The Mountain and the Viper

POSTED: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:38 pm

CRACK.

The steel-lined tip of Kali's whip ripped through bark and tree flesh, chips of wood sparking free from their home and clattering to the loamy earth in a deadened procession. Many slashes such as this one littered the defenseless timber; and yet, the perpetrator was still not satisfied.

CRACK.

She struck again, now deaf to the whistling of her ranged weapon as it flew and the resounding splinter of air and tree that followed in its wake.

CRACK.

Rook, too, had grown accustomed to noise of her frightening, supernatural appendage -- the dog couldn't see the whip as little else than an extension of her, as exquisitely as she used it -- and he lie several yards behind her, sphinx-like and relaxed.

CRACK.

All adrenaline, frustration, and fury flashed forward through the snake-curve of her whip, though none of it seemed to be relinquished with any of her strikes. She was still mad, still avoiding, still repressing. And alone it all showed. Clear as day and large like a tidal wave. Kali was relentless in her destruction. It was the only thing about her that seemed and felt constant.

Cheshire
Luperci I know the devil wears a leopard coat Ghost of the Saber Tooth Tiger Tru Blood
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 am

Micah is neither a mountain nor a viper in any sense but here he is anyway. :I

It was only a matter of time before Kali and Micah would unite again, for she was partial reason he had cast aside bias against his bloodline and coyote clan to leave the artists' pack and join Inferni. The matter had not been discussed between the two to any extent; more than likely, Kali knew nothing of his arrival or intentions.

Though the Lykoi had kept to himself in his first few days of membership, on his mind Kali had been though admittedly, anixety had delayed seeking her out. They had met on a few occasions to train since their first greetings, but not enough to warrant Micah some means of actual defense against the black and brutish man that had chopped up his arms and knocked out his teeth. Micah hated to think how Kali would react to his pitiful scars and outstanding bones. She'd probably laugh and mock and, if she deemed him still worthy of training, work him harder than ever. He deserved it.

The Lykoi knew she kept a whip from their sessions, but not once had he seen it in use. Its sound divided the air at length, and though Micah had not ventured forth to find her at the time, he took the time to prepare his thoughts and settle his anxieties. Hoping it was she at the other end of the sound and not someone far, far worse, the granite coyote weaved trees to find Kali within.

She was not in pleasant mood. He thought of passing by, pretending he had never noticed her, but knew it too late. Rook had already detected him. Summoning courage Micah played with fingers and muttered, "Umm—he-hello, K-Kali."

He tried to angle the scars on his face out of her sight, and took a moment to pull the cuffs of his sweatshirt down to hide the lowest gashes of his arms. If he was lucky, conversation could be veered to the obvious problems on her mind than his own.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Kali can be both, ok? Ok. *puts Micah in her pocket*

The Akita chuffed to alert Kali of Micah's presence. She knew her dog's sounds, and could find differences in them despite his actual range. The particular sound he made meant that a comrade was approaching, and she glanced over her shoulder to see Micah.

But her eyes left after less than a second, his presence didn't seem to register, or it didn't surprise her somehow.

Not many things tended to elude Kali; she didn't sleep often, and she always seemed to find out things due to hunter's tactics. So it would've been entirely rational for her to have already known that he was here...

Fortunately for Micah, Kali had been too emotionally preoccupied to notice his arrival or his gentle avoidance thereafter. If she had known, he would've been ruthlessly hunted down and strangled a little for good measure. Because you did not simply join your mentor's pack (related or not) and not tell them.

He greeted her in his normal stammer, and she let her severe weapon whistle violently towards its target without missing a beat. "Micah, how many times," the whip struck wood with a SNAP; "I gotta tell ya that if y'gonna stutter when you talk t'me, just shut u—" the whip hung limply at her side, and she turned again to look fully at Micah.

She saw him now. She realized where they were and how odd it felt. "What are you doing here?" she steeled, her arms hanging stiff at her sides as she glared at him, demanding.

Cheshire
Luperci I know the devil wears a leopard coat Ghost of the Saber Tooth Tiger Tru Blood
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Timber took his punishment, cracked and cracked with the increasing temper behind her words, and with every strike the Lykoi sunk deeper into his shoulders. Sheepish and sympathetic to her anger—he had been a fool not to ask her input before leaving behind much of his former life and rushing to her aid—Micah tousled his fingers about one another with downcast eyes, enduring her anger as accustomed. She had complained of his stuttering before and he had not learn. He deserved every piece of scolding she chose to lash at him like the whip's end itself.

And then it stopped. The whip ceased, her tempers ceased, and when Micah raised his eyes in nervous curiosity, they locked with that haunting orange, lessened in intensity while soaking in surprise.

