvano remembered the last time that the two of them had been at the borders and he had been gifted scars for that endeavor. "You are here to join us, stranger?" His gaze darted from his son to the dark male's face, focusing on intently on him.

Hey there! Would have had this up sooner were I not at home and cooking earlier.

SILVANO SADIRA
Now, I've learned it's better living in the moment. Enjoy youth, cause it doesn't last.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Dead
Gen
Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Do or die, and the story goes.

It seemed as though his skill with herbs had earned him a few bonus points with the Prince, but as Zhiv stood a few feet from the other male, watching his somewhat empty expression with a wary eye, he couldn't help but wonder just where his thoughts were truly heading. For all Zhiv knew, the Prince could very well be more on the hostile side than welcoming. Although his defenses had never truly been down since arriving near the pack lands, he felt himself tense up at the thought, glancing on either side of him, half-expecting other Court wolves to ambush him then and there.

He tried not to appear too apprehensive as he waited for the King, Pascal's father. He had no idea what to expect, and that scared him a little. A part of him imagined a somewhat older version of Pascal strolling towards them, speaking in that same, distant manner the Prince spoke in.

"Right," was Zhiv's attempt at a reply when Pascal spoke of the pack's ranking system. To be perfectly honest, he didn't really mind how everything worked, so long as the pack wasn't plagued by tension and hostility between members. The last thing he wanted was a repeat of his birth pack in Montana -- he was forced to flee with his parents and a small amount of other wolves, beginning a slow and painful trek up north and then many miles east. In the end, he'd been the last to survive. "Do you know a lot about humans?" he added conversationally. He wasn't able to read or write, but one of the wolves he'd traveled with over the last year used to tell him all sorts of stories from when humans used to walk the Earth. They were fascinating creatures, almost the stuff of myths and legends, if you wanted Zhiv's opinion. The only things that made the race even somewhat believable were the ruins of old cities they'd left behind.

In all honesty though, pushing the thought of humans aside, Zhiv wasn't at all worried about hierarchy. He was perhaps a little reserved, a little guarded, but he'd never been the rebellious kind. He would do what was asked of him here, and if ever came a day where he didn't see eye to eye with the Court's beliefs, or if he found their ways too suffocating... all he had to do was leave.

The idea that he could up and leave whenever he wanted was the only thing keeping him from running for the hills now.

When the King came into sight minutes later, Zhiv was taken aback. Fortunately, he was able to keep his expression under wraps, a skill he'd all but mastered over the years. The King was much larger than Zhiv would have guessed him to be upon seeing his son, who was considerably smaller. Albeit the difference in size and the King's assortment of scars, Zhiv had to admit, the father and son bore a striking resemblance. As Pascal informed him, Zhiv bowed, the movement somewhat stiff due to his poor living conditions over the winter months. "Your Majesty," he said formally, a tone that sounded so foreign to his ears.

Zhiv wasn't normally the kind of person to be intimidated. However, there is a blatant difference between intimidation and respect. The charcoal male kept the King's gaze for a lingering moment, emerald into icy blue. Zhiv nodded his affirmation. "I was just telling your-- er, Freiherr, that I believe I could be valuable to you and your Court." Was he over-doing it? He would never have spoken this way to a friend, or even a stranger out in the wilderness. This felt so... strained, unnatural. "I have skills in both herbalism as well as combat, and I believe I'm a decent hunter. I can hold my own, sir-- your Majesty. I will not be a burden."

He felt so freaking awkward.

OOC: -- | WC: 654 | Template by hilli

Mac J
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 am

You guys feel free to skip me to make this go faster, since Pas doesn't have much else to say. :3

Pascal was not bothered by the silence; not weighed down by social convention, he didn't feel the need to babble in most cases. His ears swiveled, and while his face remained still, a faint tension and fidgeting in his body betrayed some nervousness; he wanted his father to come soon so he knew if he'd done well and if Zhiv would be able to join them. He didn't have any questions about the ranks, which either meant he knew or he wasn't interested -- Pas would worry later.

The question drew him from his thoughts, and his tail wagged against the ground, stirring the grass. "I've read a lot of their books," he said. "Some of them are make-believe, with magic and stuff -- but humans are in all of them." He didn't consider himself an expert on their predecessors, but an interest was there.

Footsteps and scent announced the King, and Pascal eyed Zhiv quickly, glad to see that he bowed as instructed. Pascal dipped his head as well, half-hunched with ears flat and tail tucked close to his side; the posture was awkward in his seated Lupus form, but the submission was natural and clear. Now that Silvano was here to take over, he remained quiet other than nodding in agreement and greeting to his father. Zhiv was able to speak for himself about his skills, and so everything was left up to the King.

Loners
Wolf
Raze
Luperci
tale as old as time
misfit prince

POSTED: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Gonna go ahead and accept you! I don't want to hold you up because I am having a busy week and have been really tired.

Welcome to Cour des Miracles!

You've joined a bunch of misfits in a pack of freedom! There is plenty you can do to get started with us. New member should do some of the following;

• Visit our maintenance thread thread to add your character to our member directory / residency listing. You can also turn in points and request rewards.
    • You can add your own information to our directory or claim a residence at our wiki here.
  • Check out our laws and rules pages to see what you should know about the Court.
  • Take a look at the game, which could net you titles, icons, and other prizes!

Check out the open threads list to see if there is anyone who would like someone to join them. You may also start your own open thread, welcome to anyone in the pack. If that isn't your cup of tea, start a thread request or check out their posts to plot with other members!

Do you still need help with Cour des Miracle things? Feel free to contact Meghann (Charlotte) or Gen (Silvano) with your questions and concerns.
Welcome to the Court!

Cour des Miracles
OOC Account
Gen & Rat

Dead Topics