always had to learn the hard way

POSTED: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Skye was not blind to what had happened; she knew that Micah had left them. But for some reason now, it had not angered her as it would have in the past. Something about letting new leadership help her, something about opening her heart back to Jazper, had also soothed her feelings about those who left. It happened; she accepted that now. But she still wanted to find Micah, if only to decipher what had happened to make him leave.

She did try to find him after she saw his house - it was bloodied and messy, and smelled of Micah's fear. The only clue he had left was a large red star, which Skye knew was associated with Lykois; she had assumed that he had gone to Inferni, but she could not tell why he had been injured. Thomas had agreed to help her track his scent, but it had faded away shortly into Ethereal Eclipse; Skye could do nothing else than assume, then. She traveled with Jack to the coyote pack to be greeted by her son Nathaniel, who had been patrolling, only to be told that no small, skinny, black coyotes had been seen lingering around. She had left, but she knew that she'd return.

And today was that day. It had been a while since her last visit, but she did want to know more answers, and see if perhaps Micah had been seen lately. Perhaps she wouldn't have tried if he hadn't left the blood, but the lingering feeling that perhaps something could have happened to him in his own home, despite their new defenses, couldn't leave Skye. She also wanted to see Inferni's leaders, if she could - she had not interacted with the pack outside of Nathaniel in a while, and wanted to be sure that no ill feelings were brooding. She halted Jack on the skull-spiked borders of Inferni, a small sling over her shoulder with some dried herbs and cannabis as well as a few seeds, as signs of goodwill. She dismounted her horse and held on his reigns as she let out a low, wolfish howl across the lands.

323+ words

by the amazing Alaine!

Sunny
Luperci Mate to Jazper
crown of clay
My Sunny One

POSTED: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:14 pm

PP of Vesper with permission! Raze will be replying after this as we said. ^^

He had been a part of Inferni scarcely two or three days at most—admittedly, the time was already breezing by to point that he could not keep control of it. The change was jarring, overwhelming, the man plagued with worries for if he was embarrassing himself as a new member, if he had made a terrible mistake by leaving Cercatori d'Arte. He hated to disappoint Vesper, the leader coy whose standards he could not quite place, but she did not seem to lose patience with his flustering when she checked on him.

By his request she agreed to allow his companionship on her all-too-common walk around the borders, dropping the occasional pointer but clinging tight to focus and devotion. Micah was no scout by trade, too naturally distracted by blue skies and birds and the way the wind pushed thanks to the pack of his youth, but it was not Razekiel's dear Mother Earth that time and time again swayed his attention. The skull-tipped borders, though customary of Inferni, were more macabre than the image the clan wanted to inspire in his opinion, and brought back memories of Belial he did not wish to revisit. Or perhaps that was just the scent in the wind that vaguely resembled the Massacre. Surely that was only Micah's imagination.

At the wolfish call his ears flipped, the four-legged coyote lagging behind his torn leader as she attended promptly to the arrived visitor. "It's Skye," he said with some delay, shortly before the redheaded Collins fell into their view.

Tail tucked and posture shrinking, Micah lowered close enough to the ground to nearly drag belly in the dirt. He could not meet his former leader's eyes, even despite any greetings Vesper had already voiced, and choked a few choice words over his closing throat and pounding heart: "Sk-Sk-Skye, I, I-I'm so, umm, I-I-I..."

For the first time in months, he felt his body shaking again.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 pm

The grass did not hardly grow in some areas where the tracks of patrollers churned dirt and mud. All four feet were tinged brown rather than white as Vesper walked along one of her usual trails, occasionally drawing herself from her surroundings long enough to address Micah. Still—she was practically meditating, in her own world, until a howl broke through the sound of footsteps and birdsong.

Micah piped up as the two Lupus coyotes headed toward the call, and Vesper nodded. Yeah. I've met her, she said, once. Enough to appreciate the woman's practical nature, one without the pomp of most southern packs—but she'd been swindled that day, too, accepting a caged wild bird not worth the trade. It only made her respect Skye, and remain wary of her because of that respect. With Micah here, she did not know how this would go, but from her carriage one would not tell; she was confident, quietly dominant, and cool as she finally approched the d'Artisan leader.

She dipped her head in brief acknowledgment to Skye, while Micah crept behind her—submissive, stammering. Vesper did not look at him, but she did allow her body to stand nicely before him.

Hello, Skye, Vesper said. Do you want something of us?

There was no emphasis on the last word, but it was chosen carefully. Micah was Inferni's now.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Her call was answered rather quickly - more quickly than she'd expected, that was. She saw Micah first, and a brief smile appeared on her face before it faded back to neutrality; he was alive, and apparently had found sanction in Inferni, rather than be dragged off somewhere, tortured without another word to Cercatori d'Arte by the likes of Belial or Judas.

"Sanction" was relative, however, and Skye could see as Micah and the leader, Vesper, grew closer that Micah was shaking again, stammering so badly that she could hardly make out what he was saying. It was clear to her that something traumatic had happened to him, perhaps so much so that he had reverted to the way he was before he had even come to Cercatori d'Arte: a trembling, stammering, shaking mess.

