cultures collide

for the lovely Farina

POSTED: Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Vinatta was weird. Nothing felt right. There were too many luperci for his liking, they all wore crap around their necks, and some even went as far to cover up their bodies! It was all just a little too much for Altair, who’d grumpily chosen to stay in Palaydrian’s garden when they had first arrived, sleeping out on the grass then with the stars above as a blanket, because it was natural and getting comfortable on a bed was entirely out of the question. Fayne and their host had been kind enough to engage with him outside until the sun had gone down, though, at one point, the Aor Vald had gotten in a physical scuffle with him when he cornered a fox in her backyard.

Apparently, what he thought was just a pesky scavenger, was actually considered a part of Palaydrian’s family! He scoffed at that, but changed his tune when Fayne shot him a threatening look. Then he remembered, Leaf was the fox kit that had lived in New Dawn before Drin and her mate, Jiva, had left. His mom had told him about them, so he checked his manners. The Vald was a friend of Kiara and one of the reasons why she had come to New Dawn in the first place, she was also considered a sister of Fayne’s, so Altair needed to show some proper respect. They were the visitors here afterall.

He’d woken up early, not even attempting to poke his head inside the house, as the door had been propped open for him. That was too strange, not being able to feel the earth beneath his paws made him nervous, so he watched pale sun come up and eventually ventured off Palaydrian’s property. He didn’t want to suffocate Fayne, and probably wouldn’t be the best of help in diplomacy circumstances anyway, so he fell back on his instincts and the safe familiarity of a hunt. His kill would be an offering to Palaydrian, and maybe a way to apologize for his actions the other night. As he crept through the sleeping village, he thought back to their arrival. He’d seen one other viking in their natural form the other day, and wondered if he’d come across her again. The smell of pregnancy had been on her though, something he’d become familiar with as of late in his own pack, so he imagined she’d most likely still be sleeping.

The woods surrounding the Jord--something were dense and teeming with life, it was almost like home and the Glen Eyrie, but everything was unfamiliar. He didn’t let that deter his training, tracking down a doe after a while and transitioning into the high speed sprint of pursuit. The two beasts raced along, one a blur of tawny and gold, and the other, snow white. Large mismatched paws started closing the gap, the brute’s athletic legs giving a final push for him to launch his bear of a body at the fleeing animal’s rump. He tasted blood before sliding haphazardly off, but the doe was injured now and the chase would shortly come to a grisly end.

Backdated to the 20th.

+533

no one's gonna take me alive

X-tian
Luperci the darkest hour is just before the dawn A wounded deer leaps the highest.
Work Is Never Over

POSTED: Tue May 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Vaguely Farina knew something about visitors from New Dawn, but under jurisdiction of the Aor Vald it was unlikely their guests would have room to make trouble. Farina liked Palaydrian, so much as the wolfdog simply could not understand her, but their friendship was amiable and steady and the Soul long since proven trustworthy. Outside passing foreign scents on the wind—a scent known well to the vin Haki, for she still caught wind of small whiffs in her den since Florina's move within—Farina believed she would have little to do with their visitors, Diplomat or not. They must have had some specific purpose irrelevant to the Araedi unless someone should become hurt. Unlikely, if it was Palaydrian who chaperoned them.

Four-legged and weighed beneath the still-breaking daze of sleep, Farina blinked eyes out of unison and raised head to stamping feet and apparent pursuit, coal ears swiveling with the sound. Catching the branches above her head in his talons Niruin cawed and wiggled in place, hungry for the action, but did not await his partner's permission. The peregrine hawk had parted from tree and into the canopies, abandoning Farina and all hopes for proper training down by the river as she had hoped.

Damn. It was too damn early for this.

With a grunt she set into pursuit of her own, knowing well how active the hawk was in the morning, how young and brash and curious he was with the right stimulation. Between beating footsteps did her spine lengthen and shoulders grow, a transformation made sluggish by weariness but completed in full size and power by the time stranger and his prey were discovered. New Dawn entered her nostrils. She thought of Lyris first, how their hunt had started so similarly, and wasted no further time.

The white wolf caught the doe's rear but did not hold, losing valuable time regaining footing while the prey escaped with injury. Powering through the brush Farina abruptly cut off its line of direction to slow progress, then set on its trail knowing well she possessed not the speed but power to take it down, should her impromptu hunting partner redirect it once more her way. A bark shook from her chest, one wordless declaration that the ball was once more in his court, that she was a further ally if he so desired it, and that the hunt was not yet over so long as she remained in chase.

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:33 pm

After temporarily losing his footing, the hulking brute corrected his legs with a low growl, kicking up dirt and loose fauna as he took off after the wounded deer. He could taste victory on his tongue already, adrenaline helping to make up for the lost time as he continued plunging headlong through unexplored woods. Vaguely, The Epsilon registered the form flying up above, funny to think carrion predators would already be tracking his chase, but he kept his eyes focused on his target, bristling then when a dark form came charging through the woods before him. One glance up was all it took for the Amarok male to notice the impressive hybrid, if there was one positive thing he could comfortably admit about luperci, it was that the secui form only offered more bulk and power to the natural form.