But Kali turned on him again soon after, and tempers flared in a new way. He cowered. "I-I-I, I joi-joined," gagged the male, hands holding one another to stop the shaking that threatened to rise. He swallowed. "I joined Inferni. Kali, I-I'm sorry, I just couldn't stay th-there any longer, I-I-I—"

The words were lost on him. Squeezing his eyes together, the male upturned the insides of his arms, revealing the number of gashes across, and with a trembling finger thereafter drew back his lower lip to expose the missing teeth there. Micah had shown none of Inferni his newest scars, and heavier shame set upon him and pulled away his eyes.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 am

Rook had noticed an intense change in Kali as Micah revealed his extensive injuries to the war-bred coyote. He had become most attuned to her wrath, for he seemed to fear it more than anything corporeal, and almost immediately the dog was on all four paws and was padding away in urgent haste without simply breaking into a cowardly run.

And Kali's wrath was great. It was also unexpected. She had not been wholly prepared for her own reaction to seeing Micah with such wounds, and at first it was delayed. Her eyes brightened and tightened, her mouth opening slightly like a predator tasting the blood of a future kill on the air. She could feel herself trembling, vibrating, but in all reality she was entirely rigid. Frozen like stone. And it seemed a millennia before she reanimated.

Her whip was abandoned on the ground, and she was before the lean, stammering brute too quickly to have walked. "Who did this?" she demanded, unabashedly using her hands to (un)carefully angle his wounds better for her savage eyes. She looked up at him, angry.

Tell me who did this and I'll raze their entire family to the fucking ground. If he'd learned yet to read her eyes, then this was what he saw.

Cheshire
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 am

Rook's rather urgent self-dismissal might have been plenty telling for soon to come circumstances, and Micah gazed after him startled and puzzled and self-conscious. With hesitance he dragged back his gaze to her, immediately thrown to the ground thereafter by the intensity—the flames he could have sworn he saw burning in her eyes.

Micah knew her well enough to expect her temper, but not for the reasons she voiced. Since the scarring he had played over and over the proceedings of their first reunion thereafter: He would stammer and show his scars, and Kali would either scold him for being a fool or scold him for not using what he had learned or scold him for being a coward and abandoning his pack and anything else the burning girl could put together as an argument. Micah had never scrounged together a proper retort to any of the possibilities, least of all that which unfolded before him now.

Her wrath came. The accusations didn't. Not yet, anyway. He deserved the blame.

"I-I-I don't know hi-his name," mumbled the Lykoi, bewildered by her proximity, her dire interest. It was almost as if she might have been protective—vengeful—over him. Why? What worth had he as her burden and annoyance? "He, he might have been a dog, umm, pointed ears and—a-a-and black and tan and the way he talked—"

Eyes squeezed together. "I-It's my fault, Kali, really. I w-was too trusting. I should have known better than, than to keep wandering away from home by myself."

I thought I could handle it, he omitted. "I'm, I'm so sorry. I'm such a— I-I'm such a damn—"

A damn failure. Her student, yet again a failure. She must have been so damn ashamed.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:49 am

Her teeth glimmered wetly in a silent snarl, taking in Micah's half-bred description as if he were giving her the answers to life itself. Lastly he apologized, and if this had been her brother at this exact moment, her fingers would've been at his throat, choking him into silence. Anger blazed in her eyes, and her body tensed in such a way that Micah should've expected to be stricken...

But she relaxed a half-second later, her shoulders rolling back with a sharp inhale and exhale through her nostrils. Coolly, her hand came up to his face, touching the less injured side of his face with a gentleness she had never shared with him before. Apologize to me again, fer sum'n like this... an' I'll wreck you worse, I swear it. Her words were soft and direct, but too calm—honest, if nothing else.

Her thumb stroked his cheek once, twice, and then her scarred palm dropped. I'm gonna kill whoever did this to ya. Don't bother tryna convince me othahwise, she said as she turned away from him, retrieving her whip and re-assuming her original stance. The whip sang before chipping the tree once more.

Rook had circled back at some point, and he was lingering uncertainly somewhere behind Micah to his left. The dog whimpered quietly, before moving forward and nudging his large head beneath the tall man's hand. He looked towards Kali, though seemed to be on much the same page as the Lykoi in regards to the frightened Luperci before them. So where ya been hidin' from me at? she asked after throwing her weapon again and viciously scarring the tree as if it were the face of Micah's attacker.

She looked over her shoulder, checking his face for a lie as he answered.

Cheshire
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:36 am

Micah wanted to tell her the outsider was crooked, unpredictable, and that he seemed to lack clarity of consciousness. The Lykoi had gone out of his way to avoid interaction and offense when passing the man on the road, and yet the attack occurred—firstly against his horse, no less, a bystander as innocent as could be. Micah wanted to warn her, but knew it pointless. She could handle herself, and following the uncharacteristic sentimentality she exposed by stroking at his cheek, he wondered if the de le Poer was any more explainable than the man that scarred him.

"You-you-you don't have to do that." Micah stiffened in place as always under her touch. He expected a violent backlash and was caressed instead. The bewilderment frustrated him and he fought to make sense of her actions to no avail. Kali parted, disciplining the tree in his stead with her whip. Disregarding comment not to discourage her, he continued. "I'll, I'll probably never even see him again," he said to her back. "I-I mean, it's, it's not your responsibility to get involved or anything. I-I'm just, I'm just training with you. I don't—I shouldn't mean anything more to someone like you."