Her eyes traveled to Vesper's as the mottled female approached her and dipped her head briefly. She remembered her last encounter with Vesper; she could tell that they were alike in many ways, and yet were worlds apart, dead-set on leading their own packs no matter the consequences. Skye could respect Vesper's determination and dedication towards Inferni, but she remained wary all the same, as she felt of all canines who reminded her even a small bit of herself.

"Hello, Vesper," she said, not unfriendly, but also not swaying or compromising her posture. She was not dominant, but rather relaxed, allowing her tail to lie straight and ears to fall naturally forward. "I come with gifts of good-will towards Inferni," she said, holding out the pack full of dried herbs and seedlings from their garden and placing it on the ground. Her gaze switched to Micah, her eyes not cold, and containing a hint of relief.

"I was wondering what had become of Micah," she said to Vesper, eyes still trained on the male for a second before switching back to the other coyote. "He had left suddenly, and his home had signs of injury. I had come earlier, but my son informed me that he was not here." Her eyes switched again to the dark coyote, not wishing to speak directly to him yet, as Vesper's body was shielding him, and he still seemed to be a shaking mess, unable to respond.

376+ words

by the amazing Alaine!

Sunny
Luperci Mate to Jazper
crown of clay
My Sunny One

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:38 am

Refusing to meet the eyes of his former leader, Micah stood from greater length and glanced his shoulders despairingly, willing a distraction to appear, an escape to enable him. This was a conversation he knew inevitable to come when he left Cercatori d'Arte; for it to have come so soon, he had not anticipated. It should have taken them longer to notice his leave, and the fact that it did not put him at greater edge.

Thankfully Vesper took control of the conversation, and the two women disregarded his idiotic babbling in full. Skye mentioned a son within the clan, unknown to Micah, and though he glanced to the Centurion for confirmation, his almond eyes returned to Infernian dirt thereafter. "I, I stayed in the mountains a wh-while," he said, his ears flattened to point that his hearing muffled. "I-I, umm, I-I-I... I couldn't decide i-if I, umm, if I did the right thing."

His forelegs withdrew, hiding the scars that tore up the undersides. "I, I got attacked," he said, struggling to make his reasoning sound logical outside his own mind. "I-I-I wanted to train, and..." Of course Skye would have done something about it, had he brought the problem to her. He knew it so.

But he was so insignificant, so useless a member—who was he to disturb the leader with petty issues?

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Sorry -- not a lot I can think for Ves to say. @_@ So silence.

Blue eyes darted to the sack, and Vesper stepped forward to crouch and sniff it. She could not gauge its exact contacts immediately, but she did smell plants that would be of use in the greenhouse. Thank you, she said, straightening again with a sincere half-smile. Gifts, while they did not always secure friendship with the independent coyotes, were never turned away. Ves simply considered it the rest of the trade for the wild eagle.

She was more relieved to see that Skye was not angry—that she was even concerned and relieved that Micah was well, or well enough. Vesper glanced back at him, meeting his gaze when he looked up, and stood neutrally as he babbled an explanation for his presence in the fire clan.

Vesper glanced curiously at Skye for her reaction, but bit down any statement she thought to make. She did not want to offend Skye by emphasizing that Micah was protected here and implying that he was not in Cercatori d'Arte, and she did not want to prompt the woman for thoughts or decisions. It was for Micah to decide where his place was and for Skye to decide how she felt about it. She was, despite her leading role, only an extra in this meeting.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Vesper thanked Skye for the goods, but said no more; Skye knew that she felt that now, it was between the creamy leader and the black male who had run away to Inferni. Her gaze switched from the mottled leader who had earned her respect to the dark male, who seemed still to be struggling in life, but at least was eager to learn.

The truth was bared: he had been attacked. Skye curled back a lip in a snarl, but it was not towards Micah, but towards whoever dared to touch yet another of her packmates. Would the attacks ever end? Was there ever to be peace in Cercatori d'Arte, or was the pack truly cursed by murderers, thieves, and criminals, like some members that had left had believed? Was it truly their fate to be again and again attacked, regardless of how hard she tried to protect them?

Her thoughts cleared for a moment as she settled her facial expression on something more neutral so as not to scare Micah. He looked at her (or rather, around her), seeming unsure and afraid, as was his default, she thought. She would rage, would question, but when she was safely at home. First, she needed to heal over the wounds with Micah.

"I understand," she said to him, no hostility in her voice. She didn't blame him. His pack had failed to protect him, just as much as he had failed to protect himself. Lowry had gone, and he had been attacked, right after Mistral had left him - was it any wonder that he wanted to leave the past behind him? "You don't have to explain, Micah. I hope you find what you are looking for here." What it was that he was looking for, Skye thought she knew; he was done with being weak. Being defenseless. She dipped her head to Vesper one more time; she was done here, now, too. She knew that Inferni would take care of him; he was no longer of d'Arte now, but of the fiery clan in the north.

346+ words

by the amazing Alaine!

Sunny
Luperci Mate to Jazper
crown of clay
My Sunny One

Dead Topics