He inhaled the viking in one breath, seeing that she wasn’t here to challenge him for the meat, but instead lending her paws to the hunt. The other’s fearsome presence was all it took for the doe to buckle from her frantic escape, forced to veer off to the right or meet certain death in the viking’s claws. Altair strafed to the side, making up for the ground he’d lost and charging her at an angle. His impromptu partner’s bark goaded him on, a bloodied grimace forming on his determined lips. Two was always better than one, especially with larger game, and thankfully Altair’s massive ego was able to take a knee in hunts like this.

The brute snapped his pinking fangs once he got within range of the doe’s spindly legs. She gave a snorted cry of dismay, eyes rolling in terror as she tried to get away, but Altair’s shepherding move had worked, the doe was now turning back onto the disturbed ground and going left. He growled and snarled, clouding the prey’s mind with sounds of pursuit, anything to cause the doe to slip up or make a wrong move. Fear was a powerful weapon and right now his target had wrongfully forgot about the intervening secui in the woods.

+359

X-tian
Luperci the darkest hour is just before the dawn A wounded deer leaps the highest.
Work Is Never Over

POSTED: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:11 am

Farina did not believe the torn-up male of New Dawn would have accepted her wordless offer to assist. Talented in his hunting methods, the stranger controlled his game with enough tact to take down the beast single-handedly, but turned it instead to dart the way it had come and into the dark secui awaiting in the woods.

As she had done so many times before, the vin Haki caught up and threw all weight against its fleeing body, burying jaws in its throat and claws in its torso and shoulders. The doe gagged and flailed, jabbing its intervener square in the gut with her hooves more than once. Farina hiccuped, the wind of her lungs escaping between her digging teeth, but she did not release the prey. Tossing her head she dragged the doe to the ground and pinned it, patiently awaiting the slow-rising stillness of its body until all movement had ceased.

She raised head to the white male when he reappeared, blood thick in her fur and teeth. "You're good," she said, snorting. "Don't know who you are, though."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:53 am

Altair kept up his pursuit, hazel eyes watching the dark mass streak through the woods until she skillfully threw her own weight into their tawny prey’s body. Both went down to the forest floor, the dulled impact sounding off in the brute’s ears until the doe’s cries began to ignite the air. Her throes were short lived as they quickly turned into gurgles, a strange silence filling the gloom until birds tentatively took up their chatter once more. Panting softly, Altair padded towards the fallen beast and the huntress atop it, his nares flaring as he breathed in the viking’s scent above the thick bouquet of blood.

Not bad yourself, he returned in a gruff voice, surprised that he’d actually meant it. Apparently, his tolerance for shifters was growing, and that wasn't a bad thing. Altair Amarok, the youth supplied with a nod of his head, tongue lashing out to lap the sticky blood clinging beneath his chin. I’m a Guardian from New Dawn, he continued, because technically, it was Fayne that was doing the visiting and he was more so a bodyguard for the Delta.

We’re staying with one of your Vahl---Epsilon, or hunters, the brute amended, some of the viking words still foreign on his tongue, but he was under the impression that Palaydrian’s duties were akin to his own back in the Glen Eyrie. She was a hunter, scout, and protector of these lands, and he knew the siamese female had once held his own title when she lived in New Dawn.

You might know her, Palaydrian? He asked, noticing the carved wood around the other’s neck, he wondered if Vinatta was a tight knit pack as his was, knowing the scents and faces of all his brothers and sisters came with the territory of sharing one den.

+314

X-tian
Work Is Never Over

POSTED: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Farina recognized neither his first name or last, somewhat sheltered as she was, but the male confirmed himself as New Dawn and if but unofficial and in her eyes alone, an ally. The feral pack had taken in her sister for over a year, fed her, sharpened her skills and returned her in well enough condition to lead the bustling Vinátta with some semblance of experience. Thinking of Lyris, Farina knew the wolves of New Dawn to be more rough and tumble than a majority of Vináttans, and perhaps it was for that reason she enjoyed their company. She might have fit in among them herself.

"Vald," she said for him once the head scout was named. "Áðr Vald, actually. Head of the tier. She's a friend, but we don't get to work together too often."

Had Farina followed the Vald ranks as so many expected her to, she might have known Palaydrian better. Nonetheless, the siamese Soul was respected in the young Araedi's eyes, and she made a silent note to herself not to trespass any of her guests. "She's got a kid there, too, little golden guy. Hope the crowd in his house isn't scaring him."

She motioned with a nodded head to help himself to the kill and stood idly by, not hungry. "Some sort of business going down in New Dawn that brought you by?" she asked. "My sister was a member there a good year. Florina—you know her? Anyway, she took over for our mother at head of the pack when she came home."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:03 pm

The scarred male’s head nodded in recognition and thanks of the supplied word. Vald. He committed it to to memory along with the given title belonging to his host, so he’d not appear a simpleton if someone else asked him of his stay in Vinatta. The brute also didn’t want to come off as rude to the other vikings, thinking that since he was here, he might as well get accustomed to their strange words and familiarize himself with their culture. He’d never be a diplomat between packs, but he could make the effort to expand the mind so confined within his own realm and box.