His eyes dropped. He was not worth retribution, not by one so talented as she. He was not even worth the training she so graciously offered him.

"Um," he stammered, startled when she questioned him and flipped her gaze at him expectantly. "I-I've been, umm, around the Riperian Moors with Bark. Before that I was, I was in the mountains a couple weeks after the attack. I couldn't de-decide if I should come here or not." Had she been looking for him for their regular training? He squinted his eyes, scolding himself for how rude it had been to disappear.

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

POSTED: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:25 am

Of course Micah would object. Fear controlled his life, making him completely foreseeable, while Kali was as wanton and unpredictable as the sea; changing, powerful, and magnetizing. She barely even heard his opposition over the roaring waves in her own head.

As the steel-lined tip of her weapon retracted, she rounded on Micah furiously—because this was what he wanted right? For her to be angry?—and she snarled at him terribly. It don't matta' what ya are t' me, Micah! she barked, her left hand clutching the whip's base, and her right tightening around its mid-section. A brief second went by where she thought she might strike him with it...

If she thought about it, she honestly didn't know what the Lykoi male was to her. To the two of them, it probably didn't seem like much besides young teacher and hapless pupil; but to anyone on the outside looking in, they would notice Kali's stringent behavior. They would notice her effort and emotion where usually she was calloused and blank. Micah meant something to her, whether either of them knew it or not.

Tha point is I'm trainin' you—yer mine... an' when I find whoeva' did this, they're dead, d'ya understand me? Dead. She'd stopped showing her teeth, stopped being angry at him, and she whirled again in a flurry of thick hair and blurred colors, flicking her weapon out with vicious casualty as it ripped another chunk from her intended wood target. She wouldn't argue about it anymore, that was all he needed to understand.

A long silence crested between them, filled only with the cracking of her whip. Sometime during this silence, Rook had carefully returned, coming to stand safely at Micah's side and pressing his large skull beneath the man's slender fingers. Kali had calmed by this time and reserved herself to asking a more neutral question, and when he finally answered, she stopped slaying her tree, and let her whip hang limply from her hand.

I thought ya'd given up with me, she admitted after a pregnant pause in which she just stared at him. Her chin lifted slightly, and she crossed her arms across her chest, whip pooling down her stomach like a relaxed snake. Well stay in the Moors if ya want, but I want y'tah stay in the Mansion wit' me. In my room, she thought to clarify with the bumbling Luperci, who she assumed would certainly act prudish towards the idea of sharing a room with her. She grinned, cruel and knowing.

Refuse me an' I won't consider it again, Micah. Not even if you beg.

Cheshire
A Storm Exists
Superbia
Eyes like the Basilisk
Vicious

POSTED: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Eyes the shade of a departing sun turned on him far faster than the star had ever set. Freezing in place, Micah endured her shouts and temper with visible terror just short of panic, the whip in his peripheral vision. He would not glance at it. If he moved, if he budged, like rubber stretched thin she would snap. Micah stared into the shining whites of her teeth with breath caught in his throat, despair made tangible and formed into a terrible lump he struggled to swallow when Kali withdrew at last.

You're mine, she'd said, and perhaps he dwelled too long on the words. There was nothing he could have done to have earned her vengeance and protection; he had not even thought them friends, assuming Kali only bothered with him out of pity. Shaken from his worries by the quiet reappearance of Rook, Micah flattened his hand where the Akita placed his head beneath granite palm, a gentle reassurance to the dog's anxieties. With pause Micah replied, submitting to her intensity, "I, I, I understand."

A crack split in her boorish demeanor following span to breathe and for he to reply. It was brief, that tiny glimpse of a softer interior, and left in its wake a Lykoi doubled in curiosity.

"No, no, never," he said, perhaps too quickly. "I swear. Considering my luck, it's just... I mean, you—you could be saving my life, you know?"

He tried to laugh, but it fell short with her next words.

Color seeped from his face somewhere behind a thousand granite strands. Never had he wandered the mansion, knowing well how many of his clanmates resided within; surely they would get the wrong idea if he and Kali shared a room. In company they were but master and pupil, warrior and whelp; separated they were night and day, too different even to be associated by name. Thunderstruck he stared, fingers splaying slowly to wordlessly evidence sheer bewilderment, but banned he was from arguing. Refusing her, in her own words, in which lay implications not at all lost on him but all of which were confounding and unthought of.

"Oh," he said slowly, shaking himself from daze and putting forth a tiny laugh filled with doubt. She was joking. That was it, wasn't it? Micah was so helpless he needed protection even at night. He had but overreacted in a misunderstanding."I-I, umm, I get it. Kali, I'm not—I'm not that helpless..."

Lin
Luperci
passion, hope
& resistance

Dead Topics