Oh, you have another rank then? He asked conversationally, a bit confused because he assumed she was an Epsilon or Vald like himself, but he’d let her put his queries to rest in time. Besides, the Amarok male already decided that he liked this dark furred female as she didn’t seem to be part of the more dainty and fragile sex. Not that there was anything wrong with being a girl, but he was truly impressed that she’d been able to take down the doe. A skilled huntress made for one less mouth to feed in a pack of wolves.

And foxes, he added, a slight smirk on his lips, I mean--they’re her family though, so… his voice trailed off, this was something he just couldn’t understand. The fox and vixen were other predators, thus prey for wolves, right? Apparently “wrong” here, and he’d learned the hard way not to mess with the red pelted Leaf and his mate, after Palaydrian had defended her terrified son from Altair’s willing jaws and wrestled him to the ground. I sleep outside, he finished with a shrug and flick of his tail, dismissing the embarrassing episode from his mind. The houses were too much for a soul that prefered nature and the dark insides of a den.

That’s why she seemed so familiar! I know her well, he replied with a soft smile, she had been Epsilon as well and his favorite competitor up until she left, pushing him to do better and to train harder. It didn’t surprise him that the pale she-wolf had risen to a high place here, she’d always seemed destined for greatness. The Delta, Fayne, wanted to visit her sisters--old pack sisters, Palaydrian and Sky. They used to be New Dawn wolves, he answered her question, attention turning to the doe then when he shook his head. I was hunting her down for the Aor Vald, making amends, --for my foolishness, he almost admitted, but left the explanation at that.

+466

X-tian
Work Is Never Over

POSTED: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 am

"That's right—Araedi," replied Farina, swelling just so with pride. "Vald scout. Araedi protect. And hunt, once in a while, I suppose. My uncle trained me to be a Vald, pretty much." Her head tilted, gaze expectant, prompting him to follow suit and explain his own role and purpose. Outside its preference for four-legged members, Farina knew little of the Dawns.

She nodded and shrugged at mention of foxes, possessing little to no connection to them. "Leaf and Ivy, I think. I don't know them. Her other kids are a little weird, too." The golden one went without saying, but what few interactions she experienced between Taro and Tyris had not left a grand impression. A smirk pulled. "I don't blame you."

Altair knew her sister—no surprise, all things considered. Florina was not one for subtleties and keeping her damn mouth shut. He smiled, however, and Farina questioned how her sister might have ever left a positive impact. "I'll help you drag it back," she said of the doe, and began a shift to two legs at once.

With his approval Farina would swing the doe effortlessly over her shoulders and motion for him to lead the way, questioning regardless, "How did my sister do over there, anyway? She didn't make trouble, I hope?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Araedi, another peculiar word added to the brain bank whilst the scarred male’s head dipped again in understanding. He gave a soft huff, realizing that he and this wolfdog shared more similarities than he’d previously thought. She was both hunter and defender as he was back in New Dawn, but had learned unlike his own pack, they simply had different rank names to designate duties while the Dawn wolves lumped anything remotely Vald or Araedi under one umbrella, Epsilon. There were subsidiary titles a pack member could take on of course, more tasks that came with different responsibilities such as his Guardian rank, but it seemed the vikings operated in tiers. The concept was a bit lost on him, a separation of duties like this, but he was thankful she’d given him a little more insight.

His head bobbed again when she reacted to his comment about the foxes and named the pair that frequented Palaydrian’s home. An amused smile followed that, curving the edges of his mouth. He hadn’t met the other children Fayne had named, besides than Dagr, but he had no other reason not to believe the dark furred female. I’ll take your word for it, he joked, if they were anything like the stunted youth in the Aor’s house, he could see why she claimed such a thing. There was something a little off about the kid, but keeping outdoors meant he had very little interaction with Palaydrian’s youngest, and besides, he’d caused such a ruckus when pouncing Leaf, he was sure the pup wanted nothing to do with him.

Thanks, he replied, shying away slightly in an awkward manner when the other began to shift, eyes averted to the side while he listened to her change, he realized she was still a stranger. I’ll tell you all about her time in New Dawn if you’d tell me your name, the Amarok male promised, turning back and relieved to see she was done. Already a formidable creature in her normal form, now Florina’s sister was towering above him. He nodded towards the carcass, watching her swing it up to her shoulders with ease. He supposed there had to be some things to admire about the luperci form, but he’d never verbally admit it.

Setting off towards the cluster of homes he’d stalked away from, Altair glanced back to make sure the Araedi was following. Florina liked testing her limits, it was almost as if she had a deathwish, he admitted, having witnessed her sparring sessions turn into full out violent fights. It was like she wanted her packmates to hit her as hard as they could, almost like she couldn’t even feel pain. Sometimes I couldn’t tell if she and the Alpha’s son really cared for one another, or if they wanted to kill each other. As if her sister wanted to know these things about his ex-packmate, but Altair always wondered why the pale wolfdog seemed to walk around with a chip on her shoulder, he questioned what had happened to her that made Florina so prone to violence.

+536

X-tian
Work Is Never Over

Dead Topics